Virtuix Omni - Omni treadmill for VR applications

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Virtuix Omni - Omni treadmill for VR applications

Post by colocolo »

geekmaster wrote:
colocolo wrote:i think the image your eyes perceive is different from that what you see
from the screen capture. Your eyes have a build-in image stabilizator, what causes a pretty straight perception, but the screen capture is of course bobbing because the display and tracker are mounted immovable to your head.
When your eyes roll vertically to provide such stabilization, they are autonomically DRIVEN by the vestibular system in your inner ear. But in this VR simulation, that sensory coupling is missing, as can be seen in the video. If you compare the inset video of JanVR to the game video, you will see that while his head is being held so his gaze remains "stabilized" at the REAL horizon, the VR view of the horizon in the video is bobbing, which causes a decoupling between visual and vestibular senses that can cause motion sickness.

I am still feeling a bit dizzy after watching that video with a large FoV monitor, and wearing an HMD with that uncoupled head bobbing cannot be much better (and perhaps worse)...
thats sounds right . ultimately you would get rid
of it with the consumer version of the rift when all DOF are going to be decoupled.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

The head bobbling was a bit extreme, indeed. I fixed the Vuzix settings (less sensitive) - the following is a remake:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxwknXZ_fR0[/youtube]

I also tried to increase the FPS, but now the video seems more choppy. I probably should decrease the resolution. I'll get it right next time, ha.

We also have a basic website running (under construction), as well as a Facebook page and Twitter account, in case you want to stay updated:

http://www.virtuix.com

https://www.facebook.com/VirtuixOmni

@virtuixomni (Twitter)

The new prototype is getting shape - looking good (smaller and more appealing). Hope to have it ready next week!
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

JanVR wrote:The head bobbling was a bit extreme, indeed. I fixed the Vuzix settings (less sensitive) - the following is a remake:
[snip]

I also tried to increase the FPS, but now the video seems more choppy. I probably should decrease the resolution. I'll get it right next time, ha.
MUCH better - I don't think it looked more choppy? There's obviously still some room for improvement, but this video I would (will) actually show people, whereas the former I kept to myself :? (I have a friend I regularly bombard with VR updates).

There are mods out there to adjust the frequency of the "kill-cam" sequences btw - with VR obviously we don't want the game taking away camera control from us.

Looking forward to seeing the next version of the hardware!
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

TheHolyChicken wrote:There are mods out there to adjust the frequency of the "kill-cam" sequences btw - with VR obviously we don't want the game taking away camera control from us.
I've heard that there's a mod for first-person kill-cams, too. A google search brought up this. Could work so long as the FPV Kill-Cams don't yank your head movements away from you, and if they do then maybe there could be a mod written for the mod :P.

As for motion sickness, I don't get any from Jan's videos, even when viewing them with my nose practically touching the screen. Good to know I have high resistance to simulator sickness :)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

twofoe wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:There are mods out there to adjust the frequency of the "kill-cam" sequences btw - with VR obviously we don't want the game taking away camera control from us.
I've heard that there's a mod for first-person kill-cams, too. A google search brought up this. Could work so long as the FPV Kill-Cams don't yank your head movements away from you, and if they do then maybe there could be a mod written for the mod :P.
FPV kill-cams do yank control from you.

Skyrim has a gazillion mods; I'm sure there's lots out there on this theme, but I'm pretty sure the most reliable will simply be to turn the special kills off. There was also a "real first person" mod aiming to give you the ability to properly see your body in first person. Sadly it was pretty glitchy and I don't think they ever got it fixed up properly, as that would be pretty ideal for VR. Hey ho.
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

:woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is looking more and more promising.
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by LordJuanlo »

I will pledge if you kickstart it, no doubt! Keep up the good work
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

This looks very promising! Now i just need to plan on how to make the wife accept this device in our house...
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Virror, especially for you, I will make sure that you can disassemble the device in 20 seconds and shove it under your bed. Your wife does not need to know about it :)
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Yes, great news : D
Thats an instant buy then : )
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

