Wrap 1200 (+VGA Adaptor) first thoughts

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Wrap 1200 (+VGA Adaptor) first thoughts

Post by ShawmK »

Well, it finally arrived! And thankfully, it seems to be undamaged and with no defects that I can detect. I've been playing with it for the past few hours, so here is my initial reaction.

The good news is that Vuzix have made a number of significant improvements when compared to the Wrap 920. The picture is definitely sharper and clearer - I think they have paid close attention to the scaling of different resolutions because the image quality is definitely more satisfying than it was on the older model. The image on the 920 always had a tendency to get dark in the upper and lower corners of the screen (the upper corner of the left image and the lower corner of the right image) but that problem has happily been solved with the 1200; the contrast and brightness are even across both displays, which makes adjusting the image quality much easier. Adjusting the 920 was always a study in compromise: trying to find a level where the corners weren't too dark and the middle wasn't washed out. Solving that headache may well be the single biggest improvement of the 1200, in my opinion.

The image seems generally sharper and cleaner on this model, and not just because of the slightly higher resolution. On the 920 I always found the NTSC image to be superior to the PAL image, which tended to be a bit fuzzy and less defined (this may be related to scaling again: mapping a 720x576 image onto a 640x480 display). When I tried PAL DVDs and television signals on the 1200 the image was significantly sharper and cleaner - it was quite gratifying. Also the 920 always had a bit of a problem with side-by-side 3D in PAL - there was always a distortion on the edge of the right-hand display (that was not there with NTSC 3D). There is no sign of that distortion with the 1200, I'm happy to say.

Vuzix have added Component Video connection to the 1200, which worked fine when I tried it; the unit recognised the signal immediately and displayed a good image with no difficulty. It may not have HDMI, but component video is certainly useful.

The basic 1200 model does not come with the VGA adaptor, but I already had the VGA cable from the 920, and it connected to that perfectly. Again, the image is significantly better than the 920 could produce when connected via VGA. The 920 could only handle a maximum resolution of 1024x768, and even then had a good deal of distortion and interference. I usually set the computer to 800x600 as a decent compromise; the 920 scaled that rather better. The 1200 displays a crisp clean image at 1280x720. I was able to use Stereoscopic Player for photos and videos and the 3D image was excellent. Reading text was not so good, unfortunately. the 852x480 display is a bit too low to make out the fine print on most websites (I would have no hope of reading messages on this forum, for example) but in fairness, Vuzix do not recommend using these sets as replacement computer monitors. If you lower the resolution the text becomes readable, but unfortunately all the standard settings (800x600, 1024x768) have the wrong aspect ratio, so that doesn't really solve anything. I have an Acer Pico Projector that uses the same 852x480 resolution, and that has exactly the same difficulty with text. This isn't purely the fault of Vuzix, at least!

For use as a video monitor, the increase in resolution to 852x480 is surprisingly dramatic. Since most broadcast television is 16x9 these days, images on the Wrap 920 had to be letterboxed, which meant you were wasting an awful lot of pixels. Rather than using the 640x480 display, you were essentially using a 640x360 display. For 16:9 source material, even the Headplay was only utilising a resolution of 800x450 - the remaining pixels went to waste in the letterboxed area. For widescreen video, the 1200 really does look good. It may not be HD, but it is better than most of the other headsets I have tried.

Now for the bad news:

Although the image quality is really very good, I'm afraid the same cannot be said for the lenses. It's almost as if Vuzix chose lenses that are a fraction too small for the displays behind them. The Headplay had the same problem; the displays (although very good) were very fuzzy around the edges. The bizarre part about the lenses on the Wrap 1200 is that they are actually smaller than the lenses used on the Wrap 920. Here is a side by side comparison - the 1200 is on top and the 920 is below:

Being able to adjust the IPD helps, but even so, I found it very difficult to get the two lenses centred so that they are both sharply in focus from edge to edge. Also, the nose-piece is an instrument of torture; I still have not been able to get it adjusted to my satisfaction. If I remove it completely, I can position the lenses by hand so that the image is perfect, but I have not yet been able to bend the nose clips so that they hold the unit in that position. I remember I had the same trouble with the 920 when I first bought it (and of course the two nose-pieces are different, so I can't just put the old one into the 1200 :evil:). I don't know why Vuzix has such trouble designing a comfortable nose-piece; Ziess can do it, Olympus could do it, why not Vuzix?

