RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Re: Nexus 7 2nd Gen 1920x1200. Possible drop-in replacement?

Post by stevetb »

I'm with you OzOnE, I'm out, Volkan has shown a few comments I am not too comfortable with. I'm guessing a Chinese scam, no offense Volkan, we are all just very cautious.

On the flip side however I am patiently waiting for Daniel's upgrade to arrive. I would strongly urge Daniel to not team with Volkan, or anyone else, and instead stay the course and release the kit alone. I think any partnership would expose your work to potential IP theft.

Sure, Daniel may be a little slower to the market but I know the product will be very close to perfection for a FHD or Dual FHD system.

So the wait continues and I'm still excited for Daniel's finished product.

-Steve
GOODYES
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOODYES »

Im sorry but even Daniel seems not able to create a board for display HDMI input sources on MIPI displays (5-6") in landscape at non very very expensive range.

I mean, i want to connect my camera hdmi outputs to a board that get this video signal , process and output to a mipi display but in 1920x1080 and not 1080x1920.

A board with a chip with scaler, and that can accept 1200x720 input as well as SD pal or ntsc, adjust the brightnes, contrast, etc .. and output to these 5.5 or 6" mipi dispays.

Toshiba done with last year chipset, that accept scale images, but does no one apply for ?
Even a few hours ago toshibe announced another one with support for 4K.

So, any way to connect a camera to a mipi display normal, i mean in landscape, withouht investing thousands ?
cgp44
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cgp44 »

Deleted
Last edited by cgp44 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOODYES
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOODYES »

Hi CPG, IM NOT VULKAN, remember IM NOT VULKAN and not a friend of vulkan and i dont have any relation with bulkan.
A friend and a colleague was speaking with Daniel, and thats what i stated above, miles away, on the thousands or ten of thousands.

I only started a question, i want to connect my camera hdmi outputs to a board that get this video signal , process and output to a mipi display but in 1920x1080 and not 1080x1920. A board with a chip with scaler, and that can accept 1920x1080, 1200x720 input as well as SD pal or ntsc, adjust the brightnes, contrast, etc .. and output to these 5.5 or 6" mipi dispays.

Portrait is unprocessed, untouched picture. But toshiba chips provides functions to process the hdmi video so that can be scaled and so on, i think also rotate, ?

Correct me, Daniel, am i wrong ?
Are your solution, and the ones from Vulkan, a simple get your video as you get from, i mean, display hdmi to mipi only in portrait mode, only from 1080x1920 or 1200x1920 source resolution ? whats interesting in this ¿? for me nothing.
The real action is to use that toshiba chipsets or other technique to make the above statements, allow any hdmi video to be displayed on a mipi display, alowwing to adjust and or rotate image, or set in portrait or landscape, scale from 720p and lower resolutions, and adjust basics like contrast, saturation and so

Correct me, Daniel, do we need to spend thousand or ten of thousands dollars to get that ?
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

GOODYES, I'm glad you are not volkan. Don't get upset about a identity challenge.

Regarding scaling I've done a quick google search for fpga video scaling IP or
solutions.

There were two Xilinx complicated IP (closed source, you call us)
with soft micro processor controlled flexible scaling and then there was this...

http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/di ... TEXT01.pdf

A thesis open sourced project that has two specific upscaling ratios to our beloved fhd: 1920x1080p.
As a hobbyist who has no commercial intent, any presented code is
usable, as long as the author is mentioned. Any other copying/modification is just
dishonest. I'll put this in my spartan6 Xilinx software, its too big for the machxo2.
Last edited by cgp44 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Hi goodyes,

nice to hear that you would like to get an HDMI2MIPI conversion for cheap to connect your camera for whatever reason.
BUT you are IN THE WRONG THREAD/BOARD??!!!
This is about a FHD upgrade for the Rift! One example is the RiftUP from Daniel.
And if you would go on his page dp2retina, you could order a DP- board for a iPad retina screen which you could use via a hdmi2dp cable-adapter with your camera already now. And >FHD. I did buy two of his boards and they work FLAWLESS, and this is why i stick with him and i trust him to deliver superior quality. Period.
And if that is not what you want, then DIY with your supidupi toshiba board!

