ST1080 (Second Batch) Review

Shutter glasses and custom polarized! Talk about them here.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

After months of waiting I finally got my SMD ST1080 today. I ordered on March 16th, so I got very lucky that my unit was part of the second batch after SMD caught and corrected some quality control problems on the production line. It took two extra (excruciating) weeks but I am happy now to have a well-built device. No noticeable dust or delamination problems that I am aware of. I've spent 3 or 4 hours with it now and have a lot to say about it.
First off, I will say that I am satisfied with the device and plan on keeping it. There have been a lot of negative reviews and panic on AVS Forums and the ST1080 website about the quality of the device. There are some accurate and valid criticisms concerning image and optical quality - I won't deny that. However I also believe that several of the reviewers approached the device from the wrong perspective. People who have never used an HMD tend to have overblown expectations and are disappointed when they are not transported into a Holodeck. Others have approached the device purely from a high-end A/V perspective and are disappointed with many of the technical aspects. Primarily it has been compared to the Sony HMZ-T1. Unfortunately I don't own one of those and have tested one for only about 5 minutes, so I cannot give a lot of comparative analysis. Instead I am going to compare it to a previous generation HMD that I do own and use often - the Vuzix Wrap 920. In many ways this is a fairer comparison because the Vuzix and the ST1080 both serve the same purpose. They are both meant to be portable displays. The Sony is a great device but it is not designed for mobility in any way. If all you do is compare the imagery between the Sony and the ST1080 then you are missing half the discussion. The other half is about ergonomics, portability, immersive gaming, and VR - aspects that I care greatly about.

Design and Ergonomics

The construction of the device is a mixed bag. From the outside it looks pretty good - one of the least dorky looking devices out there. Not as well sculpted as the Vuzix, but still something you could wear on an airplane and not feel too embarrassed about.

The front has a slick and curved presentation and some metal accents. It does not look cheap…until you look at the backside of the unit facing the eyes. For some reason they kept that portion of the device very straight and blocky. It does not conform to your face at all so it's not as comfortable as it could be. It lets in a lot of light from the edges, and looks very much like a prototype from that angle.

You have to jam your face right up against it to get the lenses close enough. There are two rubber nose pads of different thickness, but they just push your face away from the lenses. I have a prominent nose so I had to remove the nose pad and rest the raw plastic against the middle bridge of my nose. Not the most comfortable position. I feel like they could have done a better job with the physical face-interface. The top of the unit is just hollow plastic, so it could have been shaped better to conform to your forehead. Instead it feels like a flat board sitting against your face. The Vuzix by comparison has a much more refined design. It sits higher on the nose and the whole unit fits snug against your face. Still - the ST1080 serves its purpose. You can get your eyes into the correct position fairly easily and it doesn't move around that much when worn. Much of that is due to the well-designed arms. They are spring loaded to clamp your face. I had expected that the front-heavy device would want to fall off a lot when I tilted my head, but the arms work surprisingly well to keep it in place. It does tend to slide down your nose over time, but even without the supplied string it doesn't feel like it's going to fall off. The unit is not "heavy", but it is a lot heavier than my Vuzix. That, combined with the mid-placement on the nose leads to discomfort over time. Because the unit is so thick and hollow, it seems like they could have reduced the weight a bit which would have made it better. One of the things that I dislike about the Sony is the "requirement" of a comfort mod to make it wearable. While the ST1080 is better ergonomically, it still probably needs a small strap over the head to pull some of the weight off your nose for prolonged usage. Also the thickness and chunkiness of the arms may cause them to conflict a bit with large over-the-ear headphones. I used it with my headphones and it wasn't bad, but they are only a medium cup size.

The control box is about the size of the original iPhone but is much lighter. SMD said that the box would need an external battery to power it because it draws up to 1.5A which exceeds the USB spec. I was skeptical of this claim because a lot of computers don't enforce the USB current limit and I have successfully powered devices exceeding 1A before over USB. But just in case, I went ahead and bought a PowerGen Duo-Power External Battery Pack that can supply 2A. That was wasted money however, since I soon discovered that I can just power the ST1080 directly with a USB port from my laptop. Now compare that to the Sony that's got a control box the size of a hard-back book and must be A/C powered! The ST1080 is vastly more portable in this regard.

