Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by twofoe »

Seriously, I think all the off-topic posts by KBK and Geekmaster, and all the posts acknowledging those posts (including mine) should just be deleted. They don't contribute to the discussion at all, and just serve as clutter for any future readers of this historic thread.

Edit: and if it's not going to happen, then just ignore my post please and start a new discussion about something Rift-related :P
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Speaking of Rift related, I had a dream-scratch that-nightmare about the Rift last night. I put the thing on and for some reason it didn't cover my whole field of view. One thing I've kind of been a little bit worried about due to my peripheral viewing ability. But then it got worse. I turned my head to the left and the screen turned like 2 seconds after :woot. I'm pretty sure I screamed. And I didn't know if it was my PC or the Rift, and it was just basically terrifying.

On a related note. Is there anything in existence yet that people can run on their computers as a test to see if their rigs can handle playing games at Rift res and framerate? Something like that would be super cool to be able to get out a bit before they start shipping. Cause I know the worst thing ever would be to open up the fresh Rift, plug it in and then realize, nope, comp can't handle it. I'd cry.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

depends on how taxing the game is on PCs like always.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If your computer can run games in 3D and maintain 60FPS, then it should be able to handle the Rift.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Really hope that my aging ATI HD 4600 can at least manage some demos at the rcommended 60fps, since it'd be nice to be able to wait a bit longer to buy a new card. I think once the SDK is released we should be able to benchmark the demos on our rigs. When benchmarking, remember to keep a look out for any microstutters, since a smooth experience will be so important in VR. I know I might end up stripping the SSD out of my laptop and using it for my desktop's OS. Another interesting idea is to run a ram disk, since ram is so cheap these days.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Here's my specs:
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core 2.30 GHz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

I'll try firing up some Steam games and test some stuff out. Any ones in particular that have 3D that I could test? Sorry for the noobness, haven't ever played any 3D games before.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

Alkapwn wrote:NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Oh... I'm not sure that will even cut it for Source engine games in 3D (Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, etc.). Upgrade your video card unless you only want to play Quake (the source code is available, so there will definitely be ports [made by members of the community] with Oculus SDK code built-in) or similar (maybe up to ~Quake 3 level of graphics) with the Rift. I guess it is worth a try, though - test out Half-Life 2.

With my piddly HD5770, I'm not expecting anything newer than Doom 3:BFG or Source engine games to be fully playable (solid 60 fps) with the Rift.
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

Yea these games are going to be a lot tougher to run then I had originally thought. I just got a gtx 670 with my i7 8 gig ram pc, and I can't even run Skyrim on low settings with constant 60 fps using Cyber's driver. Makes me think how tough it's going to be for PC's to run games when the consumer version comes out with higher resolution.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Yah I just tried out HL2 with Viero all settings on medium and it stayed green for the most part, around 50-70. When going outside in the bigger environments it seems to slow down to yellow and around 40fps. Seems like an upgrade may be in order. :(
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Teeks419 wrote:Yea these games are going to be a lot tougher to run then I had originally thought. I just got a gtx 670 with my i7 8 gig ram pc, and I can't even run Skyrim on low settings with constant 60 fps using Cyber's driver. Makes me think how tough it's going to be for PC's to run games when the consumer version comes out with higher resolution.
Try IZ3D or DDD TriDef Ignition drivers and see how those fare. Viero does things that those drivers do not, but other drivers have a lot more optimization put into them.
oculusfan
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by oculusfan »

Are you guys remembering to turn the resolution down to 1200 x 800?
jhouff
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jhouff »

My specs are:

nvidia gtx 660 ti
14gb ddr3
amd phenom quadcore 3.2ghz

I get some pretty bad fps using vireo. I have tried DDD and I get much better fps.

I wonder if going SLI would help?
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

I would wait a bit longer to see how things shake out on the software side before investing in new hardware. Your rig sounds pretty capable.
jhouff
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jhouff »

PalmerTech wrote:I would wait a bit longer to see how things shake out on the software side before investing in new hardware. Your rig sounds pretty capable.
Thanks for the reply!

Is it werid that I feel star struck that I got a response from Palmer? :woot I feel like I should post that we are buds on Facebook.

All kidding aside, I'm glad to hear my specs should be OK. I'm in the early stages of my Oculus Project and I want to make sure that not only my project run smooth, but also other games! :)

Thanks again.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

@PalmerTech: So for the iz3D program their website says they've discontinued operations, and all outputs save for anaglyph will remain active after the 30 day trial ends. I'm curious if anaglyph is the setting we would want to use at the 1280x800 resolution, or if a different mode is required for the Rift. I was gonna check out the TriDef one but noticed its a 14 day trial then $50, think I may hold off until I get my dev kit for that one.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Games that are designed around the Rift will probably perform better than 3rd party drivers, since the developers can optimize their engine specifically for 3D. The the Vireio driver is probably the worst test to do since it renders frames sequentially, essentially cutting your frame-rate in half right off the bat.
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

PalmerTech wrote:
Teeks419 wrote:Yea these games are going to be a lot tougher to run then I had originally thought. I just got a gtx 670 with my i7 8 gig ram pc, and I can't even run Skyrim on low settings with constant 60 fps using Cyber's driver. Makes me think how tough it's going to be for PC's to run games when the consumer version comes out with higher resolution.
Try IZ3D or DDD TriDef Ignition drivers and see how those fare. Viero does things that those drivers do not, but other drivers have a lot more optimization put into them.
Thanks for the tip! I will try that.