Again, this is all about the Rift and two more things for you and volkan:
1) OCULUS was the one with the first FHD Rift screen.
2) stupid to think that i will cost 1000s of dollars. It does not make ANY SENSE to me to offer it for much more than €200.-

And as i think what Daniel already did (addons professional photography), i would be very suprised if maybe later there will not be an enhanced version for people with "special wishes", a minority of people - of course more expensive.

On the other hand, RiftUP is a 10k+ (20k, 30k?) potential sales market, waiting for someone (professionally - not like volkan...) to deliver.
Last edited by mr.uu on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Not that anyone thinks i do want to put volkans work down. I admire anyone, who is building and not only talking. I tried for many hours and just scrached the surface of tons of problems to solve...

It is obvious, that his release was to early, not ready, not what i want.

But i am interested in his IPD solution. Maybe it is exactly what i would like to order in addition to daniels RiftUp? Who knows? So, volkan, enlighten us potential customers with your IPD/lens solution!

Thank you!
Last edited by mr.uu on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOODYES
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOODYES »

mr uu, do not talk to me as to vulkan cause im not vulkan.
Sometime ago we were askin to daniel for the above requeriment, that currently no ine have, no one is no one, vulkan ,daniel and so one.
Daniel told us units starting at 400 or 500 aprox but for us to spend on more developers, and so in, so spending ten of thousands.
Am i wrong Daniel ?

So euu and the others,
Do not prejudge
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

Hi all - we have finished the prototyping phase with mr. @Kernel32!

Some pictures are below - the kit is really seamless - absolutely no noticable difference before/after upgrade... except RGB diode in the Oculus logo, which is a tiny hint for the RiftUP presence :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

GOODYES wrote:mr uu, do not talk to me as to vulkan cause im not vulkan.
??? Okay! I wrote, i admire people who are building and not talking.So i definately did not talk(?, better treat) you same like volkan. If you are a builder too i maybe revise my opinion ;)...
And, yes, i believe you that you are not volkan. Did i say that? NO, i did seperately wrote to each of you!
GOODYES wrote:Sometime ago we were askin to daniel for the above requeriment, that currently no ine have, no one is no one, vulkan ,daniel and so one.
Daniel told us units starting at 400 or 500 aprox but for us to spend on more developers, and so in, so spending ten of thousands.
Am i wrong Daniel ?
Well, no idea what you want to tell me, but we will see what Daniel will charge for his RiftUp. If it is to expensive, he will not sell many. So wait and do not spill the baby with the bath...
GOODYES wrote:So euu and the others,
Do not prejudge
Read what i wrote, please not between the lines!
I said, that: volkans upgrade is not polished enough for me to buy, but i admire him for his work and i am keen to hear more about his IPD/lens thingie.
And, that if i read what you wrote i can clearly see, that you are in the wrong thread. Simple and clear.
I think further, that you are the only one who is prejudging. Because you seem to be the only one who knows the price, even though even Daniel has not yet released one...
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Hi Daniel,

any price yet? :roll:
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

geekmaster mentioned hid feature report might be used to change parameters. Maybe someone with the ability can create a little program that you can enter various parameters for display dimensions, lens warp, etc...

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =20&t=2098 ?
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

Hi,

Don't attack on me boys...
Let me tell you why I'm upset.

I havent heart of rozsnyo's board before I came here and as soon as I see it he was telling that it's about to be ready. I've contacted him told that I loved much of his board. I told that I've solved to use "5.5 and done some mounting kit IPD adj ect... and bought electronics. I told that we can do this together and do one kit. He was using two screens. his board my one screen cuts his costs to half. I tought he might like my idea anyway he didn't tell a thing. I understood that he is not wiling. Then he wanted my boards pictures, deatils, coasts, ect... When he heard I'm using 5,5 he was asking me if it's too samll or not.

Then he asked me to use his board. " I would like to offer you my kit, as you can definitely sell for a higher price" I've pleased with the offer and I told it would be nice. I canceled my orders from where I buy I told that I've new resources and they are three times more than this offer and rozsnyo just cut off communicaiton. Then I just saw he satarted to use his screen as I do. Now if he sells me we would have the same kit. Now I understood why he doesn't talk to me. I was willing to share my project with him already if he liked I told him your electronics and my solutions.

