Spoof/hack oculus rift in native unity demos, possible?

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Spoof/hack oculus rift in native unity demos, possible?

Post by RescueGamer »

For the people who just build their own oculus rift, one of the bad things is that we can´t use the native oculus rift apps, like unity demos (which is around 90% of oculus stuff). These demos don't let us play because of the vertical look, which is restricted for the oculus tracker (unlike tuscany demo, which we can play using mouse, or emulating mouse). The unity demos unlike others oculus native apps (like team fortress), use a "OculusPlugin.dll", so this MAY be possible to hack, or spoof or something in order to get control on look in game, with mouse, others trackers or whatever.

This topic is really painfull, because I can see the demos really well on my DIY Rift, the 3d effect is perfect, but I can't play beacuse of the look, which I can't use even with mouse or mapping look controls on a joystick (I tried it today with Slender the arrival, but when I activate the vr mode I can't use the yoistick for vertical look), is a pain in the ass.

I don't know much about oculus sdk or this "OculusPlugin.dll" in unity demos, so I hope someone can help to the diy community and be able to get headtracking (across freepie) or mouse look on this demos, I will help in anything i can. Thanks for reading :)

Hope this is the right place to post this.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Spoof/hack oculus rift in native unity demos, possible?

Post by CyberVillain »

hi, im on vacation for a few weeks so cant look into it, plus im very busy so its probably good if someone else could look into it
djdevin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by djdevin »

Looks like FreePIE can only read from the Rift but not emulate it. Hopefully it's possible, a la TrackIR/FreeTrack.

I have a dev rift and also a homebrew rift, so I can test.

Edit: maybe not - http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 40#p136313
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Post by RescueGamer »

djdevin wrote:Looks like FreePIE can only read from the Rift but not emulate it. Hopefully it's possible, a la TrackIR/FreeTrack.

I have a dev rift and also a homebrew rift, so I can test.

Edit: maybe not - http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 40#p136313
I know that, but he is triying to emulate oculus track directly, and that's not possible because oculus sdk doesn't use a dll (and because that freePIE CAN'T write in oculus track). What I'm saying is that oculus unity demos use a dll for tracking, only those demos (but they are like 90% of oculus stuff), and maybe someone with knowledges about that can spoof or hack that in order to get control of the camera on those unity demos with mouse, freetrack, trackir or whatever, and that way anyone can use those demos (with or without a original rift).
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I looked into it, the source code for that dll is not made public, so I would have to reverese enginer the whole thing. I dont have the time or the C knowledge for it, maybe someon else with better low level skils than myself can look into it?
3DFPV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DFPV »

I looked into it, the source code for that dll is not made public, so I would have to reverese enginer the whole thing.
So much for the Open Source Virtual Reality headset. It's gonna suck when other companies make headsets and only certain games work with certain headsets. I would love to play these oculus demos with my home built headset with trackir 5 at least with mouse emulation. They should leave it OPEN so that people could even play with a mouse, keyboard and a regular monitor. If they want to make VR happen they need to make it as open as possible.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

There is now a C lib shipped with the SDK. If devs start to use that we have a good entrypoint to emulate the Rift
Amantis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Amantis »

This is still a problem I'm hoping to find a solution to. Can't play any Unity demos, or things like the BBC office player or Experience Japan :cry:
Cercata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cercata »

3DFPV wrote:So much for the Open Source Virtual Reality headset. It's gonna suck when other companies make headsets and only certain games work with certain headsets. I would love to play these oculus demos with my home built headset with trackir 5 at least with mouse emulation. They should leave it OPEN so that people could even play with a mouse, keyboard and a regular monitor. If they want to make VR happen they need to make it as open as possible.
100% Agree

Return to “FreePIE”