I'm going to keep experimenting with the 1200 for the next few days, but so far (on balance) I am mostly happy to have bought it. For my purposes the widescreen display and the improved image quality make it a satisfying upgrade to the Wrap 920. If the lenses had been better (if they were even as good as the lenses on the 920!) I would be completely happy with it. Unfortunately for Vuzix, I think both Zeiss and Sony are going to cast some very long shadows over their new release.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Wrap 1200 (+VGA Adaptor) first thoughts

Post by 3dvison »

Hi ShawmK,
Thanks for the review.
So what is the highest resolution you can use with a computer and still be able to read text ? Is it 800*600 like with the old 920 or is that resolution no good with the 1200 because of the new 16:9 ratio screens ?
I was so hoping 1024*768 or 1280*720 would be clear enough for text with the 1200, but it sounds like it is not..

Last thing...
So for movies does it feel like you are looking at a big screen ? How big did the screen seem and far from the screen did you feel you were ? Does the 1200 screen seem much bigger than the 920 did ?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Thanks for this.

I am a little disappointed with how the optics look. That was my main complaint about the VR920, which was fixed with the Wrap (at least Wrap 310). Why would they go backwards?!? I really hope its not as bad as I think, I guess I will find out in a few days. About the resolution scaling, that is about what I expected. I mean, I was really hoping 720P would be usable in Windows, but I you you have to be realistic. It is 854x480 we are talking about. I bet 720P will still look fine for games/movies. Can't wait to try this out for myself. Only a few more days...
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

3dvision - text is readable at 800x600, but the Aspect Ratio is wrong. If you don't mind putting up with that then it can be used for web browsing etc. You can also set the aspect ratio to 4:3 on the 1200, but then you may as well just use the 920! It's a pity Windows doesn't offer a standard 16:9 option at a slightly lower resolution.

For movies the screen does feel quite large. The vertical FOV is about the same as the 920, but the horizontal FOV is much larger. Comparing a letterboxed 16:9 image on the 920 to a full-screen image on the 1200, the difference is quite satisfying. When I sit at my desk in front of my 22" computer monitor, the image on the 1200 is a bit larger.

Cybereality - I'm curious to see what you think when yours arrives; for me the image is much better than the 920, but the lenses are worse. Everyone's eyes are different, though, so you might find them easier to adjust...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

ShawmK wrote:It's a pity Windows doesn't offer a standard 16:9 option at a slightly lower resolution.
Doesn't the HMD expose its native resolution through EDID ? You should be able to use this resolution in Windows, no ?
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

ShawmK wrote:It's a pity Windows doesn't offer a standard 16:9 option at a slightly lower resolution.
I have been able to use several pico projectors at their native resolution of 848x480 and 852x480 in Windows 7. Have you tried forcing that resolution? You might have to set it as your primary display, not cloning your other monitor, then go into the advanced video settings for screen resolution.

It really should auto-identify, though. :-/ Sounds like a pretty steep learning curve for the average consumer, but your review makes it sound like a good device for us enthusiasts. :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I did notice on the Vuzix website it does not list the devices native resolution as an option, but I find it hard to believe you can't get it to work somehow. Maybe you have to make a custom resolution or use a 3rd party tool like RivaTuner or something.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

I've just checked the available resolutions, and 854x480 is not available as an option. When connected to a Windows 7 PC, the recommended resolution comes up as 1280x720. Lower than that, all the options listed are 4:3 ratio, down to 640x480. I could probably install software to create custom resolutions, but I doubt if I will bother, to be honest. 1280x720 is perfectly fine for graphics and images.

I've given up with the nose-piece, by the way. There is absolutely no way I can find to adjust it so the image is viewable. I've just removed it permanently and I'm holding the unit in place with a lanyard strap (appropriately enough, the one that came with the Vuzix AV920). Because the lenses are smaller than on the previous model, you need them to sit closer to your eyes in order to see the entire screen, and there seems to be no way to do that when the nose-piece is there. I can't imagine anyone would be able to use these over eyeglasses; the lenses would just be too far away. Hopefully the focus is adjustable enough to accommodate most prescriptions.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

ShawmK wrote:Because the lenses are smaller than on the previous model, you need them to sit closer to your eyes in order to see the entire screen.
I remember a post from someone who worked for Vuzix, saying you will be able to wear the 1200 closer to the face, closer than you could with the older Wrap models. I just did not know you were going to have to wear them that close, whether you like it or not.

My guess would be, they had to make trade offs because of how exit pupil works in optics.
They went for a shorter exit pupil on these smaller optics probably because they had sharper edge to edge focus than with the longer exit pupil, wider lenses, used on the past Wrap models.
I don't know alot about optics so this could be wrong.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ShawmK wrote:Well, it finally arrived! And thankfully, it seems to be undamaged and with no defects that I can detect. I've been playing with it for the past few hours, so here is my initial reaction.

