ED 3D glasses ??

Shutter glasses and custom polarized! Talk about them here.

Best 3D Setup

ED 3D is really good
No votes
3D vision is good
100%
ED3D and 3D vision is same if you try it on the same computer
No votes
ED3D and 3D vision are waste of time, they don't work
No votes

Total votes: 2

saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

ED 3D glasses ??

Post by saikamaldoss »

Hi Guys.. i need help..

After watching Avatar Movie.. i am in love with 3D :)

I am in India and no way i can get 3D shutter glasses here.. one of my friend is in U.S and he can get me what i want from there.

But i am not sure if it is going to be any good..

I have a ATI 5770 card, samsung 22' max res is 1680x1050 @60hz and i have DDD and iZ3D driver which i am using for watching 3D using red/cyan Anaglyph mode.
the Problem is i am getting headache and the color is all screwed up as you guys already know and the 3D effect is also not that good.

I also have 3d stereo player which can play movie in any format i want..

and i can force my monitor to play games and video @ 1280x720 @ 85hz

My question is, is ED 3D any good ?? would it be like Avatar movie 3D ??
and which mode will be the best mode (page flip) for this setup and what setup will work better for my ATI /ED 3D glasses..

here is the link for the product i am going to buy.. click here http://www.edimensional.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=29

is it any good.. can i have that 3D experience of AVATAR at home for a cheap price.. ??
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: ED 3D glasses ??

Post by yuriythebest »

hi and welcome to MTBS3d! Please use the search function of this forum to find out about edimentional and 3d vision as this has been discussed many times before. The gyst is that the ED glasses drivers are very out of date so to have any chance of em working on a modern PC you need to buy the additional 50$ iz3d drivers. As for nvidia 3d vision it's somewhat overpriced but it works, however you need an Nvidia video card. Also do research on:
zalman
iz3d
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

yuriythebest wrote:hi and welcome to MTBS3d! Please use the search function of this forum to find out about edimentional and 3d vision as this has been discussed many times before. The gyst is that the ED glasses drivers are very out of date so to have any chance of em working on a modern PC you need to buy the additional 50$ iz3d drivers. As for nvidia 3d vision it's somewhat overpriced but it works, however you need an Nvidia video card. Also do research on:
zalman
iz3d
hey thanks man :)

I can get that driver. but will it be good as avatar.

i don't get that monitor in India :(
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The ED glasses aren't bad, but they are very old and are designed for use with CRT monitors. They DO NOT work with LCD screens. If you can find on old CRT then you can get the ED glasses to work but you will need to purchase the iz3d drivers (interlaced mode) for $50. For the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses do work on LCD screens but only a few special 120Hz LCD displays that are made for 3D. Plus you will need an Nvidia card to use this, it can get expensive. I recommend taking a look at the Zalman Trimon or iZ3D monitors which sell for around $300 and include the glasses and everything. Although they may not sell in your area you should be able to import, many places ship internationally. I personally recommend the Zalman Trimon 22" monitor (thats what I use).
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

cybereality wrote:The ED glasses aren't bad, but they are very old and are designed for use with CRT monitors. They DO NOT work with LCD screens. If you can find on old CRT then you can get the ED glasses to work but you will need to purchase the iz3d drivers (interlaced mode) for $50. For the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses do work on LCD screens but only a few special 120Hz LCD displays that are made for 3D. Plus you will need an Nvidia card to use this, it can get expensive. I recommend taking a look at the Zalman Trimon or iZ3D monitors which sell for around $300 and include the glasses and everything. Although they may not sell in your area you should be able to import, many places ship internationally. I personally recommend the Zalman Trimon 22" monitor (thats what I use).
it will cost me 400$ and i already bought a 22' samsung :(

Ed works out cheap. even with driver 99$ is ok for me. but i am not sure if its going to give me headache and how the 3D effect will be and if there will be any color loss.

i can run my monitor @ 1440x900 @ 85hz and will that be enough to get 3D without ghosting ??
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

What kind of monitor is it? The ED glasses only really work on CRTs.
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

cybereality wrote:What kind of monitor is it? The ED glasses only really work on CRTs.
its a LCD but can do 85hz :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

saikamaldoss wrote: its a LCD but can do 85hz :)
Like I said LCD is not really supported. You can try it if you like but there is a good 99% chance its not going to work. Just giving you a heads up.
anotherFrench
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by anotherFrench »

I was going to vote "diy planar like screens are great" but couldn't find that option, it could be a very good solution if you can't find 3D stuff arround, a good display, cheap and easy to make yourself :)
http://tls3d.fr le site de Toute La Stéréo 3D
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

cybereality wrote:
saikamaldoss wrote: its a LCD but can do 85hz :)
Like I said LCD is not really supported. You can try it if you like but there is a good 99% chance its not going to work. Just giving you a heads up.
this is what i have learned about ED :)

LCD issue fix for ED 3D glasses...

