Post by ido »

Looking good.

Any idea on a ship date?
cgp44
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

Post by cgp44 »

Rozsnyo, these boards are standalones right? I thought standalones were just
more populated RiftUP!s You have been busy designing many different boards.
Your productivity amazes.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

@ geek master aspie man,

your mention of getting better data out of the motion sensor intrigues me (in a I believe you sense).
Are you saying we can get smooth noiseless positional data out of them? That we dont need to put
leds on our foreheads? Do we only need two IMUs, one for the head-on-neck model and the other for the shoulder.
The IMU of the rift just does the gyro angular rotation which is not subject to noise.

The few videos I have watched say you either filter out at greatly reduced rate (no good for VR)
or avoid at all possible 2x integration, given noise and gravity vector error horrific amplification.

Have you looked at any fpga code for instream averaging.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cgp44 wrote:@ geek master aspie man,

your mention of getting better data out of the motion sensor intrigues me (in a I believe you sense).
Are you saying we can get smooth noiseless positional data out of them? That we dont need to put
leds on our foreheads? Do we only need two IMUs, one for the head-on-neck model and the other for the shoulder.
The IMU of the rift just does the gyro angular rotation which is not subject to noise.

The few videos I have watched say you either filter out at greatly reduced rate (no good for VR)
or avoid at all possible 2x integration, given noise and gravity vector error horrific amplification.

The Rift IMU does not threshold the sensor data to its real precision, allowing random noise bits into the mix. It also does not reject sporadic statistical outliers, allowing them to perturb the real data in the filter. This includes the gyro data, which *IS* subject to noise (bits below threshold of precision). Also, factory calibration can be improved. They do it rather quickly and not so accurately.

Measuring the "correct" parameters for all aspects of noise takes about 12 hours of monitoring (or at least 2 hours, depending on what you can live with) on a stabilized motion platform. To eliminate traffic vibration, you need a motion-damped mass such as a concrete slab supported on an inflated inner tube or air mattress (hacker tools) or equivalent "real" stabilized lab bench (similar to what is needed for making holograms). The Rift is mounted on the platform, preferably in a temperature stabilized enclosure (so as not to integrate varying temperature component).

My experience with sensors aligns with my experience with motion control. I pretty much shook up the industry long ago when a customer kept wanting the STANDARD speed profile ramps tweaked to allow more speed AND more accuracy, thought impossible at the time due to industry standard speed vs. accuracy tradeoff. I went to study the situation. Old research papers and such. I found in a very old book (when computers had vacuum tubes) an algorithm they called "bang-bang optimal control", and it said "some day when computers are more affordable, people will actually USE this algorithm". It was long neglected and basically unknown when I implemented, and it allowed us to shift right through that limited speed/accuracy paradigm, giving us speed AND accuracy at the same time. It was a hit, and it runs in machine tools all over the world at companies like IBM, Honeywell Microswitch, Snap-On Tools, and many more (and overseas in Italy, Greece, and other locations). Anyway, with sensors, you can use statistical outlier removal and noise floor thresholding to get past that low pass filter lag now found in typical sensor fusion algorithms. Filtering always adds lag. You can sample at high speed with accuracy and lowest lag if you do as I suggest, and the error rate is not all that bad. However, for greatest precision (more bits) the IMU hardware specs do say to use lower speed (much lower than the Rift 1KHz). IMHO, you can do it fast and just use what precision is actually supported at that speed per the published specs.

EDIT: I just noticed that Palmer said they sample at 8KHz and the filter outputs at 1KHz. Hmm... That means their input data must be really low precision (not many bits of accuracy).