Field of View

The field of view is exactly what I expected based on the specifications and my experience with the Vuzix and the Sony. Compared to my Vuzix it is much wider but not a whole lot taller. I remember when I put the Sony on thinking that it looked like I was sitting in the middle row of a theater. That impression is helped by the fact that the Sony wraps your face a bit and blocks out the environment. The ST1080 is not nearly that enveloping. If I sit in a dark room, then it looks a bit like I am viewing a theater screen from the back of the theater. But you don’t always get that sense of scale because a lot of the environment is visible around the side under normal lighting so it often just looks like a floating monitor. Comparing it to my 21” desk monitor it looks as if I was sitting with my face about 18 inches from the screen. You are NOT completely immersed in the screen. But on the other hand, this compromise allows you to view all parts of the image easily and use the desktop.

Display and Optics

Most of the reviews so far have focused on the technical aspects of the displays and optics – and they are mostly accurate. I captured some video to help convey the quality. The videos only vaguely represent what the image looks like live. In real-life the image is not nearly this washed out and the colors are very vibrant. I only show these for a basic impression and to help describe some of the visual artifacts that are reported.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Nk0_hyfv4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGLWRsZhipc[/youtube]

The colors are very vibrant. Combined with the clarity and the high resolution, the images in general look really good. This became more evident as I switched back and forth between my Vuzix and the ST1080. While playing SkyRim I looked up at the sky and on the Vuzix it just looks like a washed-out mess. The brightness and dynamic range on the ST1080 is way, way better. The same sky viewed through the ST1080 is vivid and beautiful – even when the sun peaks through and flares the image, you can still make out the details and variation in the clouds. When you look way in the distance the details on the mountains are just breath-taking.

The black levels are bad - worse than my Vuzix and a lot worse than the Sony. This is compounded by the fact that there is a thick border around the screen that appears gray. There is also light-bleed on the sides and some sort of "ghostly" line artifact that forms a small triangle with the edge of the screen. All of this creates a pretty noticeable and noisy border which can be distracting at times - mostly in dark movie scenes. I watched a bit of Avatar on my 55” LG Passive 3D TV and then on the ST1080, and some scenes do appear a bit washed out in comparison - not so much that you can’t enjoy the movie, but it is noticeable. I cannot recommend this device as a substitute for a good LCD TV. As a portable television however, I think it would work very well. I can definitely envision using this in a car or airplane to watch a movie.

Another issue that has been reported is the optics. Now they are actually quite good compared to my other HMD. With my Vuzix I can just barely even use the desktop at all – and only because I memorize the icons and text. The ST1080 however is sharp throughout most of the screen. (I am writing this review using the ST1080 at the highest resolution). But you never do really forget that you are looking through lenses. The first thing I notice when I put them on are the reflections and the slight geometrical distortion. There is a subtle horizontal “barrel” effect where the screen appears slightly bulged in the center and the top curves a bit downward. If you push the device higher it straightens the top edge but the screen never looks completely flat. It’s a very minor issue however. The other issue is the internal reflections. They are noticeable along the top and bottom of your FOV and they create some faint “ghostly” lines and overlays within the image itself. Now part of this could be due to my contact lenses. I have my own internal reflections caused by my lenses that create flares and star-bursts when I drive at night – and these are the same type of lens artifacts that I recognize in the display. I just can’t tell which artifacts are my lenses and which are the ST1080. I don’t want to exaggerate this however. It’s not that big of a deal, and after a few moments these things are hardly noticeable.

The thing that is constantly noticeable when using the device as a desktop is the focus. The bottom half of the screen is always razor sharp. But towards the top and especially at the top corners, the image starts to blur. When you move your eyes to the upper region, it takes a few moments for your eyes to refocus. If you are looking around the entire screen often, this refocusing can become a bit tiring on the eyes. Tilting the device and/or mashing it against your brow ridge can correct the top, but as the unit slides down your nose, the focus begins to fade. The focus is the worst in the top corners. No amount of tilting or squinting can seem to bring the corners into focus enough to read text at 1080. I would say the corners are as bad as my Vuzix. So the device is usable as a desktop but it has limitations. I tend to keep my window in the lower center where the focus is best and limit my eye scanning. Of course there are other practical reasons for this as well. It is not natural to use a desktop with a fixed head position. In the real world I don’t lock my head in one place and use my eyes to look at the screen edges. Instead I tilt and turn my head to reduce the amount of work my eye muscles have to do. So part of the problem with using it as a desktop is simply a matter of mechanics. Making your eyes do all the work can be tiring. On the flip-side, I believe that combining this device with a head-tracked virtual desktop could make it very useful. That would allow the much more natural habit of moving your head to look at different areas of the screen and would also keep the area of interest right in the center of the ST1080 where it looks best. I did this a while ago with my Vuzix and was pleased with the results, however a limitation of Windows prevents any window from being larger than the desktop, so with the Vuzix all my Windows were too small to make it practical. You can see an example of this in the video below. But with 1920x1080 window sizes and vastly clearer optics, I believe that the ST1080 could be used productively as a huge virtual desktop. Imagine being able to work with your laptop on a plane and having access to the equivalent of 6 HD screens !! I’m going to try and test this out very soon. Again this is something that while technically possible on the Sony, is impractical because of the physical design of the HMZ-T1.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXlFOi-7qmA[/youtube]

