Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Endothermic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by Endothermic »

Randomoneh wrote:3000
Posts in the thread? Otherwise talk about random....
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Since it now says " Page 201 of 201 [ 3001 posts ] " (before I posted) then yes this thread hit 3000 posts.

Loving the CES coverage, can't wait for March :)
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Wow... you know... I never noticed it saying the number of posts next to the page number before..... :?
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Hopefully there will be some sort of zoom out function for movies since the FOV is so high and going higher. I like to get a somewhat high screen FOV in movie theaters, so i hope its variable because i know some people are perfectly fine sitting miles back from their TV's. For uncropped IMAX movies, it might be kind of cool if they built in a "theater experience mode" where you could mimic being able to look over at the edges by moving your head. Won't they need this for viewing the desktop anyway?

The more i think about using the Rift, the more i think there will need to be a button to recenter your neutral position, in case you want to lie back on the couch, and then shift around for comfort. You can actually lie on your side with the Rift i just realized.

For the commercial version, I think it would be so great if at least one scenic IMAX-like movie could come with the Rift to show its potential. I think it would be a proof of concept for content makers and create a huge demand.
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

Endothermic wrote:If there simply wasn't such an abundance of video's of different people at different events then I'm sure there would be people saying the video's are fake and just paid actor's to try and hype up the impending release of the product :lol:
There are such people (who have only seen 1 or 2 videos with Oculus Rift). I've found few comments claiming Oculus paid actors and bought reviews, because every big greedy company (like Oculus) do this! :lol:
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

MrGreen wrote:
Tbone wrote:This thread should be preserved for history! Ground Zero for the VR Age! This is going to be exciting to follow!
Damn right! This definitely is an historical thread.

Well if this thread is history, then these threads should be considered pre-history. (too bad so many of the images have been removed)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=11970

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... &hilit=PR2

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... &hilit=PR3
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

brantlew wrote:(too bad so many of the images have been removed)
Aaaaw. I went by the internet archive, checked Google's cache, nothing. I know an admin in another forum I have frequented tended to localize stuff on his server (and still does) just to keep the records alive.

I guess Palmer might still have the original images :P but I doubt fixing up old posts is a priority for him right now ;) Still, I want to see them now... I thought I read old threads when I first went through this thread, which then had pictures... yes, two of those links were already visited for me >_> Guessing the loss of images happened recently.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

brantlew wrote:Well if this thread is history, then these threads should be considered pre-history. (too bad so many of the images have been removed)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=11970

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... &hilit=PR2

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... &hilit=PR3
Indeed Brantlew. But I wasn't posting here back then so it doesn't count. :P
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

MrGreen wrote: Indeed Brantlew. But I wasn't posting here back then so it doesn't count. :P
lol. Do you also use the same logic to claim the earth is flat... since the discovery was before your time, I assume it doesn't count either? :D
What we should be doing is backing up the entire internet now to preserve it all as the pre-rift state of the digital world. In a thousand years, this will be worth a fortune to digital historians!
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

i think google do that already.
Tbone
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tbone »

Libertine wrote:Hopefully there will be some sort of zoom out function for movies since the FOV is so high and going higher. I like to get a somewhat high screen FOV in movie theaters, so i hope its variable because i know some people are perfectly fine sitting miles back from their TV's. For uncropped IMAX movies, it might be kind of cool if they built in a "theater experience mode" where you could mimic being able to look over at the edges by moving your head. Won't they need this for viewing the desktop anyway?

The more i think about using the Rift, the more i think there will need to be a button to recenter your neutral position, in case you want to lie back on the couch, and then shift around for comfort. You can actually lie on your side with the Rift i just realized.

For the commercial version, I think it would be so great if at least one scenic IMAX-like movie could come with the Rift to show its potential. I think it would be a proof of concept for content makers and create a huge demand.
I'm pretty sure that's how media viewing will be on the Rift. There's already people creating virtual movie theaters for it. Since it takes your entire FOV, 2D or screen media will need to be put on a virtual screen within the 3D space. This opens up a LOT of possibilities. You could watch an IMAX movie in a virtual theater with others. You could work on desktop applications on a floating 60in monitor while on a virtual beach.