Forget everything he made me offer and I took it. I cancelled my orders. Then he has done as I do.

mr.uu,
1)I didn't tell I have the first FHD I said First FHD upgrate. but I'm very new if some one done it before I didn't heart.
2)And if that is not what you want, then DIY with your supidupi toshiba board!
read our talk I respected his work and told him congratulations! I wanted to develop VR together. I told him that he is the one and I've two projects on VR which I'll need electronics so I wanted him to give me support on New VR equipments.
DON'T think that I won't respect what I did.

He can do ofcourse, but we were in comunication. He should tell me if his toughts have changed and what ever he things. Belive me that if he told me that he has problems with two screen and ask for using my solution. I wouldn't want nothing more than thnx.

Regards,
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

DON'T think that I won't respect what HE did.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Deleted
Marus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marus »

For those who are interested in complete FPGA HDMI to MIPI DSI solution:

MIPI DSI Display Shield for Arduino

An Arduino shield driving LCD/OLED screens with a MIPI DSI interface.
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:se ... lay-shield
The project bases on ADV7611 HDMI receiver and Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA chip that drives directly FHD LCD.
The good thing is already implemented framebuffer memory (can be used to rotate video from 1920x1080 to 1080x1920).
Picture:
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/_media/seri ... mbled2.jpg

List of supported displays:
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/serial-disp ... d:displays
One of them is FHD LS050T1SX01 HTC Droid DNA 1920 x 1080
The block diagram:
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/serial-disp ... d:hardware
Schematics:
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/_media/seri ... ld-sch.pdf
PCB:
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/_media/seri ... ld-pcb.pdf

Very nice project!
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Are these open source projects? Where's the source?

Ah there it is under twl on page 3 of code.

Yippy, some hdl code for mipi packeting.

it really is a fpga based hdmi to mipi to fhd lcd revolution starting to
happen in the blogosphere.
Last edited by cgp44 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

rozsnyo wrote:Hi all - we have finished the prototyping phase with mr. @Kernel32!

Some pictures are below - the kit is really seamless - absolutely no noticable difference before/after upgrade... except RGB diode in the Oculus logo, which is a tiny hint for the RiftUP presence :)
Oooh, lovely stuff, Daniel / Kernel32. :)

How do you measure the distances for the sockets and PCB so accurately? Just using digital calipers?

I know this may be a bit early to ask still, but any rough ballpark figure on what the cost of the 1080p RiftUp kit will be?

@Marus - that MIPI DSI shield looks great.
I'll certainly be grabbing one of those once the PCB layout is verified and boards get made.

The fact it has working code for a DDR framebuffer would be very useful in itself.

Do you know if the source code will be made Open Source?
If so, it will make for a nice test platform for new high-res panels.

(just seen cgp44's post - yeah, I second that question. ;) )

OzOnE.
Kernel32
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kernel32 »

You have already seen photos of upgraded Rift Daniel uploaded after we got everything assembled at 2 AM.

It was a great feeling to see everything click together. Many hours hard working of helpers and mostly Daniel, finally paid off.

I feel very lucky, that I had the opportunity to be there and experience it. Until this point DK was a bit of novelty device to me really. It showed the potential of the technology, it was great to try new demos and OK to develop with.

That has changed. The upgrade makes me want to really spend time in VR. Everything is much more clear and forgetting about the device on your head much more easier.

We are determined to make RiftUP! available to you as soon as possible. Road-plan of manufacture is in place and I can already tell you, the price will be well under USD 400, more like 300.
OzOnE2k10 wrote:@Kernel32 - forgot to ask...
Is it literally just plug 'n' play with the RiftUp kit?

ie. do all the SDK-based demos appear to work fine as soon as they pick up on the new 1080x1920 portrait EDID?
Both SDK/Unity based and Valve demos work great with RiftUP!. We only lost the Oculus Config Util ability to measure IPD. But it still can be used to set the right IPD (=actual IPD*1,18644).
OzOnE2k10 wrote: The only thing I'm wondering about now is if the warp coeffs and other stuff can be tweaked a bit more to suit the new panel, or whether it doesn't really matter?

