Full (yeah, well) Wiimote Support in FreePIE

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
CyberRascal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Full (yeah, well) Wiimote Support in FreePIE

Post by CyberRascal »

Hey everyone, I have some happy news for those of you out there that want to use wiimote accelerometer, motionplus and nunchuck with FreePIE.

As of the beta version I am releasing here and now (not an 'official' release) the above should be fully supported. Additional work is required to support other extensions (I only have a nunchuck, and even that one is borrowed, sorry!) and IR.

So.

Existing features:
  • Calibrated accelerometer (not very accurate - might be something wrong with the accessing code)
    Wiimote core buttons
    Calibrated motionplus
    Nunchuck analog stick
    Nunchuck buttons
    Nunchuck accelerometer
Currently not supported:
  • IR
    Balance board, etc, all the extensions except Nunchuck.
Attached to this post is 5 files:
  • freepie-wiimote-B1-2013-07-27_2130.rar - the release with wiimote support
    wiimote_nunchuck_and_motionplus.txt - using both motionplus and nunchuck at the same time, to control the mouse
    wiimote_nunchuck.txt - using nunchuck stick to control the mouse pointer, left mouse button with nunchuck Z
    wiimote_motionplus.txt - using motionplus to control the mouse pointer, left mouse button with wiimote A
    wiimote_acceleration.txt - simple demonstation of logging the acceleration output
I would really appreciate it if anyone with a wiimote could try it out. Heres how you do it.

Download the release, unpack it and start it.
Open a suitable example script, using some of the hardware you want to try out.
Pair the Wiimote using the toshiba bluetooth stack.
Start the script - at this point, the wiimote should rumble. Let the wiimote lie flat until you see values (calibration)
Check the watch window and / or the mouse pointer for confirmation that everything works!

Things to watch out for:

1) That the wiimote doesn't work at all - You can pair with it using the toshiba stack, but FreePIE doesn't show output.
2) That any or all of the output values are erronous. Acceleration should be 9.81 or so,
and if you use the ahrs fusion of the motionplus it should drift extremely much, but a 90 degree turn should more or less equal 90.
3) FreePIE crashes of course.

For the more adventurous, code is available at https://github.com/maxmalmgren/FreePIE/ ... te-support . I use a library written specifically for the purpose of FreePIE called Dolphiimote, available at https://github.com/maxmalmgren/DolphiiMote .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Full (yeah, well) Wiimote Support in FreePIE

Post by cybereality »

Nice.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Would be really great if you guys with Wiimotes could try this and get back with results. I'm waiting with next release so that I can include this
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

**Runs to find big stash off AA's**

Can't wait to try this, I'll let you know how I get on :)

Btw might be interesting to get FreePie to integrate with Kreyos Smartwatch I mentioned here;

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=18366

EDIT:

Hey it works really well apart from one small issue :P The cursor does respond quite smoothly to in relation to hand movements however the movement axis is wrong way round :( move Wiimote down cursor goes up... move Wiimote left cursor goes right... so almost a flight sim.. :P

Is the inverted Axis thing just a script tweak? As I'd love to try this in HL2 **drool**

Bluetooth connection:
Within the BT stack I chose "Custom Settings" and connected ok and saved shortcut in desktop (useful), have to remember to click "1,2" buttons on Wiimote just after to establish connection. Ran the script and it vibrated. I found the "motion+ only" one to be more reliable I had some probs with the "motion+ & nunchuck" one where it sent my cursor to bottom left of the screen constantly but this likely was due to just having being playing with "Touchmote" software beforehand.

My setup:
Motionplus scripts used.
Black Wiimote with built in motion+
Toshiba Laptop with Toshiba BT Stack V9
Windows 8
No light bar
CyberRascal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CyberRascal »

metronome:

Thanks for the reply! Happy it works alright for you. Right now there is a known issue with using motionplus together with extensions (only nunchuck supported so far). Everything worked alright for me until after the release, which is kind of typical.

Could you spend a little time describing the issue you have? I need to find out if it's the same I have. Here's the known issue:

When using both motionplus and and an extension, the wiimote requires you to run them in interleaved mode, which means that every other message contains motionplus values, and every other contains nunchuck values. The issue I have is that these packets arrive in bursts - first an interval of motionplus, then an interval of nunchuck.