For the hydra, the bad reputation for position error and high lag can be overcome by removing the bad data phase (every fourth sample, with occasion phase slippage), as can be seen in a series of posts starting here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 10#p144417

I am fine with "aspie man", but please do not call me "rain man", okay? I am much higher functioning than that, but I do like a wingman to keep me out of situations like the last day at GDC at the Virtuix booth. My wingan was bed ridden that day after I walked him half to death exploring the streets of San Francisco until after 5AM (then I got my usual aspie 3 hours of sleep, and got ready for the last day of GDC all by myself). Not so good by myself, as I am an easy target for predators like the (non-employee) PR lady at Virtuix. You can read all about my GDC experience, the Virtuix fiasco (Jan is doing his best to "make it right"), ankle-biter trolls attacking in that thread because it says "geekmaster" in the title, and more here:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =26&t=6991

And more "aspie stuff" here:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =24&t=7708

No FPGA stuff yet. Worth checking into someday when I have time, I'm sure...
Last edited by geekmaster on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Ah the streets of san fran. Great city, visited two times. Love the city life. Wish I could live there.
Always on the look out for fiction featuring SF. Stayed in hostel in old Victoria hotel on Mason St.
Got driven mad by the street trumpet player with his continuous 10 second titty.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Wow, I'll have to catch up with some of this sensor fusion stuff.

It's super-interesting, but I don't think I'll have much to add to the subject.
I've done some assembly coding on PIC / 6502 / Z80 / 68000, and C coding for AVR chips / Windoze, and a bit of matrix maths, but this algorithm stuff hurts my brain. lol

With regards to the RiftUP! stuff - I've only just seen that @kavanagao on the DIY thread already found the VIVO XPLAY 3S PHONE'S 2560X1440 6" panel on taobao back in Feb!...

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 34#p148235

The question now is - how to go about getting hold of the datasheet for it, or at least the pinout details / MIPI init sequences?
I know this stuff will likely become available in time, but it would be amazing to be able to use these panels in a new RiftUP! kit.

@geekmaster - I'll definitely be reading up on your info about the Hydra.
If the firmware / RAM can be patched, I'd love to give that a try.

EDIT: Jeez, that raw sample data looks pretty bad! Looks like your filtering should indeed make a big improvement.
"jerking the hydra" LOL

OzOnE.
okay1984
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Nexus 7 2nd Gen 1920x1200. Possible drop-in replacement?

Post by okay1984 »

rozsnyo wrote:
kavanagao wrote: there are 1080p MIPI lcd controller /test board on market,some have hdmi input.
have hdmi input for oculus rift: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a21 ... =&sku=&ug=
http://list.taobao.com/itemlist/default ... rset=utf-8
This is a chineese scam. The picture of the 7" screen is taken from here:
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2014/01/20 ... ingmonday/

Anyway that post truly shows the nature of some/many Chineese people - Tony from Tonylabs seemed very interested in manufacturing for me some boards - and all what is he doing is copying solutions and trying to produce forged boards. But when issues arise, he is hopeless and comes back to ask for help. No wonder he was silent in last weeks and no longer responded to me on Skype.
Hi Daniel and other guys, nice to see your post here. Am I making a Chinese scam? Also shows the nature of some/many Chinese people?How can you say like that?

1. Copying solutions and trying to produce forged boards:

You designed the DP2RETINA adapter board, at the moment, there are 2~3 other design selling on the internet. Like Mike's Mods and late coming Adafruit . You shared your schematic with me and the firmware source code. Because I help you buy cheaper components and parts from China. Right? Do I say anything wrong?

But I can tell the world here, I didn't copy anything from your schematic and source code. Yours is using MC34845 backlight driver and ATxmega microcontroller. Mine is LT3754 and Atmega32u4, the firmware code is Arduino compatible one. Actually Mike Mods' http://mikesmods.com/mm-wp/?p=16 post helped me much more than yours, then I designed my own structure. So, do you mean Benz can make a car, BMW can not? How visible you are a narrow-minded man!

About your Rift Up, did you 'copy' anything from Oculus VR? Nothing at all?

2. No longer responded to me on Skype

We discussed on Skype, you could design the HDMI to MIPI adapter board and I will cover the manufactory costs, both of us can sell. How much money you asked? Could you tell other people here? I'm not sure how much money you can get from Indiegogo, I'm not interested in how will you plan the money, but I was really interested in how much money you wanted to earn from me.

I don't think you really wanted to cooperate with me, and you still tried to get my help, so I no longer response to you on Skype. That's it.

One more thing. Seriously, stop saying bad words about Chinese. Why don't you say Chinese give you free multi-touch panel and FPC connectors before getting nothing from you? Is that also the nature of Chinese?

About the HDMI to MIPI adapter, I almost finished my own design, the company Solomon Systech will fully support on my project. You are not the world, OK?

