3D Virtual Reality Gaming on a smartphone

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

3D Virtual Reality Gaming on a smartphone

Post by tek2222 »

After 4 months of development i can show the results:
I created the device in the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n1nr9C6JMk
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Re: 3D Virtual Reality Gaming on a smartphone

Post by STRZ »

Ziemlich cool! :mrgreen:

What's the FOV more or less?
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Should be around 100 degrees . I can see about 6 cm screen at 4 cm distance

Stefan
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Wow, looks all very thought out. Now only warping and you would have a mini Rift :P

Are you running GNU/Linux or Android on your Nexus? There is some open source warping software for Linux out there http://www.gdal.org/gdalwarp.html

Here a german PDF from the Uni Tübingen about the software, haven't looked into it though http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... _I_k3DEYGQ
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Its running on stock Jelly Bean Android
Right now working on Galaxy nexus and nexus 4
S3 might work, but i know nobody owning one.

Thanks for the distortion link, but it looks really good like it is now, although i will try it out.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

If it looks good enough already the better, have you used the lenses the DIY Rift uses?

Edit: Btw, the warping software i linked before and removed now in this post was unfortunately only for foto stuff..
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

I would probably just come up with a simple look up table that has standard lens correction mathematics... Im not sure though if my phone is fast enough, but thats going to change...

Im using different lenses, i have lots, but im not sure which ones are really the oculus ones. Im using right now a asymmetric biconvex lens with 2.5 cm diameter and a focal length of about 4.5 cm I got it from china.
mrgrey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrgrey »

Great job :D
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Wow totally impressive... and I really dig how the lenses are independently adjustable.

With using such relatively small lenses as you are... For astigmatism-related eyeglass wearers like myself, one might be able to position them behind the eyeglass lenses allowing for a large fov and corrected vision without the need for huge lenses on the hmd.

To hell w/ the standard 25mm minimum eye relief I say lol. Hell, even better just give me some 50mm FL contacts and I'll be good to go. ;)

Cool stuff man keep it up... There has been more advancements in HMDs and just VR tech in general in the last 6 months than in the past 20 years it seems... Love it. :)
My Current VR Setup
- N-Vision Datavisor 80 HMD (1280x1024, 80 FOV at 100% Overlap)
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
- IZ3D for non stereo-ready apps
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

my wife is astigmatic. she can use the googles with no issue, maybe your astigmatism is very strong ?
putting glasses behind the lenses does not work right now because the googles are too small to accomodate the glasses. Also the lens holders would have to be redesigned to let them enter from the top maybe.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

tek2222 wrote:Its running on stock Jelly Bean Android
Right now working on Galaxy nexus and nexus 4
S3 might work, but i know nobody owning one.
The software works on my Nexus 7 as well (while holding a pair of the 2-inch 5x aspheric loupe lenses and the Nexus 7 in my hands). Some work still needs to be done with the external sensor fusion app though, which occasionally gets stuck at the poles. The software quirks may be an issue with the Nexus 7, and they will surely be fixed when time allows. But while it works, it is a great experience.
:D
antimatter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by antimatter »

Awesome I would love to try building one of these myself. Looks pretty inexpensive.
sskillz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sskillz »

Impressive, you must try it with any of the new 1080p phones.
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

Hi & I am totally in awe of what you've created here... That is so darn cool !!! So .......

I have a few Questions... :P

Please help me to understand the development process required to create a similar device .

I'm thinking I could create something similar but with an upcoming Apple iPad mini retina ( if it is ever developed)

I have a Unity Pro iOS license .. and I develop my V.R experiences with the Unity plugin that warps the image... ready for the Oculus Rift.

I don't own a 3D printer but I believe I can simply send my designs of to be printed. I'm based in London. There's a monthly 3D Print meet-up close to me... might have to go take a look ;)

The hardest part is the head tracking & optics .. yes ?
Does the phones built in gyro & accelerometer take care of all the head tracking ?
"PlayMaker " a Unity store asset, provides easy access to both the accelerometer & gyro.

Regards the Optic Lens... Would I best search for these in say for example a Toy pair of binoculars ? or something completely different ?