Another issue that has been reported is the "rainbow" effect if you move your eyes quickly across the screen or bounce. It is a fundamental issue with the LCOS screens so it is present in my unit as well. If the unit shakes then you will see it, but it doesn’t pose much of a problem during normal desktop and movie usage. It is a bit of an annoyance however when using head tracking (I’ll get to that later).

3D

I watched a few minutes of Avatar 3D and also played SkyRim stereoscopically and was underwhelmed with the 3D. It seems very mild – especially in a head-to-head comparison with my LG passive 3D TV. I love the 3D effect of my TV. It is very bright, easy on the eyes, and jumps off the screen. There was a huge difference when watching the same scene on my LG and then on the ST1080. At first I thought I had turned the 3D off somehow, but after fiddling with the settings I convinced myself that it was on. It was just very subtle. With SkyRim, at first I thought the 3D was less pronounced than my Vuzix, but after switching back and forth between them it appears about the same. My understanding is that this is due to a perceptual trick that occurs with all HMD’s when you don’t have a fixed external reference frame. I don’t know the details, but I can report that it is true. If you are expecting to be floored with the “pop-out” of your 3D movies, then I think you will be very disappointed with this device.

Immersive Gaming

This is where I think the device really shines. So many of the technical issues that are problematic during desktop usage simply “vanish” once you are immersed in a first person game - especially the focus problems. Images do not suffer nearly as much as text does with soft focus. And since you tend to move your camera toward the area of interest, the stuff that you are looking at tends to be in the center of the screen where it looks the best. As I said before, SkyRim looks astonishingly good on this display.

But the real “kicker” is when you match it with head-tracking. That’s when you really start being pulled into the game. Sure you can surround your head with 120 degrees worth of desktop monitors running at insane resolutions. But no matter what you do, you are still keeping your head basically fixed and moving the view with your hand. Transferring this basic mechanic to your head where it belongs creates a quantum leap in immersiveness – much more so than the jump between 2D and stereoscopic viewing. Standing on a mountain cliff and turning around to view the scenery in SkyRim (whilst just standing in my office) is simply awesome. I am dying to try this thing out with a free-motion interface so I can eliminate nearly all the manual controls and just move naturally through the scene. [Edit: I can confirm that is a truly amazing experience. While not quite reaching total immersion, it is definitely a massive leap over the Vuzix in terms of immersiveness and clarity of the virtual environment]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpwN23wPeKg[/youtube]

Again, this is possible because the ST1080 is designed as a portable device. You cannot have this experience with any fixed screen setups – so don’t talk to me about technical details like color contrast, etc. The ST1080 (and all HMDs) may not perform as well as TV’s and monitors in those aspects, but it can at least approach their performance. Conversely, an HMD can do something that no TV can even approximate – allow you to step into a virtual environment.

There is however one nagging issue when using this particular device with a head tracker. The aforementioned “rainbow” effect that is endemic to LCOS displays doesn’t usually occur too often since you don’t typically shift your eyes that fast. However when you are head-tracking and turn your head, you tend to “lead” the turn with your eyes. Also a lot of physical movement tends to bounce the device a bit. So unfortunately the color aberration effects seem to be more evident during VR usage than during regular usage. It’s not a deal breaker, but it is one area where the Sony has a clear advantage.