The end, I need to say sorry for other people, sorry for taking something bad moods here. Sorry!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leftbehind126
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by leftbehind126 »

So is there any update on the timeframe for shipping?

I was literally just a few minutes after the early birds, so if you do end up shipping out the early bird orders first, it would be awesome to include those that were just shy of the early birds.
RaNk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RaNk »

I too am interested in shipping updates. :)
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

The Indiegogo website had changed the format of its layout.

It looks worse and I believe it must be adversely affecting the RiftUp campaign.

It was much more compact and easier to read than before the changes.

To change it around during mid-campaign shows poor and inconsiderate form by them.

Best wishes on you efforts.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

RaNk wrote:I too am interested in shipping updates. :)
What I know, they are waiting plastic frames for RiftUp s. Hope this week it comes!
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

budda wrote:Hi,

The Indiegogo website had changed the format of its layout.

It looks worse and I believe it must be adversely affecting the RiftUp campaign.

It was much more compact and easier to read than before the changes.

To change it around during mid-campaign shows poor and inconsiderate form by them.

Best wishes on you efforts.
I feel totally different.
It is way more structured now and has more information regarding the RiftUP! than before.
I have no clue how you translate a positive change into "poor and inconsiderate form by them", but we are all humans and therefore have different impressions about the same things obviously...and thats FINE ;).

It would have been nice if they would communicate the delay. Karel wrote somewhere they start to ship early this week (the NOW! Tier). And if they don't and they (have to) wait for the plastic frames and in the meanwhile run the automated assembly, anyone who opt for the 599.- (NOW) tier feels a bit fooled...

Another thing:
Is it just me, or is there anyone else who thought to receive TWO sets with the RiftUP!Now tier? One RiftUP! Upgrade (kit) AND the standalone board (kit) with the extra HDMI-IN connector.Therefore also the double price. Nowadays i read it different. The only difference is the earlier delivery (but both state "delivery April 2014)?
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Yes I agree,

It looks like the RiftUP! Now supporters should be compensated.
I suggest they are refunded to the early bird price.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

What about making the frames out of cardboard. Glue paper to the cardboard to
make a nice stiff frame. I make my headsets using this method.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Quoting from Budda's Dictionary of Life
Definition of Early Bird :

- Someone who counts their chickens before they hatch.

- especially true at Easter Time ;)
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

cgp44 wrote:Yes I agree,

Erm, tbh, I always read that as you get a Rift DK1 with the Rift Up screen installed for you,
hence the price (cost of a DK1 + new screen + labour) ?

EDIT: Would also like to hear more progress updates !
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Are you really tbh'ing? Ya gotta take care of your main supporters. Those who forked out
3x early bird just to be a few weeks earlier need fixing.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Hewster wrote:
cgp44 wrote:Yes I agree,

Erm, tbh, I always read that as you get a Rift DK1 with the Rift Up screen installed for you,
hence the price (cost of a DK1 + new screen + labour) ?

EDIT: Would also like to hear more progress updates !
How do you come to that conclusion? Nowhere it states, that they do the installation. For that you would have to send your unit to them, so that makes no sense.
It states clearly, that you tier for a kit, where you do the upgrade. And they will give a link with an installation video to follow. Tbh, shouldn't be tooooo difficult ;).

Budda is right, there is always a risk involved - in anything. The point is, how do you define risk? ;)

I do not care if i get it sooner or later, i would "care" (=feel cheated) if i tier for an "exclusive" earlier enjoyment and in reality everybody receives their RiftUP!s at the same time. Means, that they did state, that the NOWs are hand made (and asap shipped), and the normal kits are send after production (3-4 weeks after indiegogo goal)

But i really believe that they do their best to send out the NOWs asap. Probably they package and send mine while i write this lines...hopefully ;) !
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

Hmmm, maybe I'm not reading it the same as you guys, just for clarity, this is the text:
Hand assembled Oculus Rift DK1 drop-in upgrade kit, including both controller boards and new 1920x1080 display. Shipping in 1-2 weeks International shipping included
I read that as saying "hand assembled DK1 with upgraded parts." presuming they had 10 DK1's to play with.

If you guys are correct, that it means the boards are hand assembled only, I think that is a complete rip off !!