I realize there are certain parameters stored on the tracker module itself regarding the type of Dev kit and display - I'm assuming this isn't a big deal once the software finds the ID string in the EDID?
Warping seems to be just right. Color correction on outer diameters could use some tweaking. But that does apply to stock too and those lenses have some limits. I look forward to play with parameters a little bit and try to push it further.
OzOnE2k10 wrote: Having seen the up-close photos from Vturksoy, I too can imagine 1080p will be a big improvement over the stock 800p panel.
The option of dual-displays would be very nice though, 'cos the cost of the new high-res panels is reducing every few months.
We will try to make it easy and cost effective to go dual once the technical issues are resolved for those who will already have single RiftUP!
OzOnE2k10 wrote: What sort of graphics card have you been testing the new 1080p panels on, and have you seen any noticeable drop in performance?
(I kind of doubt that though, as 1080p isn't too much sweat for modern cards tbh.)
First we tested only to be sure everything works on my mobile Nvidia GT 555. Not a big drop, wouldn't notice without FPS counter. At home AMD r9 290x didn't even react to the resolution change.
OzOnE2k10 wrote: Also, any impressions on the perceived latency / blur on the new 5.9" panel?
I'm guessing it's noticeably better than the stock panel?
I would say blur is a bit better than stock, but the main upgrade is still resolution and sharpness.
OzOnE2k10 wrote: OzOnE.
Thank you for some great questions OzOnE and all for the great support so far.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Hey volkan,

i try to make it simple to understand: obviously communication is not your strength.

So you will not share your IPD/lens upgrade? Okay, i found one who offers 3Dprinted IPD adapters, then he gets my money.

Hey Daniel/Kernel32,

I doubt that distortion shader fits (big difference clearly seen in volkans pictures). I can imagine that you hardly notice it, but EDID spoofing should be trivial?
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

Vturksoy wrote: I havent heart of rozsnyo's board before I came here and as soon as I see it he was telling that it's about to be ready. I've contacted him told that I loved much of his board. I told that I've solved to use "5.5 and done some mounting kit IPD adj ect... and bought electronics. I told that we can do this together and do one kit. He was using two screens. his board my one screen cuts his costs to half. I tought he might like my idea anyway he didn't tell a thing. I understood that he is not wiling. Then he wanted my boards pictures, deatils, coasts, ect... When he heard I'm using 5,5 he was asking me if it's too samll or not.

Then he asked me to use his board. " I would like to offer you my kit, as you can definitely sell for a higher price" I've pleased with the offer and I told it would be nice. I canceled my orders from where I buy I told that I've new resources and they are three times more than this offer and rozsnyo just cut off communicaiton. Then I just saw he satarted to use his screen as I do. Now if he sells me we would have the same kit. Now I understood why he doesn't talk to me. I was willing to share my project with him already if he liked I told him your electronics and my solutions.
We are not using 2 screen designs - where have I stated that? We are using 2 boards - the BASE and HEAD, for seamless update (no ugly cables, no cutting). If you see the PCB layout/drawing for RiftUP in earlier posts, there is clearly a clue that we use one screen in landscape mode. The photo of the 2 screens shows only the first 2 very expensive prototypes out of 3 which we made. Two were sold to a VR startup company which payed an adequate express fee to have them - they are taking it to GDC, third is for @kernel32 with whom we will market the RiftUPs.

You have to understand that electronics is not designed nor manufactured in a Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V way in an indefinitely short time. Either you pay high prices for early access or short turnaround times, or you wait to mass production and have it with others for a lower price. Anyway, the $150 price you wanted to buy the boards from me is impossible to achieve and I have rather focused to make the boards work and demo the kit here - we were up to 2 o'clock in the night to see our thing working in the headset.

Do not blame anything on me - I hope you are an adult and you can take responsibility for your decisions. It was your idea to cooperate and team up, but you haven't know what we are doing nor indicated a serious business opportunity which could make it worth to do an exclusivity deal with you.
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

mr.uu wrote: I doubt that distortion shader fits (big difference clearly seen in volkans pictures). I can imagine that you hardly notice it, but EDID spoofing should be trivial?
We have not included any Oculus EDID information in the board, it runs as a standalone monitor. Even that the configuration utility does not recognize and identify it as a VR kit, you are allowed to change the IPD, which we did and it made a difference from heavily overlapped picture to a very pleasant 3D world. I am not using/owning a DK1 and this is just my second try after 9 months when I was asked to make an upgrade :) Is there a specs where in EDID is the IPD encoded? Or does the configuration tool only detect it by product name and has a table encoded in SDK?
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Rozsnyo,

