Nvidia @ GTC 2013

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Nvidia @ GTC 2013

Post by STRZ »

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyKSbNRkTs[/youtube-hd]

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCWpno0cYI[/youtube-hd]

:woot

Exiting times ahead! Especially their future mobile stuff is insane, and the fact that they work with the USC people could mean a lot for the future of VR. A next gen 64bit ARM v8 mobile CPU + full featured GPU including raytracing in your pocket for cable less VR will be so amazing! :geek:
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Nvidia @ GTC 2013

Post by KBK »

personally, I'll stick with wire, thank you very much.

The wiser tech heads are using ear buds with wires for phone calls, getting rid of bluetooth and wireless. They dumped the body poisons.

Wireless has it's dangers. Always has had, always will. No wireless in this house.

Statistically speaking, right now, and it's getting worse, 50% of all people alive on this planet will contract cancer at some time in their lives. Some form of caner.

Being smart and dodging the bullets is what puts you one on one side of that statistic.

Here's one that is even more scary: If one lives to old age, ~100% of all males will get prostate cancer.
Last edited by KBK on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Wow! That dudes face at the end is amazing!!!
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

From what I can tell, it won't be wireless. It will be wearing the VR computer inside your HMD.

Besides, evidence has demonstrated that non-ionizing radiation (such as that emitted from cell-phones, wi-fi, and I imagine Project Shield) does little more than some capacitive heating. No cancer or brainwave modification so far.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch all these when I get back to a computer.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

I'm guessing that maybe 10 years from now, there will be a lot less wireless. Not because people are stupid, but they will finally be getting smart.

as for the cell radiation. It defeats the highly important blood barrier in the brain. the one that keeps disease out.

A few minutes of cell phone use a day, is all it takes.

As for studies: My business partner's wife has created designed, completed, worked on, etc...medical studies, for the past 25 years. At the national and international level, wholly outside the influence of corporate and financial interests. The universities, hospitals,and research foundations in Canada are government supported and the government in this case, is still not deep in the pockets of the corporations. Yet.

So we still get honest studies from them.

Which cannot be said in the vast majority of any studies that come out of the USA.

In Canada, the people in the system are fighting off the corporations and private interests every day, and it's tough, as they keep trying to break in at every point and every day. Sociopaths don't sleep, they're wired that way. No rest for the honest, the fight is endless. In the Canadian medical system, there is no more offensive piece of slime than a pharmaceutical salesman. In the US medical system, it is just the opposite.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, sorry for the diversion, this is about Nvidia cards and technology.

Lets go faster, she said! Mo' better power.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
dragontoaster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dragontoaster »

KBK wrote:I'm guessing that maybe 10 years from now, there will be a lot less wireless. Not because people are stupid, but they will finally be getting smart.

Anyway, sorry for the diversion, this is about Nvidia cards and technology.
Sorry for the diversion? You spent 2 posts pushing your factually incorrect conspiracy theory level anti wireless agenda. I'm not even going to bother getting into the argument with you but pretending it wasn't your goal from the beginning is foolish.
Orkel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Orkel »

That Kayla/Logan demo makes me wonder if future HMDs will work like consoles. Just plopping it on your face, no need to plug it in anything, with those advanced graphics. Can't wait to see how HMDs will be like in the 2020s!
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

When it got to the digital Ira, he is very impressive, but there is definitely something of the uncanny valley about him. However, when he spoke, a lot of that went away. Still though, he gives me the uncanny valley creeps, especially in his eyes.
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Direlight »

KBK, extremely high powered radio waves (close up) can give you health problems over extended periods, however wireless technology is becoming far more energy efficient.
Bluetooth v4.0 introduced low energy technology to the Bluetooth Core Specification, enabling new Bluetooth Smart devices that can operate for months or even years on tiny, coin-cell batteries. Markets for these new devices include health care, sports and fitness, security, and home entertainment.
http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/low-energy.aspx

Radio waves occur naturally and extremely weak outputs are not going to hurt you. Cancer is from pollution and toxic additives in food & water.

Two biggest polluters on Earth are China and the US, and guess which countries have higher cancer rates.
-------Resolved and back on topic----

Nvidia is absolutely dominating the graphics industry and I have yet to regret buying one of their products, unlike AMD graphics. I used an AMD powered laptop that has no official driver updates. (hybrid graphics)
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Here's the complete nvidia keynote http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/30095793
ja30278
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ja30278 »

I didn't realize that Oculus are also exhibiting at GTC

http://instagram.com/p/XF6GxdFonF/ (from some random person on twitter)
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Now this is some mind-blowing s*it:

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRdSxZtUpFk[/youtube-hd]

Real-time movie quality graphics (through the Cloud). Go OTOY!
Hermit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hermit »

its amazing, but still an 350.000$ rig using 25.000 Watt (est.) for a pretty simple scene. Also its far from realtime, it takes some time to create a clear image.
dragontoaster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dragontoaster »

Hermit wrote:its amazing, but still an 350.000$ rig using 25.000 Watt (est.) for a pretty simple scene. Also its far from realtime, it takes some time to create a clear image.
This is mindblowing for CG in movies, not gaming. I wonder how much of an impact this will really make on the easy and cheap availability of good CG to movie studios, seems revolutionary but I don't know enough about regular CPU farms to know if it really is this huge leap better.
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

Hermit wrote:its amazing, but still an 350.000$ rig using 25.000 Watt (est.) for a pretty simple scene. Also its far from realtime, it takes some time to create a clear image.
"Practically realtime" for working with movie assets is probably what I should've said. :P Any way you slice it, it's a HUUUUGE jump, though obviously costly.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

it cant be that expensive, since they rent one GPU for 1$/hour. look a the forum news. http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 9cc74f981f
i wonder how much GPUs big VFX studios will occupy. obiouvsly its also sth for private persons.
Hermit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hermit »

350.000k is too high I know that, since they get a big sponsorship + bulk deal.

Still at an average of 0.50$ a hour they get that investment back within a year.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

I have a friend who is a core engine designer for a major CGI house.

He was called back in recently for a major re-vamp. I wonder....

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”