Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Randomoneh
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by Randomoneh »

In the resolution field only, your z800 should have ~3.83x clearer image than Rift with 640x800 & 110 diagonal.
This member owns things.
space123321

Post by space123321 »

Just wanted to share my eperience this weekend at the local mall. The family ended up shopping there this weekend after my boys hockey game. i was surprised to see that Santa was already setup for the kids to see, and as there was no lineup we decided to go see him before the crowds started in the mall. After my children had sat on his lap and gone through their potential wish list, Santa looked to me and cheerfully requested what Dad wanted this year for Christmas. I excitedly announced "I all I want for Christmas is an Oculus Rift"! Santa took off his glasses, looked at me straight into my eyes and simply stated "Me Too!"

LOL - sorry! Had to put this out there! :lol: :roll:
mysticeti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mysticeti »

@space123321, that's hilarious!
hast
Cross Eyed!

Post by hast »

I guess now we know how they handled manufacturing and distribution. :-)
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

hast wrote:I guess now we know how they handled manufacturing and distribution. :-)
:lol: Very good.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

First Carmack joins the movement. Incredible. Then Gabe Newell and Michael Abrash joins and more influential and significant people start chiming in.
I does not surprise me that Santa is joining the cause, and I am just waiting to hear that Jesus has it covered.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

While this looks like all the other stuff before accept its has a green logo rather then a blue and i think its a poster... Look its getting close to December and i am slowly loosing my grip on sanity. I can't wait for mail that takes more then one day(and it's on schedule) to arrive this is killing me. So I can be forgiven for this non-post, right?
Source- https://twitter.com/missharvey/status/2 ... 30/photo/1
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Hmm, I'd be really surprised if Oculus would have had time to actually made the dev-kit look anything like the design mockup in the video (and that poster) The latest prototypes we've seen were quite different.

It even says on the pre-order page "Early concept of Oculus Rift developer kit. Actual product will look different."
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Yea I guess that is just a computer model made into a poster, but it does look different than the one in the Promo video and not just the green logo and the silver accents. It looks more real. The strap looks like it has a cloth texture like its real or more real...OH NO..You pulled me in also...Looks like not just "One" but "Two" have "Flown over the VR Cuckoos Nest"...LOL

PS..Is it just me who thinks, the More sick the Oculus makes 10% of the population, the More awsome it is going to be for the other 90% ? ...By the way, Thats not a joke, but a real thought, theory on my part...But most say I am a bit of a joke..
MSat

Post by MSat »

Whoa! It looked pretty real to me, until I noticed to funny business at the bottom right of the strap adjustment, as well as the artefact on the strap a little bit to the right :(

I really don't care what it looks like, but I must admit that the render looks pretty darn cool.
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

3dvison wrote:Yea I guess that is just a computer model made into a poster, but it does look different than the one in the Promo video and not just the green logo and the silver accents. It looks more real. The strap looks like it has a cloth texture like its real or more real...OH NO..You pulled me in also...Looks like not just "One" but "Two" have "Flown over the VR Cuckoos Nest"...LOL

PS..Is it just me who thinks, the More sick the Oculus makes 10% of the population, the More awsome it is going to be for the other 90% ? ...By the way, Thats not a joke, but a real thought, theory on my part...But most say I am a bit of a joke..
Agreed the Rift will help us weed out the weak so there broken genetic material can be 'removed' from the gene-pool.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

That looks pretty damned real to me, that mess on the strap if you pay attention to the rest of the image, is a reflection. You'll notice the image appears to be a poster either behind a sheet of reflective glass, or with a reflective plastic coat. I'm really stoked. to me, that looks real, and i'm the kind of guy who can watch a movie frame by frame and pick out what's cg and whats irl, one of the benefits of being a photoshop and 3d artist.
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

IGameArt wrote:That looks pretty damned real to me, that mess on the strap if you pay attention to the rest of the image, is a reflection. You'll notice the image appears to be a poster either behind a sheet of reflective glass, or with a reflective plastic coat. I'm really stoked. to me, that looks real, and i'm the kind of guy who can watch a movie frame by frame and pick out what's cg and whats irl, one of the benefits of being a photoshop and 3d artist.
What about the head it is on?
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Thats the part that gets me really, i was thinking maybe i saw that whole thing in the oculus video but i rewatched it looking for it but i didnt see it. However, it could just be a hi res render downsampled, plus the grain from the camera really adds to the realism.
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

IGameArt wrote:Thats the part that gets me really, i was thinking maybe i saw that whole thing in the oculus video but i rewatched it looking for it but i didnt see it. However, it could just be a hi res render downsampled, plus the grain from the camera really adds to the realism.
Judging by the fact that the logo colour is green and not blue i would think this was a concept render created before the model was then was subsequently used in the video with the logo colour changed to be inline with the established company branding. What gives away the render part is that is an exacts clone of the concept one but with a green logo the and that glass head is flawless and mounted to nothing. I'm sure the video is of a lower quality because they didn't have a few days to render it
Last edited by Nogard on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Stop being silly, it's a render on a glossy monitor that she took a picture of because it wasn't on her own computer to printscreen. She probably took it at the oculus booth when she tried it. The ear is a dead giveaway that it's fake, and the non-distorted reflection on the black part shows that the reflection wasn't part of the simulation.

