HMD Tri screen setups

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
StreetRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

HMD Tri screen setups

Post by StreetRat »

I have a single Nvidia GTX 580 card which can only out put to a maximum of 2 monitors at once. Dosent matter if there cloned separated or whatever.
It has 2 dual dvi ports and 1 1.4a hdmi port.

My problem is, i already run dual screen on the dvis so i cant run anything on the hdmi.
Using something like Sonys HMZ that requires hdmi to run, what possible setups are available?

Would something like a dvi splitter from the primary screen, then a dvi to hdmi converter going to the HMD work? has anyone tried this?
Would the main screen still run ok (albeit now its cloned the res would need to change for it to work) or would the HMD not even be picked up since its now sharing the output?

Although getting a second card is possible itll have to be another 580 so i could use it in sli mode, and that would probably require a new power supply which would mean no cash for the HMD.

Are there any other HMDs on the horizon that dont require hdmi that would be better? or any other suggestions or setups people can come up with?
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: HMD Tri screen setups

Post by PalmerTech »

A splitter should work fine as long as the resolution being output is supported by both the HMD and the monitor.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Another option is sell your GTX 580 and get the GTX 680 (which support quad output - 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort). You don't need to get another PSU as 680 power requirement is lower plus the performance is on par with GTX 590.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I have a similar setup, works good. I have a GTX 470 with dual DVI and one HDMI output. Normally I run dual DVI monitors. I can have the HMZ additionally plugged in via HDMI (but off). When I press the 'on' button on the HMZ the video display on Windows automatically switches to 720P mode, turns off the 2nd monitor, and mirrors the HMZ onto the main monitor (at 720P). When I press 'off' then the dual monitors return to 1080P dual display mode. Works like a charm.
StreetRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by StreetRat »

PalmerTech: Thats what i was hoping for.
Would that cause issues with the hdmi 1.4a requirement of the HMDs for 3d though? or is that only a problem with the output signal from a device rather than the input to the HMD. Never really payed much attention to hdmi, always seemed like a sub par standard, designed for ease of use rather than functionality.

pierreye: Thanks for that, didnt realize it was able to support 4 screens. I did look at the 680 not too long ago for something else, but its overall performance wasnt much better than what i had, so i never thought of it again. The extra outputs just might put it back on the table.

cybereality: cool, i was worried id have to unplug and plug in the different monitors, but if i can just turn one off and another on and itll jump the signal between the two then thatll work out rather nice. hmm, i might give that ago with my tv and see if it works as expected.

Seems i have more options than i thought. thanks.

----
Edit: Thanks cybereality that works, for the most part. Using my tv as an example, plugging it in to hdmi works without needing a restart. (i always thought with vga/dvi/hdmi the pc had to be off, but it seems dvi/hdmi are plug and play)
Although i had to unplug the cable from my tv for it to go back to my screen.
Guess it wouldent be any different leaving the cable from the pc to the box plugged in and just unplugging it from the box when not needed.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”