Avegant’s new Virtual Retinal Display is like Oculus Rift on

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
kevinw729
One Eyed Hopeful

Avegant’s new Virtual Retinal Display is like Oculus Rift on

Post by kevinw729 »

Head-mounted personal displays like Oculus Rift and Google Glass are pretty revolutionary devices. Years from now they’ll likely be remembered for bringing virtual/augmented reality into the mainstream, but, thanks to the breakneck pace of technological advancement, there’s already a new set of goggles in the works that make them look primitive by comparison.

For starters, the image quality is reportedly much better. The goggles use an advanced micromirror array to beam two separate WXGA (1,280×768-pixel resolution) images at each eye, which is essentially double the effective resolution of currently-available Oculus Rift developer kits. Additionally, since these images are being generated with reflected rather than emitted light, they more accurately mimic the way we see in the real world. Pixels blend together more naturally this way, and, since there’s no screen anywhere, the wearer won’t experience the dreaded “screen door effect” that generally occurs when LCD’s or OLEDs are placed close to the eye.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/ ... -steroids/
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Avegant’s new Virtual Retinal Display is like Oculus Rif

Post by xhonzi »

Avegant’s new Virtual Retinal Display is like Oculus Rift on an 80" screen from 8 feet away?

I'd say the resolution is probably more like an effective 4x the Rift's. The small field of view means that all of those pixels are more infront of your eyes where you can appreciate that resolution... just like a nice TV. The point of the rift is the field of view.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Millions of micro mirrors.... HMMMM... $$$?
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

blazespinnaker wrote:Millions of micro mirrors.... HMMMM... $$$?
I don't know... sounds like DLP to me.
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

Sounds like politics of lies to gain false publicity by using the Oculus name brand.
GUNGRAVE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GUNGRAVE »

they are saying their is no screen put i still don't understand it, could be a flop or a huge success no between here

https://twitter.com/jrich05/status/387927252304166913
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

I hope that a high FOV retinal display eventually is available for $300 :D.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Wide FOV, dont expect to be much better than the rift because the problem is due to the small lenses it uses, in other words do not expect great peripheral area. The Rift will likely ship with a higher than a 1080p display when release, dont quote me on that, but it a strong hunch.

The Rift also already have or is building more software for the unit than any of its competitors, and this alone will make a big difference at commercializing the product. Having said that, it is great to see more variety of hardware coming out into the market! So is a win win at the end of the day
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
simonion
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by simonion »

This is probably the closest I have seen a product come to the VR-headset in the book "Ready Player One" although they use lasers in that one.
Hopefully they will realize how big the audience who wants VR is so they increase the FoV. It is supposedly at the moment like watching an 80 inch TV from eight feet away. They also say they have a 240Hz refresh rate and can still go higher which would eliminate some of the problems with VR that John Carmack and Michael Abrash has discussed. Since it uses microarrays I'm not really sure how the mechanics of increased FoV would work?
Hopefully they will get some rave reviews and give us the next step of VR! :woot
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

simonion wrote:They also say they have a 240Hz refresh rate and can still go higher which would eliminate some of the problems with VR that John Carmack and Michael Abrash has discussed.
At this time it wouldn't eliminate the problem regarding judder as Michael Abrash already said (200 Hz would be a significant improvement but still not enough). He also said that the sweet spot was probably somewhere between 300 and 1000 Hz for 1080p at 90° FOV, so there is no guarantee either that their higher refresh rate would be enough.

And rendering image at these frequencies would create unacceptable compromises over the complexity and the quality of the rendering. Doesn't look like the solution to me, at least for now.
simonion wrote:Since it uses microarrays I'm not really sure how the mechanics of increased FoV would work?
I guess they are using DMDs from DLP pico projectors, so I guess they would only need to project a light source with a wider FOV on the DMD to get a wider FOV for the viewer.

The idea is very interesting though, but I'm not sure it's going to be cheaper than the Rift. A single 1280x768 AAXA P4 DLP pico projector already costs the same than the Rift ($299), and something like the InfinitEye with a better resolution (2x1280x800 instead of 2x1280x768 for the Avegant) only costs $420 in parts.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Another pretender. Go high FOV or go home.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
grandmaster789
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by grandmaster789 »

This one doesn't seem to have either a high FOV or a consumer-level price... recently I've become aware of some high-fov alternatives with better screens (at not-so-consumer-friendly prices though), such as the xSight from Sensics (http://sensics.com/products/head-mounte ... cations-2/).

The more time passes since the introduction of the Rift, the more impressed I've become with its price/performance :D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

grandmaster789 wrote:recently I've become aware of some high-fov alternatives with better screens (at not-so-consumer-friendly prices though), such as the xSight from Sensics
Their vertical FOV is a joke though, you'd expect more than 45° for something costing $39,000.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”