Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by Alkapwn »

Emerson wrote:I'm curious--does anyone has solid data on the optics distortion on the Rift yet?
I'm working on a DirectX proxy dll that ought to be able to do the optics correction, but I need to jury-rig some sort of test mapping until I can get a real device.
My best guess would be John Carmack, as I believe he's the one that figured out the distortion to be able to output the inverse of that directly from the game. My assumption is that he'll probably release that info as he wants the developers to have all the tools needed to push this thing to the next level.

Sidenote: I saw your Mirror's edge thing and OMFG!! how the hell did I not think of that as the first game to try the Rift out on, especially given how much I love that game. And the fact that you can remove all hints is like a dream come true for me in a video game. Too many video games these days baby us. Can't wait to get my Rift and try Mirror's edge on it once you finalize your code for it.

I'm assuming all of you pro developers are working on your versions of how to make this work best with each game and engine and whatnot. What about maybe even on the Rift site or something, if you make like a developers code base section. Then everyone can work on figuring stuff out together which might make the process easier. Something like a list of games that have been configured for use with the Rift. And then which code you need for each game, until we get a multi-game pack or something. And for SURE there should be a donate section where you could donate to the developers responsible for making each "Rift Certified Title". I'm sure nobody here would hesitate to chip in some coin for all the hard work you guys are all doing.
andrewe1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by andrewe1 »

Mel wrote:
So Palmer: Are you and John Carmack running a scam here?

I really hope that is sarcasm. You seriously think someone like Carmack would help run a scam like this? Do you even know who John Carmack is? It's people like you that make these sorts of projects problematic. It's a hobby project, you shouldn't even expect it in 3 months, delays always happen.

Palmer needs trust and patience, something you can't seem to have. So I suggest you kindly ask for a refund and just wait for the kickstarter or till there's a more established distribution channel.
Last edited by andrewe1 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is exactly why I was pushing for using Kickstarter (in the other thread) rather than going through PayPal. They will minimize customer service headaches.
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Mel »

andrewe1 wrote:
Mel wrote:

I really hope that is sarcasm. You seriously think someone like Carmack would help run a scam like this? It's people like you that make these sorts of projects problematic. It's a hobby project, you shouldn't even expect it in 3 months, delays always happen.

Palmer needs trust and patience, something you can't seem to have. So I suggest you kindly ask for a refund and just wait for the kickstarter or till there's a more established distribution channel.
Let me just say how ridiculous it is of you to question whether or not it was sarcasm, then to outright accuse me of awfulness with an "It's people like you..." diatribe. Of course it was sarcasm. Do you honestly believe that I think multi-trillionaire John Carmack would run an online scam? Really?

I was more posting it to see if anyone else received the PayPal phone call. I shall now revert back to lurker mode.
andrewe1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by andrewe1 »

Mel wrote:
andrewe1 wrote:
Mel wrote:

I really hope that is sarcasm. You seriously think someone like Carmack would help run a scam like this? It's people like you that make these sorts of projects problematic. It's a hobby project, you shouldn't even expect it in 3 months, delays always happen.

Let me just say how ridiculous it is of you to question whether or not it was sarcasm, then to outright accuse me of awfulness with an "It's people like you..." diatribe. Of course it was sarcasm. Do you honestly believe that I think multi-trillionaire John Carmack would run an online scam? Really?

I was more posting it to see if anyone else received the PayPal phone call. I shall now revert back to lurker mode.
I'm sorry, but I didn't catch it since I know paypal usually does things like this. I thought of you doubting it because I followed very closely the openpandora project which started somewhat like this. A mini computer built by hobbyists and everything went wrong, from paypal freezing their funds to people getting impatient and thinking it was a scam and demanding their money back, ultimately harming them even more.

I apologize, but next time, try to make it a little more obvious.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Haha.

'Be careful Mel. You're treading on our dreams'

Equilibrium is a movie that really needs much more recognition.
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

WiredEarp wrote:Haha.

'Be careful Mel. You're treading on our dreams'

Equilibrium is a movie that really needs much more recognition.
Second this!

