Motion VR Headset (updated!)

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
skyegreen42
One Eyed Hopeful

Motion VR Headset (updated!)

Post by skyegreen42 »

Hey! I am going to be designing a VR HMD! What sets it apart is price, and design. This device will be made of nice materials, giving it a more gamers' look :P . Here is where price comes in.
Using a 1280x800 display with a diffuser will almost eliminate the screen door effect :woot . Although, this will make the LCD a tad duller, the tradeoff will be worth it (I hope). If this becomes a final product, it will have a nicer looking screen, and a better diffuser. The problem with desktop VR these days is that you have to really spend money to update your computer. With a specially designed SDK, there will be different settings. Using a driver, this SDK can figure out what setting is best for your computer. Lets say you use a GTX 980 ti. Graphics settings will be turned all the way up. If you use a GTX 650, it will turn the graphics down to a suitable amount for the headset. This will be a one time setup. You would start a compatible program, and it would open a window on your desktop. It will ask if it can check your computers specifications. Once its done, it will store the graphics info in the SDK folder. The graphics can range from this:
Image (credit to google)

to this:
Image (credit to VR Bits)

So yeah! A VR headset that adjusts to your computer! That would spread compatibility to many computers! I feel everyone should get to try VR! :D

BOM and Specs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pr2 ... sp=sharing :)

Cardboard prototype: Image
Last edited by skyegreen42 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Motion VR Headset

Post by geekmaster »

skyegreen42 wrote:Hey guys! A while ago, I had an idea that would fix the problem with the Oculus. Price. Although the Oculus Rift costs 350 dollars, it would cost about 1500 dollars to build a PC for the Rift. What if there was a VR device that did all the hard work, on the HMD itself? How would that work? :)
It's called a GearVR, if you include the phone as part of the HMD. That USB video device you linked lacks sufficient power for realistic VR. Strapping a GTX980 to your face would heat your face and be noisy, unless it was liquid cooled (more complexity).
Last edited by geekmaster on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyegreen42
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by skyegreen42 »

There are sooooooo many problems with what the original device was going to be, so i'm taking a different approach. Stay tuned!
skyegreen42
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by skyegreen42 »

geekmaster wrote:
skyegreen42 wrote:Hey guys! A while ago, I had an idea that would fix the problem with the Oculus. Price. Although the Oculus Rift costs 350 dollars, it would cost about 1500 dollars to build a PC for the Rift. What if there was a VR device that did all the hard work, on the HMD itself? How would that work? :)
It's called a GearVR, if you include the phone as part of the HMD. That USB video device you linked lacks sufficient power for realistic VR. Strapping a GTX980 to your face would head your face and be noisy, unless it was liquid cooled (more complexity).
I don't word things that well, do I? :lol: Yeah, I know what a Gear VR is, but you must own either a Note 4 or a S6/S6 Edge. I changed the post a lot, its no longer a GPU (thankfully). It adjusts the software depending on the hardware you already have. Honestly, no one would want a noisy, heavy and hot device on their head. Liquid cooling? Hah, I've had a terrible experience with that. :lol: It would definitely be better if software compensated for the hardware the user owns, than having a glitchy, non user friendly machine on their face.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”