What it looks like through Vuzix's new SMART AR Glasses

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

What it looks like through Vuzix's new SMART AR Glasses

Post by benz145 »

Vuzix is apparently making good progress on their forthcoming 'SMART Glasses' which are augmented reality glasses that use optical engines and waveguides enabling a very compact and lightweight AR display. What they are showing looks very close to standard sunglasses. The company is saying that they could have these on the marker in 6 months while the industrial monocular version should be shipping at the end of this month! Lot's more detail here:

http://www.roadtovr.com/2012/10/14/vuzi ... asses-1566
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: What it looks like through Vuzix's new SMART AR Glasses

Post by cybereality »

This looks pretty cool. Although personally would like to see more wide FOV types for VR, I think AR has probably greater potential for commercial success. I hope Vuzix can pull off what they want, and make a unit that is as small as the non-working prototype they have been showing.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

They actually seem really cool. If they can increase the FOV, while keeping the cost to a minimum, I can see them really becoming the next must-have for portable interface.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

What would be great is if Google licensed this tech for their Google Glass project, seems like a good fit.
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

cybereality wrote:What would be great is if Google licensed this tech for their Google Glass project, seems like a good fit.
I'm pretty sure Glass is using the same optical engine + waveguide approach, their's just looks quite a bit different.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”