GRAVITY- Freaking AWESOME!!!

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

GRAVITY- Freaking AWESOME!!!

Post by Dilip »

Just seen gravity in first day first show. I was not kind of following this movie just seen adv. in news papers few days back, did some googling and today entered movie hall with not so high expectations as kind of easy to asumpt end of movie.

And...

Its a spectacular movie a master piece by Alfonso Cuarón, super cinematography, breath taking space visuals awesome sound effects. many cross fingures moments. Let me put a little questionnaire ..

A. Do you like Dead space?
B. Do you like Mass effect/EVE oL?
C. Do you like idea of Space Travel and are you fascinated by astronaughts at any extent?
D. Do you like stranded or cliff hanger like fight to death thriller?

If any of above or more questiones end with answer yes then trust me movie makes 200% return to your ticket expense..

Now i m kind of becoming fan of Chief's score card style so here goes:

Story: 5.0 ( its a wafer thin story BTW)
Acting: 8.0 ( Love you sandra and clooney )
Special effects: 10
3D: 9.5/10 (after all its shot in 3D)

Final Score: 9.17 (Not considering story score here!)

Go and watch you will love it so did i, don't know if its in IMAX too or not!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Re: GRAVITY- Freaking AWESOME!!!

Post by android78 »

I saw this one in iMAX and it was pretty impressive. I'm disappointed though that they don't use a full depth since it felt like the earth was only about 100m or so behind the screen, not 40km. It's frustrating when you get the pre-feature adverts for the technology which show real depth.
Until they start using true scale depth, 3D will always be a gimmick. So frustrating when they are so close!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

android78 wrote:. I'm disappointed though that they don't use a full depth since it felt like the earth was only about 100m or so behind the screen, not 40km. It's frustrating when you get the pre-feature adverts for the technology which show real depth.
I too felt it, but it wasn't that prominent as i have seen movie in normal theatre.Even 3D depth was not felt strong as IMAX. Thats the IMAX, everything goes max there be it vantage points of the movie or be it GOOFs like you mentioned.Specially when you have already seen native IMAX movies like SPACE STATION 3D or WALKING ON THE MOON 3D. its simply nothing to compare ;)

Are these Commercial movies IMAX versions really IMAX Camara Shot or just converted? i have strong feeling they are mere pathetic conversions as only AVATAR felt like watching an IMAX Movie all other looked 'plain jane' at IMAX.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Dilip wrote:3D: 9.5/10 (after all its shot in 3D)
Actually it was filmed in 2D (for actors and live-action) but the CG was rendered stereoscopically. I'll probably watch it tomorrow, I hope there's been some progress in 3D conversion.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I watched gravity at a 3d theater, and it is indeed awesome, though there are some techical "simplifications" like:
1. seeing space stations that are very far away, like the earth orbit is this small place
2. the characters are able to quickly jump into and use unfamiliar spacecraft in a "matter of minutes"
3. the whole "don't let go!!!' thing (zero gravity - no weight - you can lift the hubble with just your hand)

probably many more. If we treat it as something more akin to "Avatar' rather than "apollo 11", then this movie is awesome.

Even though I ripped on it, I really really enjoyed it, especially the whole "spinning in space, explosions n stuff"
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I finally got to see this. It was great.
DannyVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DannyVR »

The story is pretty straightforward and simple. There's no baddies. The only bad guy is the non-oxygen atmosphere. Anyway, I really enjoy it. I like the way they play the camera view and angle. It really make me feel like I'm together with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. But I only watch it at normal High Definition cinema. Wish that I could watch it again at IMAX in 3D.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

DannyVR wrote:The story is pretty straightforward and simple. There's no baddies. The only bad guy is the non-oxygen atmosphere. ...
No "baddies"? :roll:

The "baddies" are the guys who destroyed safe space travel for some time to come. This may actually come true some time in the near future, although in real life, it is China busy preparing and testing anti-satellite missiles, not Russia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Chine ... ssile_test
http://thediplomat.com/2014/03/china-se ... e-missile/
http://project2049.net/documents/uscc_c ... l-2012.pdf
DannyVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DannyVR »

Thanks geekmaster for pointing that out. Yap, I think they don't show the bad guy directly in the movie.
Perhaps the sequel, "Gravity Deux" (I just made it up), will expose the conspiracy behind the explosion.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

That would be more interesting to see, as it can add whole new dimension of space battles (Project StarWars).
anntastic010
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by anntastic010 »

Gravity was amazing! I wonder what it would look like through an Oculus Rift or a Morpheus! Mmmmmmm....
MechaEnginer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MechaEnginer »

Gravity was well! The reason Zuckebergs wants Movie companies like Sony to create movies for 3d oculus rift platforms is that ''all good experience'' in his more expansive content.

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”