The Sony HMD is real!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Re: The Sony HMD is real!

Post by ancjob »

Now with ST1080 being priced usd$799 competing against Sony....
it will be interesting to see the how both HMDs compete .......

now if Sony 'd come up with portable FULL HD OLED HMD....that also - usb powered and accepting both HDMI and VGA.....my wish for now :D
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

SDM wrote:Hello all,

New here, but been following along for quite some time. Just received a HMZT1 yesterday, got the same survey offer via email as rowanunderwood. Was extremely suspicious, still am, but the bit of investigation I've done so far seems to point to it possibly being legit. I never receive any spam emails, have done my best over the years to avoid getting on their lists.

Don't know if I'd get chosen though, so far not having an easy time with the HMZ. Cannot get focus for both eyes, regardless the pad, or pad just removed. Spent a good 7-8 hours so far fiddling with distance, straps, etc, just seems impossible for both of my eyes to achieve focus across the full screen/s. Don't know what Sony was thinking with the fit of the device. Forehead pad is just plain painful to me after only a few minutes (when I get as close as I can to focus that is), though I don't have issues with the nose pad/opening (small nose I guess) others seem to have.

Will keep trying for a few days, but it just really feels like an early prototype rather than a finished product ready for the market. Happy for those who've had success with it, been waiting a VERY long time for something like this to finally come along, but no proper focus and pain aren't exactly things I was expecting, so I'll likely be returning it. Really hope a second version with flaws corrected comes about, but of course cannot count on that (only thing holding me back from returning it now).

Just for general info, I typically sit approx 3 feet away from a 25" monitor. To me the HMZ image actually appears at about the same distance away, but is larger than the monitor (by maybe 10%).

Any way, just thought I'd finally chime in here, let rowanunderwood know he's not the only one that got the survey invitation.
the device is complicated - i read the Manuel which i'd downloaded.....seems it requires a bit of an effort to get focus...

for the same reason i am not being tempted to pre-order it as the bulk of this device is bothersome - do not want my head trapped in a 'helmet' hence waiting for portable options like st1080 / cinemizer OLED

i'd suggest that you 'd NOT be in a hurry to discount the device rather read the Manuel thoroughly and play with it as per instructions in the Manuel...

this is definitely not as easy as mounting emagin z800....takes some adjustments and tweaking to get it to work...

i really do hope that you will get it to work great!....
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

rowanunderwood wrote:Received the following email this morning. Looks like Sony is very interested in the opinions of those that purchased the HMZ.

We are conducting a paid online research discussion on behalf of Sony
and would like to invite you to participate. You were selected by Sony
as a qualified candidate for this study, and we are very much interested
in your opinions. By taking the survey at the link below, you will have
the opportunity to provide your direct feedback on Sony´s products and
services, and if selected to take part in the study, you´ll receive a
check for $125. You will also receive a pocket video camera to use for
this project, and it will be yours to keep after you complete the study.

That . . . or somebodies phishing me.
Got the same e-mail...I'm tempted to go through with it just to show how flawed their system is.
SDM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SDM »

ancjob wrote: the device is complicated - i read the Manuel which i'd downloaded.....seems it requires a bit of an effort to get focus...

for the same reason i am not being tempted to pre-order it as the bulk of this device is bothersome - do not want my head trapped in a 'helmet' hence waiting for portable options like st1080 / cinemizer OLED

i'd suggest that you 'd NOT be in a hurry to discount the device rather read the Manuel thoroughly and play with it as per instructions in the Manuel...

this is definitely not as easy as mounting emagin z800....takes some adjustments and tweaking to get it to work...

i really do hope that you will get it to work great!....
I will give it another go or two, but I have been through the manual thoroughly (had downloaded Sony's info weeks before receiving my preorder as well). I'm an engineer by trade, so small adjustments and methodical trial and error are part of my nature. Been through my fair share of technology, don't own an HMD (until now), but have used them in the past.

Any way will report back if I have success, think I know the reason I cannot achieve proper focus, but will hold off on stating that until I'm sure. Regardless, I believe the unit will require most people to come up with an alternate way of fitting the device if longer term comfort is desired. Forehead pad just not the greatest idea, wish Sony would redesign that bit, make it taller/wider to distribute weight over a larger area at the least, or perhaps use it to attach a different style mount all together. Have my own ideas on that (seen others ideas on various forums too of course), but without the focus, wouldn't be worth the time (as I'd likely design the part in CAD, have a proper piece made via one of my fab shops).
-Steve
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

It's just a tragedy that Sony spent so much effort getting the screens and optics right and seemingly didn't put any effort into the mechanical design. Please Sony, it should be so easy to fix this.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

In the avsforum, someone mentioned distracting internal reflections in the HMZ. This is the reason why the person I bought my HMZ from decided to sell. Another person replied that higher quality optics could fix the problem. Previously I'd heard that the HMZ optics are very high quality. What optics could be used as replacements?