Still hoping to get some official progress report.
rupy
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rupy »

This is such a waste of time, what I would easily pay 300$ for though; is a 720p upgrade with 120Hz or more... that would help VR get where it has to go to be a success!
"It's like Homeworld in first person."
Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS.
Keep the 0.4.4 config utility open for tracking to work.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Hewster wrote:Hmmm, maybe I'm not reading it the same as you guys, just for clarity, this is the text:
Hand assembled Oculus Rift DK1 drop-in upgrade kit, including both controller boards and new 1920x1080 display. Shipping in 1-2 weeks International shipping included
I read that as saying "hand assembled DK1 with upgraded parts." presuming they had 10 DK1's to play with.

If you guys are correct, that it means the boards are hand assembled only, I think that is a complete rip off !!

Still hoping to get some official progress report.
Another opinion ;)
well, it definately does NOT say that a DK1 is included. The term "hand assembled" Targets the kit. As i said, the kit is hand assembled (higher cost, literally paying daniels working hours :shock: , hence the NOW (1-2weeks)) and not manufactured (lower cost, but needs time to produce a whole Batch 3-4 weeks).

I do not consider it a "rip off" because i do accept to pay more for earlier fun AND Little extra for Daniels efforts (maybe only a few are ready to do that, i know, but i feel "oldscool" in that regard...). So it is not about the money - i am lucky and i can afford it, nor the value (probably better if i was right with receiving both kits when i ordered, which was very likely an error - unfortunately) but an enthusiast, "can not wait a minute more, wanna see VR-Cinema and so much more in FHD NOOOWWWW! - little kiddy behavior"...
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

Well it seems most people are happy then (I am, I grabbed an early bird)

Hope you guys that paid for the NOW! version get it really soon.

Cheers,

Hewster.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

Hewster, the more i read it, the less certain i feel what i payed for, lol.

Maybe i receive an already moded DK1, maybe only the kit. Whatever it is, send it NOW! ;).
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

Official UPDATE: RiftUP! NOW tier will ship 24.4. The frames will be delivered to us on next Wednesday - reason for the delay is that we had to change the company who makes them and now we have Easter holidays here (Friday to Tuesday) with people going to vacation... which quite complicates the plan. Mass produced boards are expected to ship around mid-May then.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

rozsnyo wrote:Official UPDATE: RiftUP! NOW tier will ship 24.4. The frames will be delivered to us on next Wednesday - reason for the delay is that we had to change the company who makes them and now we have Easter holidays here (Friday to Tuesday) with people going to vacation... which quite complicates the plan. Mass produced boards are expected to ship around mid-May then.
I must admit, having previously been told that the Rift upgrade would have arrived mid May (before I go on holiday), this delay is a big disappointment. I now face the possibility of this coming whilst I am away and being returned before I come back. Solid dates would help. Obviously the later this arrives the fewer people will buy it in lieu of a DK2.
RaNk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RaNk »

Mid-May, thats a bit naff. (shipping in april??)

I'm 23rd in line for the RiftUP! Upgrade kit.

Lets hope Mid-may doesn't become start of june.
synchromesh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by synchromesh »

rozsnyo wrote:Mass produced boards are expected to ship around mid-May then.
Thanks for the update. Anyone who is surprised that "as soon as possible" becomes "our first, best-case ship date proved to be slightly optimistic" hasn't had much experience with crowdsourced hardware...

For me this project is not about getting a better HMD ahead of the DK2, but about upgrading the DK1 so that it will remain useful on into the future.

Please keep the updates coming, even if they are only "we're still on target".
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

You have got to love the new look RiftUp page on Indiegogo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/riftup#home

They really know how to create a sense of urgency for 'contributors'.

In fine print about 80% down the page it says:
.............................................................................................6 days left

This campaign started on Mar 27 and will close on April 26, 2014 (11:59pm PT)

And I just noticed It also says this briefly at the beginning, until the video loads. :roll:
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

Hey! The RiftUp is using a 1080p display, would it be too hard to use a display running 1440p, since Daniel has his own custom board? 1440p would be totally cool, even at 350 bucks.