Could you check the watch window outputs to see what what output you get? The "jumping down to corner issue" sounds like it has to do with either executing a bunch of motionplus messages in close proximity or with the calibration being off. You should be able to determine which by looking at the watch window - yaw, pitch, roll should be changing fast if the calibration is off, and change in bursts if it's the other issue.

Cheers :)
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Hi, I tried the wiimote again, with no extensions plugged in.... however diespite lying the mote flat on the table im getting the problem with the mouse cursor being pushed to the bottom left and the values in the watch window are just decreasing constantly currently showing -50,000 and decreasing.

I think you can use VLC for the videos or use the quicktime plugin Chrome will install.

The "motion+ only" script will push my cursor to the bottom of the screen, which you can see happening by the Windows 8 start block appearing.

if I start the "motion+ & nunchuck" script and then plug the nunchuck in, the values then show up soon as the nunchuck is connected and I can then operate the mouse cursor.

If I start the "motion+ & nunchuck" with the nunchuck already plugged in I get an additional line about the Z button being pressed but I can't control the cursor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by metronome on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Next video
CyberRascal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CyberRascal »

Thanks for the videos!

Your issues with the "nunchuck + motionplus" script seems to be the exact problem I have (but didn't have before) - that the wiimote chooses between either motionplus or nunchuck, either once at the start of the script or continually. That problem is confirmed on my end so I can work on it.

Your other problem, where the m+ integrated values goes nuts, I haven't been able to reproduce yet. The data in wiimote.ahrs is integrated from the motionplus data available in wiimote.motionplus.

If you could add this to the motionplus script (replace the existing log_motionplus):

Code: Select all

def log_motionplus():
	mouse.deltaX = filters.deadband(filters.delta(wiimote[0].ahrs.yaw), 0.1) * 10
	mouse.deltaY = filters.deadband(-filters.delta(wiimote[0].ahrs.pitch), 0.1) * 10
	diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].ahrs.yaw)
	diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].ahrs.pitch)
	diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].ahrs.roll)
	diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].motionplus.yaw_down)
	diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].motionplus.pitch_left)
	diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].motionplus.roll_left)
The bottom three lines are the ones added. Run the script and watch yaw_down, pitch_left, roll_left... It should be close to 0 when the wiimote is stationary...

If they are not, we'll need to figure out why the calibration doesn't work :D. (very important that the wiimote is lying flat on the table at script start though, but from the video it seems that's what you're doing).

Thanks for the debugging help :)
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Yeah, the wii mote was lying flat... I'm going to give this script a go later today and see how it goes... Looking forward to seeing how things progress, I so want this as a portable VR system :)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Se have found the problem with nunchuck + motionplus and are working on fixing it.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Ah cool, I look forward to giving that a go and seeing how it works out :)
mxxmmxxm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mxxmmxxm »

It recognizes my (very stubborn) WiiMote TR instantly, and at least gets numbers from the main thing, the motionplus, and the nunchuck. Which actually puts it ahead of the last GlovePIE release. :)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Nice to hear, we will have a new version out soon! Stay tuned
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

:) can't wait to try it out especially after all the fixes, my next dilema is choosing which FPS tobplay and find a new gun attachment :D
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

My brother who is doing the Wiimote support is a bit slow with progress :D Maybe if you guys express your urgency to get this supported he will get motivated to work harder :P

He need to implement support for the new thread timing engine in FreePIE after that nunchack and Mplus should work together.
CyberRascal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CyberRascal »

Just wanted to let anyone interested know: I've commited and pushed support for using MotionPlus and Nunchuck at the same time. I've also made a few stability improvements, notably a bug / timing issue that caused enabling MotionPlus or MotionPlus + Nunchuck sometimes fail (only enabled nunchuck).

I will discuss how to release a binary with CyberVillain, but probably we'll do a beta binary in this thread for testing out the timing issues, before going with a full official release :)

Cheers.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Heres a new binary for you guys to try.
Important, add these two lines to inside the if starting: closure

Code: Select all

if starting
	system.setThreadTiming(TimingTypes.HighresSystemTimer)
	system.threadExecutionInterval = 2
CyberRascal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CyberRascal »

Alright, for your convenience I've updated the example scripts that use acceleration, motionplus, nunchuck and nunchuck + motionplus. They are attached to this post.