The good news is that Vuzix have made a number of significant improvements when compared to the Wrap 920. The picture is definitely sharper and clearer - I think they have paid close attention to the scaling of different resolutions because the image quality is definitely more satisfying than it was on the older model. The image on the 920 always had a tendency to get dark in the upper and lower corners of the screen (the upper corner of the left image and the lower corner of the right image) but that problem has happily been solved with the 1200; the contrast and brightness are even across both displays, which makes adjusting the image quality much easier. Adjusting the 920 was always a study in compromise: trying to find a level where the corners weren't too dark and the middle wasn't washed out. Solving that headache may well be the single biggest improvement of the 1200, in my opinion.

The image seems generally sharper and cleaner on this model, and not just because of the slightly higher resolution. On the 920 I always found the NTSC image to be superior to the PAL image, which tended to be a bit fuzzy and less defined (this may be related to scaling again: mapping a 720x576 image onto a 640x480 display). When I tried PAL DVDs and television signals on the 1200 the image was significantly sharper and cleaner - it was quite gratifying. Also the 920 always had a bit of a problem with side-by-side 3D in PAL - there was always a distortion on the edge of the right-hand display (that was not there with NTSC 3D). There is no sign of that distortion with the 1200, I'm happy to say.

Vuzix have added Component Video connection to the 1200, which worked fine when I tried it; the unit recognised the signal immediately and displayed a good image with no difficulty. It may not have HDMI, but component video is certainly useful.

The basic 1200 model does not come with the VGA adaptor, but I already had the VGA cable from the 920, and it connected to that perfectly. Again, the image is significantly better than the 920 could produce when connected via VGA. The 920 could only handle a maximum resolution of 1024x768, and even then had a good deal of distortion and interference. I usually set the computer to 800x600 as a decent compromise; the 920 scaled that rather better. The 1200 displays a crisp clean image at 1280x720. I was able to use Stereoscopic Player for photos and videos and the 3D image was excellent. Reading text was not so good, unfortunately. the 852x480 display is a bit too low to make out the fine print on most websites (I would have no hope of reading messages on this forum, for example) but in fairness, Vuzix do not recommend using these sets as replacement computer monitors. If you lower the resolution the text becomes readable, but unfortunately all the standard settings (800x600, 1024x768) have the wrong aspect ratio, so that doesn't really solve anything. I have an Acer Pico Projector that uses the same 852x480 resolution, and that has exactly the same difficulty with text. This isn't purely the fault of Vuzix, at least!

For use as a video monitor, the increase in resolution to 852x480 is surprisingly dramatic. Since most broadcast television is 16x9 these days, images on the Wrap 920 had to be letterboxed, which meant you were wasting an awful lot of pixels. Rather than using the 640x480 display, you were essentially using a 640x360 display. For 16:9 source material, even the Headplay was only utilising a resolution of 800x450 - the remaining pixels went to waste in the letterboxed area. For widescreen video, the 1200 really does look good. It may not be HD, but it is better than most of the other headsets I have tried.

Now for the bad news:

Although the image quality is really very good, I'm afraid the same cannot be said for the lenses. It's almost as if Vuzix chose lenses that are a fraction too small for the displays behind them. The Headplay had the same problem; the displays (although very good) were very fuzzy around the edges. The bizarre part about the lenses on the Wrap 1200 is that they are actually smaller than the lenses used on the Wrap 920. Here is a side by side comparison - the 1200 is on top and the 920 is below:

Being able to adjust the IPD helps, but even so, I found it very difficult to get the two lenses centred so that they are both sharply in focus from edge to edge. Also, the nose-piece is an instrument of torture; I still have not been able to get it adjusted to my satisfaction. If I remove it completely, I can position the lenses by hand so that the image is perfect, but I have not yet been able to bend the nose clips so that they hold the unit in that position. I remember I had the same trouble with the 920 when I first bought it (and of course the two nose-pieces are different, so I can't just put the old one into the 1200 :evil:). I don't know why Vuzix has such trouble designing a comfortable nose-piece; Ziess can do it, Olympus could do it, why not Vuzix?

