Wearality Lenses

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
DonGateley
One Eyed Hopeful

Wearality Lenses

Post by DonGateley »

Check this out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... escription

I went to their demo in San Jose last night (4/20/15) and could hardly have been more deeply impressed. The CTO told me that they fully expect folks to pop out the lenses for adaption to DIY projects. The principles (CEO, COO and CTO) impressed me as much as the lenses themselves.
Daturian
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Wearality Lenses

Post by Daturian »

What I'd like to know is if their product is basically similar to what geekmaster was working on a couple of years back by stacking Fresnel lenses
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 865#p98869

Strange how geekmaster was even estimating that he was getting about 150 degrees FOV with some of his set ups, and then that is what Wearlity is claiming with their lenses.

To be honest, the pricing seems absolutely atrocious on their Kickstarter. Some fresnel lenses and a little bit of plastic and they want more than $70* for the consumer version? It's not much more than a wider FOV Google Cardboard and you can get fully enclosed plastic Google Cardboard-style units from china for $20-$30 including some plastic lenses.

Still... I REALLY want to get a pair so I can pull the lenses out and try them out with my own DIY HMD, but I'm just having a hard time justifying it at that price as I spent roughly $40 on optics that were made of glass. I was seriously considering it when the $50 level was still available but that ship has sailed.

* based upon their $69 contribution level that says "significant reduction from retail"
Daturian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Daturian »

Looks like they've added a Mod Kit version for $49 which gives you just the lenses which will be delivered in August rather than October and shipping is also cheaper (free in the US, not so free at $10 for up here in Canada)

They're apparently going to be releasing the drawings as well to help people mod their DIY HMDs.

Not bad!
mwarren
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mwarren »

US Patent Application Publication 2012/0120498 has more details about Wearality's lenses (included by reference in, for example, granted US patent 8625200). One of the interesting inventions curves the lenses around the eye's center of rotation to keep the Fresnel ridges perpendicular to the visual field and thus out of view (see [0048] in US2012/0120498). The preliminary description of the human visual system in that application (as well as an in-person demo of the lenses) also implies that they've designed a custom magnification pattern to optimally map pixels onto the retina.
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

"Open design and increased FOV reduces or eliminates 'simulation sickness' and eyestrain". Why does the open design eliminate simulation sickness?
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

Because open design allows for real world situational awareness...
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

cert wrote:"Open design and increased FOV reduces or eliminates 'simulation sickness' and eyestrain". Why does the open design eliminate simulation sickness?
Why does an open design reduce eye strain ???
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

brantlew wrote:Why does an open design reduce eye strain ???
Exactly eyestrain has much to do with staring directly in light source and less efficient head tracking and other artifact associated with staring at mobile screen , aka intensity backlight of cell phone display..

I have significantly reduced eyestrain in my Google cardboard when used phone with better head tracking a compatible less movement prone apps like Tiltbrush and dimming mobile screen light to 20%.

Eye strain was high when i was enjoying ROLLER COASTERS due to my eyes habit of trying to focus on environment objects in fast moving screens.
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Haloar »

Do people have greatly differing eye axis lengths corresponding to different optimal curves for the Wearality lenses? Also how much would the eye axis lateral shift be a noticeable effect within the 150 degree FoV?

Nevertheless it's a great solution and very thoughtful in terms of the pixel to eye mapping.

I've noticed recently other optics producers besides Wearality writing their own programmes for optics engineering due to insufficiency of Zemax, COMSOL etc.

Every ideal solution of thin film lenses I've come across unfortunately need either or both of polarised light and narrow band sources.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”