Emulating existing Vive Controller

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Vollkorn01
One Eyed Hopeful

Emulating existing Vive Controller

Post by Vollkorn01 »

Hi everyone,

We are a VR startup developing another locomotion system for VR and have received great feedback so far.
The only problem is compatibility, so we were wondering if there's a possiblity to access the touchpad of the Vive controllers with our locomotion system (since the touchpad is usually used for walking).

We already managed to implement 2 additional virtual vive controllers that we can emulate (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZNttWb ... qZS9rGM_QA).
Unfortunately now we have 4 controllers in the game (the 2 virtual and the 2 normal ones), but only two of them are recognized by any application.

I can imagine two possible solutions:
1. if we walk with our locomotion system, an HID command is sent to the PC. This command is then being recognized by a software which translates it to the openVR API to trigger the touchpad of the existing vive controllers.
2. We somehow manage the games to recognize 4 controllers, this might also work.

I hope you understand our problem and could point us in the right direction. If you think you can figure out a solution we would also be happy to work together with you!
wirelessdreamer
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Emulating existing Vive Controller

Post by wirelessdreamer »

This may be a good starting point for you: https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator
JacobVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Emulating existing Vive Controller

Post by JacobVR »

well, one idea is that you could enable playing VR games with a keyboard and mouse on a 2d monitor. This is probably the original intent of the emulator, but I think thats more from a developer perspective...

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”