I'm going to keep experimenting with the 1200 for the next few days, but so far (on balance) I am mostly happy to have bought it. For my purposes the widescreen display and the improved image quality make it a satisfying upgrade to the Wrap 920. If the lenses had been better (if they were even as good as the lenses on the 920!) I would be completely happy with it. Unfortunately for Vuzix, I think both Zeiss and Sony are going to cast some very long shadows over their new release.
ShawmK - thanks for the review
how many HMDs you have tried so far ?
did you try headplay since it's mentioned in your review ,i hope you did try it ?

for me headplay only suffered from the following :
1)highly reflective screen - gotta look head-on else black spots on the screen area
2)eye-pieces small just only letting you 'peep' into the screens from edge-to-edge
3)tad heavy
4)lack of modern 3D support
5)no way to block outside light unless you try mods available at fpv-plastics.com
6)difficult to position with that 'golfing' hat - have to make effort to get the 'optimum' pic

best part - they are 'generic pul'n'play' on win 7 HP PC with nividia ion2 auto detect 800x600 native

also i can do custom 800x600 load on my nettop using the edid softwares but i want the flexibility in using 800x600 and 1024x768 at times using headplay hence gave up the custom resolution reset - 800x600 for both headplay and emagin!

the screen was a perfect rectangle - no fuzzy edges after doing the IPD - frankly if you able to mount it correctly then it's 'treat' for the eyes....beats the emagin z800 into oblivion ignoring FOV differences

if you have headplay - can you compare image quality with that on headplay....i am very curious regd that ! please

for the reasons 1) thru 6) i feel disappointed with headplay hence thinking of trying wrap 1200 + VGA combo with lightshield

btw - did u try lightshield with wrap 1200 +VGA i think it'd be immersible movie viewing

look forward to your observations further
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Ancjob, I've gone through many, many HMDs over the years! I recently posted a thread about them here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 23&start=0

I also almost had the emagin; I got one for a good price on Ebay, but it turned out to be faulty, so it went back. :(

It's hard to compare the Wrap 1200 and the Headplay directly - they are very different from each other. Which one you think is better will depend on your specific needs. I agree with your points about the Headplay's problems; I have exactly the same issues. Also I found the Headplay wasn't very good with video sources. It was great with VGA, but it had a very hard time with NTSC and PAL material, whether it was connected through composite, component or S-video.

In terms of picture quality, I find the colours are better on the Headplay - that was its big advantage. The colours on the Vuzix are fine, but they aren't quite as deep and rich. There is also no real prospect of using the Vuzix as a computer monitor. It is plug-and-play, but when set to 1280x720, the text is too small to read. Text is clearer in 800x600 or 1024x768, but then the aspect ratio is wrong, so you really can't win.

I haven't tried the Vuzix lightshield personally, but I haven't really missed it either. The display on the 1200 sits much lower in your field of vision than the display on the 920 was - with the 920 you always felt you were looking "up" at the screen; with the 1200 you are looking "down". As a result, the 1200 blocks off a good deal of the outside world all by itself. I never use HMDs in public (not because I'm embarrassed, just for Health & Safety reasons) so if I want a bit more isolation while using them, I just turn the lights down. If anything, I have been finding that the 1200 blocks off a little too much of your view sometimes; when connected to my laptop, I use them in "extended monitor" mode and it's actually difficult to see the main screen when you're wearing them.

3D is definitely better on the 1200 than it is on the Headplay. Far a start, side-by-side mode is usable in far more situations, but also I always found there was noticeable ghosting on the Headplay in 3D. There is no excuse for ghosting on a head-mounted display, in my opinion.

I am enjoying the 1200, and I am very happy to have it, but my advice would be if you want to upgrade from the Headplay, you might wait for the Cinemizer. I'm still hoping that will be the best of all possible worlds.

And then of course, there's Sony.... :lol:
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ShawmK wrote:Ancjob, I've gone through many, many HMDs over the years! I recently posted a thread about them here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 23&start=0

I also almost had the emagin; I got one for a good price on Ebay, but it turned out to be faulty, so it went back. :(

It's hard to compare the Wrap 1200 and the Headplay directly - they are very different from each other. Which one you think is better will depend on your specific needs. I agree with your points about the Headplay's problems; I have exactly the same issues. Also I found the Headplay wasn't very good with video sources. It was great with VGA, but it had a very hard time with NTSC and PAL material, whether it was connected through composite, component or S-video.

In terms of picture quality, I find the colours are better on the Headplay - that was its big advantage. The colours on the Vuzix are fine, but they aren't quite as deep and rich. There is also no real prospect of using the Vuzix as a computer monitor. It is plug-and-play, but when set to 1280x720, the text is too small to read. Text is clearer in 800x600 or 1024x768, but then the aspect ratio is wrong, so you really can't win.

