Sharp XR-55X DLP

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Sharp XR-55X DLP

Post by jkh0208 »

Hello,
I recently purchased a Sharp XR-55X which claims to be 3D ready via DLP Link. I haven't been able to find any info about this projector other than manufacturer's info, but I was wondering a few things. It says that it uses XpanD or ReadD active shutter glasses, but it also mentions that it's compatible with field sequential 3d content. My concern with this is that every 3D ready DLP that uses DLP Link seem to use the IT checkerboard format to display 3D, but field sequential I thought usually involves page flipping. If it uses field sequential yet the Xpand glasses are supposed to sync with the monitor, not the pc, then what sort of 3D driver would I use? The iz3d shutter mode is really sketchy and inverts the left and right eyes every few seconds even on games running well over 100fps when I tried using edim glasses, and only the interlace mode seemed to work but looked horrible, much worse than my Zalman which uses interlace but looks ok. Of course I can't use NVidia drivers since they require you to buy their Vision dongle in order to enable them for shuttering. However, if it uses checkerboard format, which would be great, then why would Sharp mention field sequential? They give no info on what sort of 3d format the projector uses, only that pc games can be played in 3d. Any thoughts or suggestions before I buy a set of Xpand x102's?
Thanks.

PS: The search feature on this message board is terrible unless I search for something specific. I typed "dlp shutter projector glasses 3d" and it tells me it ignored every word because they were too common. Anyone else have trouble doing searches here?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Sharp XR-55X DLP

Post by cybereality »

Interesting, I don't believe I heard the Sharp XR-55X mentioned before. If it says DLP-Link that should mean it works with the Xpand glasses. However that doesn't indicate what 3D format it supports so I can't really say what driver might work. If it says field-sequential that is another term for horizontal interleaved, commonly called interlaced. If that is the case it could work with either the iz3d or DDD drivers. Does the remote/OSD have any options for "3d mode"?
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Thanks for the response. It does have an option for 3d mode on the remote, but I haven't been able to get it to work with the edim glasses, so I have to wait for my xpand x102's (I ended up having to get a set of the pro model since they are the only set I could find, all the other's are x101 and the projector doesn't have a port for the emmitor for those). I tried interleave mode which works, but it looks so bad. I love my Zalman which uses interleave, but interleave on the projector is awful. When I have the projector set to full size screen the interleave turned on by E-D activator makes the whole picture weave in and out of darkness, kind of hard to explain. It's like the lines are there like normal, but on light areas it also fades to dark 32 or so pixel rows then to light and so forth down the screen. Shutter mode looked really good on it, but it keeps losing sync and switching the right and left eyes. I'm kind of concerned, but I really hope it uses checkerboard. I guess there's not a way to check if it does until the glasses come in since I don't know how to make the edim's sync with the projector instead of with the pc.
taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Post by taz291819 »

Where did you get the X102 Pro's? I've been looking for them.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I got them from TRU3D.com. They were out of the home edition. The pro have a larger distance for receiving the signal from the projector, but half the battery life of the home.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

If you can plug your edim emmitter into the 3 pin out on the projector the glasses should start working automaticaly once you place it into 3d mode. Try this with the iz3d dlp driver.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

That's the problem, the projector doesn't have the 3 pin port. The instruction say that the newer xpand glases (x102, maybe x103 when they come out) read a signal from the screen itself whe the projector sends out a specific light signal inbetween frames.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Ouch. WIll it work through the vga adaptor in 3d mode with dlp driver and ed activator?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

No, I just get the same image in both eyes unless I do the pageflip mode. The checkerboard images show up in dlp mode, but it doesn't sync to the glasses because with checkerboard format the image is sequenced at the projector's sync, whereas page flip it's synced with the pc. (Sorry if that sentence was worded poorly :oops: ) The vga connector syncs with the pc instead of the projector, so I can't get it to break up the checkerboard image.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Looks like you may be stuck with dlp link glasses, unless some genious can make an emitter that can read the dlp queue, wouldnt be to hard i imagine.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Yeah, but I just hope it's not using interlacing because here's what it does:

Now there's also the small interlace lines there, they just don't show up on camera. The problem is those big bands that get bigger down the screen.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Okta, I noticed in your sig that your setup includes a Sharp XR-10X and shutters. If you don't mind me asking, what drivers and configuration do you use for 3d? Thanks.
Okta

Post by Okta »

I use old windows XP drivers and 7xxx cards for that. Not that ive had a chance for a long time...
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I'm a little worried because I only have a 14 day return policy on the projector and I still haven't heard back from TRU3D about my x102 order. If it uses interlace then I definately want to take back the projector, if it uses checkerboard then I'll keep it, any other method then I'm not sure. If TRU3D cancels my order and says they are backordered (like 2 other companies did, even though their sites said they had them in stock) then I'll end up having to order Crystaleyes 5 which are like $450 :(
Okta

Post by Okta »

Give this a try - http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=9736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Thanks. I installed the new beta driver, but I still get the flickering every few seconds in shutter mode, even on a game that runs at 150fps+. I can't figure out what's causing that.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Well I just now got an email from TRU3D.com telling me that the product I ordered it backordered. I wish they would have told me that before I purchased the item because now I have to wait for a refund if they'll even give me one so that I can try something else. Are there any other options for DLP Link glasses besides crystaleyes 5 and the impossible to find x102's?

