Wiimote at HTPC

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
oji
One Eyed Hopeful

Wiimote at HTPC

Post by oji »

First of all thank you for your software, it's just great. I understand that the purpose of the FreePIE is to use different gamepads in addition to a default peripherals.

But for me the main goal it to replace keyboard & mouse with the WiiMote at all. And I've encountered a few problems on my way:
  • Wii Remote auto connection. In the BlueSoleil stack I've to manually reconnect the paired device every time when I press 1+2 on it. In the Microsoft stack it's doesn't even remember connection & if I turn off WiiRemote it's required for me to pair it again every time. But I've found a workaround — if I launch FreePIE & run (any) script, when I press 1+2 on my WiiRemote it's successfully connects. But as script is already running, all button mappings aren't working. So I need to stop & restart script to reassociate my hotkeys. And as if I've nothing but the Wii Remote attached to the HTPC, there is no way to do it. Is there any possibility to restart script automatically on the new device (WiiRemote) detection?
  • Wii Remote sleep mode. As its purpose is to control media PC, I want to copy the original Wii behavior — put WiiMote to sleep if it's not used for a while. Can it be done by the FreePIE software?
P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Re: Wiimote at HTPC

Post by konstantin_lozev »

Hi, I am also new here, but I have had many, many problems with wiimote connectivity over bluetooth. I somehow managed to get around most of the problems, but even now I get disconnects now and then, which require re-connection and the laborious process that you just described.
On your second question - do you want the script simply to ignore the wiimote for some time after it has been left laying still and to stop ignoring it after you shake it? That should be pretty easy.
Otherwise, I am not sure you will be able to implement a real "battery off" sleep mode. You can always switch the wiimote off from the power button, but that will require a re-connect.
I am sorry if the last thing here would sound a bit trollish, but I would simply get an airmouse with integrated keyboard for an HTPC. Typing with the windows on-screen keyboard and the wiimote is simply nerve-wrecking. I have tested and own this cheap one and it works great:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ABBT ... UTF8&psc=1
oji
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Wiimote at HTPC

Post by oji »

Hi, Konstantin.

For the second question — i want it to switch off completly on timeout. If the restart script feature will be implemented all you need for reconnection is to press 1+2 & wait when FreePie detect device & restart script.

Thank you for controls suggestion. I've already tried some of them as well as an IR remote. From all of my experience the WiiMote scheme is the best (IR for mouse pointer, i hope it's support will be added sometime). I love how it works in the WiiMC player, but Wii's hardware it not powerful enough to play HD.

Return to “FreePIE”