Display output conversion systems

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Display output conversion systems

Post by WiredEarp »

Hi

Does anyone have any information about any display output conversion systems? IE, systems that convert from 2D to 3D formats, or systems that convert resolutions.
IE, a system that could take a 800x600 input and output a 400x300 picture.

I'm wondering what options might exist for converting (for example) 2 camera inputs into a 3D feed (for telepresence/FPV). Or, taking a 1200x800 image and formatting it to a smaller subresolution (such as 400x300) and displaying this on the 1280x800 screen. If this was possible, we could do high FOV gaming VR using the single screen multiple lenses system, that PalmerTech uses in one of his PR series HMDs.

If nothing exists, are current PC's and graphic cards fast enough to allow us to do this on the fly with only a few frames max lag?
WiredEarp

Re: Display output conversion systems

Post by WiredEarp »

So, no-one has any hands on knowledge with any converters currently?

Anyone have any input on the idea of using a fast desktop PC to do the conversion?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

No hands on knowledge about existing software, but...

In general, resolution scaling is a FAST operation. I do stuff like this all the time - even in Java with massive resolutions (7000 x 9000) hitting somewhere between 15-30 FPS (and without video card acceleration). So definitely in principle you can easily do this with a PC. But as far as I know you would need to write a custom application to get the format you want.

Edit: I have discussed this a bit with PalmerTech before. A custom video driver for his unit will be badly needed. Not just for displaying 3D content but for 2D content as well. The unit is physically locked into 3D mode so desktop usage is out of the question. A driver would be needed to rescale and create a side-by-side view in order to view any 2D content. I'm totally swamped until at least the middle of the summer, but if nobody has stepped up before then I might give it a go.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Hey brantlew, thanks for the info. I agree this is badly needed and its for stuff like PalmerTechs PR series that would really benefit from something like this. Also, it would give me more life for my Z800, although I think I might have hit on a converter setup to let me use the Z800 on high resolutions now...

If it can be done fast enough, say, using a separate PC to avoid a performance hit, then we could use PR type HMD's on all the latest games etc, really it will solve the only issue with the PR design I can see (besides weight distribution).
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I came across this website so far, haven't had a chance to have a real look yet but it has some interesting looking stuff that could be useful for conversions.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”