Interesting AR 'vision' video

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Interesting AR 'vision' video

Post by Cromfel »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8xgYcoH0tA

Thats quite well made AR video. Some things to catch up on the tracking side and on the display but it provided quite smile :D
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Interesting AR 'vision' video

Post by lnrrgb »

made me wonder when they'll roll out simulview movies in theaters equipped with 3D. might be interesteing if the glasses could be triggered back and forth, to watch the same movie from different perspectives... from perhaps two characters viewpoints... or maybe from two directors viewpoints/styles.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Cool video; a bit closer to Brave New World than I hope we actually end up, though!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

That free fall game from 0:31 to 0:51 looks like a very good candidate for the Rift. It would even be better with something like a Kinect for the controls, too bad there's so much latency with it. But even with a Wiimote and Nunchuck it could be a lot of fun.

Last edited by Fredz on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Cool.

Also, the free-falling would be great on the Rift. In fact, the game AaaaAAA!!! is very similar to this, and I already got it working with my Rift driver:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhM0qVMhoPA[/youtube]
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Am I the only person who thought it seemed really creepy?
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

android78 wrote:Am I the only person who thought it seemed really creepy?
That's what made it a good story! It's also a warning about the potential detrimental societal effects of hard AR.

Not like any of us care about those things. GO AR!
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Well, I think it was supposed to be creepy, and I think the film makers' criticism is valid. But the vision of the technology was pretty cool.
Callezetter
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Callezetter »

I wonder what the falling game in the beginning is?
Or if its just an imaginary game, or a real title?
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Well, you had to fly through rings... Superman 64?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Seems a direct ripoff of that AaAaAA!!! game, but they did a pretty good job with the realistic rendering. Cyber since you've already got this game, how do the controls work ? Also, do you think the use of some inertial input (Wiimote + Nunchuck, Kinect, Razer Hydra, Gametrak) could be an improvement for maximal immersion ?
Zaptruder
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zaptruder »

FingerFlinger wrote:Well, I think it was supposed to be creepy, and I think the film makers' criticism is valid. But the vision of the technology was pretty cool.
I think the film maker's criticism is about as valid as The Matrix's criticism for VR.

i.e. an story driven excuse to use AR/VR as a framework to drive a plot idea.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

I am legitimately concerned that people are becoming too wrapped up in their own isolated worlds due to technology. I interpreted the movie as a metaphor for that issue, not a literal prediction of the future. The little brain control thing at the end was pretty ham-handed IMO.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Fredz: The controls are mostly the mouse, so it would work well with head-tracking. You also need the WASD keys, but that could easily be subbed with a wireless controller with key-bindings (the PS Move Navigator would work well for this).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:Also, the free-falling would be great on the Rift. In fact, the game AaaaAAA!!! is very similar to this, and I already got it working with my Rift driver
I just installed Steam on my Linux machine and found a new version of that game with better graphics and more varied and realistic environments. It's getting closer to that AR video, weird that it's not even mentioned on Wikipedia.

It's called AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome, here is a video :

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaNKYCKlwI[/youtube-hd]
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I've got that game too but I haven't played it yet. Looks cool.
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

It's also a unity game, and those guys are pretty badass cool (Met them at Unite this year), so maybe we can get or help build something direct once the rift arrives.
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

It would be nice, I emailed them the link to the AR video but I completely forgot to tell them about the Rift. Very stupid since that's why I got interested in their games in the first place. Maybe someone who tested the Rift could tell them about it to see if they would be interested to adapt their games for it.
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

FingerFlinger wrote:I am legitimately concerned that people are becoming too wrapped up in their own isolated worlds due to technology. I interpreted the movie as a metaphor for that issue, not a literal prediction of the future. The little brain control thing at the end was pretty ham-handed IMO.
I'm not so sure it was brain control. When he said something about altering/accessing profile, I realized it was an AI that had become a bit too aware. Dating App? Yeah, comes with a date...which is why he could pause her in the first place. She wasn't real...and therein lies the catalyst of the question, how far is too far?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”