Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Tbone
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by Tbone »

You guys do realize that we've just created the blueprint for the future nursing homes that will simply be small pods of old people with VR headsets. Personally I think I'm going to view that as an upgrade when I get old :lol:
vtms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vtms »

I'm excited about Oculus Rift precisely because I'm not a gamer. I just want to feel like I'm somewhere else, experience something new, relax. I don't want to be shooting monsters.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

vtms wrote:I'm excited about Oculus Rift precisely because I'm not a gamer. I just want to feel like I'm somewhere else, experience something new, relax. I don't want to be shooting monsters.
That's okay buddy, don't worry. I'll take care of the monsters.
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Mel »

vtms wrote:I'm excited about Oculus Rift precisely because I'm not a gamer. I just want to feel like I'm somewhere else, experience something new, relax. I don't want to be shooting monsters.
Ditto for me, but I do want it to be visceral. Anything that gives me vertigo, basically.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

To be fair, not all games are about shooting monsters.... just most of them :P
Really, the chance VR offers to make non-violent adventure games more immersive is immense. Or to further blur the lines between games and movies. I also would like to explore and interact with exciting otherworldly virtual locations more than attack monsters guns blazing (although that's fun sometimes too). In the virtual world, there's room for everything 8-)
vtms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vtms »

MrGreen wrote:
That's okay buddy, don't worry. I'll take care of the monsters.
Not that there's anything wrong with games about shooting monsters, of course. So, go ahead, shoot them up. :) But I think VR's appeal reaches well beyond pure gaming.
Last edited by vtms on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Dycus wrote: she said she'd definitely buy one.
You're own Granny would definately buy one.... well now arn't you just a scrooge McDycus!!!!!
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

I'm excited about Oculus Rift precisely because I'm not a gamer. I just want to feel like I'm somewhere else, experience something new, relax. I don't want to be shooting monsters.
This should work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0jiIPlIfO4
rajveer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajveer »

Does anyone know if the SDK for the developer version will have a built-in head-neck model? Obviously no need for the consumer version if it has positional tracking.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Vote for the Rift as most anticipated hardware for 2013 http://www.3dcenter.org/
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

voted, or at least think i have, my German's a little rusty....
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

It's hard to believe that people are more excited about the next graphics cards from Nvidia / AMD than about the Rift :shock:
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

The press coverage after CES wasn't big for the Rift here in germany, i think because no journalist from here tried it actually. Only a few people are aware of it, basically only the hardware enthusiasts who aren't limited to the german language and surf worldwide, or are generally interested in VR and other "gadgets". But i'd bet that if Oculus get their own booth at the next Gamescom, it will change quickly.
Last edited by STRZ on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

Zoide wrote:It's hard to believe that people are more excited about the next graphics cards from Nvidia / AMD than about the Rift :shock:
It seems that a lot of people there simply aren't aware that the Rift even exists. One reason for that is that there simply hasn't been as much attention around it in non-english media.
moralis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by moralis »

MSat wrote:That's a pretty interesting revelation. I wonder how many elderly people - particularly those living in retirement homes - that have no realistic way to go to relaxing locations such as some exotic oceanic resort, would appreciate it if they could at least virtually experience it.. Perhaps sit on a virtual beach reading a book via AR, or having a virtual person next to them reading the book for them. Given that vision tends to decline with age, ultra-high resolution may not even offer a substantial benefit to them. It's quite interesting to think about how far reaching VR really could be, with gamers being only a fraction of the pie.
One of the most powerful impressions I got from watching all the CES videos was the ones where Nate toggled free movement in the Epic Citadel demo and people started flying into the air. That is something that I think non-gamers will definitely feel excited about, assuming they can keep their lunches in. It's the ability to see everyday things in a new perspective that will draw people to want to experience the Rift
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

Endothermic wrote:
Dycus wrote: she said she'd definitely buy one.
You're own Granny would definately buy one.... well now arn't you just a scrooge McDycus!!!!!
Okay, okay, you're right... she'll get the family discount. Only $290. :wink:
Cathodoluminescence
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cathodoluminescence »

STRZ wrote:The press coverage after CES wasn't big for the Rift here in germany, i think because no journalist from here tried it actually. Only a few people are aware of it, basically only the hardware enthusiasts who aren't limited to the german language and surf worldwide, or are generally interested in VR and other "gadgets". But i'd bet that if Oculus get their own booth at the next Gamescom, it will change quickly.
Are you also hoping to try it out at the GamesCom? ;-)
weisgarb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by weisgarb »

For anyone who hasn't checked the Oculus Twitter feed recently, it looks like they did begin producing kits at the factory last week. If it was the initial test run, I hope everything fit together properly and they can go into mass production this week.
moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