can you supply extra connectors so the DK1 screen and board can be reconnected
with another lvds wire cluster.
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

cgp44 wrote:Rozsnyo,

can you supply extra connectors so the DK1 screen and board can be reconnected
with another lvds wire cluster.
Yes! This came to my mind right in this minute - I am tiding up after the mess we made with @Kernel32 :) He left his LVDS screen and Realtek scaler here with me - just the interconnect LVDS cable is missing. We should source these harnesses in China I think. Do you have any idea about the length? I was thinking either about 10-15cm for compact unit, or a 50cm-1m one for case when you use the screen in a PC case, or with a DSRL - my guess is, that it will pretty nicely take a standard HDMI source from cameras.
GOODYES
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOODYES »

Marus wrote:For those who are interested in complete FPGA HDMI to MIPI DSI solution:

MIPI DSI Display Shield for Arduino

An Arduino shield driving LCD/OLED screens with a MIPI DSI interface.
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:se ... lay-shield
The project bases on ADV7611 HDMI receiver and Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA chip that drives directly FHD LCD.
The good thing is already implemented framebuffer memory (can be used to rotate video from 1920x1080 to 1080x1920).

List of supported displays:
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/serial-disp ... d:displays
One of them is FHD LS050T1SX01 HTC Droid DNA 1920 x 1080
The block diagram:
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/serial-disp ... d:hardware
Schematics:
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/_media/seri ... ld-sch.pdf
PCB:
https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/_media/seri ... ld-pcb.pdf

Very nice project!

You're great great,
Thank you so much Marus
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Rozsnyo, I was thinking just the connectors, but maybe a full harness would be good for customer care.
Definitely a long length for pc connection.

On an aside, did you get your 4.7 htc one screen working? I really like it as the best pixel density fo dk1 optics.
It's size would make fantastic small dual screen that works. I presume it would have the Same pinout as the htc DNA droid.
It comes in three variants and it is wise to have a few coils spare as they blow when you mis-position the slightly different fpc connector card. So sayeth the china-devices.com man.
Last edited by cgp44 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodsmoke
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by woodsmoke »

Well done roszyno and Kernel32, I hope this goes on to be more popular than you could have expected, and that the return is something to smile about.
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

The funny thing is if you DON'T have any part of the Oculus SDK installed (like the config utility) you can get unity demos to run on whatever screen, with headtracking. That's what I did when I made my oculus wireless with the LG Wireless HDMI box. I don't know if it still works because I haven't done it since the latest update. I noticed that it wouldn't detect the RIFT because the display was showing up as a LG HDTV but by deleting it I got them working. It also saves the last IPD. So set your IPD, delete it and run it to see if it might work?

You could try spoofing the EDID with the Custom Resolution Utlity, including changing the manufacturer and build version maybe see if that can trick the system?
If you want my EDID information let me know I can send it over.
woodsmoke
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by woodsmoke »

Wow, seems like the home developers are putting pressure on everyone's favorite VR startup. Way to go ros and Kernel!

https://www.oculusvr.com/order/

I'll still be buying your panel kit. More than once too :lol:
yillard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by yillard »

Hi at all,

@rozsnyo, Kernel32 thats great work done by you!
Here is the EDID from the DK1 rift, perhaps it helps:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\OVR0001\5&24330ecb&0&UID259\Device Parameters]
"EDID"=hex:00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,3e,d2,01,00,00,00,00,00,18,17,01,03,80,00,\
00,78,fe,5b,00,97,57,4d,90,25,1e,50,54,21,00,00,81,00,81,c0,d1,00,d1,c0,01,\
01,01,01,01,01,01,01,c7,1b,00,a0,50,20,17,30,30,20,36,00,96,5e,00,00,00,1a,\
00,00,00,fc,00,52,69,66,74,20,44,4b,0a,20,20,20,20,20,00,00,00,ff,00,53,65,\
72,69,61,6c,52,44,0a,20,20,20,20,00,00,00,fd,00,38,4c,1e,53,17,00,0a,20,20,\