@oculusfan - Yes I was running at 1280 x 800, strangely though it felt more stable when I tried it at 1080. Although I had a lower framerate.
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

No new information but wow... an article in the New York Times 8-) :

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/techn ... ality.html
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Wow, cool. I got 59-60 fps in Dear Esther using Vereio drivers with Rift settings. Looks like I'll be able to put off that graphics card purchase for a few months after all. No such luck with Skyrim, which stayed at about 30 fps at lowest settings, but I can live without big & flashy AAA games for a little while.

EDIT: Ah, and I like that article. It does a good job of name-dropping all of the big players in the industry who are excited by the Rift.
tcboy88
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tcboy88 »

Asked somewhere else but didnt get any answer =(
sorry but I have to ask again here

my right eye is medium short sighted while my left eye is very little short sighted
Can I use eyecup A on left eye while eyecup B on right eye? Is it possible?
Or the adjustable assembly can help in vision correction?

thanks
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@tcboy88: Yes. The eye-cups are independent. However, you will probably still want to wear your glasses to get the clearest picture.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

cybereality wrote:@tcboy88: Yes. The eye-cups are independent. However, you will probably still want to wear your glasses to get the clearest picture.
Have you tried? I'm worried the eye-cups might be different distances from each eye and therefore have different FOVs which might affect your ability to merge the two images.
tcboy88
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tcboy88 »

cybereality wrote:@tcboy88: Yes. The eye-cups are independent. However, you will probably still want to wear your glasses to get the clearest picture.
Thanks for the information!
But I dont wear glasses =)
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Well just tested L4D2 and I don't think a 9600gt will handle it on the RIFT.

I have a GTS 250 (9800gtx+) which is 45 - 80% faster then the 9600gt in every benchmark i've seen.

Using the driver set to RIFT, 1280x800 res, no FSAA, no AF and everything else set to the lowest setting a full run of the first map on L4D2 I get:

2013-02-18 19:11:37 - left4dead2
Frames: 18957 - Time: 196717ms - Avg: 96.367 - Min: 48 - Max: 192

Great almost avg of 100 and max of 192 but it did drop to under 60 and it did a few times. It wasn't many times but i'm sure with vsync on that anytime it dropped bellow 60 it would be quite noticable and/or jarring so even if it was once every 2 minutes it would still be way too often.

I only have a Core2Duo E7600 3ghz but even it doesn't get near full load in L4D2, so considering how much faster a GTS 250 is over a 9600gt I wouldn't think L4D2 would be playable most of the time on the RIFT as it would be dropping bellow 60 quite often.

And if it can't handle L4D2 I don't think it would be able to handle much.

As far as I go i'm getting a new rig when the devkit arrives so everythings fine, but I was sure i'd be able to run L4D2 no problem on this one :(
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Good question! I have a similar problem and would also like a answer to this even though i cant see a reason why it would not work.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

[color=#FFFF00]cybereality[/color] wrote:Games that are designed around the Rift will probably perform better than 3rd party drivers, since the developers can optimize their engine specifically for 3D. The the Vireio driver is probably the worst test to do since it renders frames sequentially, essentially cutting your frame-rate in half right off the bat.
--

Really enjoyed the New York Times article, their portrayal of the experience and Palmer himself.
I also love that they used this picture, something about the camera looking into the lens feels so different from a picture of a TV. Shows me cool way to sell it to my friends, "It's like Narnia, for your face!"

Also from the article:
"The company has not announced commitments from game developers to create complete games that work on the headset, though Oculus said that will change at a game developer conference next month."

I need to find bigger words than excited!
Last edited by unsilentwill on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

unsilentwill wrote:
[color=#FFFF00]cybereality[/color] wrote:Games that are designed around the Rift will probably perform better than 3rd party drivers, since the developers can optimize their engine specifically for 3D. The the Vireio driver is probably the worst test to do since it renders frames sequentially, essentially cutting your frame-rate in half right off the bat.
--

From the New York Times article:
"The company has not announced commitments from game developers to create complete games that work on the headset, though Oculus said that will change at a game developer conference next month."