I imagine that everything within the Rift will take place in a virtual space. So let's say you want to go into the game settings - a floating window with the game settings would just pop up in the virtual space instead of taking you out of everything and putting a menu in its place.

And Brantlew, I'm never going to be able to finish reading this thread! Don't tell me I have more materials to get through!
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Is there such a lens that would allow you to remove the center barrier, replace the Rift's distorting lenses and use the full screen in 2D with a wide FOV?
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Libertine wrote:Is there such a lens that would allow you to remove the center barrier, replace the Rift's distorting lenses and use the full screen in 2D with a wide FOV?
It would probably require a pair of mirrors, a prism, and a fisheye lens (which would still require distortion correction). Another problem would be that the far ends would be fairly off-axis, so it might affect the colors a bit.
msfreemind
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by msfreemind »

I purchased a dev kit, but I just recently learned about IPD.

I was told mine is 55mm, which I found out is pretty small.

Then I saw this quote from Palmer, on the Oculus subreddit:
The IPD will be adjustable in software, which will be fine as long as you do not have an extremely wide or extremely narrow IPD; Anything between perhap 58mm and 75mm will work perfectly, not sure on anything further than that. We are not going to encourage children to use the Rift, since they typically have narrow IPDs and eyes that are still developing.
With the devkit I pre-ordered, I was toying with the idea of making a game, but I think a large part of my purchase was just excitement. But now I'm wondering if the experience will be that good for me.

Does anyone know about IPD and how my experience might be on the Rift? Also, are there any plans in the consumer version to accommodate lower IPDs?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

The consumer version will support IPD adjustment.
msfreemind
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by msfreemind »

PalmerTech wrote:The consumer version will support IPD adjustment.
Thanks for the response.

That's good news. Hopefully, the adjustment will go down to 55mm.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Does that include lens adjustment as well as image offsetting, allowing for a perfect match for each face?
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

msfreemind wrote: I was told mine is 55mm, which I found out is pretty small.
I self-measured mine at 53mm (I have a small head...), but I'm not concerned. I'm sure it'll still be fine. And the consumer version will have adjustable IPD which should work down to our level.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Mel wrote:
Does that include lens adjustment as well as image offsetting, allowing for a perfect match for each face?
Exactly what I wanted to know. My answer to you: I sure hope so. :|
This member owns things.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

MSat wrote:
Libertine wrote:Is there such a lens that would allow you to remove the center barrier, replace the Rift's distorting lenses and use the full screen in 2D with a wide FOV?
It would probably require a pair of mirrors, a prism, and a fisheye lens (which would still require distortion correction). Another problem would be that the far ends would be fairly off-axis, so it might affect the colors a bit.
I wonder if you could use one long curved fresnel lens instead. I used to use fresnel lenses when i played flight sims on my 19" CTR. It made it look like an Imax theater and i swore that to people many times on the Falcon4.0 forums(frugals forums). Create a removable lens sections the Rift with two different lens assemblies, one for undistorted 2d and the other for games. They could perhaps slide in from the side, or from the top. Bang, IMAX in your pocket!

Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

It is possible but it wouldn't be inexpensive which goes against the design philosophy of the RIFT being an inexpensive device.

It would also be more bulky and may have weight distribution issues as well.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Hey Libertine, I haven't used a Fresnel before, but I'm wondering, would it help with eye strain from staring at a monitor all day? I am considering getting one for work.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

mysticeti wrote:Is it wrong that I'm a little peeved that the factory workers in China get a full month off for the new year? I know they work their asses off for relatively low wages but for the love of god, does anyone anywhere get less vacation time than the average US worker?
I know I'm replying to a very old comment, but I just wanted to let you know that in Costa Rica we only get 10 days of paid vacation time :roll: Now that everyone's feeling better, let's get back to the Rift! :mrgreen:
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

I think this has already been asked before, but I wasn't able to find the answer in the 202 pages so far...

