Aero3D - Fantastic 3D maps

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Aero3D - Fantastic 3D maps

Post by Namielus »

Remember euclideon, the company that promised unlimited detail in games and so on?
They are back, teaming up with aero3D to provide high quality 3D maps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABdIwKpBLQw&feature=plcp

For the first time I am actually pretty excited about their technology. The first 2 videos from them I have considered vaporware.

The detail in these 3dmaps is good enough that you could have collision detection etc and drive around in them gta style.

I dont even care if its animated, with scenery like that in that scale it would be beyond fantastic. Not to mention flight simulators using this data for cities and something like outerra for terrain.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Aero3D - Fantastic 3D maps

Post by brantlew »

I've been intrigued by Euclideon as well and was curious what they have been up to. However their involvement in this video seems minimal.
Hi there. This video has been created using our generated 3D models and rendered using commercial 3D rendering softwares. We are using Euclideon technology to ingest and interact in real-time with the very large amount of 3D data we acquire. You will see a short sequence of Geoverse in action at 0:17s
So it seems the rendering of the video was done off-line. The "interactive" portion that they are revering to that apparently uses Euclideon is only about 2 seconds long so it's hard to make any conclusions about it one way or another.

Edit: It is interesting however that they have changed their website to convey a more professional/industrial technology rather than a gaming technology. I could wildly speculate that they were not able to solve problems with interactiveness that would have allowed it to work in a game. Or maybe they are just following the money where it leads them?? Still, I thought they had something interesting even if their claims seemed wildly over-enthusiastic. An exploration-type VR game with limited interaction would still look amazing with this type of technology.
Last edited by brantlew on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Aero3D - Fantastic 3D maps

Post by Namielus »

I have sent them an inquiry about what it will take to get access to some content.
At the very least it is promising in my opinion.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”