Summary

In short, if you had hoped to replace your 3D TV and watch movies all day with this device I wouldn’t bother. It doesn’t compare to a decent big screen TV. Also if you want to be productive and write code and surf the Internet all day on it, I would advise you to temper your expectations. It can be done, but it is not as good as using real screens and I think it would be tiring over long periods of time. (I stopped using this device midway through this review for that reason) The best uses for this device are as a mobile platform and for immersive gaming. It would be very good for taking on a plane and watching a movie, surfing the web, or getting some work done. And for immersive gaming it is great! Its closest rival is the Sony, but the Sony has major ergonomic problems. I suppose a completely modified Sony that fits comfortably and fixed your eyes into a stable focus is probably a superior solution (ie. ski-goggle mods). But you have to be very dedicated to create that, and of course that’s not something you would really carry onto a plane - is it. So as a mobile and general purpose VR device I think the ST1080 is very good and is why I plan on keeping mine.
Last edited by brantlew on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: ST1080 (Second Batch) Review

Post by space123321 »

Thank you so much for the review - this is exactly what everyone was waiting for! The videos look great in my opinion. I do now feel confident in my order. In the same case as you - my HMZ did not give me the same wow factor that I receive from my LG passive display. Combined with the discomfort and small pupil exit, the HMZ was just not ideal for my VR uses unless I went the route of the ski mod (which I did not want to do). The ST1080 does seem like it will be a perfect replacement for the hopes that I wanted and needed from the HMZ. Thanks again for your time!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Very nice write-up. Sounds like a decent device.

I'll probably just wait on this one, though, since I have the HMZ already and the Rift is coming soon. But it doesn't sound that bad at all.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

So far the best review without any bias. The info provide enough perspective to respective buyer on what to expect. Looks like we all still waiting for a killer HMD.(Palmer, we are putting the hope on you!)
Last edited by pierreye on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@cyber: Yeah I have more respect for the Sony now having used the ST1080. It's not exactly clear which of them is best and I certainly would not throw out the Sony for the ST1080 if I already owned one. My current impression is that a ski-mod HMZ-T1 is the best general purpose device available. I considered going that route instead, but when the Rift comes out I will already be getting a home-brew head-crab contraption. So it will be nice to have an ST1080 as a small and elegant alternative.
Cyberqat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cyberqat »

One big advantage of the ST1080 over the HMZt1 is in weight. This thing is very light. Unlike reviews I have read of the HMZT1, the ST1080 showed no wish to move as I turned my head .

Since intend to use it in head-tracked VR situation, thats an important consideration
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Rainbow effect due to fast panning might cause headache for head tracking application. All this factor need to be considered for immersive VR application.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I found another short review that basically matches all of my findings, so I am pretty confident now that the display characteristics (good & bad) are up to spec. There are a few poor souls out there that are pinning their hopes on some sort of manufacturing defect that will somehow completely change the optics and underlying technology - but it's not going to happen on this version of the hardware. It is what it is. The device is great to me, but I agree with the reviewer below that a version 2 of the HMZ-T1 with better ergonomics would be the best solution.

Mine is from the second batch so I cannot compare it from the first batch that many people seem to have problem with.

1. The nose piece does not fit my nose bridge well. I had to take off the rubber nose piece for a better fit. However, this is different from person to person since each person has different nose size.
2. Forget about 3D experience. I tried several IMAX 3D films such as Under the Sea and Deep Sea which have very good 3D pop-out and depth effects on my 3D Panasonic 65" VT30 plasma but they are non-existent on the ST1080. I thought that I had to push some kind of button to have 3D effects but there is no such button.
3. There is a reflection in the bottom. It looks like 2 mirrors that reflects the image up to middle field of vision. I have to adjust the device to be a little upward so that I can avoid seeing the distracting mirrors at the bottom.
4. The side arms are not fully open like the photo in their website. They bent a little inward. I can feel the pressure agains my temporal/parietal region when I wear the ST1080.
5. There is a slight hissing/buzzing sound when using the included earpieces. When I use my own earphone connected to the controller, I no longer hear the hissing/buzzing sound.
6. Black is dark grey
7. The very top and top corners are a little blurry.
8. There is a border around the the image. It does not fill the whole screen. I was hoping to see total darkness around the image but there is another light border around the image.
9. Somehow my eyes grow tired after watching for about 15 minutes.

By the way, I used the Micca EP 600 Second Generation as the media player. It is playing my 1080p .mkv files as well as 3D .isos.