As far as I know the Rift software gets the EDID information from windows through the OVR SDK. There is no information about any IPD/Lensdistance as I see.
I tried to change the EDID in the windows registry to see if I could start the Rift software only with my monitor without the DK1, but it not succeeded, as windows collects the CurrentControlSet data at startup from the connected hardware and even if the EDID is overriden by CurrentConrolSet1,..2,..3 or others, the manufacturer string of the registry keyname stays the same (..Enum\DISPLAY\OVR0001\5&24330 ... here "OVR0001" is this string). So i think if you have an another manufacturer string as "OVR0001" the Rift software doesn't recognize the hardware as RiftDK as it perhaps looks for the real string in CurrentControlSet and not the ones you can override in CurrentControlSet1..2..3...
I inspected the EDID (from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_d ... ation_data) and here are some changes that might work to get the upgrade kit to get recognized as DK1.

Manufacturer ID is "OVR":

Byte 8: 3E(HEX) - 0011 1110(b)
Byte 9: D2(HEX) - 1101 0010(b)

first character (Byte8, bits 6-2) 01111 -> "O"
second character (Byte8, bits 0-1 + Byte9, bits 7-5) 10110 -> "V"
third character (Byte9, bits 4-0) 10010 -> "R"

Manufacturer Product Code "0001":
Byte 10-11: 0100(HEX) little-endian -> "0001"

Byte 72-74 = 00(HEX) -> not a detailed timing descriptor -> EDID Other Descriptors:

Byte 75 (Descriptor type): FC(HEX) -> Monitor name
Byte 77-83: code page 437 text -> "Rift DK"
Byte 84-89: Padding with 0A 20 20 20 20 ....

Byte 128-End -> Bytes 0-127 repeated ( as linux says, but not windows)

Byte 136: 3E(HEX) +
Byte 137: D2(HEX) --> Manufacturer ID "OVR"

Byte 138-139: Manufacturer Product Code "0001"
Byte 205-211: ->"Rift DK", followed by 0A 20 20 20 20 ... padding

Byte 254 should be 00(HEX), as no more descriptors are following, but the Rift DK has a 01(HEX) here.
It seems not to matter, only the linux edid-read tool is reporting a corrupted edid, as it thinks more descriptors are following, but there aren't any.

You could try to change the Bytes 8,9,10,11 and perhaps 77-83 of your EDID to that of the RiftDK1 and see if it works. Than you should see in the registry if windows recognizes the upgrade kit as "OVR0001".

(In the windows registry string you cannot see the repeated first 128 Bytes of the EDID. But the linux-tool read-edid shows me that the 128-Byte EDID is repeated in Bytes 128-255. So I don't know which is right)

Here are some EDID-Hardware emulators which are connected between pc and display if somebody needs to spoof EDID. But I didn't tried one yet.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

I also found this page with mipi specs: http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/nanohack.html :D

EDIT: after the changes you have also to correct the checksum in Byte 127 in your EDID
stryker7314
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stryker7314 »

I hope it's possible to source the DK2 OLED screens, it looks promising with 75hz and low persistence.

On second thought, I would rather get the dual screen Rift-up for greater resolution and PPI, seeing things in the distance is much more important!
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

Hey, Rozsnyo. I emailed you but, didn't get any answer. Just checking to see if you got it, thanks!
Marus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marus »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:
rozsnyo wrote:Hi all - we have finished the prototyping phase with mr. @Kernel32!

Oooh, lovely stuff, Daniel / Kernel32. :)

How do you measure the distances for the sockets and PCB so accurately? Just using digital calipers?

I know this may be a bit early to ask still, but any rough ballpark figure on what the cost of the 1080p RiftUp kit will be?

@Marus - that MIPI DSI shield looks great.
I'll certainly be grabbing one of those once the PCB layout is verified and boards get made.

The fact it has working code for a DDR framebuffer would be very useful in itself.

Do you know if the source code will be made Open Source?
If so, it will make for a nice test platform for new high-res panels.