Why do people think the Dk2 is going to magically show up at the right month it was announced?! You people do know it's not going to happen, it's a guesstimate. Even Oculus has stated they're surprised at the number of orders coming in. I expect to see the Dk2 show up at my door mid July, maybe, 15,000 buyers got there before I did. Cheers!
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

I am back from vacation (Easter Holidays here)!
Ryuuken24 wrote:Hey! The RiftUp is using a 1080p display, would it be too hard to use a display running 1440p, since Daniel has his own custom board? 1440p would be totally cool, even at 350 bucks.
The RiftUp is fixed to the use of 5.9" 1080p display. What I have seen from Renesas (the maker of the chips for the LCD) is that the 1440p uses DUAL MIPI connection (that is also true for 1600p screens). We know the screen is made by AUO, but they do not want to support us with documentation, so the only source of knowledge (and parts) might be the VIVO Xplay3S phone. There was even a 6.1" 1600p screen from Toshiba few years back, but that was rather a prototype.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

geekmaster wrote:
cgp44 wrote:@ geek master aspie man,

The Rift IMU does not threshold the sensor data to its real precision, allowing random noise bits into the mix. It also does not reject sporadic statistical outliers, allowing them to perturb the real data in the filter. This includes the gyro data, which *IS* subject to noise (bits below threshold of precision). Also, factory calibration can be improved. They do it rather quickly and not so accurately.

Measuring the "correct" parameters for all aspects of noise takes about 12 hours of monitoring (or at least 2 hours, depending on what you can live with) on a stabilized motion platform. To eliminate traffic vibration, you need a motion-damped mass such as a concrete slab supported on an inflated inner tube or air mattress (hacker tools) or equivalent "real" stabilized lab bench (similar to what is needed for making holograms). The Rift is mounted on the platform, preferably in a temperature stabilized enclosure (so as not to integrate varying temperature component).

My experience with sensors aligns with my experience with motion control. I pretty much shook up the industry long ago when a customer kept wanting the STANDARD speed profile ramps tweaked to allow more speed AND more accuracy, thought impossible at the time due to industry standard speed vs. accuracy tradeoff. I went to study the situation. Old research papers and such. I found in a very old book (when computers had vacuum tubes) an algorithm they called "bang-bang optimal control", and it said "some day when computers are more affordable, people will actually USE this algorithm". It was long neglected and basically unknown when I implemented, and it allowed us to shift right through that limited speed/accuracy paradigm, giving us speed AND accuracy at the same time. It was a hit, and it runs in machine tools all over the world at companies like IBM, Honeywell Microswitch, Snap-On Tools, and many more (and overseas in Italy, Greece, and other locations). Anyway, with sensors, you can use statistical outlier removal and noise floor thresholding to get past that low pass filter lag now found in typical sensor fusion algorithms. Filtering always adds lag. You can sample at high speed with accuracy and lowest lag if you do as I suggest, and the error rate is not all that bad. However, for greatest precision (more bits) the IMU hardware specs do say to use lower speed (much lower than the Rift 1KHz). IMHO, you can do it fast and just use what precision is actually supported at that speed per the published specs.

EDIT: I just noticed that Palmer said they sample at 8KHz and the filter outputs at 1KHz. Hmm... That means their input data must be really low precision (not many bits of accuracy).

For the hydra, the bad reputation for position error and high lag can be overcome by removing the bad data phase (every fourth sample, with occasion phase slippage), as can be seen in a series of posts starting here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 10#p144417

I am fine with "aspie man", but please do not call me "rain man", okay? I am much higher functioning than that, but I do like a wingman to keep me out of situations like the last day at GDC at the Virtuix booth. My wingan was bed ridden that day after I walked him half to death exploring the streets of San Francisco until after 5AM (then I got my usual aspie 3 hours of sleep, and got ready for the last day of GDC all by myself). Not so good by myself, as I am an easy target for predators like the (non-employee) PR lady at Virtuix. You can read all about my GDC experience, the Virtuix fiasco (Jan is doing his best to "make it right"), ankle-biter trolls attacking in that thread because it says "geekmaster" in the title, and more here:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =26&t=6991

And more "aspie stuff" here:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =24&t=7708

No FPGA stuff yet. Worth checking into someday when I have time, I'm sure...
I've mentioned that I can 'fix' their IMU's before, but no go. No understanding of this. My biz partner and I , together, but he mostly, and me catching up in knowledge..we can build the world's finest anechoic chambers, that exceed all understanding of anechoic chambers that came before.