(just lurking to find the latest on the Rift)
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

andrewe1 wrote:I followed very closely the openpandora project which started somewhat like this. A mini computer built by hobbyists and everything went wrong, from paypal freezing their funds to people getting impatient and thinking it was a scam and demanding their money back, ultimately harming them even more.
Hey, me too! I was lucky, I managed to get an early unit by accepting one that had a malfunctioning analog stick. Was just a cold joint, easily fixed. Thank goodness I did that, because even today, several years later, there are still first-batch pre-orders that have not been fulfilled.

Some news!

Good news, bad news, and good news:

Good news: I got a call from Paypal as well, they were very friendly, I explained what was going on, said that the buyers knew it was a product that is not already in existence. I have to re-verify my ID, bank account info, address, and all that to prove my account has not been hijacked, and then it should all be good. I know Paypal will sometimes screw people over pretty badly, but I am hoping that my 7 year old business account with nearly $100,000 in total transactions will get halfway decent treatment.

Bad news: The Kickstarter is approved, but I am going to have to delay it for two weeks.

Good news: That is not actually bad news at all. A lot has changed in the past week, and while I cannot go into details just yet, I can promise that nobody here would possibly be upset with it. Some really big names in the game industry are getting involved with this, not only the initial kit, but future development as well. Thanks to those names, the Kickstarter can be 30 days instead of 60, meaning that the Kickstarter will end and start shipping units even earlier than before! :) More info as soon as I can give it.

Thanks for holding on with me!
Samiad
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Samiad »

Exciting stuff!
andrewe1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by andrewe1 »

Dammit! I wanted to just pledge on kickstarter and then completely forget about it till it shows up in my front door.

Oh well, If you say the industry is getting more interest, then it's a win win for everyone.

I hope one of the other big names is someone that starts with G and ends with abe Newell :D
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Great to hear Palmer! That's so friggin awesome that all your hard work is getting crazy noticed now!! Between you rockin a super solid HMD kit, and the crazy awesome programmers here on this forum we should have multiple game support in NO time!

Again, we should think about some sort of code base where we can donate to all the people making all our favorite games compatible with the Rift!

We wait with bated breath to hear the good news! :D
nixarn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nixarn »

Awesome! Super excited about new news what ever it is =) hype++
Chriky

Post by Chriky »

Some really big names in the game industry are getting involved with this, not only the initial kit, but future development as well.
Alright seeing as we've been delayed let the pointless, baseless rumours start now! I'm calling it - Valve.

But seriously, congratulations Palmer there's nothing better than a honest geek with a lifelong passion finally getting that big break :D :D
AntonieB
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AntonieB »

Congratz Palmer :)

I just hope the 'hacker / DIY perspective' won't get lost with all kind of 'commercial / big party' interesests.

Don't take me wrong I am still very excited about this project and can't wait for more information / the kickstarter to commence so we can get this thing going :)

Keep up the good work!
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

This is sounding better all the time, does this mean we get an even better kit? I know, no details yet, just very excited about this. Two weeks is going to feel like forever.
Mark2036
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mark2036 »

Chriky wrote:
Some really big names in the game industry are getting involved with this, not only the initial kit, but future development as well.
Alright seeing as we've been delayed let the pointless, baseless rumours start now! I'm calling it - Valve.

But seriously, congratulations Palmer there's nothing better than a honest geek with a lifelong passion finally getting that big break :D :D

Damn I hope it is Valve... If they end up developing Portal 3 with time travel game play AND VR support and I may just have a nerdgasm..... :woot

Also, next gen sony and microsoft is coming very soon.... lets hope the buzz created by the Rift leads to console based VR support too :D
Vaughanabe13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vaughanabe13 »

Wouldn't it be great if the new announcement is an upgrade to 1080p displays? LOL I can dream. :lol:
ido
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ido »

Palmer! Great to see this coming along!

I am still very much into the VR hobby and would love to help out any way possible. Very interested in trying out this design.

Good luck to you.

Edit: Wowzers, just finished catching up with this thread... I am glad I decided to check up on this when I did. Kickstarter only a couple weeks away? Very nice. I sent you a PM Palmer.
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Thanks for the update Palmer, sounds really exciting. 8-)

No probs on the delay, good things come to those who wait...

