Argus II: Implant Lets Blind Eyes “See” Braille

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Argus II: Implant Lets Blind Eyes “See” Braille

Post by mahler »

I think this news fits here.
This is not your average HMD, but goes a step further to project directly on the retina

The technology is a modification of a previous device, Argus II developed by Second Sight, which has been implanted on 50 patients, many of whom can now see colors, shapes, and movements. The complicated device uses a camera attached to a pair of glasses, a small processor to convert the signal of the camera into electrical stimulation, and a microchip with electrodes attached directly to the person's retina.
Implant Lets Blind Eyes “See” Braille
http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/13 ... raille.htm

Here is the original article:
Reading visual braille with a retinal prosthesis
http://www.frontiersin.org/neuroprosthe ... 8/abstract
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Argus II: Implant Lets Blind Eyes “See” Braille

Post by cybereality »

Quite amazing.
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

The best part is that it's only a matter of time until resolution gets better and blind people will actually see again.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Omarzuqo wrote:The best part is that it's only a matter of time until resolution gets better and blind people will actually see again.
Ironically, probably the first people to experience true sensory injected VR might be the blind. Who would want to experiment with perfectly functioning eyes?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

brantlew wrote:Ironically, probably the first people to experience true sensory injected VR might be the blind. Who would want to experiment with perfectly functioning eyes?
Its true. I mean, I will get the implants before the average Joe does. But I don't want to be a guinea-pig beta tester for that thing.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”