Wiimote over Hydra

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
Pierpy89
One Eyed Hopeful

Wiimote over Hydra

Post by Pierpy89 »

Hi guys,

i was wondering if there a method to use wiimote instead of an hydra when i use my oculus :)

And a little curiosity, which are the differences between glovePie and freePie?

Thnx for the answers :)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Wiimote over Hydra

Post by CyberVillain »

Yes you can output Hydra from FreePIE, but without translation its pretty unusable (Wiimote IR is only for 2D movemnet and we dont have IR support yet)

FreePIE is a open source alternative to GlovePIE, the two have nothign in common other than the problem they try to solve
Pierpy89
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pierpy89 »

FreePIE is a open source alternative to GlovePIE, the two have nothign in common other than the problem they try to solve
haha Nice one xD

Btw thnx for your answer! I continue to follow your project Cyber :)

Look forward for the IR support!

Last question if a game have indipendent move/aim/look only with Hydra, Can i configure the freePie to use keyboard and output Hydra signal? :D
NoxWings
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NoxWings »

Pierpy89 wrote:
haha Nice one xD

Btw thnx for your answer! I continue to follow your project Cyber :)

Look forward for the IR support!

Last question if a game have indipendent move/aim/look only with Hydra, Can i configure the freePie to use keyboard and output Hydra signal? :D
You can emulate Hydra controls but you will need some inputs first. Emulating 2 hand positions and rotations is going to be completely messy using a keyboard...
Pierpy89
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pierpy89 »

NoxWings wrote:
Pierpy89 wrote:....
You can emulate Hydra controls but you will need some inputs first. Emulating 2 hand positions and rotations is going to be completely messy using a keyboard...
You're right! I was thinking to control aim with Mouse, move with keyboard and look with Oculus! The game is Doom 3 BFG edition and it have indipendent move/aim/look only with Hydra...so i think about this solution!

It will be better with wiimote, but for now no IR support!

Can work with keyboard and mouse in your opinion?
NoxWings
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NoxWings »

Pierpy89 wrote:
NoxWings wrote:
Pierpy89 wrote:....
You're right! I was thinking to control aim with Mouse, move with keyboard and look with Oculus! The game is Doom 3 BFG edition and it have indipendent move/aim/look only with Hydra...so i think about this solution!

It will be better with wiimote, but for now no IR support!

Can work with keyboard and mouse in your opinion?
I don't think so, not even using a mouse over keyboard. You have 2 axis with a mouse but you will need 6 axis for one hand position and rotation... Even if doom bfg only uses right hand input (this is an asumption) you will still lack either axis or buttons to emulate it.

If only right hand hydra is really used in game (like the hl2 mod does) you can try to map wiimote rotation and some buttons to emulate the right hand hydra without positional tracking... it's something
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

If you are fine with only yaw and pitch for the weapon i guess it should work using the mouse to emulate Hydra.
If that how doom BFG is using it

The mouse is using relative cordinate system and the hydra aboslute. So you need to store the delta values between each iteration and then add it to a yaw and pitch variable that you feed the hydra plugin with

something like

Code: Select all

if starting:
	ratio = 5 #I have no idea whats good for ratio
	yaw = 0
	pitch = 0
	hydra[0].enabled = True
	hydra[0].isDocked = False

yaw += (mouse.deltaX * ratio)
pitch += (mouse.deltaY * ratio)

hydra[0].yaw = yaw
hydra[0].pitch = pitch
hydra[0].trigger = mouse.leftButton
edit: Dont forget to copy the fake dll to doom BFG fodler and overwrite the orginal sixense dll
Pierpy89
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pierpy89 »

Yes, i assume that we need only pitch and yaw for this FPS!

When i received my oculus i gonna try it!

The variable "ratio" is the sensitivity or a value for transform mouse coordinates in hydra coordinates?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Its sensitivity

which version of BFG is it that you use?
routabaga11
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by routabaga11 »

Just Curious.. Has anyone actually already worked out the code for Wiimotes to be used in place of the Razer Hydra/Vive controller. I have a leapmotion already but I would love to be able to use the Wiimote for its so-so geometry and button presses. Dying to try those shooting games with the Wiimote accessories.

Anyway ill throw a few bucks at you if you have this put together already.
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Post by konstantin_lozev »

CyberVillain wrote:Yes you can output Hydra from FreePIE, but without translation its pretty unusable (Wiimote IR is only for 2D movemnet and we dont have IR support yet)

You could in theory assume your elbows to be ways static and get the wiimote orientation and construct a vector from it. It won't be more than basic pointing functionality, though...
jimrooney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jimrooney »

Couldn't you get the rough position of your hands from the leapmotion and then use the wiimote for orientation and buttons?

Return to “FreePIE”