Quake II VR

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
dghost
One Eyed Hopeful

Quake II VR

Post by dghost »

Hey all,

It's a little bit old at this point, but I realized recently I never posted about it here. A while back I forked the KMQuake II engine that supports the Oculus Rift. It features:
-6DOF Headtracking
-Decoupled aiming
-Rudimentary head/neck model
-Fully captured 2D UI
-Native support for Xinput gamepads

I also am going to try to get at least basic Hydra support worked in at some point, though there are technical issues that may prevent it from being much more than mouse/joystick emulation. I'm also probably going to take a swing at getting Linux and OS X support back in sometime over the break, but we'll see how that goes.

Source code and binary download links (including a shareware bundle) are on the project GitHub page.

If anyone has any feedback or feature requests, feel free to mention it :D

Edit: curse you BBCode, curse you.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Quake II VR

Post by cybereality »

Cool.
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BOLL »

I will have to try to get this working this holiday :P What current experiences lack are volumetric effects, buuuut... Quake 2 has volumetric explosions! Perhaps not the most pretty, but at the time, I know I thought it was an amazing feat xD Still just polygons, but yeah.
dghost
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dghost »

The volumetric explosions actually hold up pretty well, and look a hell of a lot better than many attempts of faking explosions with sprites :D

That said. They could really, really use some extra particle effects to go with them. The "nuke cloud" look is kinda dated at this point.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”