(just seen cgp44's post - yeah, I second that question. ;) )

OzOnE.
It seems to be Open Source!
You can download FPGA MIPI DSI shield source code from here:
https://code.hackerspace.pl/twl/dsi-shi ... 8c1f5c.zip
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

Iv just bought the pre ordered dk2 from oculus ,but still gonna buy daniels kit because theres still a market for 1080p upgrade we have to wait till July sometime and it maybe be delayed for dk2 ,I for one cant wait that long ,also if you upgrade and not (upgrate) snigger snigger your dk1 then it will be easier to sell when you finally get the dk2 what do people think?..

dave..
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Hi rozsnyo / Kernel32,

Just wanted to say how good the kit is looking. I've just ordered a DK2, but am probably in the same boat as a lot of people that would love to upgrade their current DK1 as well. I look forward to hearing about pricing / timescales. Anything pre-July would be awesome ;-)
woodsmoke
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by woodsmoke »

The homebrew kit can be used for dual screen setups and other experiments too. I'm going to be building an HMD of my own design. The opportunities are endless. Everyone's going to come out a winner.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Well it looks like palmer has done a good deal to source Samsung OLED.
The replacement market must have some ridiculous markup probably a lot more
than 100 per cent. Otherwise oculus must be losing on each developer kit.

So at us$350 for a low persistence, fhd, ir leds for a sit down head wobble experience,
and the lenses are slightly wider to expand the fov edges out.

Any player for the dk1 upgrade market will have to be real tight.
I'll say that full usage of fpgas that would replace several
specialist chips has to be the way to go to be competitive.

Here's my ideal platform design

two hdmi to mipi streams using two lattice machxo2 7k lut low end fpgas. These are two x us$15 approx.
The reason for two is that there are only two pll's for clocking. I would have lots of connecting wires between the
fpgas so that they can be combined. The combined hdmi and mipi resource usage is very small, that's
what the plds like machxo2 are for, and there is a bit of a bias towards advertised serdes for larger
lattice ECP3s etc, when serdes hard logic is on the machxo2. Of course a spartan6 say 9k or 16k
size will do as well. So put some scaling on, say sd to fhd (1.875) and hd to fhd (1.5). Also see if you can
put some imu mems controlling manipulation logic in too.

So you would have the lcd (one or two) regulated power sources. Off the board would be simple small
connector pcbs with a uniform two rowed 0.4mm pitched at 22 pin per row, for the numerous
connectors including fpc (flexible printed card) header/plug or receptacle/socket mounts.

The lcd would be 4.7 htc one fhd screen at us$50. These would go per eye offering 1600x1080 compared
to DK2's 960x1080. They perhaps could be tilted to best cover the gaps in fov of the DK1 warped image field.
Marus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marus »

Small Spartan 6 LX9 and LX25 with 32MB RAM are interesting:
XESS XuLA2-LX9/25 FPGA plus 32 MByte SDRAM prototyping boards:
http://www.xess.com/shop/product/xula2-lx9/
http://www.xess.com/shop/product/xula2-lx25/
Diagram:
http://www.xess.com/static/media/produc ... gram_1.png
Marus
Kernel32
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kernel32 »

cgp44 wrote:Well it looks like palmer has done a good deal to source Samsung OLED.
Oculus HW order quantities and resources are very different than our capabilities. BTW i think, even at 60 000+ quantities, they are going close to none markup, just to get DKs out and ignite much larger consumer business. At least that is what I would do.

Project update:
We are preparing a quick crowd-funding campaign to reach as many Rifters as possible and hopefully collect enough funds to finance line manufacturing slot and larger quantities of HW components. Doing so will allow price well under 300 USD.

As it's possible to manually solder those boards right now, the costs are approx. double, mainly due labor. That is still very good for such an advanced prototype product, but generally way too much.

Mr. Rozsnyo will post campaign start time tomorrow.:) I truly believe this project is to succeed with your help. Thank your for the great support.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

Kernel32 wrote:
cgp44 wrote:Well it looks like palmer has done a good deal to source Samsung OLED.
Oculus HW order quantities and resources are very different than our capabilities. BTW i think, even at 60 000+ quantities, they are going close to none markup, just to get DKs out and ignite much larger consumer business. At least that is what I would do.

Project update:
We are preparing a quick crowd-funding campaign to reach as many Rifters as possible and hopefully collect enough funds to finance line manufacturing slot and larger quantities of HW components. Doing so will allow price well under 300 USD.

As it's possible to manually solder those boards right now, the costs are approx. double, mainly due labor. That is still very good for such an advanced prototype product, but generally way too much.

Mr. Rozsnyo will post campaign start time tomorrow.:) I truly believe this project is to succeed with your help. Thank your for the great support.
Only the board, without the screen, at 300 ?

Return to “Oculus VR”