I had the Sony HMZ-T1 for a few days before I returned it prior to March. I remembered that it had better 3D effects than the ST1080.

Currently, I am just hoping for the Sony HMZ-T1 version 2 with lighter weight, better fit, and 1080p resolution.
Head Mount Display is still in its infancy.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1395827/st108 ... t_22176581
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

Many thanks for the great review brantlew! Quick question about the underwhelming 3d effect you are reporting.
brantlew wrote:I watched a few minutes of Avatar 3D and also played SkyRim stereoscopically and was underwhelmed with the 3D. It seems very mild – especially in a head-to-head comparison with my LG passive 3D TV.
My understanding is that this is due to a perceptual trick that occurs with all HMD’s when you don’t have a fixed external reference frame.
When moving from 3D on TV to 3D on HMD (at least for games), I would assume one could overcome the lack of "external frame effect" by cranking up the separation and adjusting the convergence, thereby achieving an equivalent *perceived* stereo 3D effect? Is this not the case? What happens exactly when you... keep cranking?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I used a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 to transmit the movie to both devices so the source was exactly the same for the TV and the ST1080. I adjusted the "3D setting" on the Pany all the way up and down and could see the image transforming but I never could make it "pop" like the TV. Sorry I don't have a more technical description of it. To be honest, I don't think it's the fault of the device. I mean - it just displays two images on two screens. How could it mess that up? I think it's just something perceptual that goes on in your brain when you don't see a stable background behind the image and cannot move your head in relation to the image. Others have mentioned and can explain better why 3D suffers on HMD's.

I didn't try to modify my convergence settings during gaming but I will try that at some point.
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

I think you described it quite well. Too bad your Panisonic doesn't let you go further, to see what happens! Curious, if you take the max "pop-out" you are currently able to achieve with Blu-Ray / ST1080 combo, what do you suppose you'd have to multiply that by, to get a level of "pop-out" you'd be happy with?

Also for gaming, once you do get around to maxing out settings, etc, please do let us know just how much perceived "pop" you can achieve with your ST1080. I'd be interested to know as you increase settings, if there is a threshold before which there's just not enough pop-out, and as then suddenly your cross-eyed, if that makes sense. In short, I wonder if it is even *possible* under any circumstance, to achieve satisfactory perceived pop-out with the current family of consumer HMDs. Again, many thanks!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Great review thanks. Is that you in your tracking project in the last vid? Its looks good, i notice the lag between stopping and starting walking but i had anticipated that as error margin/buffer for actual movement detection and would be tough to reduce altogether.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@Okta: Yes that's my tracking project, but the video is from a few months ago. I've been working on reducing the delay and it is a good bit more responsive now than what is shown on the video. I've been play testing it with the ST1080 for the last couple of nights and it is very cool. Immersive enough that I have felt some slight nausea a few times when the system doesn't track properly.

While I'm on the topic. A have a couple of quick additions to the review after using it in full VR sessions for about 3 hours now. First off - the custom cable that connects from the HMD to the control box does not mate securely with the control box. It slides out very easily. If you try to pick up or drag the control box using that cable, it will slide out of the slot. For VR use, it's annoying because it falls out all the time as I move around and I have to tape it to prevent that. Also the menu system is not well designed. I think the 3D menu options should be the first thing that comes up, or somehow easily switchable. For example, the Vuzix control box allows you to toggle 2D and 3D by double clicking the menu button. You need that when switching from desktop to game and back. The ST1080 menu system is layed out so that the 3D options are last, and I have to go through about 8 or 9 button clicks before I can switch modes. Not convenient when you are strapped into a full VR setup.

One last thing. The light bleed on the side does become a bit annoying during dark video game scenes. During daytime scenes, the color quality and brightness really makes games look great, but in dark scenes the sides noticeably reduce the quality of the visuals. I don't think a game like Doom 3 would look very good on this screen.
RejutkaLupex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RejutkaLupex »

brantlew wrote:I found another short review that basically matches all of my findings, so I am pretty confident now that the display characteristics (good & bad) are up to spec. There are a few poor souls out there that are pinning their hopes on some sort of manufacturing defect that will somehow completely change the optics and underlying technology - but it's not going to happen on this version of the hardware. It is what it is. The device is great to me, but I agree with the reviewer below that a version 2 of the HMZ-T1 with better ergonomics would be the best solution.
That is disheartening.