I haven't tried the Vuzix lightshield personally, but I haven't really missed it either. The display on the 1200 sits much lower in your field of vision than the display on the 920 was - with the 920 you always felt you were looking "up" at the screen; with the 1200 you are looking "down". As a result, the 1200 blocks off a good deal of the outside world all by itself. I never use HMDs in public (not because I'm embarrassed, just for Health & Safety reasons) so if I want a bit more isolation while using them, I just turn the lights down. If anything, I have been finding that the 1200 blocks off a little too much of your view sometimes; when connected to my laptop, I use them in "extended monitor" mode and it's actually difficult to see the main screen when you're wearing them.

3D is definitely better on the 1200 than it is on the Headplay. Far a start, side-by-side mode is usable in far more situations, but also I always found there was noticeable ghosting on the Headplay in 3D. There is no excuse for ghosting on a head-mounted display, in my opinion.

I am enjoying the 1200, and I am very happy to have it, but my advice would be if you want to upgrade from the Headplay, you might wait for the Cinemizer. I'm still hoping that will be the best of all possible worlds.

And then of course, there's Sony.... :lol:
i guess you have 'bad' headplay as i use it for both NTSC , PAL and s-video it looks amazing !VGA it outshines...just need to remember to struggle to place it correctly on the head !
also i did try 3d field sequential DVDs - no ghosting at all! if only the outside light be blocked - 3d 'd have been amazing.....but that's for field sequential signal only supported via NTSC/PAL input....

you are right - cinemizer OLED if they are released than they will be definitely better that VUZIX but with OLEDs my exp. with z800 has been less than satisfactory.....since contrast / sharpness is absent.....
i can take care of contrast ,hue ,saturation ,brightness but one thing i cannot do is to enhance sharpness where it lags miles behind Headplay......

since that z800[OLED] and headplay [LCOS] use diff. technologies for display but in the end i like headplay more than z800 so 90% of time z800 is in the box....

z800 exp. makes me cautious trying any OLED based units.....i guess z800 uses cheap quality OLEDs though emagin makes better OLEDs refer here : http://www.emagin.com/oled-microdisplays/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but they are not the same oleds used in z800 for sure[notice the contrast ratio is 200:1 here : http://www.3dvisor.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] ....hence the issue with sharpness / contrast....

anyhow i will be careful choosing another OLED based unit so in LCOS-LCD vuzix is the ONLY options better than those evg920s being sold on ebay....
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hi ShawmK,
So when the Wrap1200 is run at 800*600 or 1024*768 you said the aspect ratio is wrong.
Does that mean you can still see and use the whole windows desktop but it is just stretched or is some of the desktop cut off, out of view and not available for use ?
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

3DVision, If you set the resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 you can see the entire display - nothing is cut off - it's just stretched across the 16:9 screen. Of course you can select the 4:3 option, then you have the correct aspect ratio, but you're wasting a lot of space.

Ancjob, It sounds like we have different firmware versions on our Headplays. I can use field sequential 3D through the VGA input without any problem, but I do get interference patterns on the video inputs, whether I connect it to composite, component or S-video. Also NTSC material is displayed in the wrong aspect ratio, which gets very annoying. Sadly, since the company is now gone, there is no way to modify the firmware any more...
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ShawmK wrote:3DVision, If you set the resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 you can see the entire display - nothing is cut off - it's just stretched across the 16:9 screen. Of course you can select the 4:3 option, then you have the correct aspect ratio, but you're wasting a lot of space.

Ancjob, It sounds like we have different firmware versions on our Headplays. I can use field sequential 3D through the VGA input without any problem, but I do get interference patterns on the video inputs, whether I connect it to composite, component or S-video. Also NTSC material is displayed in the wrong aspect ratio, which gets very annoying. Sadly, since the company is now gone, there is no way to modify the firmware any more...
yeah! no support for headplay....so sad.

ShawmK - when you compare image from vuzix 1200 to that of headplay - do the colors irritate or look unpleasant on vuzix , u know typical of those 'china' HMDs with crappy kopin displays of VGA quality the colors suck big time..and irritate me

for me it's hard to wear a 'china' HMDs for > 15 min...becoz of colors and contrast on them....colors look so washed out devoid of 'life' and worst contrast imaginable !
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

ShawmK wrote:3DVision, If you set the resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 you can see the entire display - nothing is cut off - it's just stretched across the 16:9 screen. Of course you can select the 4:3 option, then you have the correct aspect ratio, but you're wasting a lot of space.
Last question about resolutions ShawmK.

