Hugo (3D)

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Hugo (3D)

Post by Chiefwinston »

A Martin Scorseses picture. Here we have a master of cinema at work, and it shows. The camera work and use of 3D is superb. The artistry, pacing, acting and writing are all superb. And so I will get right to the 3D. It is not a conversion. By gaming standards it is on the weak side. The 3D was bright and clear and helped with immersion into this period movie. This movie has clearly been shot by someone who "gets" 3D.

Chief's score card:
Story: 9
Acting: 9
Special effects: 9.5
3D: 7.5/7.9 (note: extremely good use of 3D.)
Family worthy movie: yes
Final score: 6.5

Why a low final score chief? Well, I really found the movie to be quite boring to me, as in a real snoozer. Its not really my kinda movie. But it is as I stated a masterfully crafted film.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Hugo (3D)

Post by cybereality »

I thought this movie was really well done actually. Yes, its a little slow but if you go into it with the right expectations its OK. Certainly its no Michael Bay blockbuster, but it doesn't have to be. The 3D was tastefully done, mostly mild but there were a few extreme shots. Some of the ones that were really cool were in the clock tower looking up at the staircase, and inside the gears and stuff. And there was one shot at the end was was almost uncomfortable to watch. So they definitely pushed it at parts. Overall I thought it was enjoyable. But, to be honest, I think it was worthwhile just to see the 3D trailers they had. There were some gems like Star Wars Ep1, and Titanic.
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Hugo (3D)

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

I'd say you might have to be a film student or like me, a hobbyist researcher of film and inventions, to enjoy this movie to its fullest.
Most people probably don't care about the subject matter, but since I was familiar with it, I was quite happy with this movie and especially glad to see those classic clips converted to 3D in fine fashion!
However, I must disagree with the promotion of the urban legend about the train clip frightening viewers, I'm quite sure the Wikipedia page on the subject is correct in that it was actually the stereoscopic 3d version that surprised the film goers! :3D
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”