In your opinion, do you think that SMD will (be able to) change the hardware anytime soon?
Jpatrick1821
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jpatrick1821 »

Thanks for the review! I am very interested in your work with the virtual desktop. I think that the ability to combine head tracking with desktop work like this would go a long way toward making the ST1080 a more effective monitor replacement. I'd be very interested in any guides / drivers / etc. you'd be willing to share to help us set something like this up.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@RejutkaLupex: I don't have a clue, but my guess is that the screen technology is close to the best of their ability. Their expertise is in display technology. They are new to HMD's so I expect they could iterate a good bit on usability and ergonomics - and possibly even on the optics.

@Jpatrick1821: Well I can tell you the direction I'm going. It's not even that big of a deal, but I just haven't found a free weekend to implement it. Both Infinite Screen and GlovePIE contain functionality to perform the desktop pans, and the FreePIE project can interface with several different head trackers. So I just need to add the glue code between FreePIE and IS or GlovePIE. For simplicity, you could use FreeTrack and your laptop's webcam or just an iPhone for the head-tracking.

This is all still a bit of a hack however. It's not really a "true" virtual desktop because the task bar and icons all stay in the same location. There's a guy doing a much more comprehensive virtual desktop here. Unfortunately only Linux right now, but he's trying to port it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0LLfiD43Y[/youtube]

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=15088
glitchvern
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by glitchvern »

In short, if you had hoped to replace your 3D TV and watch movies all day with this device I wouldn’t bother. It doesn’t compare to a decent big screen TV. Also if you want to be productive and write code and surf the Internet all day on it, I would advise you to temper your expectations. It can be done, but it is not as good as using real screens and I think it would be tiring over long periods of time. (I stopped using this device midway through this review for that reason)
Hi,
At work I sit for about 9 hours a day. When I get home, I just can't sit any more for any extended period of time. I'll go to my computer for a little bit, but I wind up getting up and pacing around the kitchen a lot listening to music. I was thinking of getting one of these and hooking it up to an android phone and then watching shows I recorded on my computer (2d mostly SD), browsing the web, and maybe even some coding after this comes out. Figure about 3 hours a day, 5 at the max. Probably with short breaks every 45 minutes to an hour. Do you think this device would be comfortably usable for that or that it would be tiring on the eyes? What's the longest you can comfortably go using this device as a desktop replacement? My desktop is linux and android has an X server on it, so I could potentially be using a browser, text editor, etc. in a window that can be shrunk down to the clearly in focus part of the screen.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

It is possible to use it as a desktop, but I don't think I would choose to do that in my home with perfectly good monitors sitting there. Everybody has a different tolerance for this sort of thing. Honestly it gives me a headache to use it as a desktop for longer than 30 minutes. I also find that moving to 720 is easier on my head and eyes.
faker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by faker »

Getting mine in 12 Hours, was stalled first with getting send to the wrong country, than it was very long in customs, and than i missed the delivery guy today :(
could still be out of the first batch i think.

So some Questions:
1) What driver is the best for the Glasses?
NVidia 3DTV Play, Tridef 3d, IZ3D, or some opensourcedriver that also has a Windows Port?

2) On a sidenote i would need in 14 Days after i get my new PC also a Linux Driver, or can i set X to 1080@30 top and bottom in the settings?

What i will be mostly using the glasses for is Gaming and watching Movies.
Games like Silent Hunter Series, Skyrim, Darkfall Online, Portal, ... and any game that might come out that might be a SIM(Space, Submarine, Social(Simcity or The Sims)), Sandbox.

When everything works out, i just need a ventilator and someone with a spraycan with water to be immersed at movies like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2paNOLxr1BU&t=10m30s

//edit: after watching some movies, allice in wonderland 3d and final destination 5 in 3d SBS with VLC, i find it rather ok, got some problems in the corners, but they are less if i don't put on my glasses, so my glasses are adding to the blurry corners.
maybe i try it with contacts next week(as i am rather heavy shortsighted(4 diopter) i see the corners without glasses ok, or if i focus on them, so at least i try to get some custom made glasses that i can fix on the device). Else its what i thought it will be.
Lightbleeding i couldn't make out, or i am used to it from my LCD Monitor.
3D Effects from Imax Movies are ok and nice, colours are very nice too(tried under the sea imax 3d).

Return to “3D Glasses”