With the Wrap 1200 set to 1024*768 in 16:9 aspect ratio is it usable for working in Windows such as reading text in Windows and on the web, thats if I can live with the stretched picture ?
Also, is 1024*768 just too small/fuzzy, when set to 4:3 aspect ratio in Windows or is it still OK for reading text in windows and the web ?

I think you addressed this in an earlier post to me, but I was just wondering if anything has changed with more time to use and tweak the Wrap 1200.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

3Dvision, at lower resolutions I am able to read text without too much trouble, but I wouldn't say it was ideal. I would compare it to using a Standard Definition television set as a computer monitor. You can select icons, open programmes etc. but I can't imagine using it for extended periods to write emails, work in spreadsheets or do anything else that requires fine print.

If you set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and lower the resolution you get a decent image - actually better than the image on the Wrap 920 because they have drastically improved the scaling - but again, I wouldn't want to use it as a work monitor for extended periods.

Ancjob, although the colours are not as vibrant as the colours on the Headplay, they are much better than most of those generic "Ebay" HMDs. I personally think the quality of the display is surprisingly good; it's the lenses that let down the image a bit. Colour and contrast are both very decent, and it's possible to make out subtle details in skin tone, surface textures etc.

I keep thinking back to televisions I have owned at earlier times of my life. I'm old enough to have built up a large library of films on VHS (and laserdisc - yes, I was one of those people!) which I then gradually replaced with DVDs. In the late 1990s I had a huge steamer trunk of a CRT television set that cost me a small fortune and took up half my living room. I used to play my DVDs on that set and stare in awe at the quality of the image. If you had shown me the Wrap 1200 back then I would have been astonished that such a product was possible. A pair of sunglasses that runs on AA batteries and produces an image better than my monster home cinema set (and does 3D)? Surely that's the stuff of science fiction! Of course since then we have had HD television and Blu Ray, so our standards have changed a bit, but I still get a thrill from seeing a DVD quality image in a pair of sunglasses.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Thanks ShawmK,
I am getting a much better idea of what you are seeing wih the Wrap1200.

The fact that I still sometimes use an old 15"CRT monitor in a pinch, makes me think the Wrap 1200 set to 1024*768 might not be as bad as I first thought it would be from reading earlier post.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

A CRT monitor isn't like a LCD monitor though, the former doesn't really have a native resolution although the latter has one. Upscaling is used with LCD when using a higher resolution than the native one, which explains why it doesn't look good and small text becomes unreadable.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Yes I know how different CRT/LCD are.

What I ment was, my 15inch, 12year old CRT running at 1024*768 is not pretty. 800*600 is OK but with a 12 year old, 15inch CRT, it still has that CRT fuzzy look.

I would not be surprised if the Wrap1200 looks better.
You see, I have a very low standard to live up to...LOL

I think if I could get by with the 1200 for very lite windows use, it would do more than fine for video and game use.

Can anyone with a 1200 snap a pic of the windows desktop just for fun. I know that must be very hard to do. Think someone did it years back with the VR920 ???
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well, the picture quality on the Wrap 1200 is about DVD quality. For watching 2D videos, this might be acceptable. Certainly its not horrible in that situation, and probably better than previous Vuzix HMDs. However the quality in Windows, or web-browsing, etc. leaves much to be desired. At 800x600 is manageable. But at 720P it is really difficult. Granted, you can do it, but its just not fun.

As a test, I took a photo of the 1200VR on my desktop. I also uploaded, copied, and edited the picture with Photoshop, all using the 1200VR (at 1280 x 720). I am even writing this post, still with the unit on and not adjusting the text size or anything. So you can do it, but just barely. I would not do this on a regular basis.

And although 800x600 looks better, its the wrong aspect ratio. I would like to be able to set a custom resolution (for example 854x480) but Windows doesn't seem to do that. I know the glasses support, as I can run test with the Nvidia panel. They just don't seem to be active as resolutions in Windows. Also, no matter what, the screen looks fuzzy to me. Not sure why.