For the interested, the most important difference is the thread timing code, where you request the high res timer timing strategy, and set the requested timing as one 2 ms (which is the frequency at which Wiimote seem to communicate best).

The other difference is that the code that requests that different capabilities are enabled (such as Motionplus or Extensions) are made a part of the 'starting' code, due to a bug fix which fixes a issue where Motionplus wouldn't get initialized. Any existing scripts (if any, heh) should update their code to reflect the above differences.

Some time soon we will have to improve the documentation to include a more thorough description of how FreePIE actually works (as the complexity is growing)!
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Would be really good if you guys can try this out because I am waiting to get this confirmed before I can release a new version of FreePIE
mxxmmxxm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mxxmmxxm »

The motionplus+Nunchuck works very nicely for me! Gives a very smooth mouse emulation without a lot of jitter.

The first time I ran it, I had to unplug and replug the nunchuck to get it to see the motionplus, but all subsequent runnings seemed to work just fine.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Thanks for trying it out, nice that it works smoothly.
That can be a bug, will check it out, thanks!
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

@mxxmmxxm

Does the problem with MPlus happen each time you start FreePIE or do you need to restart your computed for it to resurface?
Charlienofun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Charlienofun »

will FreePIE work with the current "built in motion plus" wiimotes? or a clone of it?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Charlienofun wrote:will FreePIE work with the current "built in motion plus" wiimotes? or a clone of it?
It should work with all motes that work with the Dolphin emulator since we use the same BT code base. Do you have the mote so that you can try or are you planning on buying one?
mahou
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mahou »

I have only tried using the buttons, for a NES style controller, and that has worked smoothly so far.
This is also the only setup (outside of Dolphin) I have gotten my newer model wiimote to work with.

Any plans on adding support for more extensions? (Classic Controller?)
Is this supported by DolphiiMote already, or would you have to work it in there first?

If I ever find the time to wrap my head around the codebase, I could possibly help a bit on the implementation. But for now I can at least try to help by testing.

Thank you for your work on this :)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

We had to reverse engineer the wiimote protocol, the dolpin code only provides us with a way of getting data of a wide range of motes, but we have to decode that data our self (This is done by the wii bios in the dolphin emulator).

This means that we have to code specific support for each extension
mahou
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mahou »

I see.

So, I might want to try to implement some Classic Controller support.
I assume using the reverse engineered spec on wiibrew.org as reference would be the way to go.

Is there some kind of documentation for the wiimote plugin that could make getting to know the code easier? (Some kind of data flow overview f.ex. would be very helpful.)
Or would I just have to dive into it blind?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

The library code is here

https://github.com/maxmalmgren/DolphiiMote

I would contact CyberRascal here on the forum (My brother :D) he is the guy responsible for reverse enginering dolphimote. Yeah he used wiibrew to get the info.
nphage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nphage »

I have been using GlovePIE for years and just stumbled on this thread for FreePIE and decided to try it out.

So far I am not having much luck. I seem to be having the issue that metronome was having. With the motion+ only script the cursor just goes to the bottom left of the screen with the values in the watch window constantly decreasing. With the motion+ and nunchuk script at first the motion+ doesn't register then if I unplug and replug the nunchuk the motion+ registers and the cursor gets stuck on the bottom of the screen. Same thing if I start without the nunchuk and then plug it in. Sometimes I can actually move the cursor left and right, but it is always stuck at the bottom. This happens with both a wiimote with a built in motion+ and one with an external motion+. All are official Nintendo products and the one with the built in motion+ is a non TR model.

I am using the script examples with the Thread Timing included.

The strange this is that when I run the acceleration script everything seems to behave correctly with x, y, and z values maxing out at ~+/-10.

My setup:
FreePIE version 1.3.422.0
Black Wiimote with built in motion+ and standard white Wiimote with separate motion+
Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth 2.1 + EDT USB Dongle
Windows 7
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Hi and welcome to FreePIE nphage!
With m+ only did you let the Mote stay flat for a while after you started the script (Calibration)?

I will talk to the guy behind the Wiimote plugin and see if he has any ideas
nphage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nphage »

Thanks CyberVillain.