Now I'm scared. This is first time I see chineese factory so empty. No working people around. Just a bunch of of cheap components thrown around to give impression there are some rifts on the way.
I don't know what to think about this.
This is unnaturally quiet. Doesn't look like factory working hard to deliver our goodies...
Sorry for my english...
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

moomin wrote:Now I'm scared. This is first time I see chineese factory so empty. No working people around. Just a bunch of of cheap components thrown around to give impression there are some rifts on the way.
This is unnaturally quiet. Doesn't look like factory working hard to deliver our goodies...
Sorry for my english...
Seriously? :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mvN6lU0oU
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Contrary to popular belief, Chinese factory employees do, in fact, have breaks.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Never been in a Chinese factory, but it looks normal for a UK one. Also, whatever the side knobs seen on prototypes do, these parts appear to still have the holes for them.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
MSat

Post by MSat »

bobv5 wrote: Also, whatever the side knobs seen on prototypes do, these parts appear to still have the holes for them.
I noticed that too. Since various Oculus tweets mention that there should be enough room for a set of prescription glasses, my best guess is that they're for adjusting IPD.
moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

I hope that this is just a test run and there is no need to get all those people for ±100 rifts. Usually it is too expensive to allow factory to be empty and not produce anything... I think...
Maybe Oculus guys put those rifts on line just to make nice picture.
Definatelly this is not running factory.
moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

I'm sorry.
Didn't noticed that Palmer answered already.
:)
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

moomin wrote:I hope that this is just a test run and there is no need to get all those people for ±100 rifts. Usually it is too expensive to allow factory to be empty and not produce anything... I think...
Candidate for biggest clown of the year
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

On Discovery channel there is always a lot of people. :)
I assumed this has to be like that.
MSat

Post by MSat »

moomin wrote:I hope that this is just a test run and there is no need to get all those people for ±100 rifts. Usually it is too expensive to allow factory to be empty and not produce anything... I think...
That's not Oculus' own factory. That factory line is capable of assembling other products as well. One day they can be building the Rift, and the next day they could be building alarm clocks.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Its one picture with a very narrow view of even that single production line.

You are reading way too much into things. Maybe they gracefully moved out of the way for the picture to be taken to avoid any cheesy "look-at-how-busy-we-are" kind of posing.

Its like the cliche of people taking pictures while decorating the christmas tree and they are just holding out an ornament staring into the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQJtQcMcYmU look at this guy pretending to type.

Sometimes less is more.
Riftoholic

moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

Namielus, is this the reason to call me a clown?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Guys, please try to keep it cool and not call each other names or anything.

Wouldn't want this historic thread turning into a flame war. Thanks.
moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

Anyway. Palmers explanation is enough for me.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Given that we've had some positive news regarding the Rift's production, is there a more recent version of the schedule posted back in November?

(http://www.oculusvr.com/wp-content/uplo ... rt_800.png)

Thanks
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Moomin, I'm just busting your balls because of the way I read your post you made some pretty bold claims about the picture being staged/fake etc.
Don't take it personal. I genuinely thought you were trolling badly.

Cybereality - No need to be so diplomatic. Guys in this case= me
Riftoholic

Libertine

Post by Libertine »

moomin wrote:Now I'm scared. This is first time I see chineese factory so empty. No working people around. Just a bunch of of cheap components thrown around to give impression there are some rifts on the way.
Sorry for my english...
:roll:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@Namielus: No worries man.
moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

My fault too. This is why usually i'm lurking only. My poor english. I understand that sentences like "cheap components" can be read as offence but I just didn't know how to call it precisely. In fact I would like just to see more news. How is it going and at which point of production Oculus is now. And as I said I would expect chineese factory to look as they are usually shown on discovery channel.
So, sorry. Will try to keep quiet.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

moomin wrote:My fault too. This is why usually i'm lurking only. My poor english. I understand that sentences like "cheap components" can be read as offence but I just didn't know how to call it precisely. In fact I would like just to see more news. How is it going and at which point of production Oculus is now. And as I said I would expect chineese factory to look as they are usually shown on discovery channel.
Your English seems good to me, there is no reason for you to be quiet. People make big fuss over nothing.
This member owns things.
MSat

Post by MSat »

I don't think the line is quite ready to go. They may still have line engineers determining the most efficient way to assemble the units, train employees, do a couple test runs and tweak the process as necessary. Once they get that sorted out, then they can go full tilt. The picture posted on Twitter was just showing that they're approaching the stage of full-on manufacturing. It looks like a good sign to me. I just wonder who will be getting the very initial batch.. Perhaps some lucky pre-kickstarter backers ;)
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

moomin wrote:My fault too. This is why usually i'm lurking only. My poor english. I understand that sentences like "cheap components" can be read as offence but I just didn't know how to call it precisely. In fact I would like just to see more news. How is it going and at which point of production Oculus is now. And as I said I would expect chineese factory to look as they are usually shown on discovery channel.
Don't keep quiet! :)

As someone who's worked alongside multilingual translators for a number of years, I know first hand how easy an innocent sentence can end up meaning the complete opposite - especially with the complexities of the English language.

Return to “Oculus VR”