VR/AR programming assumes that body and head move in tandem

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
flak
One Eyed Hopeful

VR/AR programming assumes that body and head move in tandem

Post by flak »

“Simultaneous visual and aural immersion is the linchpin of a true virtual reality experience” explained Dr. Mathias Johansson, founder and CEO of Dirac Research. “It’s what separates reality, experienced virtually, from an obvious representation of such. Until today, the limitations of the 3D audio technology used in VR/ AR programming have prevented this true immersion from being created, rendering a gaming, entertainment, or educational VR experience that is fundamentally flawed, with too many reminders that true reality exists elsewhere. With Dynamic 3D Audio, these limitations no longer exist. True simultaneous visual and aural immersion is now a certain reality within the virtual experience”

According to Johansson, Dirac’s Dynamic 3D Audio is comprised of multiple fundamental breakthroughs, the most central being the development of the patent-pending Dynamic HRTFs that consider the isolated movements of the head in relation to the torso. “If a phone rings to my left, its sound waves enter my left ear a fraction of a second before my right, and the sound bounces off my shoulders and head in various ways that allows my brain to localize the sound and instinctively rotate my head alone to face its source” continued Johansson. “This is reality; yet, prior to our development of Dynamic HRTFs and their application in the Dynamic 3D Audio platform, it couldn’t be correctly reproduced virtually. Prior solutions assume that the head and torso rotate in tandem. The failure to accurately reproduce dynamic head movements in virtual reality is one of the reasons why existing 3D sound solutions don’t sound quite realistic”

A breakthrough Dynamic 3D Audio platform will be demoed at CES 2017, Venetian Suite 31-215, between January 5-8, 2017.
More on the subject here: http://www.dirac.com/news/2016/12/6/dir ... technology

Flavio
flak
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: VR/AR programming assumes that body and head move in tan

Post by flak »

This is a video about the proof of concept that has been demoed at CES..

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvDMxk9 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube-hd]

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”