remote control VR

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

remote control VR

Post by Mystify »

Take a 3d camera
mount it on a remote control plane/helicopter/whatever
stream video back to your HMD while you remote control the plane

Does anyone know how well this would work?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: remote control VR

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, its called FPV (first person view) and it is pretty popular on some forums.

Not sure if anyone has done this with a 3D camera, all the videos I've seen were using 2D.

But it would be pretty cool, I'd like to try this some day.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, its called FPV (first person view) and it is pretty popular on some forums.

Not sure if anyone has done this with a 3D camera, all the videos I've seen were using 2D.

But it would be pretty cool, I'd like to try this some day.
I love FPV. I bought the equipment. Now I just need the time. This is what it is all about:

[youtube-hd]www.youtube.com/watch?v=K75ZnxR66Uo[/youtube-hd]

I even have the servo-driven pan and tilt camera mount to install in my FPV plane, which would be great controlled by the Oculus Rift head tracking.

I plan to use my Rift for FPV and gaming. Perhaps I need two of them. :P

Here is another little taste of this addiction:

[youtube-hd]www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrpiluwrgSw[/youtube-hd]
Last edited by geekmaster on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

That does look pretty awesome. What kind of range can you pull off with those?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Mystify wrote:That does look pretty awesome. What kind of range can you pull off with those?
Trappy and RiSCyD did 87 Km in April 2011. I am not aware of anything with more range than that. More info (with vimeo video) here:

In the following URL, please change "+New+" to "-New-". If I change either of them to "-", the MTBS3D forum software changes everything from "?" to "%" into "GofOFSPandex". WTF is up with that?

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php ... %3B86.93km

It even changes the phrase between "?" to "%" into GodOFSPandex inside CODE tags, which is a huge FUBAR in my book...

Here is that SAME URL with both "+" changed to "-":

Which MTBS3D website coder has a Spandex fetish?

For those who do not want to edit that URL, here is a different FPV flight that flew out 80 Km and back, using solar cells on the wings to assist:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDfkjGNWSQ[/youtube]
Last edited by geekmaster on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

The url works with +New+

That is pretty awesome. What types of latencies do you get?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Mystify wrote:The url works with +New+

That is pretty awesome. What types of latencies do you get?
It is awesome that the fpv website compensates for the URL fubar here...

I have not personally flown FPV yet. I still have to assemble my equipment that is still in kit form.

The video cameras are analog output and the radio transmission is analog, so there should be less than a single scanline (64 microseconds) latency, plus whatever is in the HMD. Of course, the latency of moving a pan and tilt camera would depend on how powerful the servomotors are that you mounted on it. And the responsiveness of the airplane (using a fixed camera) would determine any physical motive latency. It takes skill to fly highly responsive aircraft. For beginners, you want a fairly slow plane with slow and gently responsiveness.

This MTBS3D website still needs its text altering bug fixed. It changed the phrase between ? and % into GodOFSPandex even standalone (not in a URL. What will it do to embedded code? I have embedded a LOT of code in posts in the mobileread forums, and I will probably do that here to, if this flaky edit box code does not thwart my efforts...

Just for reference, the mobileread.com web master had to fix some of their code that was displaying my code incorrectly inside CODE tags as well, so MTBS3D is not alone in that regard... But breaking URLs is sure annoying. The original URL above did NOT have any "+" in it...

FYI: For long distance, you need high power transmitters, and a license to operate them (which I have). But the new regulations here in the USA require people keeping their eyes on the plane at all times (a non-FPV spotter). In the case of those long distance flights, they had (in some documented cases) spotters in moving vehicles (chase team) keeping track of the plane, with the ability to take over remote control if needed.
Last edited by geekmaster on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

test:
yeah, it does it to me too. That is really odd.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Your link is another "GodOFSpandex" link too. It even puts GodOFSpandex inside CODE tags. That really needs to be repaired before I get bitten by it breaking any code that I post here...

Some programmer of the forum software used here must have a Spandex fetish and a sick sense of humor...
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I have used FPV in a remote control car inside my house. I have a small single-eye monochrome "HMD". I was driving my car into different rooms, under a bed, etc. Then when I re-entered my living room (while home alone) I just about jumped out of my skin when I saw a stranger sitting on my sofa. It took a short moment to realize that that stranger was my body (my consciousness was in the car). It took much longer for the adrenaline to subside. I would call that an immersive experience, even with a single eye display, no color, narrow FOV, and no head tracking:

With the Rift it can only get better than that...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@geekmaster: I will talk to Neil about the Spandex filter. It was originally supposed to filter out "bad" words, but it seems to be overzealous.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cybereality wrote:@geekmaster: I will talk to Neil about the Spandex filter. It was originally supposed to filter out "bad" words, but it seems to be overzealous.
So, are you saying that Neil is the "God Of Spandex"? :lol:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hahah!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That thread right there is comedy gold.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Yes 3D fpv has been done. Go to "rcgroups" forum, lots of info there.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
Sid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sid »

I thought this technology was interesting-
http://thechive.com/2012/11/29/this-360 ... ind-video/

Would be great to integrate with vr headsets and create something akin to virtual tours.
drifter
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by drifter »

these FPV videos are so mesmeric

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsrzBwylodU#![/youtube-hd]
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cSxEqKQ78[/youtube-hd]

Rift + motorized helmet cam is the future
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

The interesting thing about VR is we can do a reasonable job of recreating this FPV experience in VR without fear of losing our precious aircraft and video gear.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

with Oculus, the fpv would be so so awesome, may be look like you was really flying in the real world!!!
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Replace the camera with this: (forgot who linked me to this but it was on MTBS)

6.5cm IPD, replace the lenses with some kind of fisheye (like from a door peep hole) to compensate for the Rift optics, then BE THE PLANE.

If you did it lying on your front with a desk-fan blowing in your face you'd feel like freaking superman, flying around the statue of liberty (or your local water-tower).
drifter

Post by drifter »

Diorama wrote:BE THE PLANE.
A very robust plane then :) (like those in foam)
for the better stereo effect possible i would always buzz the ground like madness (this plus the thrill of speed, the low res, the facility of piloting in FPV...)
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

haha thats awesome, I've wanted to try this for a while now, and been reading up some.. It's not exactly straightforward to get up and running. not to mention that there is quite a bit of skill needed to fly these little beasts to begin with, let alone fly them first person.

and yea, the rcgroups forums are a great resource with nearly as many helpful people as here :)
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
drifter

Post by drifter »

dbuckvs wrote:not to mention that there is quite a bit of skill needed to fly these little beasts to begin with, let alone fly them first person.
why "let alone", for me it's more easy in FPV.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Put a camera into the cockpit of a rc jet ,move the camera by your head movement and the plane by a joystick. :ugeek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”