JanVR wrote:Virror, especially for you, I will make sure that you can disassemble the device in 20 seconds and shove it under your bed. Your wife does not need to know about it :)
This is a very smart man who knows exactly what he's doing.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

woah ... you got an article on Kotaku :o ..http://kotaku.com/5987894/now-theres-a- ... Socialflow
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

And pretty positive user comments, too! A very good indicator for future. Sort out a more polished device, with a more polished game interface and a good video and I think you got a winner on your hands.
I am also pleased as it means the big news sites are starting to be more interested in this area (VR stuff), which is great too!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Given the heading I don't really think this was an article on VR, but the comments are much better than I would have expected to be honest.
And I agree - this is a good sign for a polished kickstarter!
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Yes, good day today - coverage by NBC News and PC Gamer:

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/in-game/51010333/#51010333

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/01/skyri ... treadmill/

I received a couple of other press inquiries for interviews next week. Things are snow balling. Good motivator to keep working hard every day to improve the Omni and get it to VR and gaming enthusiasts!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

JanVR wrote:Yes, good day today - coverage by NBC News and PC Gamer:

I received a couple of other press inquiries for interviews next week. Things are snow balling. Good motivator to keep working hard every day to improve the Omni and get it to VR and gaming enthusiasts!
That is awesome! I love to read the comments ... some are lazy gamers, but others are really up for this. Good luck man!

And don't forget to offer an alternative to kickstarter for those without a credit card ;)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Congratulations man! Great coverage.
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

I am super excited to see your progress on the Omni. I sit down all day at a PC to work so to be able to get up and run around when gaming is a big plus for me.

And to see it getting press releases already, congratulations. I can't wait to support your kickstarter and have one of these in my gaming room.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Some interesting comments Jan posted today at the unofficial "Oculus Rift Community Forums":

"The new prototype will have a 48" diameter."
http://oculusrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 6000#p5987

"Picture of new prototype should come as soon as early next week. "
http://oculusrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 6000#p6000

:woot
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

GeraldT wrote:

That is awesome! I love to read the comments ... some are lazy gamers, but others are really up for this. Good luck man!

And don't forget to offer an alternative to kickstarter for those without a credit card ;)
Also PC Games Hardware, a german pc magazine published an article about it on their website.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Kickstart ... r-1058541/
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

when will the kickstarter start?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

colocolo wrote:Also PC Games Hardware, a german pc magazine published an article about it on their website.
Nice find - also a nice news article. Comments are promising:

"Meine Gebete wurden erhöhrt, das ding is ja mega genial NEEED!!! "

my prayers have been answered, that thing is mega ingenius NEEED!!! (sounds like you have at least one potential customer in Germany ;) )
TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

Keep up the great work Jan! I'm clearing out space in my house as we speak :lol:
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

colocolo wrote:Also PC Games Hardware, a german pc magazine published an article about it on their website.
Google Chrome's English translation is hilarious:

"Thanks to Kinect touches the young man that the videos show below, with his own legs through the vastness of Skyrim." :lol:
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Kirito wrote:when will the kickstarter start?
probably in a couple of months. Don't wanna say more if Jan isn't disclosing dates :)
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

ftarnogol wrote:
probably in a couple of months. Don't wanna say more if Jan isn't disclosing dates :)
aww to bad
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

ftarnogol wrote:
Interesting. Are you working with him?
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Trying to get the Kickstarter going as fast as possible, but preparing for shooting the video + interviews, and then the actual production of the video will take time... It's unfortunate that video production houses don't work around the clock as I do, ha.

Some more press coverage today:

http://www.jacehallshow.com/news/interv ... interview/

http://babysoftmurderhands.com/2013/03/ ... tuix-omni/
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

This is great Jan! I really like the new prototype, it looks much more polished and compact. 8-)

One question though: it seems like there is large area between each of the octagon's sections where there are no grooves. What happens if the user steps on those flat areas? Perhaps you can reduce the groove-less gaps in the next prototype?

Thanks
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I really like the press photos of the new prototype:

ImageImage
I did a cross-eyed stereoscopic view of these images.
If you tilt your head a little to the left (just right),
it looks pretty good in 3D (except for the gate).