Anyway, here is a picture of my desktop. Note that this is more blurry than real life, but its all I could get. I will try to get better pictures for the review.
Wrap_1200VR_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Thanks so much for that cybereality.
Even with that not being the best picture, I am surprised how large the text and icons look. I thought they would be smaller in size. If the real thing is not as blurry as that picture, it seems it would be usable for short stretches of time. I take it, text, is not as blurry as in that picure or it would be totally usless.
The color also seems richer than I thought it would.
Look forward to your review and more pictures.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hopefully I can take better pictures for the review. That one should only be to give you a rough idea (at least you can get a feel for colors/contrast). I would not want to try to do work or anything on this kit, but it works decent enough to load up Steam and choose a game, or quick things like that. I wish there was a widescreen resolution in between 854x480 and 1280x720. Maybe like 1067x600, but I highly doubt that oddball number will work.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey cybereality,
In the picture you took, It looks like if the window of this website was opened to full screen, I would be able to read it pretty good if not for the blurry photo.

Good job on the picture, that can't be easy...never is..LOL
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well like I said, I made the post using the headset. It can be done. Its just not particularly fun or productive. The issue is that the text (or really everything I guess) is always a little fuzzy. Not necessarily blurry, but fuzzy. It has a good down-scaler, but it can only do so much going from 720P to WVGA. So don't be fooled: text is really hard to read BUT you can read it if you want to try. Also, increasing the text size in the web-browser or Windows will help. But this really is NOT a monitor replacement.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Do you turn off smooth type vision or whatever it's called in windows ? Might make a teeny tiny tiny differance...?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cyber - plz do post the best pic possible of wrap 1200 in action

since you got me started - i will try to do some snaps of Headplay in action using my digital camara...lol :D

btw cyber - contrast of the hair/face seems way out of balance [reddish] in the pic you posted

tried with my camera on phone but it's really hard to take the photos as headplay screens being so reflective....seems like a challenge...let's see if i succeed using my digital camera....so that people 'd compare both in action.....also i will try to get the image of the z800 in action as well
Last edited by ancjob on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Here is the same shot taken on an ASUS VG236H, just so you can see how its supposed to look. Keep in mind that the Vuzix shot was overly blurry, but it still was not crisp even in real life. So don't compare the sharpness (which obvious cannot compete with 1080P) but just look at how the colors/contrast is supposed to be.
ASUS_VG236H_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Here is the same shot taken on an ASUS VG236H, just so you can see how its supposed to look. Keep in mind that the Vuzix shot was overly blurry, but it still was not crisp even in real life. So don't compare the sharpness (which obvious cannot compete with 1080P) but just look at how the colors/contrast is supposed to be.
ASUS_VG236H_01.jpg
there goes all my expectations with this HMD....i thought i was your device which captured the pic....
cyber - you have taken away one perspective vuzix consumer from Vuzix and made them poorer by usd600 :lol:

after all who's stopping vuzix from making an HMD with 1280x1024 SXGA with millitary optics and huge FOV- clearly from the sony example an HD HMD can be made < usd900 if mass produced....

and i think anyone will pay usd1000 if the HMD has the 'real' quality...at least i will...

clearly making sub-standard thing is bad company policy and for consumers like us we seems ripped-off !

just [usd200 more +shipping + taxes] away from the ultimate sony 'thing' and my search for ultimate HMD will end :lol:
Last edited by ancjob on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

@ancjob: 'z800 exp. makes me cautious trying any OLED based units.....i guess z800 uses cheap quality OLEDs though emagin makes better OLEDs refer here : http://www.emagin.com/oled-microdisplays/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; '

It sounds like you have both Headplay and Z800? What exactly has been your problem with your Z800? You mentioned you had fuzzy edges or something like that?

I ask, as I have a secondhand, repaired Z800, and it still is crisp, bright, and clear, right to the edges (well, all except the edge that now has some sort of OLED cancer). Basically, its no worse than the 23" CRT thats attached to the same PC. I really don't see how it could be much brighter or clearer without an increase in resolution.

Did you have a problem with the OLED crapping out on yours? Mines developed a black spot cancer on one side that is a little annoying, just wondering if you had a similar issue...

Also, does the headplay support any page flipping modes such as that provided by iZ3D? IE, can you still use Headplay with drivers such as IZ3D and Tridef?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

WiredEarp wrote:@ancjob: 'z800 exp. makes me cautious trying any OLED based units.....i guess z800 uses cheap quality OLEDs though emagin makes better OLEDs refer here : http://www.emagin.com/oled-microdisplays/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; '

It sounds like you have both Headplay and Z800? What exactly has been your problem with your Z800? You mentioned you had fuzzy edges or something like that?

I ask, as I have a secondhand, repaired Z800, and it still is crisp, bright, and clear, right to the edges (well, all except the edge that now has some sort of OLED cancer). Basically, its no worse than the 23" CRT thats attached to the same PC. I really don't see how it could be much brighter or clearer without an increase in resolution.

