Samsung to build super-resolution mobile phone display.

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Samsung to build super-resolution mobile phone display.

Post by budda »

Hi,

This development just seems crazy, but I am sure you will be hearing lots more about this.

Samsung Display to develop a super-resolution (11K, 2550 PPI) mobile display

.... Samsung explains that this "super dimension" display will enable an "optical illusion" that will enable 3D images.
The news is here at OLED-Info :

http://www.oled-info.com/samsung-displa ... le-display

Thanks.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Samsung to build super-resolution mobile phone display.

Post by Dilip »

May be in 2018 NVIDIA VOLTA in Quad NVIDIA SLI can drive that beast at VR grade FPS with medium LoD. Or can it?
(As per nvidia projected road map VOLTA[2018]= 2X Pascal[Q2/Q3 2016] = 20X Maxwell (gtx 980)[Q3 2014] )

More pixel screens are useless for Mass VR, unless there is within public reach processing power there to accompany.
We even in 2016 are not going to see WQHD OC CV (1280X1440 per eye) or even FHD per eye OC CV, so these type news doesn't excite me much now :roll:

See example

You may be SUPER WOW at this DX12 Demo "Witch Chapter 0" by Square Enix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpDdOIZy-4k

Its so boring to know that the machine that was driving this was having TITAN X in QUAD SLI ...See the opening minutes of demo.
Each card costing nothing less than $1040 a piece even today...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

The whole quad GPU bunch bounce you back by ~$4200 to accompany it you will need rest of system at least worth~$1600

So here $5800 We are talking about...Well beyond the reach of majority gamers. :(

Samsung super res display too be prototype in 2018 may be available for VR use in 2020 .....
But by then will VR be there.......? (Fall of 3d took just 3 years .. there were many Stereo 3D products in 2012 in 2015 its dying breed)
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Wow, this is fantastic. 3D without glasses and super-super pixel depth wowey, this sounds great.

It will be a good idea to have those phone displays patched into a Tv box flat panel. So arrange a bunch of them into a 32 inch panel and that would make me so happy. Or just have this 3D tech into a 32 inch autostereoscopic display. I really don't want to wear a HMD to watch movies/news and surf the net. A HMD would only be good for tripping out in games.

I guess once it is 2020, 5 or so years from now there should be pci-express 4.0 or 5.0 and the cords to connect displays like display port or hdmi should have some sort of extension like 1 Tb/s transfer, Even the wireless AC wave that's out now goes at least 80 MB/s steady through walls and rooms.

Samsung said before that they can perform the G-FX for this kind of display within a smartphone since its components are spaced and timed together with really fast signals. Although the Voxels won't come close to Video pc/Console graphics, But If its in 3D and have some good texture units processors that's all that it might need.

What would happen if the Titan X cost only $180.00 dollars, would you buy 8 of them and build two gaming 4 sli machines. I think Nvidia is trying to make money with the least amount of work possible and have a compition with themselves.

Hopefully I come into allot of money around this time and have some to spare... :woot
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

IMHO Nvidia card hardly become too cheap before they become absolute obsolete and become invisible from market.......
Dom wrote:I think Nvidia is trying to make money with the least amount of work possible and have a competition with themselves.
Seriously you think so? Compare processing prowess of Kepler Vs Fermi its huge difference in terms of Performance Per watt as well as Performance per dollar.
True they are not opening all their cards..aren't they in business to be sustaining one really their R&D must be 2 steps ahead of whatever they are offering on market today... So is case with every successful company ....Do you think V2 of the products just get ready within period of release difference V1 & V2, those are already tested and inline of production when V4 is in R&D.

If they offer no real performance difference no one is naive to shell out cash and upgrade.
Dom wrote:Hopefully I come into allot of money around this time and have some to spare...
Lucky!
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

I suspect the super-resolution display being made by Samsung will either be a parallax barrier display for free 3D viewing (like the Nintendo 3DS) or it will be a Virtual Reality Display of the Oculus Rift type.

If they can develop a passable method of upscaling at that resolution, then it will help future proof the display technology until the graphics processing pipeline catches up. Surely there will be 16 or 64 multicore mobile processors available before long to help things.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Dilip wrote:IMHO Nvidia card hardly become too cheap before they become absolute obsolete and become invisible from market.......
Dom wrote:I think Nvidia is trying to make money with the least amount of work possible and have a competition with themselves.
Seriously you think so? Compare processing prowess of Kepler Vs Fermi its huge difference in terms of Performance Per watt as well as Performance per dollar.
True they are not opening all their cards..aren't they in business to be sustaining one really their R&D must be 2 steps ahead of whatever they are offering on market today... So is case with every successful company ....Do you think V2 of the products just get ready within period of release difference V1 & V2, those are already tested and inline of production when V4 is in R&D.
I know most of the reasons why Nvidia and most hardware companies raise costs- due to higher quality parts, better wages, better support, more features, more advanced software and cooperation with 3rd parties oem and GNU plus extensive OS support.

So I am not trying to say bad things about Nvidia's markets strategy. They produce chips Nvidia brands and software-drivers. They are getting a bad reputation year out for failing to support their users pc builds and what they have from video drivers OS errors. They're home brew builders... But I know we have to follow the "terms and conditions" for using these hardware components. My lan cannot beat or bypass a mainframe sysop law condition and audit.

With performance and I am happy now and whatever else they got to show would be very nice. Consumers do need a break from their wallet every so often though. Its nice to have a brand new stash of high quality products waiting to opened bought from the store.
budda wrote:I suspect the super-resolution display being made by Samsung will either be a parallax barrier display for free 3D viewing (like the Nintendo 3DS) or it will be a Virtual Reality Display of the Oculus Rift type.
I hope its going to be good, and hope its going to make digital HD tv in 3d and windows OS desktop and menus. Everything is already in 3D, its just not on the template for processing in layers and filters. It has a lot to do with our human eyesight too. Tech has to help us see better lol
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Samsung won`t produce this display.
They are going to produce Magic Leaps device since they dont want to get eaten by their competitors.
Magic Leap needs advanced semiconductor manufacturers.
2D Displays are going to be a Thing of the past.
Display manufacturers will produce holographic TVs rather than 2D Displays.
HOlographic Age is coming. 2017. Starting with ML dev kits next year. :woot
Also holographic storage is beginning. Akonia Holographics is introducing a 25TB holographic cartridge , discs with 4TB.
3D optical storage is expected to hold 22Exabytes in one 1.2mm disc at 100,000 layers. (storex technolgies(already made 6PB discs))
3D NAND wont scale anymore. Too expensive. Same with HDDs.
Chips are going photonic in the next decade. The photonic age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPnVev74qjU
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I am expecting 4K display on new 'Phone For VR' by Samsung .. During Oculus Connect 2 2015 event.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

interesting devlopments occuring in the mobile VR space. I like the direction where all is heading. 11k by 2018. :woot
Anyways, i think the future will be a lightweight wave guide near eye product. (in 15 years even a waveguide holographic contact lens)
Optics build into the glass/plastic. Some technologies allow building a eyetracking laser and sensor into the plastic.
Mainstream needs a 1 ounce AR device with light field capabilites.
HOlolens technology (surface relief gratings) only has a 15° FOV and is NOT holographic. SBS.
http://www.displaydaily.com/articles/44 ... plications
http://www.digilens.com/digilens-wavegu ... rm-factor/

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”