Is 3D conversion the same as Blu-ray 3D? Please help..

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
primalinstinkt
One Eyed Hopeful

Is 3D conversion the same as Blu-ray 3D? Please help..

Post by primalinstinkt »

Hi guys, you know how the movie Avatar is actually made with 3d in mind? Say I buy the non-3D DVD version and then convert it into a side-by-side 3D file using my computer and then play it back through a stereoscopic player, would it be exactly the same as buying the Bluray3D Version and playing is back side-by-side in a 3dbluray player?

Is there a difference between the non-3d DVD version and the bluray3D Verison when they are both output on side-by-side using either method???

Thanks.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Is 3D conversion the same as Blu-ray 3D? Please help..

Post by cybereality »

Yes, there is a huge difference. The Blu-Ray would be true stereo (at least in the case of Avatar, which was filmed with dual camera rigs). If you take a DVD and convert it, it will look like crap. The 3D will be fake, and the resolution and overall quality will be poor on top of that.
primalinstinkt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by primalinstinkt »

Thanks for your response, Cyber. I see you have understood my question, which brings to me my conclusive question which I could not work out how to ask....now it may make more sense.

You know how you said Avatar was shot with special dual camera? Isn't the DVD version of Avatar still shot through the same dual camera? So if I just buy the DVD version and convert it to side-by-side, won't it still be the same as buying the side-by-side version, since they are both the same movie specially made for 3D and shot with a dual camera? or is the DVD version not dual camera?

Reason is, my computer only has a DVD drive :(
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

No, the DVD just shows one camera from the film (for example, just the left eye). It's not 3D.

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”