is there a alternative or fork for Freepie in Linux?

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
simulondo
One Eyed Hopeful

is there a alternative or fork for Freepie in Linux?

Post by simulondo »

Hello

In January I started my Linux (Mint) journey and after almost four months I can only say that it has been a great decision. I'm still a noob in this SO but my fear about the change from Windows has disappeared. But one thing I miss a lot is Freepie. As far I know freepie is based in C# so I don't know if it's possible to port it to Linux.

The alternatives that I found (QjoyPad and jstest) for configure my joysticks are not so powerful as Freepie. But as Linux newbie maybe I've not tested all of them, so my question is do you know something similar to Freepie in Linux? is there any project to create a porting for Linux?

Regards.
MarijnS95
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: is there a alternative or fork for Freepie in Linux?

Post by MarijnS95 »

While it would theoretically be possible to compile and run C# code on Linux (though the mono framework), there are a lot of parts that depend on Windows-specific features, such as WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation, the thing that runs the GUI), DirectInput and vJoy. Luckily, IronPython is supported, and FreePIE includes a command-line version. My recommendation is to just try and compile it, strip out everything you don't need and replace all the rest that doesn't work (I guess that's just the DirectInput/joystick part).

If you're not that C#-savvy I can probably try this somewhere next week, but please let me know which parts of FreePIE you use for input/output.
simulondo
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: is there a alternative or fork for Freepie in Linux?

Post by simulondo »

First it all, thank you for volunteering for this task.

I use Freepie for programing complex bindings in python for my joysticks: dual buttons assigments like Ctrl (or Shft)+ another key, or assign a list of commands to one button. But as you have said, I fear that kind of bindings will not possible in linux using freepie.

Other function wich I use a lot is assign functions to voice commands. And again, I think this is not possible to port to linux. I don't know if linux supports voice reconigtion.

Return to “FreePIE”