looking for someone using the EDID trick (H5360.inf)

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

looking for someone using the EDID trick (H5360.inf)

Post by malak »

hi everybody,

i'm looking for someone using the EDID trick (with H5360.inf) to get 3D Vision working on his 120hz projector

i don't have access to this kind of hardware but i'd like to know where exactly is the limitation that makes that trick required (nvidia drivers probably detect the projector name and model number in EDID data to permit use of 3d Vision, tell me if i'm wrong)

to valid this theory, i'm looking for somebody who uses this trick (and so is used to this kind of things) to try the same slightly modified h5360.inf file (just one custom resolution added that would not change the projector behaviour) to see if the nvidia driver checks the name and device section only, or the entire EDID data (ie with checksum)

if you can do this test for me (it should not take more than 5 minutes) please contact me and i'll send you the modded file and instructions

thanks for your attention :)
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: looking for someone using the EDID trick (H5360.inf)

Post by Fredz »

Why would anyone use this trick on an Acer H53650 ? It's correctly supported by the 3D Vision drivers.
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

Fredz, this file is used by people who don't own a h5360 actually, but who need to trick the nvidia drivers to get 3d vision working on their non-certified but capable 120hz projector, making it detected as a "H5360 3D Vision certified projector"

It's one of them (kind enough and preferably with some technical knowledge about EDID) that i'm looking for.
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

that could be useful to get resolutions like 1280x800 working with 3D Vision for 3d-ready projectors with this native resolution
if someone is interested, please let me know
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I would like to help, but I don't have any 3D projectors (unfortunately).
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

Yet that's half of what i need :) thanks
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Just out of curiosity, what projector do you have?
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

none ;)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

malak wrote:none ;)
But if you don't have a projector, why do you need this?
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

do you only do things you need ? ;)
please read my first post, it's more about knowledge
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Here you can find a modified H5360 inf file for the P1303W projector :
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

i'm not looking for this file (as i first explained) i'm looking for someone who uses this file to get 3D Vision on his unsupported projector, and who could perform an EDID test for me.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Ah ok, didn't understand what you wanted, sorry.
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

no problem, thanks anyway
Nick3DvB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Nick3DvB »

Hi Malak, I looked into this a few years back, so I might be able to clear up a few things. The device IDs of certified displays are stored in the nvTimings.ini and nvstusb.inf driver files, but the EDID data is still checked, this is overridden when using an inf but only if the display is connected digitally, if you use VGA you must actually block the EDID signal as well. You CAN edit the inf to change the timings so I don't think there is any protection using the checksum etc.

I'm pretty sure that almost any display can be used in the "legacy CRT mode", if the timings in the inf are correct they will work, but they are still not detected in the setup wizzard / control panel as "3Dvision certified" displays, (except for a strange bug that only seems to happen on SLI systems where the driver seems to forget to check the EDID data again after SLI is enabled / disabled, the driver then reports that a certified display is detected!)

The H5360 inf didn't work for me because the resolution / timings didn't match my projector, I got it working in the end using an inf from an Acer X1261 and an EDID blocker cable. I spent weeks trying to patch the nvidia files to add my display but I never did work it out, maybe you can crack it? Here is some other info you might find this helpful:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=182294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://3dvision-blog.com/how-to-use-any ... 3d-vision/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck! :D
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

Hi Nick,
Thank you very much for your post, i've been studying "nvtimings" and you're right : that's hard to figure it out !
Sorry, i'm not skillfull enough to crack the drivers, but that would be great if we could add custom res in this file. I understand you already tried your best, but we can join forces :)

For now, i can only find exact pixel clock rate and resolutions for each line, but the way timings are "encoded" (purposely?) is strange... yet some guesses about what these files are used for, but it's a bit soon to make real assumptions about the whole mechanism.
Anyway, walking in your steps, i'd like understand it. Please let me know if you have some hints.

If you don't mind, you could provide me things that could be very useful to go further , here is what i'd *really* need :
- the exact name/model of your actual projector
- the X1261 inf file with EDID inside (text copy is fine) that you are using to get 3D Vision
- and most needed : the complete list of your working "3D Vision enabled resolutions" with this projector and for *each* of these resolutions (and each frequencies) , complete timings informations from PowerSTrip that you can get like this : Powerstrip -> Display profiles -> Configure -> Advanced timing options -> Copy timings to clipboard (icon next to the Cancel button)

I know that's a bit lot of work but it would be greatly appreciated.
I'll let you know all my findings soon (i can't post private messages, don't know why) and may be, start a new thread about it here to get some help.
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

Good news sibboi ! :)

Please, if you have time to do so, could you post here these informations ? :

You'll need to install those free utilities :
- MonInfo : http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- PowerStrip : http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First disable any other display (like your additional monitors or laptop screen) then :

- run MonInfo as an administrator and once opened, directly go to File->Create INF, save "monitor.inf" where you want, then quit MonInfo, rename the newly created file "monitor.inf" as "monitor.txt", open it and copy the whole content in your post.

- in the NVidia Control Panel, go to the Stereoscopic 3D settings, verify that the correct display is selected (and not 3D Discovery) and that you get the "3D Vision ready" icon.
Then choose "Select when the display is in 3D mode" ->Always and find all resolutions and every frequencies that are 3D enabled.

- for each resolution, test if 3D Vision is REALLY working WITHOUT the red warning message on it, if so right-click on PowerStrip icon (in your windows taskbar tray), select Display profiles -> Configure -> Advanced timing options -> Copy timings to clipboard (icon next to the Cancel button) and paste the clipboard (CTRL-V) in your post, and so on for which working resolution.
Last edited by malak on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

By the way, help from any 3D Vision user is welcome !
(except CRT users or people using "Analog Display" in the NVidia Control Panel)

Please provide the same informations here, first mentionning your exact display model name and following all the steps (see the previous post for instructions) thanks
malak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by malak »

thanks for your EDID sibboi.
but the most important data i need are not the timings in EDID (in your EDID, there'es only timings specified for 60hz, 76hz or 85hz frequencies) but the actual timings detected when in 3D mode.
In 3D Stereoscopic section, you have to choose "Select when the display is in 3D mode : Always" before setting 3D resolution and getting "in use" detailed timings with PowerStrip for each 3d enabled resolution .

For one resolution, you should get something that looks like this :
"
PowerStrip timing parameters:
1920x1080=1920,60,48,66,1080,10,10,30,141625,512

Generic timing details for 1920x1080:
HFP=60 HSW=48 HBP=66 kHz=68 VFP=10 VSW=10 VBP=30 Hz=60

VESA detailed timing:
PClk=141,63 H.Active=1920 H.Blank=174 H.Offset=44 HSW=48 V.Active=1080 V.Blank=50 V.Offset=10 VSW=10

Linux modeline parameters:
"1920x1080" 141,625 1920 1980 2028 2094 1080 1090 1100 1130 +hsync +vsync "

EDIT : what is the name of the display driver shown in 3D stereoscopic nvidia panel ?

Return to “3D Projectors”