They might have used image based lighting in the render as well to make the mirrored surfaces more juicy.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think that picture is just a good pre-render with some Instagram filters. The green logo gives it away. Maybe as someone said it was an early pre-render that didn't make the video.

Also, when I heard the Santa story I LOLed. Plus, its a good excuse to post this:

Okta

Post by Okta »

I have no expectation to receive the Rift by Christmas. Even if it ships late December postage will take care of that im sure :(
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

No idea where that picture came from.
MSat

Post by MSat »

PalmerTech wrote:No idea where that picture came from.

Where all real things come from - the internet. :lol:
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

My heart stopped when I saw the pic. Luckily resumed beating shortly after.
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey PalmerTech,
If the RIFT and your company, does become as big and successful as we all hope it does, please make sure TMZ never has a reason to use your name and the above statement in one of their articles...LOL
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Hrm, I tried finding a matching frame in the official video, but was unsuccessful. This picture also includes the cable, which the video does not, though the original 3D model sure does if you look at this picture from the official site. (source)

When I messed around with the video it would seem like the headband did not match up with the poster image, which would suggest it's either a composite, or an adjusted model to fit the head. Due to the reflections of the headband in the head I would guess the latter. I'm not sure who did the renders for the original video, but perhaps it would be interesting to see if they know anything about this ;)

Also as has been mentioned, looks like it was rendered with reflection/environment mapping, or something similar to create the realistic reflections in the shiny parts. Unless they are reflections from a glass cover, of course, uhm... oh well. Looked real enough when I first saw it to go O__O
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Well either Oculus was demoing the Rift in Montreal yesterday, or the chinese copycats are further along than expected. :p
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Does project Holodeck have a prototype? O.o The picture seems to have been from November 12 in Montreal, trying to find an event all I have found that seems logical so far was this one at MIGS, but it's on the 13th so perhaps not a match. Looking at an event list for game dev shows nothing else close to the date.

Or did Oculus have an outside showing at the time of Montreal Digital Festival? (of which MIGS is part) But then Palmer should have recognized the poster? Haha.

Enough stalking for now, I just made an inquiry via Twitter asking about it, haha. Now I have to pack my things for DHW12. Too bad OculusVR won't be there ;P (afaik)

*checking back*

The tweet though was made the 19th... which matches with GDC China... in Shanghai. Ok, quitting now.

[edit] Uhoh, now the tweet was deleted... for the record: Tweet was made Nov 19th 7PM local time in Montreal. Image said it was taken Nov 12th in Montreal Quebec (?). In the tweet she said she tried it "today" so it should have been the 19th? Attaching the original image which I happened to save from Twitter, no metadata retained from the hosted version. And yes, this is probably entirely overkill, but I'm still overly hyped and with a slow news day, what to do? Hahaha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

The plot thickens. Who made her take down the picture, and why? Dun-dun-DUN. :P
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

I smell a conspiracy, Palmer might be attempting a cover up!!
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

Palmer was trying to impress this woman while in Montreal, by leaking unreleased pictures and letting her try the rift.

He obviously doesn't want his girlfriend to find out, and he is now getting rid of all traces.

QUICK PALMER, ONLY WAY TO DISTRACT IS TO RELEASE A BUNCH OF NEW RIFT UPDATES!.

worth a shot :p
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Haha. Perhaps it's not as suspicious as it seems. Apparently she's working for Ubisoft Montreal as a Game Designer, so it might have been a company presentation outside the public space. Which would explain why it was deleted, if the picture was from her workplace.

Also note exactly what Palmer said, haha, that he doesn't know where it's FROM, but he doesn't say he has never seen it before :P He could just mean he doesn't know where she photographed it. *uhohoh!* haha.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

ASSASSINS CREED AND FAR CRY 3 SUPPORT CONFIRMED :P
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

This thread is just getting better and better :)
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

jaybug wrote:ASSASSINS CREED AND FAR CRY 3 SUPPORT CONFIRMED :P
GOOD NEWS GUYS
HL3 IS SHIPPING WITH THE RIFT
oh geez don't kill me
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

Dycus wrote: oh geez don't kill me
Damn you, I almost fell off my chair :woot
DFP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DFP »

It's probably not the version everyone will get, maybe for cost reasons, but it does look like the kind of proto piece a company might have hanging on their walls. You'd swear they shot a wild Rift user made of glass and mounted their head.
MSat

Post by MSat »

.me killing is suspense The
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

MSat wrote:.me killing is suspense The
Yea, it's driving us nucking futs..HaHa..
Okta

Post by Okta »

Dycus wrote:
jaybug wrote:ASSASSINS CREED AND FAR CRY 3 SUPPORT CONFIRMED :P
GOOD NEWS GUYS
HL3 IS SHIPPING WITH THE RIFT
oh geez don't kill me
Do you mean we get a copy with our Rift or that it is released on the same date?
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

I wasn't serious, dude.
Okta

Post by Okta »

I must have missed something? I have seen bad use of sarcasm before but...wtf?
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Okta wrote:I must have missed something? I have seen bad use of sarcasm before but...wtf?
Ditto and +1

Don't play with our feelings Dycus! :woot
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>

Return to “Oculus VR”