Did you have a problem with the OLED crapping out on yours? Mines developed a black spot cancer on one side that is a little annoying, just wondering if you had a similar issue...

Also, does the headplay support any page flipping modes such as that provided by iZ3D? IE, can you still use Headplay with drivers such as IZ3D and Tridef?
z800 gamma control has 5 step brigtness control which changes brightness and contrast etc...
for to get good image i need to use TMT v5 [nividia GPU support] to enhance image further....

i will try to post screens of both z800 and headplay soon..

now regd headplay - my laptop ain't capable for 3d gaming so i never tried tz3d drivers so i use both headplay and z800 for 2d movies only infact headplay always - z800 is in box.. all the time...

somehow the image is NOT sharp as compared with that of headplay , in headplay every detail -skin tone , texture is detailed and colors are rich and wonderful ,extremely pleasant to look at - for me headplay HD-LCD for me

i think we have one challenger here which has the same screen quality and huge FOV and HDMI input - Sony HMD

refer here : http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/seri ... 78744.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so far only headplay had the screens of this quality or higher

thought of gaming - may be after i got sony HMD
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

WiredEarp wrote:Did you have a problem with the OLED crapping out on yours? Mines developed a black spot cancer on one side that is a little annoying, just wondering if you had a similar issue...

Is the "black spot" a common fault for OLED screens? I bought a cheap emagin on Ebay recently and the left-hand display had exactly that problem:

Thankfully the seller took it back (there was no mention of the Black Spot of Doom in the auction listing).

It's a pity, because apart from the Black Spot, I thought the picture quality was excellent.

The Headplay (at least with the Firmware update that I have) can accept pageflipped 3D over VGA. I don't have the IZ3D or Tridef drivers installed, but I can set Stereoscopic Player to "Software Pageflipping" and the Headplay will accept that.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ShawmK - well too bad the z800 of yours was faulty - mine is ok but i do not get the sharpness in image which i am addicted to - says thanks to headplay for that.....

trust me - except for new sony HMD - i do not think any HMD - including z800 can beat the screen quality of headplay

they 'd have made headplay better with SXGA screen and refined optics further - too bad they gave up

no reason to order 852x480 LCD when 800x600 with rich colors is already there unless downgrading! - that's why i did NOT order wrap model yet...i failed to convince myself !

emagin is using cheap OLEDs contrast 200:1 whereas they themselves MFG. OLED-XL with contrast up to 10000:1

as for z800 - there will be plenty on ebay once sony HMD starts to sell ....no reason to keep crappy HMDs and block money when the same can get you HD HMD [HD-OLEDs] with HDMI input[read sony]..be on the look out if you still want z800

as for headtracker - ext headtracker can be used - almost all 3d laptops have HDMI 1.4a and adding a head tracker is not an issue so sony HMD will rock anyway

z800 excels only in optics [ease of viewing without strain] being light weight and usb powered - that's it...emagin is ripping people off with a tag of usd$1799 [price of usd$500 is ok for new] - an obsolete over-priced product!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

To be honest, after seeing the shots of the Sony I am not sure I can be happy with the Wrap 1200. The quality, to me, is just sub-par. The only thing thats really good about the device is the headtracker. But I am not sure that is enough to save the device. And I really do want to like this kit, but its theres only so much I can take.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

since cyber posted for wrap series i thought i do the same for headplay and z800 so that everyone can compare....

see attachments for headplay and z800 for display resolution @ 800x600

z800 is a little bit more clear becoz of large eye-piece without scratchguard on it...while headplay pic was difficult as the scratchguard is on the eye-piece and screen being highly reflective so getting the focus was extremely difficult...but that's the best i can do with my 12 mp digital camera..i am sure without scratchguard on the headplay eye-piece image 'd have been more vibrant.....[i have the scratchguard on permanenetly as the image otherwise looks extremely bright! - too bright for my tastes]

but notice the colors - headplay colors/contrast look cool , worldly & real [looks like a real person drinking] , skin textures is more pronounced that on z800 while z800 color looks kinda unreal colors overly-balanced and contrast having more 'white' for the buff for my tastes..

till date - i still reckon as headplay as the best HMD - a true 2D HD-LCD for me !

of course the only challenge for headplay is from Sony HMD [some Sony HMD 'in action' images posted here somewhere...which i have seen] so i will wait for sony HMD for an upgrade from headplay.......wish that headplay 'd upgraded the LCOS with SXGA resolution and refined optics further - but they gave up and a great concept of 'single' screen binocular HMD died with headplay :cry:

hope this helps...

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”