Shutter glasses have typically had issues with LCD displays because of the different display technologies. The individual pixels in LCD displays persist for much longer than the pixels on a CRT, which is why LCD display quality is accompanied by a response time; a term that is irrelevant for CRTs. As a result, flicker free images are actually much easier to achieve on an LCD panel. Unfortunately for 3D shutter glasses this causes a problem. After the image for the left eye has been presented, the image for the other eye immediately follows while the former image still persists on the screen.

eDimensional crew have been able to get their drivers to work by sending a blanking signal to the expired side in order to eliminate visual cross-talk. The universal eDimensional drivers (vs other drivers such as the nVidia stereo drivers) are essential for this to operate correctly. So, if you want to use these glasses on an LCD display, it doesn't matter whether you have an nVidia card or otherwise as you will need to use the universal eDimensional drivers.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

saikamaldoss wrote:eDimensional crew have been able to get their drivers to work by sending a blanking signal to the expired side in order to eliminate visual cross-talk. The universal eDimensional drivers (vs other drivers such as the nVidia stereo drivers) are essential for this to operate correctly. So, if you want to use these glasses on an LCD display, it doesn't matter whether you have an nVidia card or otherwise as you will need to use the universal eDimensional drivers.
It's true that lcd-displays generally have too much lag to work with shutterglasses. A very tiny amount of displays do work though. The two modes in the e-d activator especially for lcd-displays most probably won't work anyway, sorry. :( This is false marketing from e-d and i have no idea why they still advertize it this way on their site. I have a pair of e-d's myself (abandoned long time ago though) and they indeed gave me some of my most memorable moments in front of the computer together with a crt-monitor. I've tested for fun the ability of the two modes for lcd's with my iz3d, my 19" samsung syncmaster and my lcd-projectors but none of them gives even a tiny bit of 3d, only senseless flickering. So this talk about lcd-compability is still bull from their side.
E-d has also very poor support regarding newer softwares and rigs. The best compability for e-d glasses is going "nvidia old school". This means: Windows XP (not vista or win7), crt monitor or compatible dlp-projector and an nvidiacard (maximum 7950, not 7950gs2 because sli won't work). Support for older games with nvidia drivers are quite good but you will not have luck with newer games. Since the drivers for 7900 series and xp aren't supported anymore i can't recommend getting these. They're simply abandonware in my eyes. You can run them in either syncdoubling or interleaved mode in the iz3d driver and corresponding mode set in the activator on newer systems but that's it. You'll still need a compatible displaydevice.
To save you from early gray hairs i'd suggest getting either the iz3d monitor, zalman seems to be a very decent option, or 3d-vision (make sure you meet the criterias for it).
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

Likay wrote:It's true that lcd-displays generally have too much lag to work with shutterglasses.
did you try the LCD patch which is there in their site ??
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I tried using the ED-glasses and my LCD (I got the LCD drivers and their LCD-supporting glasses) - however it simply doesn't work since LCD's that claim to be 75-85hz simply redouble the final 10-15hz so it's fake. the only way for em to work is with the new 120-240hz LCD's there you have a chance but they cost a lot of $$ - here is my experience buying em on youtube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vQYYYU910M[/youtube]
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

saikamaldoss wrote:
Likay wrote:It's true that lcd-displays generally have too much lag to work with shutterglasses.
I don't believe it's a patch, just those two extra lcd-modes in the later e-d activators (verified nonworking with 3 different lcd-devices i have). However it feels like you're persistent enough to get a pair anyway.
The glasses aren't bad in any way (probably just as good as most other shutters "out there"). But they lack important recent softwaresupport (exceptions listed in my post above) which is just as important as the hardware itself. Anyway: if your lcd-monitor doesn't work with it then maybe you can get an old crt somewhere. It should be cheap if you manage to find one.
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