Am I missing something here.. or is it that simple.. ?? :geek: Well I shouldn't say "that simple " as you spent 4 months developing it... but hey, WoW nice work ! !
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Toy pair of binoculars is fine.
However you can soon inexpensively buy such lenses from me through Amazon

I heard that some of you are longing for new Android Head Tracking Fodder here are Three Tracking side by side demos that i'm working on:
They are all standalone and everything will be released. Quake 2 can be played with an icade controller or a bluetooth keyboard.

spumco.mine.nu/Quake2-debug.apk (Quake 2 side by side with low latency gravity corrected NDK head tracking)
spumco.mine.nu/rt3dapp-debug.apk (Proton SDK Demo Project demonstrating Model and Quake3 bsp loading with headtracking)
spumco.mine.nu/RTPhysics-debug.apk (Proton SDK Demo Project demonstrating Bullet Physics integration )

These are going to be in the play store soon, but you can have them upfront if you want

Have fun.

PS Be aware that i have tried running it on S3. It has more latency than my Galaxy nexus. Possibly the Gyro chip is different , i hope it can be resolved as the S3 gyro is actually 200 Hz. instead of GNEX 100 hZ. Still my GNEX shows less latency.... I hope i can get ahold of an S3 for a while to debug it , or get somebody to debug it with theirs.

Gnex: looking good , extremely fast
S3: not so good, latency visible.
Nexus 4: looking good.

if you can please post your results

For nexus 7 the IPD is too big..
I'll figure out a way to adjust it with quake, with the Proton SDk it should be trivial.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

The software and hardware files are now available on www.durovis.com

Help to make Games happen on the opendive.
Try out the opendive demo on your smartphone.

I have experimented with unity and Gyrodroid, unfortunately the head tracking is still a little slower than my solution, once I figure out a way to do really fast head tracking with unity I will let you know. what has to be done is make my c Tracker work as a native plugin in unity under android. It's quite easy, but I don't know too much about unity, i could only provide the native part .

Stefan
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Hi,

I have just printed this out on my RepRap. The only problem I had was where the head strap clips clip onto the main unit. The overhang was too much for my printer to cope with (Max 45deg) I don't know if this can be modified? I have not tried doing any prints with raft/support yet so maybe that would be a way to get around it.

I have ordered your lens kit but as I am in the UK I guess it will take a while to get here so I am on the lookout for something I can buy locally just to play with until they get here. Hoping a local shop may have a cheap pair of binoculars I can pull apart :).

I have tried it with a telescope lens and can see that it is going to work but the FOV on the lens was only 40deg so wasn't ideal.

This is a brilliant idea though. Once I have got it working I'm going to try the stuff using splashtop2, freepie and the hacked version of minecraft to see how well that works :-). I may then try designing my own custom case just for something to do.

Thanks, Matt.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Great news.
Thanks for building the Opendive.
I will post a video soon that might help you.
On the lower part (overhang) of the clips use some exacto knife to make it fit.
It might print better with support, but was intended to be printed without.

We need a forum for OpenDive somewhere, I was hoping mtbs but i dont know if thats possible.

Would be cool if you can share content you create !
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Just to let you know your quake mod is absolutely brilliant! I am running it on a Samsung Galaxy S4 and the effect is superb. I'm hoping that when your lenses arrive it will be even better :)

I didn't really get on with the design on the head set though. The problems I had was the overhang on the catches (Mentioned in previos post, I did cut them down and they work but I wanted to make them better if I could). Also having the two lenses individually mounted I found they moved around two much and it was difficult to align them perfectly. Also because the thickness of the device is quite thin I found it difficult to get the sticky foam to stay stuck to it.

Anyway I decided I would make my own model based around the design of your but trying to fix the issues that I had. My version 2 is currently printing so I will take some photos once it has finished. But if it turns out ok I will post the STL files on here for you to take a look at and see what you think.

It was designed in google sketchup so people can easily modify the One piece lens holder for their own size lenses and eye distance. Mine is currently set for 2.5cm lenses and eye distance of 62.5mm.

This is a very exciting project indeed and I really hope that some more software is desgined to run on android :)

Matt.

Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Do you have any more android native demos? Would love to try them out

Matt.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Have you seen the Irrlicht demos that are available through the play store ? Search for OpenDive.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Just testing them now. They look awesome!!!. What control methods do the demos support? I have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse attached at the moment but can't seem to move. I am guessing I need a joypad but I haven't got around to rooting my S4 yet so don't have the sixaxis app installed. I guess that is my job for tonight.

I have now printed the new mask and it is working perfectly and is actually quite comfortable. I just need to redesign the head strap clips. I am currently using the ones from your model but they are not quite a perfect fit.

Mine uses elastic bands to attach the phone as I didn't get on with the plastic holders to well :).

