[DIY] InfinitEye, an ULTRA wide FOV HMD for approx 500$

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
darkange69
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: [DIY] InfinitEye, an ULTRA wide FOV HMD for approx 500$

Post by darkange69 »

It can be used with vireo but you will havr yo modify the side by side cfx. I make it work with hl2 and mirror edge. The only problem it that vireo only work with dx9 game so i am working with another tool which work with dx9, dx10 and dx11 games.
Bluedeath
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bluedeath »

I was thinking about using tridef (if it works with an eyefinity arrangement) and moving the center of each screen to match the IPD using the bezel compensation.
DO you guys think is a good idea?
Bluedeath
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bluedeath »

While i am waiting for the lcds i made some tests when i fire up eyefinity with tridef i've got 4 images instead of 2 so i think is not reallyworking as it should. Lso i still have to find a way to move the center of the images to match the infiniteye IPD.
Any suggestion?
Turkeyboy111
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Turkeyboy111 »

foisi wrote:Hey guys,

Here is the InfinitEye open source hardware HMD project release v1.0, so people (including Palmer Luckey himself :)) can start to make their own build and modifications. Special thanks to MSat for the name InfinitEye.

I don't know much about licences (especially for hardware projects) but I think something suitable for a project like this, is Creative Commons CC BY-SA (and to be credited by the "BY" part, my real name is Lionel Anton (I'm the author of F-ZERO for TI68k if anyone tries to google my name))

Specifications:

- Horizontal FOV = 180° (calculated)
- Horizontal stereoscopic FOV = 63° (calculated)
- Vertical FOV = (to be determined)
- Weight without tracker and head mount = 412g (measured)
- Weight with head mount = 512g (measured)
- Resolution per eye = 1280x800 spread over 121° horizontally (calculated)
- Bounding box of the headset (without mount) = 310x220x140 mm

The components I used :

- 2 x N070ICG-LD1 + controller board from ebay : 260$
- 4 x Fresnel lenses FRL021 from optolife (size 165x105mm, focal length 120mm, thickness 2mm, groove 0.3mm) : 20$ + shipping cost
- 1 sheet of expanded PVC thickness 2mm from castorama (french hardware store, but I'm sure similar light weight 2mm thick and flexible material can be found elsewhere) 500x750x2 mm : 8.45 eur ~= 11$
- neoprene glue
- headmount from faceshield from castorama : 17 eur ~= 23$

cost ~= 320$

Additional components :

- Zotac mini DisplayPort to dual HDMI from amazon : 69$
- YEI 3 space sensor embedded for head tracking (website): 99$

total cost ~= 500$
Now the plans (Version 1.0) :

(I have no website to host the file so I'm just leaving it attached to this thread for now)

I made the following drawing to compare horizontal FOV between this HMD, the Rift and the other HMD I own: ST1080
HFOV-Comparison.png
Note that in the drawing, I used the 7" display to scale the Rift but with the 90° HFOV 100% overlap which is less likely (I think it will be something like 115-120° HFOV with 80% overlap but we'll see in march :))

build pics of the prototype :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oICGUy2xzNw
IMG_1159.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1174.jpg
IMG_1175.jpg
IMG_1176.jpg
(I can't attach other pictures, 15 files is the maximum)
Next steps :
- paint inside top and bottom parts in black
- glue the small parts to the box (green ones to prepare the LCD rails and then the yellow ones to maintain the box)
- glue the box nose part
- glue the lenses (top and bottom)
- insert the left LCD from the left
- insert the right LCD from the right
- insert the pink parts to maintain the LCDs in place
- glue the box left and right part to close it
- drill the holes to attach the head mount of your choice

Steps that I haven't done yet :
- extend LVDS cables (or tape the controller board to the headset, simpler but heavier)
- add head tracker
- modify VireIO perception drivers to make them compatible with this design
- say goodbye to reality and enjoy VR :)

Feel free to ask any question and post pictures of your builds in the thread :)
Can you repost the plans? they seem to be gone.
Bass
One Eyed Hopeful

LEGO Infiniteye

Post by Bass »

I dunno if anyone is still watching this thread, but here's my recreation of foisi's design, Made with LEGOs :D

The lenses are the same as Foisi's.
Resolution is 3840x1080 downsampled to 2560x800
Total cost was $221.42

The quality is pretty terrible right now. But I'm still getting a feel for how the lenses should be aligned. However, I'm not noticing any spherical aberration of my test images, only chromatic :$
And any actual gaming will have to wait until I can get a proper driver going. Something that "pinches" the inside images in by ~460 pixels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Turkeyboy111
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Turkeyboy111 »

I'm interested, do you still have the original plans? That seem to have been deleted from this thread now that it's a legitimate product. Also, what is the link to the site you bought the lenses and LCD displays.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

LEGOs!! Wow, that's boss.
bugway
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bugway »

Making my own hmd with 2 panels, but i got stuck with centering image with eyeballs.
How to shift screen to place it right forward to each eyeball?