Yeah it happens even if I don't touch the wiimote. After testing it quite a few more times it seems to work correctly about 10-20% of the time. I don't do anything differently between when it works and when it doesn't. Sometimes nothing shows up in the watch window after I start the script, but that might just be when I start the script too fast after stopping it.

When it does work the directions are backward, but I imagine that could probably be changed in the script.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

We are going to look into this, but its a bit hard since it does not happen with our motes/systems
nphage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nphage »

I understand. It is hard to solve problems you can't replicate. I appreciate the effort and all of the work you have already put into this program. If there is any more testing I can do that would be helpful let me know.
dkovari
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dkovari »

I just discovered FreePIE and I'm glad to see someone has stepped in to fill the gap left after glovePIE got hacked.
Being a noob, I'm curious: what needs to happen to integrate IR tracking support for the wiimote?
Admittedly it's been a few years since I even messed around with pairing wiimotes with anything other than a wii, but once upon a time didn't IR tracking work within wiiuse (from which most of the wiimote libraries are forked)?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Hi dkovari!

IR is not currently supported, the protocol is a mess so we decided to let this be for now so that we could get a release out. We do not have a ETA on the support, and the guy that did the Wiimote part of FreePIE is not that active in the project anymore sadly.

Feel free to check the source out and see if you can contribute!
Yoder808
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yoder808 »

I too get the "bottom left corner" syndrome. My wiimote[0].motionplus.* values are all around -415 (+/- 15) at rest. I'm using a official WiiMote with an external MotionPlus.

Did anyone find a workaround for this? I tried stopping/starting the script around 25 times, but same result each time. Awesome work on FreePie as always guys!

Additional information:

Freepie Build: 1.3.422.0

Using the following script:

def log_motionplus():
mouse.deltaX = filters.deadband(filters.delta(wiimote[0].ahrs.yaw), 0.1) * 10
mouse.deltaY = filters.deadband(-filters.delta(wiimote[0].ahrs.pitch), 0.1) * 10
diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].ahrs.yaw)
diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].ahrs.pitch)
diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].ahrs.roll)
diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].motionplus.yaw_down)
diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].motionplus.pitch_left)
diagnostics.watch(wiimote[0].motionplus.roll_left)

def simulate_mouse():
global previous
if wiimote[0].buttons.button_down(WiimoteButtons.A):
if not previous:
previous = True
mouse.setPressed(0)
else:
previous = False

if starting:
system.setThreadTiming(TimingTypes.HighresSystemTimer)
system.threadExecutionInterval = 2

global previous
previous = False
wiimote[0].motionplus.update += log_motionplus
wiimote[0].buttons.update += simulate_mouse

wiimote[0].enable(WiimoteCapabilities.MotionPlus)

Thanks
- Yoder
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

We need to look into this but the guy behind the plugin is not that active in the project anymore and I do not have time to look into the code base sadly. I will see if he can look into this.

It would be really good if someone with good c++ knowledge could take over the plugin from him since we need active development on this plugin, anyone up to the task?
CyberRascal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CyberRascal »

Hey everyone, I'm back to working a bit on FreePIE after a long hiatus. I'd really like to get Motionplus working for everyone out there, but I need some data collected as I can't reproduce the problem myself. Anyone that has the problem where the mouse pointer shoots towards the corner or so, please help!

I have built a special version of FreePIE that includes the necessary logging, so all you need to do is download it, run it with a script using the Motionplus, and attach the resulting wiimote-log.bin file to a post in this topic.

The version might be unstable so to avoid crashes just run the script I also attach to this post (which, I think, is the same as another of the example scripts above)

If you want to check the resulting file, there is a file called FreePIE.ReadWiimoteLog.exe, run it to unpack the binary file to a txt (in the same directory)

Thanks for the help!
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Please try this guys, we really want to find whats causing this!
nphage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nphage »

I tried the logging version of the program. Here is the log file for the run that didn't work correctly and the log file converted to text for both a run that worked and one that didn't. I couldn't get the bin file to upload so added .txt to the end. I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need any more testing.
wiimote-log-notworking.txt
wiimote-log-working.txt
wiimote-log.bin.txt

Return to “FreePIE”