Pacific Rim- IMAX 3D

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Pacific Rim- IMAX 3D

Post by Chiefwinston »

I grew up just awe struck as a boy watching Godzilla, Rodan, and Gamera movies. These are classic Japanese movies. As I grew older I realized the bad acting and the over acting Godzilla and mosters. For me I could see elements of these old japanese monster movies in Pacific Rim. The worst offense that I seen was in the acting and dialoge scenes. Some of the acting is exagerated a little to much and comes a cross a bit campy. But for me I believe the director intended for this style because it was common in these old japanese classics. But the monsters and robots look and act great. With no hint of a man in a rubber suit like the japanese classics. The CGI is really impressive. Now to the 3D, I believe this is a 3D conversion. And It looks to me like the directors are slowly but surely understanding the technical aspects of 3D much better. There are areas that it looks great and it makes you go wow. And then there are some dark scenes that the 3D gets lost a bit. But over all not the best conversion I've seen. But it was done competently and added to my immersion. So I would say grab a bucket of $12 dollar popcorn and pick the biggest IMAX 3D screen you can get to. My theater had a superb thundering sound system for all the great battles and explosion- you wont regret the superb sound ,also. Now on to the score card.

Chief's score card:
Story: 8.0
Acting: 6.5/7.0
Special effects: 8.5
music: 8.5
Sound effects: 10
3D: 7.25/7.5 (pretty darn good at some of the best times)

Final Score: 8.25

For me I just kicked back and really enjoyed the show. With modern visuals, huge screen, great sound, and 3D to top it off this gets the go see it recommendation from me. And I most certainly will buy the 3D blu-ray in the future. Agian big robots and big monsters need the largest screen you can find. I'm actually thinking of seeing it a second time with 3D and Dbox seating.
Side note: My dad gave it a 6.5

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Ne0macer
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Pacific Rim- IMAX 3D

Post by Ne0macer »

Nice basic, down to the point review.. I personally can't wait to go see this movie! Too bad our local IMAX theater closed down like 2 years ago. (Bummer) So I guess I'll just have to stick to what I've got and go check it out at a regular cinema.. Hope it will still be as good! :D
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

Thanks for the review Chief :)
I've booked to see it on Sunday in 2D as I'd heard mixed things about the 3D anyway. If I love it enough I'll probably see it again in 3D anyway 8-)
Ne0macer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ne0macer »

Why would you rather watch a movie like this in 2D instead of 3D? High budget movies like this usually always look much better in 3D
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Hey guys, Most of this film is more than likely actually real 3D with two distinct camera view points. It wouldn't make any sense to convert CGI scenes to fake 3D. The CGI guys will have all the data and the ability to make those scenes true 3D. And everything else would use a fake 3D technique. I say find your biggest screen around , put the 3D glasses on, and let the movie magic take you away.

cheers
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Ne0macer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ne0macer »

Kind of a problem for those people who don't have the budget for a big proper 3D setup don't you think?
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thats only my recommendation for those with access. If you have a regular 3D screen, by all means see it. If you don't have 3D theaters available. I say still go see it. I'm only suggesting what I think will give the best viewing for everyone. The filming is done quite well and really shows off the imense size of the robots and monsters. Big monsters and robots coming out of the screen is pretty cool to me though. 8-)
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Ne0macer wrote:Why would you rather watch a movie like this in 2D instead of 3D? High budget movies like this usually always look much better in 3D
Maybe because it's been post converted to 3D and was clearly not made with 3D in mind.

Guillermo Del Toro Agrees (Reluctantly?) To Convert 'Pacific Rim' Into 3D.
The film was shot in 2D, and del Toro told Collider during Comic-Con that he wanted the film that way, fighting post-conversion because of the scale of the creatures and robots involved. But it looks like Warners have forced his hand, as the trade have announced that the film will be converted into three dimensions, seemingly regardless of Del Toro's wishes.

It's clear that it's not the director's preferred version, however, so we'd suggest that you, like us, check out "Pacific Rim" in glorious 2D when it opens on July 12th, 2013.
He apparently changed his mind later but it isn't clear if it's because of the studio pressure or if he's really sincere. Anyway it hasn't been created for 3D, even though the CGI seem to be using the native 3D models.

Guillermo del Toro Discusses ‘Pacific Rim’ 3D Conversion & ‘The Strain’ TV Series
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

Ne0macer wrote:Why would you rather watch a movie like this in 2D instead of 3D? High budget movies like this usually always look much better in 3D
I want to really enjoy the movie first time out. If I don't enjoy it, I want that to be because the movie is bad and not because the 3D spoiled it for me :) If I enjoy it enough..and it seems I probably will, then I'm happy to go again and see it in 3D :)
Ne0macer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ne0macer »

It's a shame that movies like this aren't made to be 3D from the beginning. The quality of the CGI content would have made it worthwhile.. But as mentioned, it would be quite bothersome to have such amazing 3D visuals during the CGI scenes, but when it comes down to the regular scenes the 3D effect would look bland and kind of "wasted".
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

This is just my guestimate. This film is 75% native 3D and 25% converted. And the 25 % thats converted is competantly done. The 3D added to the show for me. But 3D is one of those fickle things in life. Some like it, others hate it. This is a 3D site, so I'm reflecting what I saw and whether or not I liked it. For playing 3D games and watching 3D films, I've been active with it since '96. There is a whole lot of 3D crap out there. And then theres alot of pretty good 3D out for viewing, and on rare occasions there's 5hit that will blow you away. This film is in the middle catagory.

Peace
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

A bunch of us at work went to see this in 3D. I liked it a lot.

Although its supposed to be a conversion, I think a lot of the CG effects were rendered in 3D. So it was still worth seeing in 3D.

The movie won't be winning any Oscars for the acting, but the action scenes were great and the movie was fun overall.
Ne0macer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ne0macer »

From the things you guys say, I want to go watch this movie so badly just to experience the 3D effects! :mrgreen:
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I went and saw this movie on the weekend and loved it! The 3D to me was very impressive and really showed that GDT actually understands depth and creating a true sense of immersion.
The only thing that bothered me was the 'mad scientists', who's performances were so campy that they didn't even fit with the rest of the over the top, over-acted parts of the movie. I'm guessing those who like the torchwood series will get a kick out of it, but that's not my kind of thing.

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”