EDIT: Ok, so I found this ridiculously expensive set of x102's on ebay, but since he was the only one selling them and since it's still cheaper than crystaleyes 5, I ordered the pair. I finally found out what was causing the black banding. It was keystoning causing some of the pixel rows to scale. Is there a way to either get image angle correction through a external lens of some sort?
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Ok, so I got the glasses today. Unfortunately they use page flip mode, but I have the issue where the left and right eyes constantly switch every few seconds. Checkerboard and interlace don't work, though interlace works if I use E-D activator in interlace mode which is basically page flip with interlace. Is there a way to get a stable page flip mode without having to resort to purchasing the nvidia vision kit?

Thanks,
Joe
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Are there any forums similar to this that are more active? I'm reaching my deadline on returning the projector and am stuck as to what to do at this point.
Okta

Post by Okta »

jkh0208 wrote:Are there any forums similar to this that are more active? I'm reaching my deadline on returning the projector and am stuck as to what to do at this point.
I think you are stuck with Nvision, old school xp or possibly whatever ATI and IZ3d cook up for page flipping support though i would not hold my breath for that.

Might be safer to send it back and get a genuine checkerboard projector.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Do you know any specific projectors that use checkerboard format?

Thanks.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I tried talking to iz3d and they insist that it should work with checkerboard, but I have failed every attempt to get that to work, and the shutter mode is still buggy as heck. I think I'm just going to return the projector and get two cheap projectors to do the passive method. Thanks for the responses.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

jkh0208 wrote:Do you know any specific projectors that use checkerboard format?

Thanks.
I believe the Acer H5360 supports checkerboard but I am still unsure of what supports this (ie 3d glasses, etc.).
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

You mainly talked to me at iZ3D forums, I'm not an iZ3D employee, just an other user.

The thing is it's the first time we see this kind of projector, every other consumer DLP projector equipped with DLP link works with checkerboard or interlaced outputs.
The only other 3D DLP projectors that only support frame alternate are expensive professional projectors designed for large audiences and they feature some form of sync port to tell which frame is left and which frame is right, and also something to plug emitters for glasses.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Sorry if I came across wrong, BlackShark, I didn't mean to sound rude. I've just had a lot of trouble with this and it's frustating. Most of the other projectors I've used in the past did work like that, with the checkerboard format. This one is just acting a lot different for some reason. It works great when I set my res to 1024x769 @ 120hz and use shutter/simple for old games that run well over 60fps or so, but when I play anything like WoW or Halkf Life 2, it drops to 59-65fps and left and right eyes start switching every few seconds. I heard that Nvidia Vision compensates for lower fps and still separates properly, but I didn't want to feed Nvidia any more than I already have for their proprietary garbage, especially since their vision shutter glasses ghost so badly compared to my old edims. I think I'd rather go passive anyways because then I wouldn't have to rely on framerate anymore, and the glasses would be so much cheaper. I found a set of refurb ViewSonic PJ560D projectors for $350 each and I could grab 2 of those, some filters, glasses, and a silverscreen, and rig up a dual projector holder. That projector is 3200 lum which is the brightest I've seen for an xga at that pricemark.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I went ahead and ordered the projectors. I'm having a little difficulty finding a good silverscreen for under $700. The only cheap ones seem to be the de-lite with silver matte, and people seem to mention that material ghosting quite a bit. Any suggestions for silver screens? I might end up having to sell off my xpand x102's to help pay for one (not that I have a use for those anymore anyways). I've also considered silverscreen paint but my walls are textured and I'm not sure how noticable it would be, although I didn't have an issue projecting on my walls when I was playing with the edim's.
Thanks.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Sharky tested a few models of silverscreens here :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Thanks! Peroni Superscreen seems to interest me the most, because of price. It looks like I have to contact them for sales. I wish these places had normal online checkout options instead of having to wait around for emails back and forth just to purchase a product.
iamdriven
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iamdriven »

Hi all! This a great forum and I almost have my XR-55X DLP projector working! I have 2 sets of glasses. I have a pair of Optoma DLP Link glasses and the Nvidia 3D vision kit.

For DLP link i am using the newest IZ3D driver in DLP mode. However they switch the sync on the eyes every 30 seconds. You can press the button on the glasses to sync and they start working again. Its a known issue with the IZ3D drivers and really kills the immersion factor in the game. (Dirt 2 looks amazing while in sync) It also kills my framerate to activate the 3D. (quad AMD with 9800GTX)

The NVIDA 3-D vision glasses :shutter ....what an adventure it was trying to get this to work. I was able to get the glasses to work for the 3D test in the Nvidia control panel (with the glasses upside down) and thats it. I tried pulling the pins on the DVI connector so i could have the projector recognized as generic PNP monitor. I was able to force the 120hz refresh but no games worked in the 3D.

Anyone able to get either of these options to work?

Return to “3D Projectors”