Does the increase in screen size from 5.6" to 7" translate into an increase in FOV? If so, how much? If not, how come?

Thanks
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Zoide wrote:I think this has already been asked before, but I wasn't able to find the answer in the 202 pages so far... Does the increase in screen size from 5.6" to 7" translate into an increase in FOV? If so, how much? If not, how come?Thanks
Depends on how they set it up. They can make it so that is occupies lower part of FOV if they want.
But it's been answered by Palmer, FOV gain should be small, unnoticeable by untrained eye.
This member owns things.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Randomoneh wrote:
Zoide wrote:I think this has already been asked before, but I wasn't able to find the answer in the 202 pages so far... Does the increase in screen size from 5.6" to 7" translate into an increase in FOV? If so, how much? If not, how come?Thanks
Depends on how they set it up. They can make it so that is occupies lower part of FOV if they want.
But it's been answered by Palmer, FOV gain should be small, unnoticeable by untrained eye.
Thanks. I guess the current FOV is big enough anyway, judging by the overwhelmingly positive CES 2013 impressions.
vtms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vtms »

I'm still confused about 2D IMAX idea on OR. I thought I read earlier in this thread a comment by Palmer that it would be trivially easy to implement (I may have misunderstood), now it seems some of you are saying it's hard. What's the answer?
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

i think it's trivial in the manner that all the pieces of the puzzle are known problems with known solutions. it's hard because, those who write media players don't write 3D engines and vice versa. and even established open source engines and media players would still be difficult to fuse just because of the complexity of both.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

vtms wrote:I'm still confused about 2D IMAX idea on OR. I thought I read earlier in this thread a comment by Palmer that it would be trivially easy to implement (I may have misunderstood), now it seems some of you are saying it's hard. What's the answer?
Because the 'trivially easy' method does not require mucking about with custom lens setups: you just display the same thing to each eye, rather than using a stereo pair.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Yes the trivally easy method doesn't use the whole screen for 2d like people have asked about, it is still split screen just the same image on both sides so no 3d.
vtms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vtms »

Ok, so is there a way to watch 2D from the whole screen as opposed to sending same split image to both eyes? It'd be a shame to sacrifice half the available resolution that way.
MSat

Post by MSat »

vtms wrote:Ok, so is there a way to watch 2D from the whole screen as opposed to sending same split image to both eyes? It'd be a shame to sacrifice half the available resolution that way.
Not without physical modification to the HMD.
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

Would it help if internally the 2D screen is rendered at double the resolution, and then the left half of the screen shows only the odd lines and columns, while the right half shows all even lines and columns? Would the eyes "combine the detail" of both images?
Last edited by Laserschwert on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Laserschwert wrote:Would it help if internally the 2D screen is rendered at double the resolution, and then the left half of the screen shows only the odd lines and columns, while the right half shows all even lines and columns? Would the eye "combine the detail" of both images?
I can't imagine that working well.
vtms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vtms »

MSat wrote:
vtms wrote:Ok, so is there a way to watch 2D from the whole screen as opposed to sending same split image to both eyes? It'd be a shame to sacrifice half the available resolution that way.
Not without physical modification to the HMD.
Couldn't half the image be sent to one eye and the other half to the other eye?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

That would not work, since both eyes needs to see the same.
Both halves would look blurry/ghosted on top of eachother
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

I believe the physical configuration will always mean you get half of the display, technically, for either 2D or 3D. Any exceptions to this would probably be very undesirable. I might have missed this but why take a prototype VR hmd and make it 2D at all? Is this alternate goal to get what Sony does with a higher fov? Maybe that is best with another device with that as its goal, or to just accept the same exact image being displayed to each eye and the loss of screen res for the 2D content.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

After seeing the Rift I bet Sony improves their fov. :)
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

Actually after seeing Palmer's work they might ditch their past efforts and start over entirely.
MSat

Post by MSat »

The Oculus Rift, and Sony's HMZ primarily serve two separate markets. Sony made a portable video viewer with 3D capabilities, while Oculus is making a legitimate VR HMD. What's good for one isn't good for another.

Return to “Oculus VR”