Likay wrote:
saikamaldoss wrote:
I don't believe it's a patch, just those two extra lcd-modes in the later e-d activators (verified nonworking with 3 different lcd-devices i have). However it feels like you're persistent enough to get a pair anyway.
The glasses aren't bad in any way (probably just as good as most other shutters "out there"). But they lack important recent softwaresupport (exceptions listed in my post above) which is just as important as the hardware itself. Anyway: if your lcd-monitor doesn't work with it then maybe you can get an old crt somewhere. It should be cheap if you manage to find one.
its just that i want to keep the cost low. i am from India and the monitors that u mentioned are like 500$ here.

i cant buy that now.

the prices will go down really quick once every company is ready with their own 3d monitors and will pick one at that time.

till then i can use this. and CRT is still available in India and a secondhand one would cost 30$ lol :) but let me see my luck.. i have heard people using ED with LCD displays and for some its working. but mostly on samsung :) and the luck is that i am also using a samsung special edition which supports 85hz @ 1680x1050 and can reach 95hz @ 1280x800 :)

hmmm willl try it and will let you know how it was :)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Please do! Good luck!
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

Likay wrote:Please do! Good luck!
hehe sure :) its going to be a gift from my uncle lol ;) :polarized
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

Likay wrote:Please do! Good luck!
:woot U WONT BELIEVE :) IT WORKS ON MY SAMSUNG 22" :)

BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE fps :( SU**S

MY CARD NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH :oops:

JUST INSTALLED ED DRIVER AND ACTIVATOR WITH iz3d INTERLEAVED HORIZONTAL. NOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS :( HMMM
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

IS THERE A PLAYER WHICH CAN USE THE SAME MODE ?? INTER HORIZ ??
Neil

Post by Neil »

Voting still doesn't work for some reason. A bug we are working to fix.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Stereoscopic Player does support interlaced.
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

cybereality wrote:The Stereoscopic Player does support interlaced.
it has got lot of options like circular left right etc.. which one ??

but there is a problem. the bottom part of the screen is good. but i get ghosting on the upper part of the screen hmmm any IDEAS ?? :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well seeing as the Nvidia 3D Vision certified LCD monitors also have ghosting on the top of the screen I'd say it was a limitation of the technology. You are lucky it even works at all.
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

cybereality wrote:Well seeing as the Nvidia 3D Vision certified LCD monitors also have ghosting on the top of the screen I'd say it was a limitation of the technology. You are lucky it even works at all.
Ah i found the problem. the activator is the problem. if i don't select LCD mode 1, the whole screen is ghosted. but if i select LCD mode 1. onlt top half is ghosted and the bottom half looks 3d and it looks soooo good. hope they will fix it soon :(

its a problem with the activator. they should fix it soon. i am getting the best effect with 1680x1050 75hz and as they say.. 60 gives heavy flicker and in 75hz no headache too :)

i have sent a mail to their support. lets see if they have a beta ED ATC LOL :)

so it does work on mine and not on my friends comp even at 75hz and all the difference i can find is mine is 5ms and his monitor is some 9ms :) so that's the secret behind some LCD working with the glasses :)
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

Hi s,

I know what you mean but I would call that "not working right" if half your screen has ghosting. I know it's a gradual ghosting that gets worse with vertical position. Don't get your hopes up that they might fix this. You can bet they won't. I don't know how many years old that driver is. Here's my experience from another thread:

"
Well, I was curious about the LCD modes on the ED-Activator which seemed to do nothing with the dongles I had so I got a new one and this one was straight from E-Dimensional with their logo on it. My other dongles were older and had different logos... H3D and 3D-world (X3D). I figured if the LCD modes do something, they should work with the actual E-Dim dongle and I was right. Somewhere, I read about how to use those LCD modes and so I tried them with the new dongle on my CRT first and got a weird view. The top 3/4 screen was wrong-eyed and only the bottom was correct. I looked at the signals with my oscilloscope and found what was happening. The shutters were being delayed from normal by 3/4 of a screen refresh. That's why there was a transition (eye-view-swapping) 3/4 of the way down the screen. So what must have happened somewhere is that someone thought that a delay like that would help on an LCD display but it didn't on the one I tested with. It just sort of shifted the bad 3d down a bit. It's not even worth describing. Anyway, if you want to try it, do it like this. For Pageflipping mode, start it like normal with the Activator, then once it's on, right click the tray icon again and select "LCD mode 2". Then start some test like iZ3D's shutterglass test or nvidia's floating logo test in DDC stereo 3d mode and you will see what I mean. Try it on a CRT if you can. Shut it off in the reverse order. LCD mode off first, then stereo mode off. If you don't do it this way, it will still probably be OK but there's a chance the dongle may get stuck on and you'll have to power-down your computer to reset the dongle. "LCD mode 1" is just like mode 2 except that it's interlaced. You use it the same way so first turn on interlaced mode, then LCD mode 1. Later, turn off LCD mode 1, then turn off interlaced mode. Obviously you need a horizontally interlaced 3d image on the screen in order to see the effect. Basically, this was a waste of time except for satisfying my curiosity.
"