Thanks
Bass
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bass »

bugway wrote:Making my own hmd with 2 panels, but i got stuck with centering image with eyeballs.
How to shift screen to place it right forward to each eyeball?

Thanks

I'm stuck there as well :(
I used Paint.net to manually trim 460 pixels from the insides of my test images. Which worked out alright.

I've dinked around with the Vireio Perception driver, but I haven't spent enough time with it to see if it can support a general "pinching" of the buffer.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/new-vireio-site

EDIT
I should mention that each of my 1280x800 display modules show as a 1920x1080 display to the computer (3840x1080 total). So I cut 460 pixels off of two 1920 images and stitched them together.
Last edited by Bass on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bass
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bass »

Turkeyboy111 wrote:I'm interested, do you still have the original plans? That seem to have been deleted from this thread now that it's a legitimate product. Also, what is the link to the site you bought the lenses and LCD displays.
Sorry, wasn't sure if you were asking me or foisi.

I didn't use anything but the info that foisi left in this thread. So no plans, sorry : (

The angle of the entire thing is about 130°
The lenses were cut 44mm in from the edge.
The nose cutout of the lenses is 120° and start 24mm from the centerline, towards the cut edge.
The screen to front of lens stack distance is kept at 60mm, to match the focal length of the lense stack.
(I went way overboard on most of my cuts, so you should experiment with these measures)

I could also upload a scan of the exact template that I used when cutting the lenses, if it would help.

Here's a list of the products that I bought for this project:
(4x) Optolife FRL021 DIY Projector Lenses - http://optolife.com/diy_projector_lens/FRL021.html
(2x) AIHome 7" 1280x800 display module with driver board - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GA ... ge_o00_s02
DisplayPort to HDMI splitter - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYH ... ge_o00_s01
(2x) Amazon Basics HDMI cable - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00870 ... ge_o00_s00
Amazon Basics DisplayPort cable - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3 ... ge_o00_s00

Not included in the list is the 12V 8A PSU from my 3d printer that I had to rig for the displays (defiantly go for two 12V wall warts or similar if using these displays), and my assortment of LEGO pieces :D

Let me know if you need anything else.
Last edited by Bass on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bass
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bass »

cybereality wrote:LEGOs!! Wow, that's boss.
FMPrime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FMPrime »

You should be able to shift the images by using lenses that are cut off center.
Leonardo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leonardo »

Hello is possible found zip fosi foam ?
Bass
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bass »

FMPrime wrote:You should be able to shift the images by using lenses that are cut off center.
I only cut the lenses on one side, which aligns the optical centers of the fresnels with my eyes.
Is that what you meant by off center?
FMPrime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FMPrime »

Bass wrote: I only cut the lenses on one side, which aligns the optical centers of the fresnels with my eyes.
Yes, moving the optical center of the fresnel lenses will shift the image of the screen in the opposite direction.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

FMPrime wrote:
Bass wrote: I only cut the lenses on one side, which aligns the optical centers of the fresnels with my eyes.
Yes, moving the optical center of the fresnel lenses will shift the image of the screen in the opposite direction.
This doesn't sound right. Moving the optical lens center doesn't move the optical center of the screen. You have to offset render the image so that it aligns with the optical lens center.
FMPrime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FMPrime »

If the screens are fixed in relation to the eyes, moving the Fresnel's optic center is analogous to introducing a thin prism into the optical path.

Software adjustment of the images is good for IPD compensation, which might be easier to use for shifting the images than cutting new fresnels. You'll probably find some IPD compensation code in the drivers you're modifying.
simul8r
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by simul8r »

Bass wrote: I didn't use anything but the info that foisi left in this thread. So no plans, sorry : (

The angle of the entire thing is about 130°
The lenses were cut 44mm in from the edge.
The nose cutout of the lenses is 120° and start 24mm from the centerline, towards the cut edge.
The screen to front of lens stack distance is kept at 60mm, to match the focal length of the lense stack.
(I went way overboard on most of my cuts, so you should experiment with these measures)

I could also upload a scan of the exact template that I used when cutting the lenses, if it would help.

Here's a list of the products that I bought for this project:
(4x) Optolife FRL021 DIY Projector Lenses - http://optolife.com/diy_projector_lens/FRL021.html
(2x) AIHome 7" 1280x800 display module with driver board - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GA ... ge_o00_s02
DisplayPort to HDMI splitter - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYH ... ge_o00_s01
(2x) Amazon Basics HDMI cable - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00870 ... ge_o00_s00
Amazon Basics DisplayPort cable - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3 ... ge_o00_s00

Not included in the list is the 12V 8A PSU from my 3d printer that I had to rig for the displays (defiantly go for two 12V wall warts or similar if using these displays), and my assortment of LEGO pieces :D

Let me know if you need anything else.
Bass, I would be grateful if you could upload a scan of the exact template that you used when cutting the lenses!

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”