PS - found a little bit on the FOV2GO and RIFT here:

http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/3d-news-2/the- ... ality/8736
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

PalmerTech wrote:Bad news: The Kickstarter is approved, but I am going to have to delay it for two weeks
Is that 2 weeks from the original date or 2 weeks from today?
What is your preference Paypal or Kickstarter?

One thing to keep in mind when doing time estimates about Kickstarter is that Amazon will hold the funds for 14 days after the campaign is ended.
Vaughanabe13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vaughanabe13 »

Nick3DvB wrote:Thanks for the update Palmer, sounds really exciting. 8-)

According to that article, "The Kickstarter campaign started on June 14th." :o
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Yeh, not sure when it was actually written, most of their stuff is syndicated, the guts of it came from here I think:

http://interactive.usc.edu/2012/06/10/p ... -holodeck/

http://www.jamesiliff.com
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

PalmerTech wrote:Some really big names in the game industry are getting involved with this, not only the initial kit, but future development as well.
Slightly disappointed to hear of the momentary delay, but mostly really excited to see the interest and where it could lead! :)

Aside from the common speculation of Source and Skyrim support, I'd kinda love it if Turn 10 jumped on this. It's a bit of a pipe dream because of the need to certify/license input devices on the XBox, but hey, a guy can dream. I can guarantee that at least three of my friends would jump on the Rift bandwagon with Forza support, though. Then again, two of them probably will anyway if iRacing supports it reasonably well.

Looking forward to seeing the industry cameos in your revised Kickstarter video. ;) If you're happy with the hardware, though, don't let pending deals or whatever delay you too long. Insert picture here of Fry demanding that you take my money.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

ok, I'll throw out my wild speculation (wish) as well. Tridef/nVidia support please.
PatrickReddeck
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PatrickReddeck »

PalmerTech wrote:Good news: That is not actually bad news at all. A lot has changed in the past week, and while I cannot go into details just yet, I can promise that nobody here would possibly be upset with it. Some really big names in the game industry are getting involved with this, not only the initial kit, but future development as well. Thanks to those names, the Kickstarter can be 30 days instead of 60, meaning that the Kickstarter will end and start shipping units even earlier than before! :) More info as soon as I can give it.

Thanks for holding on with me!
Sounds like great news for your business Palmer. I have a couple of questions as they pertain to us hobbyist, particularity those working on something specifically for Rift.

Are you increasing the number of orders you are taking?
What sort of effect will this have on the hobbyist community?

I was under the impression that the early adopters here were developers and not just gamers. Is that correct or is John Carmack one of just a handful developers?
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

Mark2036 wrote:
Chriky wrote:

Damn I hope it is Valve... If they end up developing Portal 3 with time travel game play AND VR support and I may just have a nerdgasm..... :woot

Also, next gen sony and microsoft is coming very soon.... lets hope the buzz created by the Rift leads to console based VR support too :D
I think we're likely way too far toward the next generation of consoles to have them change course to make a console that has considerations specifically for VR. It's possible that some post-launch tweaks will make them compatible, but first we need some solid standards for the type of 3D that will be use, the resolution to be supported, and the framerate expected. Hopefully this project gets attention and the industry will finally solve some of these hurdles.
German

Post by German »

benz145 wrote: I think we're likely way too far toward the next generation of consoles to have them change course to make a console that has considerations specifically for VR. It's possible that some post-launch tweaks will make them compatible, but first we need some solid standards for the type of 3D that will be use, the resolution to be supported, and the framerate expected. Hopefully this project gets attention and the industry will finally solve some of these hurdles.
It's not quite the same thing as Oculus Rift but an article about a recently leaked document from Microsoft showed, among other things, some kind of augmented reality glasses called 'Kinect Glasses' as an accessory to the successor to the 360. The document was from August 2010, so I am sure things have changed since then. Just shows that the big players are thinking about this kind of stuff.
TheRealistWord
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheRealistWord »

Woo! Congrats Palmer! Delayed Kickstarter, but in the long run, we'll get our Rifts sooner than planned :D I'm glad that the word's spreading and interesting is extending far, far outside this forum, so very curious what other names in the industry have taken an interest in this.
I just hope the 'hacker / DIY perspective' won't get lost with all kind of 'commercial / big party' interesests.
That's initially what I feared, but I'm guessing that strong commercial support will give the Rift a chance to get even more exposure and fall in the hands of more than just the hobbyists and devs. Maybe start carving into the casual gamer's market eventually? :D Seems like VR is one of the next logical steps with consoles, after their hand at tablet and motion accessories and boosting the processors/graphics every gen.
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

Nick3DvB wrote:Thanks for the update Palmer, sounds really exciting. 8-)

I love this bit
"Carmack has agreed to ship a fresh copy of the new Doom 3: BFG Edition along with every RIFT that Palmer gets fundraising for."

So we all get Doom 3 BFG Edition, whoot!! Or is that just over zealous journalism? Or is Palmer going to limit the number he gets funding for .. Noooo! take my money now. :P
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

If I remember correctly Carmack mentioned he was (at least considering, if not planning to) buy 100 copies of Doom3 to go with the Rift kickstarter. If there are more than 100 units produced then I don't think we can expect that every unit will come with the game, it will probably be a kickstarter option for those that get in quick.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is sounding really promising, and I'll be watching this space closely.

My guess: SEGA wants to get back into the console market and will finally release their ill-fated VR headset from the 1990's.

DragonM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DragonM »

Vaughanabe13 wrote:Wouldn't it be great if the new announcement is an upgrade to 1080p displays? LOL I can dream. :lol:
Sadly, that's unlikely, given his phrasing. If that were the case, he'd have said "big names in the electronics industry."

Unfortunately, it takes a lot more buzz than just MTBS3D to get the attention of Samsung. A successful Kickstarter is a good first step towards gaining that attention, but even that is only a first step on a rather long road. The weight the big names in games can lend to the project are another step (witness the effect of the considerable weight of Mr. Carmack), but it takes a lot of steps before fabs that budget production runs in the millions pay attention to what you're doing.

But while we're dreaming, consider the end of that shining road: the attention of both Samsung and, say, Blizzard. Or Turbine. Blizzard would very much like to regain the 2 million World of Warcraft users they've lost over the past several years. Azeroth in immersive 3D? Or Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online. Middle Earth in immersive 3D? Say what you will about the game itself, LOTRO is already an incredible artistic achievement. Looking at it "from the inside" would be spectacular. Native Rift support from either or both would catapult the Rift from truly-nerdy-omg-you-look-like-such-a-dork-with-those-on to everybody-plays-with-a-Rift-how-can-you-not? overnight.

DM
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I'm hoping that the large amount of interest will mean that the economies of scale will tip in our favor, so that perhaps we can get a higher resolution screen :).
The really good thing about all of this is it shows there is significant interest in high FOV displays, which is good as most of the established VR companies seem to just not get the importance of high FOV.
Imagine if ST1080 had a 90 degree fov model, they'd sell HEAPS of them.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

Maybe we will see 240 hz and/or OLED option :)
nyohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nyohan »

hmmm The Pre-Kickstarter page doesn't let you pre-order anymore.
space123321

Post by space123321 »

I wanted to pre-order as well however due to the fact that I am not in the US (in Canada) I believe Palmer noted to wait for kickstarter... Palmer - anything that can be done for none US MTBS3D users would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
andrewe1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by andrewe1 »

space123321 wrote:I wanted to pre-order as well however due to the fact that I am not in the US (in Canada) I believe Palmer noted to wait for kickstarter... Palmer - anything that can be done for none US MTBS3D users would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Wait for the kickstarter ;)
Tinus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tinus »

I am way too excited for this, can't wait to start hacking. :)
MalDuffin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MalDuffin »

One of these bad boys will be heading for Ireland as soon as the Kickstarter pops up! I worked with Virtuality headsets at IBM ( when they started manufacturing them many moons ago ), but haven't been aware of any major jumps in technology until I read some of the Carmack articles. His credibility def has swung my support for this.

Hopefully if Murphy tries to get involved and tinker, he'll stay on native soil, mess with mine and will leave the rest of your headsets bug-free :)
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

I didn't know IBM made HMDs, their products are not on this ancient list
http://stereo3d.com/hmd.htm#chart

Return to “Oculus VR”