It's from this thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... activators" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically, if your just starting out, a CRT is a great place to start. Especially if you want to do things cheaply and CRT's are available. Later on, if you have a good wall to project on, you can get a DLP projector and have an 8-foot-wide 3d display but you have to get one that works with shutterglasses of course and sometimes it's hard to know. You can get a $300 one if you can tolerate 60Hz refresh rates. Play in the dark and it makes a big difference. Sometimes I can't even tell if the glasses are shuttering or not when I'm using my projector like that. Also keep in mind that screen-flicker is less visible with a DLP, than with a CRT.
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

unfortunate for ED. i am a though customer lol

I file case against company's if they cheat. i sued gigabyte for motherboard and palit for graphics card. now i am going to do the same with ED lol. bad that they have to go through this lol :)

its bad that they cant fix it. they are using empty signals to fix LCD issue. but they are not doing a good job. but the bottom half looks soo cool. if it works full screen. it would be the best thing i ever had hmmm
Last edited by saikamaldoss on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

saikamaldoss wrote: I file case against company's if they cheat. i sued gigabyte for motherboard and palit for graphics card. now i am going to do the same with ED lol. bad that they have to go through this lol :)
Please do, they are a bunch of crooks.
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

cybereality wrote:
saikamaldoss wrote: I file case against company's if they cheat. i sued gigabyte for motherboard and palit for graphics card. now i am going to do the same with ED lol. bad that they have to go through this lol :)
Please do, they are a bunch of crooks.
don't worry.. i surely will. :) and will get my 100$ back too :)

will let you know soon :)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

saikamaldoss wrote:unfortunate for ED. i am a though customer lol

I file case against company's if they cheat. i sued gigabyte for motherboard and palit for graphics card. now i am going to do the same with ED lol. bad that they have to go through this lol :)
No it's not. Their behavior is fraudulent and hurts the industry. I'm sorry that you had to go through this though. :(
if it works full screen. it would be the best thing i ever had hmmm
So very true. Once going 3d there's no way back. E-d are not the only ones who helps in making 3d way more complicated than it have to be. I think 3d as phenomena is going to survive anyway. It will only take longer time though.
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

I just fund a problem with my monitor. at 60hz its not working but at 75hz is half screen. but when i put it in 75hz the vertical will still be 60hz since the monitor wont support anything more than that. when i saw the details, my monitor does 80hz vertical but only 60 horizontal.

And i was looking at BenQ E2400HD which should work and the samsung is compressing the horizontal lines where the BenQ is not.

Screen Size 24" Wide
Color Glossy Black
Resolution 1920x1080
Pixel Pitch 0.276
Brightness 300 cd/㎡
Contrast Ratio 1000:1 (DCR:10000:1 )
Response Time 5ms / 2ms(GTG)
DCR 16.7 million
Viewing Angle 170/160 (L/R;U/D) (CR>=10)
Horizontal Frequency (KHz) 30 ~ 83 (KHz)
Vertical Frequency (Hz) 50 ~ 76 (Hz)
Video Bandwidth (MHZ) 25 ~ 205 (MHz)

I have a feel that this would work :) what do you feel ?? since it also works with (PC 3D Viewer Kit with LCD Monitor)
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

get a H5360 or a HD66 man. How much that ed dongle costs second hand? Isnt it the same as the x3d ?
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
saikamaldoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saikamaldoss »

tritosine wrote:get a H5360 or a HD66 man. How much that ed dongle costs second hand? Isnt it the same as the x3d ?
hmmm sorry i bought it and no luck. the samsung was better hmmm :( wasted 331$ :( in India its Rs.14,900 i curse ED.. they will pay for it :(

Return to “3D Glasses”