I am looking forward to owning one of these some day. ;)
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Hi Zoide, good question. There is indeed somewhat of a gap in between sections in the current prototype, since the prototype consists of wood and screws (the gap is the required space for the screws). However, functionally, this does not bother (even though the fewer screws, the better). Luckily, the final product will be molded and won't have any screws, so this problem won't exist.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Where do you get your groovy plastic?

When a hippie sees you on one of these, and says "That's groovy dude!", it will mean a whole new thing... :lol:
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

JanVR wrote:Hi Zoide, good question. There is indeed somewhat of a gap in between sections in the current prototype, since the prototype consists of wood and screws (the gap is the required space for the screws). However, functionally, this does not bother (even though the fewer screws, the better). Luckily, the final product will be molded and won't have any screws, so this problem won't exist.
what do you mean by molded? steel?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

colocolo wrote:
JanVR wrote:Hi Zoide, good question. There is indeed somewhat of a gap in between sections in the current prototype, since the prototype consists of wood and screws (the gap is the required space for the screws). However, functionally, this does not bother (even though the fewer screws, the better). Luckily, the final product will be molded and won't have any screws, so this problem won't exist.
what do you mean by molded? steel?
"Molded", as in plastic extruded into molds, just like most plastic objects we see around us. For example, the plastic parts for the shell of the Oculus Rift are injection molded into these tooling molds:

ImageImage

Plastic and steel use different terminologies. When steel is poured into molds, it is "cast". And for finer detail, it is then "machined". Final detail on plastic is not "machined", but is instead "pressed", such as when pressing grooves into CDs or DVDs or Blu-Ray or holograms.

The Virtuix Omni will need something similar to what is shown in the photos above, to mold its plastic parts, including the grooved floor panel(s).
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Zoide wrote:
ftarnogol wrote:
Interesting. Are you working with him?
Nope, we've been talking back and forth as both our "products" complement themselves and we were planning to launch the Kickstarter around the same date.

I finally decided not to use kickstarter for now as my project is more oriented to scientific development/psych treatments and kickstarter is more commercially oriented. I'll probably be using microryza or indiegogo.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

ftarnogol wrote:Nope, we've been talking back and forth as both our "products" complement themselves and we were planning to launch the Kickstarter around the same date.

I finally decided not to use kickstarter for now as my project is more oriented to scientific development/psych treatments and kickstarter is more commercially oriented. I'll probably be using microryza or indiegogo.
Ah! I see now, you're the guy with the VR exposure therapy project :) I'd love it if your project could help me get over my irrational fear of cockroaches! (I'm serious)
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Ah, that's good to know :)

Another thing I noticed is that the groove-less area in the middle of the latest Omni prototype is fairly large. I take it this area is needed so that you can support your body with one foot while you move the other one forward. I wonder though: what do you do with the pin on the shoe that stays back in the groove-less area? I suppose there's nowhere for it to fit into. Does that mean that that foot is propped up on the pin? How long is the pin? It seems like that could cause some discomfort.

Perhaps the center region could consist of a series of hard bristles or pins such that the shoe sole's pin fits in between them but the rest of the shoe does not sink. Perhaps something similar to artificial grass or to plastic dart boards. An even cheaper solution which might be the ideal one is the use of some kinds of door mats.
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Zoide wrote:
ftarnogol wrote:Nope, we've been talking back and forth as both our "products" complement themselves and we were planning to launch the Kickstarter around the same date.

Ah! I see now, you're the guy with the VR exposure therapy project :) I'd love it if your project could help me get over my irrational fear of cockroaches! (I'm serious)

Hey Zoide, yup, that's me :mrgreen:

For v1.0 I'll just "feature" spiders, but it's a matter of adding other animals in subsequent iterations. Cockroaches and pigeons are at the top of the list :mrgreen:
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

ftarnogol wrote:Hey Zoide, yup, that's me :mrgreen:

For v1.0 I'll just "feature" spiders, but it's a matter of adding other animals in subsequent iterations. Cockroaches and pigeons are at the top of the list :mrgreen:
Pigeons? I had no idea people were afraid of those :P I do avoid them because I've heard that they spread a lot of diseases. It really bothers me that people feed them breadcrumbs at the outdoor areas of the hospital I go to :evil:
Last edited by Zoide on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”