POTC4...poor,poor,poor!!

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

POTC4...poor,poor,poor!!

Post by Gae43 »

When I watch the LG 3D demo and other well produced 3D shorts and clips on YT3D I get excited about the possibilities of the use of 3D in movies. Unfortunately, all too often that excitement is short lived after viewing several movies where the use of 3D is very poor. For this reason, I won't rush into buying any new 3D movie until I have rented it first and taken a look at the 3D first hand. There seems to be a disturbing trend in new 3D movies to keep the parallax low and thus totally destroy the kind of sense of depth in 3D that gives you the wow factor. Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is one such film. At hardly any point in the movie did I go "wow" or feel like I could step into a scene because it looked so deep. Apart from a couple of moments, on the whole the 3D was flat and lifeless. There's really no point in donning the glasses and paying extra for this 3D Lite. Give us full on 3D before you kill it all together. I know there are health risk regarding 3D for younger children, but POTC4 is a PG and so it should be the parent's choice. Also, there is always the 2D version instead. So far, apart from some of the animations which have been great, most of the live action 3D movies that I've seen have suffered from 3D Lite and are hardly worth the effort. The one exception for me has been Sanctum...the 3D was excellent in that.
When I go to see a 3D movie then, I expect to see Viewmaster type 3D...3D that makes me go "wow" and feel as though those objects are right in front of my eyes, have a depth and solidity as though I could walk right into the world of the film. So far, a lot of new 3D movies have failed to give me that feeling. I'll stick to renting for now. :|

Gae43
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: POTC4...poor,poor,poor!!

Post by Synexious »

I thought the trailer I saw in theaters looked great.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well I haven't seen this yet, but the trailer looked decent. That part where the sword goes through the door had some nice pop-out.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

The trailer played the few good 3D scenes that there were, but within the overall movie, the parallax was very low IMO. An example...near the end they are walking along a beach. At no point did I get a feeling of a distant horizon that stretched far away. It just looked 2D with a bit of depth...very shallow. You can tell just by taking your glasses off and looking at the separation of each side. It was small. To give a rough idea, in the background images, it looked like a couple of millimetres (sometimes a bit more) rather than a wider 1 cm separation (in comparison to the above) that gives a good 3D effect. I'll try and find some examples online although you all know what I mean. I'm tempted to say, watch the movie and you will see what I mean, but then its not a very good movie for 3D IMO so I don't want to recommend it. With regards the sword, I believe it was added on in post production. Just look at Johnny Depp in that scene..he is pretty flat. The only thing that looks 3D is the sword. :roll:

Cybereality...you recently posted some 3D clips of a Batman game. The separation in that was really good, maybe slightly extreme, but at least it looked great. I'm sorry, but I expect that kind of 3D in all movies too. If people get headaches and can't handle it then go and see the 2D version instead. Either way, the studios win. Either give us a proper 3D movie along with the 2D option or don't bother at all. This weak, timid presentation of 3D, mainly for live action movies, is killing people's interest in it. As I keep saying, who want's to wear glasses and pay extra just to see characters and objects with a bit of roundness to it? Make us feel like we can walk into the scene....give us great 3D, for every single scene.

Here is a possible issue though. It may be that 3D looks quite good to people who are new to it but to 3D afficionados like ourselves it looks week. Perhaps we have become desensitized to 3D and require it to be more and more extreme? On the other hand, apart from Sanctum and the live footage in Avatar ( some of the animation I found to be flat) nothing is yet to compare to the 3D found in House of Wax or Taza, Son of Cochice etc. In the latter, when you are out on the prairie, you really feel like there are some vast horizons around you. If I don't get agorophobic while viewing outdoor desert scenes in 3D...then the 3D has failed!! :mrgreen:

Gae43
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Great 3D...where the trees have a solidity and the horizon stretches into the distance....

Poor 3D with little depth.....

Just compare the separation in both. There's hardly any in POTC 4.

I guess a compromise between the two would be needed for mainstream movies but personally I'd prefer it to be closer to the forest 3D. There's no doubt this is 3D and you feel as though you could walk into the scene and explore the trail yourself. That's the nature of 3D when it is truly immersive...none of this guessing if each scene is in 3D or not. A lot of complaints I read from 3D haters is that they are taken out of the movie because they find themselves looking for the 3D in each scene. There's a reason. If the 3D is poor and has a low separation, then of course you will start analyzing it along the lines of "Is that 3D or 2D?". If a whole movie was shot like the 3D forest above, there would be no question about what looked 3D and what didn't. Instead you could just relax and totally immerse yourself for an adventure in a 3D world that would almost make you feel a part of the movie yourself. Am I asking too much when I expect 3D movies to give me that experience?

Gae43
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

I want 3D movies to look like this......

and this.....

and have Sci-Fi or Horror chase scenes in this kind of 3D environment....

Anyway...you get the idea!! :mrgreen:

Gae43
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, those are some great examples of what 3D should (and could) look like. Too bad movie studios want to give us watered down 2.5D nonsense.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I can't agree more myself. Let's keep 3d to gaming until it's possible in real time to change 3d-depth in movies. In my imagination it should be a lot easier to form an algorithm that changes the depth in an already existing 3d-movie (already occlouded zones can be used and stretched like the rest of the image) than adding depth to a 2d-video.
Imo cg-animated clips usually looks best of all movies, second true stereocaptures and third well done conversions.
Just an offtopic note: Have anyone noticed that converted movies often looks pretty decent the first part and later the 3d is just pancaked onto it? Like the budget ran out or something... :lol:
I still like the movie since i'm a fan of all the potc's. However, sequels are sequels. Nothing beats the first ones.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

I'm so miffed about this that I've decided to make a stand and do something about it. With that in mind, I've created this blog.....

http://3dperfection.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm labeling new movies that are converted in Post production as 2.5D on my blog and I won't be renting or buying any of these fake 3D versions in protest to what I see as lazy film making. Of course, a conversion of an old movie is a different thing as this is the only way to see it at all with any sense of depth.

Gae43
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You know about this site, right:
http://realorfake3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

cybereality wrote:You know about this site, right:
http://realorfake3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got it in my links on the blog Cybereality. My blog is slightly different to that one though obviously. I'm more concerned with differentiating between good and bad 3D content more than pointing out all future conversions. :)

http://3dperfection.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gae43

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”