I need to find bigger words than excited!
My prediction (and best case scenario): projects currently in the works by Epic, CliffyB, Valve, iD, and a fuckton of indie devs. My ultimate fantasy for GDC: a presentation by Oculus and Chris Roberts demonstrating Rift integration in Star Citizen. Squee!
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Endothermic wrote:Well just tested L4D2 and I don't think a 9600gt will handle it on the RIFT.

I have a GTS 250 (9800gtx+) which is 45 - 80% faster then the 9600gt in every benchmark i've seen.

Using the driver set to RIFT, 1280x800 res, no FSAA, no AF and everything else set to the lowest setting a full run of the first map on L4D2 I get:

2013-02-18 19:11:37 - left4dead2
Frames: 18957 - Time: 196717ms - Avg: 96.367 - Min: 48 - Max: 192

Great almost avg of 100 and max of 192 but it did drop to under 60 and it did a few times. It wasn't many times but i'm sure with vsync on that anytime it dropped bellow 60 it would be quite noticable and/or jarring so even if it was once every 2 minutes it would still be way too often.

I only have a Core2Duo E7600 3ghz but even it doesn't get near full load in L4D2, so considering how much faster a GTS 250 is over a 9600gt I wouldn't think L4D2 would be playable most of the time on the RIFT as it would be dropping bellow 60 quite often.

And if it can't handle L4D2 I don't think it would be able to handle much.

As far as I go i'm getting a new rig when the devkit arrives so everythings fine, but I was sure i'd be able to run L4D2 no problem on this one :(
Where can I find that readout/info that shows average framerate after playing the game?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Alkapwn wrote:Where can I find that readout/info that shows average framerate after playing the game?
FRAPS:
http://www.fraps.com/

After running the bechmark, look in the FRAPSLOG.TXT file.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

2EyeGuy wrote:
Have you tried? I'm worried the eye-cups might be different distances from each eye and therefore have different FOVs which might affect your ability to merge the two images.
I haven't tried it, I was just mentioning that it was physically possible.

But you are correct, the different lens cups will change the optics/FOV a bit so it may be difficult to fuse an image with different cups in each eye.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

2EyeGuy wrote:
... I'm worried the eye-cups might be different distances from each eye and therefore have different FOVs which might affect your ability to merge the two images.
Are you here to give me nightmares???? :evil: ... damn that is a very good point. Now I think I read that someone from Oculus wrote they are interchangeable ... too bad their info are so fragmented.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

geekmaster wrote:
Alkapwn wrote:Where can I find that readout/info that shows average framerate after playing the game?
FRAPS:
http://www.fraps.com/

After running the bechmark, look in the FRAPSLOG.TXT file.
This is with everything on low pretty much:

2013-02-18 16:06:34 - hl2
Frames: 16798 - Time: 288196ms - Avg: 58.287 - Min: 0 - Max: 117

2013-02-18 16:13:39 - hl2
Frames: 10970 - Time: 166828ms - Avg: 65.756 - Min: 0 - Max: 122

First on was walking around the little plaza at the beginning and then the second one was the chase scene. Does this mean my rig may be ok?
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

I'm really curious to see how demanding/optimized the packed-in demos are that Oculus has been showing off and will be shipping with the dev kits. They certainly don't look demanding, and I'm really excited to try the medieval village demo. I'm curious if we could get an estimate from someone at Oculus as to what kind of min spec rig (both AMD and Nvidia would be nice) we'd need to at least run that at the 120 fps, and not just "you'll want a high-end graphics card".
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Yes, it would be great if Oculus would provide "Minimum", "Recommended" and "Best" rig specs.
drifter

Post by drifter »

@Alkapwn
Your min FPS should be >60 fps (but some games are a bit slower the very first few seconds, still streaming data)
Seems like FRAPS didn't get your min FPS here.
But anyway your avg FPS is already 60, so...
Zoide wrote:Yes, it would be great if Oculus would provide "Minimum", "Recommended" and "Best" rig specs.
I'd say only the minimum specs (with min FPS > 60) are relevant.
Would be cool to gather in the wiki these specs for each game.
Last edited by drifter on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

The rift doesn't have minimum specs anymore than your monitor does. It is the games that will have required specs.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

even frame rate isn't good enough a measure really. frame latency is more exact.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

It would be great if they could say something like: "If you have a GTX 560 Ti you should be fine", or "You better get a GTX 660 Ti at the very least".
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

But they can't.
Needed specs aren't influenced by the Rift, they are influenced by the game itself.
You might be fine with a 8800GT for Doom3, but for Crysis 3 you may need 2* 7950s.

(Just an example without any claim for correctness)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Zoide wrote:It would be great if they could say something like: "If you have a GTX 560 Ti you should be fine", or "You better get a GTX 660 Ti at the very least".
But it depends completely on what game you're playing. How could they possibly give a minimum hardware recommendation when games' requirements vary so much?
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Return to “Oculus VR”