Magic Leap -- what does the future hold?

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Magic Leap -- what does the future hold?

Post by geekmaster »

Hey, Y'all -- I'M BACK! :-)

If you look at the PEOPLE behind the Magic Leap device, especially WHAT they were working on before they went dark (use the "Wayback Machine" at archive.org), virtually EVERYTHING we use for VR / AR / Mixed Really with lenses or display panels of any kind will be obsolete (IMHO) as soon as their product gets into the hands of consumers. Let's just say that it blows me away completely how SIMPLE their technology is -- we will be able to make super cheap "no lens and no display panel" kits! Unless they disappoint me by NOT doing what I have extrapolated from their combined early works before they began Magic Leap.

Just THINK of the implications of a single fiber-optic fiber positioned in your blind spot, electroacoustically driven in a spiral raster, with the other end of the fibers (one per eye) going to a small belt pack that a color-modulated laser (or LED) drives at 4K pixels per eye, painted directly onto each retina. Of course, I am only guessing based on my research of prior work (that has mostly gone dark) of the Magic Leap employees. But hey, it only makes sense, right? And how long until we can buy cheap $20 Chinese clones?

The future of VR and AR and Mixed Reality look AMAZING to me!

Though technically, a challenge will be to implement a version of their "Photonic Lightfield chip" to vibrate the fibers and modulate the light sources at the full 4K resolution, on a DIY hobbiest budget. We may have to begin with lower resolutions and work up from there, but still, fun times ahead for sure!

P.S. Now I REALLY want to build a DIY Magic Leap (at least the version I have imagined above) from cheap off-the-shelf parts. No lenses. No display panels. Just pure and simple technomagic. Yummy! And that vibrating fiber tech can be used in high-resolution video cameras too!
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Magic Leap -- what does the future hold?

Post by Haloar »

I've seen those same papers, but I believe they are attempting the manufacture of a monolithic lightfield microdisplay (like Ostendo) using that huge funding round.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Haloar wrote:I've seen those same papers, but I believe they are attempting the manufacture of a monolithic lightfield microdisplay (like Ostendo) using that huge funding round.
That will be very interesting technology too, but I think the original vibrating fiber research has a lot of potential for DIY goodness. I think the old tech would still be good for AR if they could keep most of the hardware in the foveal blind spot, considering that it can be designed so compact in form. I have not seen the lightfield microdisplay info. There are multiple lightfield techs with different properties, and it seems to me that the modulated vibrating fiber could qualify as one of them (simulated pinhole grid array a/k/a "pinlight"). Funding seems to change everything (good and bad), doesn't it?
FMPrime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FMPrime »

The vibrating fiber produces a spiral raster right?

You can make similar patterns with spinning risley prisms. Chromatic aberration correction might be a challenge though.
https://youtu.be/iHWKKFZFmHU?t=18s

I guess you could use a 3 or 4 prism stack to get lightfield conditions.
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Haloar »

I guess they will go for the plenoptic/ integral method like Ostendo and nVidia. Does eye-tracking allow for more of the pixels to be used in less views? i.e. if there are for instance 64 microlenses can for instance a subsample containing only 8 views be used, with single views across multiple microlenses?

Edit: I also base this on the similarity between some magic Leap patent drawings and the freeform optics and integral display proposed by Hong Hua of Arizona University: https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstra ... 2-11-13484

(link courtesy of user FMPrime)

What I find surprising is that the freeform wedges can accommodate the required foci so easily.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Haloar wrote:... integral display proposed by Hong Hua of Arizona University: https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstra ... 2-11-13484
Full PDF:
https://www.osapublishing.org/DirectPDF ... -13484.pdf
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

BIggest Change in perceptive Technologies since the Invention of Radio,television...............
Godlike Technology.
Emmigrants that left their families can now be together again. That's crazy.....
Magic Leaps Technology is incredibly valuable. 2 billions is a joke, their estimated value should be 2 Trillion at least.
IF their techn is what it is supposed to be.
Peterk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Peterk »

I wish there was more information about what they're really making. Seems like it's hard to get anything concrete.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

nothing specific about the Hardware in detail but say they exactly what it can do and how they achieve it.
it can reproduce light fields like that we encounter when we have our eyes opened. Objects appear like they are solid, like they
do really exist. Rony abovitz calls this 100% neurologically true, but without the atoms.... that is another company..... XD
he referrs to God and the big bang. So no force Feedback.
They are now prototyping their lightfield chip in a semiconductor fab. Some sort of refractive elements that bounce light all around on a chip apparentely in order to create their desired digital lightfield.
They can create black colour in our brain with light. perception failure Thing...... a trick.... their artists have discovered ......
I think there is really enough info about them.....
Just wait for the DEVkit next year.......... The videos on YouTube that'll show deeply impressed humans will be like oculus rift x 1000.
That will be enough to gather the whole Attention of the world.
One year after that we can buy the device.... hopefully.........

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”