I will take some photos of it shortly. Would use my phone but its strapped to the headset! lol.

Thanks, Matt.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

I now have my ps3 controller connected to my phone but still having issues controlling your demos. Quake works fine but the other wont move. I have used the OpenDive control app o the android market and that works but trying to use a touch screen to control something whilst wearing a vr headset is less than ideal.

Do your demos not support physical input? I have the controller set as a standard android controller but no buttons do anything. I tried to map the on screen controls using the sixaxis app but The Galaxy S4 doesn't work with touch emulation at the moment so that failed too.

I am really liking this idea though. Just a shame that content will always be an issue. I can see me building a DIY Rift soon. Smartphones have too many limitations.

Matt.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Sorry, the play market demos right now only support the smartphone method. They will update automatically soon.
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Post by RescueGamer »

I tried the kainy app and the tridef 3d on the pc, an the games are showed very well in sbs 3d on the phone, so with the open dive should be great, but without head tracking. But we need more native android games with open dive support. Anyone knows if there is any upcoming game modification for this great device?
Thanks!
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

I also tried the kainy app and it works quite well. Using freepie on android also gives full head tracking. Only problem is the tridef drivers are half sbs so everything looks squashed. Anyone know any way around this. I think the vireo perception drivers would be better but they seem a bit flakey. Minecrift works well though.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

I have now finished my 3D printed version of the opendive.

It can be found here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:93460

Matt.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

I guess we will upload the OpenDive also to Thingiverse now, I dont know if it is possible, but if it is, once we are on thingiverse can you please link us as based on ?
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

tek2222 wrote:I guess we will upload the OpenDive also to Thingiverse now, I dont know if it is possible, but if it is, once we are on thingiverse can you please link us as based on ?
Yeah if I can figure out how to do it :-).

Matt.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Ok the new Version is on thingiverse,
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:96878

Check out the new Lens Adjustment, it works right out of the printer.
My first game "The Height" will come out soon.

Stefan
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

@Croccy22, there is a field in thingiverse things that can be used to link to a device which your design is based on.
By the way I had the rubber band solution also in mind, I think we will make the Openscad model parametized,
so you can choose to make rubber hooks or Clamps

@all
Once we figure out how the best way is to support cooperative development on the
OpenDive we will also put the openscad code online to make customizing it to different smartphones really easy.
The OpenDive will also stay free for everybody to tinker with.
Durovis will build a different design to make cheap Dive Goggles for everybody that does not want to make an OpenDive by themselves.
The intention of going this way is to make games possible.
Thats what I want to do, I want to focus on new forms of gameplay as "Dive Games"
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Look forward to some more software. The actual device works perfect and with my s4 it actually looks better than my DIY rift that I'm making as it has higher resolution. :-)

Definitely need to be able to use physical controllers with anything new.

I have just started to play with unity so the support for that will be great. Just wish you could use unity free.

Matt
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

The not pro version of unity is free. You are allowed to sell games for android and ios.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

I thought you had to pay for the Android part though.?
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

since 5/23 its free. only the pro version costs money
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Sweeeeeeet. Definitely something I want to learn. I've programmed in most languages at one point or another so will be fun to try something different.

Matt
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Just updated the thingiverse version to version 2.1

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:96878
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

@ tek2222: Great work! I've been wondering if Android might not emerge to be the best platform over the next couple of years. Since most games will need to be designed for HMDs to truly take advantage of VR, having everything (CPU, GPU, sensors, etc) all in one tiny package already seems like a smart way to go. Cross platform 3D engines like Unity can only help to drive this, but what has been missing is the software side. The more stuff for Android the better.

I love how responsive Quake looks in that video...
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

The software side will be available soon! (As a plugin that I have written for unity)
It can be used to make games that you can sell on the market. You dont need a pro account. It is possible to convert the existing unity rift demos to OpenDive.
Mopheus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mopheus »

Hi Stefan, I've been following you since I saw this project and it looks really amazing. Unfortunatelly I only have a Samsung S2 phone, so I'm trying to figure out what kind of lenses should I need.... do you have any recommendation of size (25 mm ?), magnification (2x or 4x or more ?) and any other details to be able to get them locally for my S2 ? The demo is running outstanding on my S2 by the way... the latency is incredible.... it's just perfect.

By the way, does anyone know if there's any way to use gyro sensors on an android phone as headtracking on a PC game ? I was thinking in something like KAINY + HeadTracking + Side By Side 3D (Tridef)... at least for fun only.

Thanks.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”