Freepie crashing on startup - Windows 10 64bit

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
Zhengergiser
One Eyed Hopeful

Freepie crashing on startup - Windows 10 64bit

Post by Zhengergiser »

Hi all,

Recently I wanted to test out Freepie with the Dolphin Emulator.

It seems to crash immediately on startup, with the message 'Freepie.GUI has stopped working'. There are no Freepie-created logs in the root folder that I can post.

In the Windows Event Viewer, the faulting module is listed as d3d9.dll, with the exception code 0xc0000005. In the corresponding .dmp file, the exception there is listed as "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access'.

I've unsuccessfully tried previously posted solutions in regards to this, which was installing vcredist_x86. Net framework 4 and 4.5 are already installed.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers
tychus.dunamis
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Freepie crashing on startup - Windows 10 64bit

Post by tychus.dunamis »

I'm about to move scripts/FreePIE to my Win10 system soon (hoping not to run into similar issues). Have you tried to start FreePIE as admin?
Zhengergiser
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Freepie crashing on startup - Windows 10 64bit

Post by Zhengergiser »

Yeah, tried running it as administrator. Also tried disabling antivirus, no luck.

Actually I got it to run successfully after a while, BUT no idea why it did so. After restarting my computer, the same problem reoccurred and I couldn't replicate the 'fix' again. :(

-------------

Update: Found the cause!

If you have MSI Afterburner installed, it needs to be disabled before running Freepie. Not sure about other GPU overclocking programs.

Return to “FreePIE”