Haptic Vest

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
NobleBrutus
One Eyed Hopeful

Haptic Vest

Post by NobleBrutus »

Edit in Progress, please bare-with.

My post on Oculus Forums about Kor FX should bide this over:

Believe it or not, but I've been buying up Aura Interactors over the past few months (£7-£15 a piece) for my own haptic vest project (Got 4 now). Basically it works the same as the Kor FX but uses the much larger Aura speakers positioned front left, front Right, Back left and Back Right (debating adding a Centre to complete 5.1 but it could get pretty heavy). It then 'listens' to my 5.1 analog output and gives proper directional haptics. My cheap jacket ripped though so I'm off to buy another from the charity shops this week to complete assembly.

Is there any difference in functionality between having two Auras and a Kor FX besides being wireless? (Disregarding Ergonomics of course). Am I right in saying this is all fluff?: "Our acousto-haptic technology uses audio and special transducers to create precise, directed haptic output. This output echoes into your chest cavity and turns your body into an instrument that allows you to feel the environment extremely accurately."

Still, best of luck to them and everyone else trying to improve VR

I will try to update this and upload images and thoughts once complete.

Update: I've purchased a new Jacket but still have a way to go yet in assembly. I'm off travelling now for about 5 weeks though so don't expect another update too soon. ;)
Last edited by NobleBrutus on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Haptic Vest - Electronic Circuit critique needed.

Post by cybereality »

Sorry, I can't help you. But I wish you luck with your idea.
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Re: Haptic Vest - Electronic Circuit critique needed.

Post by Ryuuken24 »

Can't you just buy a heptic FPV vest from 3D games?! I'm sure you can get it cheap.
NobleBrutus
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Haptic Vest

Post by NobleBrutus »

@Cyber Thanks, no problem.

@Ryuuken24 I assume you're talking about the 3rd Space Vest from TN Games? If a decent number of games still supported it I would just use it as you say. But from what I've read though almost all the games that once apparently supported it no longer work. Therefore I'm trying to make my own vest that does not rely on complex integration with games and should theoretically work on any game that supports 5.1 surround sound... we'll see how well it works I'm finished ;) If it's useless then at least I'll have learnt something from it.

On another note, does anyone know if it's possible to output 2.0 headphone sound and 5.1 S.S. simultaneously? It would make it easier to use with the rift and other VR equipment.
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

You can buy the SDK from TN-games, and make your own patch for any game you want. Isn't that still easier than 3D sound to hardware interface?
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

It's pretty lame.

The RoadToVR article on it pretty much coincided with my experience.
The demo video was just constant rumble and using it with CS:GO had the sensation of exactly what you'd expect: the regular audio, but bumping into your chest.

You'd have to pay me to play games with it.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

so basically its like having a lot of bass held up against your chest?

What really threw me was that it only covers half of your chest anyway....
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I wrote a quick review of the Kor-fx vest here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 66#p152666

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”