Same for safe tables. (ie, DC and up)

Same for the noise levels in the IMU itself. I can reduce ALL forms of noise.

Which, in the end, makes the tuning of the algorithm more exact in it's results. I can teach the military guys something, as that is the level we sometimes get hired at. When all the others fail at getting it done, or won't take the job as they know they can't do it, that's when we get called.

Others get the big jobs and the big pay, we get the dregs that no-one can fix.... But we fix it.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

The firmware is finished - with low persistence functionality. The picture does get significantly sharper, but there is also a ghost image appearing (depending on the screen location and backlight phase) - the global strobing is not the way to make it 100% low persistend, as I have expected*. But I will leave both the backlight pulse length and its phase to be configurable, and you can try to find a setting which works the best for your eyes :)

* The screen is drawn from left to right, in slightly less than 1/60s for the full width, with the image appearing at +XY ms later (display response time) - left is updated at 0+XY, right at 1/60s+XY. There is just no right time (phase/lenght) to strobe (a global) backlight under these conditions.

If anybody here is in NOW! tier, please supply your phone number in PM, we need that for FedEx. Karel will ask for it in email tomorrow.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Is it feasible to add LCD overdrive to make the pixel switching times faster and find a better time to strobe the backlight ?
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

There are two groups of LEDs on the sharp 5.9er.
Rozsnyo, have you explored strobing these separately if the
groups run parallel to the horizontal scan?
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

cgp44 wrote:There are two groups of LEDs on the sharp 5.9er.
Rozsnyo, have you explored strobing these separately if the
groups run parallel to the horizontal scan?
They are interleaved at the end with the chip and quite good distributed, so you can use only one group and not notice the diodes - probably way to save switching power.
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

Hi all... 10 frames we have received today, but they have a flaw - machining the bottom is done mirrored, so the PCB and SCREEN are misaligned by 2-3mm and the FPC is not enough long to accommodate that. We have agreed with the manufacturer to fix the issue and we get 10 fixed frames, with our pickup tomorrow morning. After that, we finally ship the boards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

If we are to source our own connecting harness for reuse of the old DK1 guts.
I see on page 24 rozsnyo's layout. I read a Hirose DF14 -20P -1.25H and DF14-04P connector.
In digikey you just lookup 'hirose df14' to get to df14 series datasheet and available
connecters - get the socket. Viewed digikey socket image with close examination of pulled connector.
It is the one.

Specifically:
H10333-ND is the 20 pin smd'ed header under 'header male pins'
H1573-ND is the crimp socket DF14-20S-1.25C under 'housings' get two or more of these
H1565-ND is the 4 pos DF14-4S-1.25C get two or more of these

Crimping may be a challenge. You need to just squeeze the middle tabs of the socket.
Need a pair of pliers with a narrow lip.
Last edited by cgp44 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bloump
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bloump »

rozsnyo wrote:Hi all... 10 frames we have received today, but they have a flaw - machining the bottom is done mirrored, so the PCB and SCREEN are misaligned by 2-3mm and the FPC is not enough long to accommodate that. We have agreed with the manufacturer to fix the issue and we get 10 fixed frames, with our pickup tomorrow morning. After that, we finally ship the boards.

Hi Rozsnyo, i still don't get it well... are those only for now! backers? i'm like the third of the non early bird.. any date that you can ship? thanks a lot :)
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

The NOW tier was shipped today soon in the morning, finally! Another round (early birds and few others) expected to ship by end of next week. Instructions are being created, in short: the rift cable has to be twisted and shielded properly to make it work.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

rozsnyo wrote:The NOW tier was shipped today soon in the morning, finally! Another round (early birds and few others) expected to ship by end of next week. Instructions are being created, in short: the rift cable has to be twisted and shielded properly to make it work.
Hey, i can see MY parcel on that pic! ;). Any rough instructions on twisting the cable correctly and using your "Opener" utility would be very appreciated. I receive MY RiftUP! tomorrow...

Return to “Oculus VR”