EDIT: It seems a solution has already been found (black tape somewhere on the HMZ, I'm not sure where).
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

they have some cushioned pads here : http://www.blazin3d.com/catalog/item/80 ... 095948.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for HMZ-T1 to ease pressure on forehead and nose!
funny - Sony did not think abt this before launching it......even when i look at the HMZ-T1 pics - this looks pretty apparent that nose and forehead will have a tough time ! that was reason i held myself back from pre-ordering it - how it 'd not have been seen by Sony engg. team...

but good thing the mods[coushioned pads] are on sale for those who have trouble attaining comfort! usd$48 not too much too ask for a usd$800 device :D
SDM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SDM »

Cushioned straps won't do it for me unfortunately (have tried that and various other things). Only way I can see to fix the fit and focus issues properly would require opening the unit (IPD decoupling just for starters), and a new piece (rubber/foam) added to fit/position/distribute the weight of the thing comfortably across more of the brow/face (latter could be done externally and be removable with no modding, but would require taking molds and such to perfect). Got the unit with a 2 years warranty (for the screens mainly at the time I pre-ordered), not really up to voiding that in the first week, so unfortunately it'll be going back.

In better times (or if Sony wanted to pay for my time), I'd keep it for experimenting sake, but really these are all things Sony could have/should have addressed themselves before launch. Really have to wonder what kind of actual consumer testing Sony did on these.

Any way, hope others have better luck...
-Steve
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

SDM wrote:...
Really have to wonder what kind of actual consumer testing Sony did on these.
have you considered that you are the user tester? why else for such a limited production run with long delay for restock. seems that most of the complaints are things that shouldn't cost much (if any) to fix... just a bit of thought. so could be good in revision 2 or 3?
SDM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SDM »

android78 wrote:
SDM wrote:...
Really have to wonder what kind of actual consumer testing Sony did on these.
have you considered that you are the user tester? why else for such a limited production run with long delay for restock. seems that most of the complaints are things that shouldn't cost much (if any) to fix...
That's indeed exactly what I think, but still not the proper way to do things IMO. Think Sony should just halt production to address the (major at least) issues now though. Independent IPD would require no real design change, and I'm sure their engineers could figure out an add-on or such for comfort with little or no real modification for existing units. As is now, seems a fairly large percentage of these are being (or ultimately will be) returned, would just like to see Sony make some kind of effort now to help avoid that. Think there's enough feedback already, threads in various languages with mod after mod already.

Really want this tech to ultimately succeed in the mainstream, that there will be future improved revisions. Getting a bad reputation from the get go though, many returns, I wonder if Sony will think the market is just not ready, or if they'll realize it is but their unit just needs refinement? Hope they realize it is the latter, but the way the company acts sometimes leaves me a bit worried if future versions will ever come to be (at least while I'm around to see it anyway).

Anyway, if a second version comes about, I will give that a go. Same for a third, etc.. -if for no other reason then to do my part to show the demand is indeed there.
-Steve
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

Got my HMZ-T1 today sent from the US to Australia, simple step down converter does the trick with the Voltage difference (well it hasn't set fire on my head yet). There has been allot of negative points made about this product and I have to say it does have 'some' slight issues but on the other hand this is one wicked device, I have only played with it for about two or so hours and it's safe to say I am in love with the HMZ-T1 good on you Sony. I payed $1300 US for this in the end most of you will say I'm crazy but even at that price I am confident to say it's worth it.
3D Visualisation Artist
http://www.FraherDesign3D.com.au
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

fraherd wrote:Got my HMZ-T1 today sent from the US to Australia, simple step down converter does the trick with the Voltage difference (well it hasn't set fire on my head yet). There has been allot of negative points made about this product and I have to say it does have 'some' slight issues but on the other hand this is one wicked device, I have only played with it for about two or so hours and it's safe to say I am in love with the HMZ-T1 good on you Sony. I payed $1300 US for this in the end most of you will say I'm crazy but even at that price I am confident to say it's worth it.

just usd$450 more -you 'd have owned a brand NEW eMagin z800... :lol:

pros : usb powered , great optics , comfortable , does not strain even if you wear it for 6-8 hrs continuously [except for slight pressure becoz of forehead band]
cons : image quality - bad , very low contrast,800x600 resolution only,only VGA input

paying usd$1300 still too costly for hmz....paranoia

i wish if emagin 'd upgrade panels to OLED-XL keeping everything the same - i will buy another z800 over hmz
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

I can safely say there is absolutely no comparison. The HMZ-T1 well and truly shits all over the Z800, it's like comparing an F1 car and a Go Kart.
3D Visualisation Artist
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

fraherd wrote:I can safely say there is absolutely no comparison. The HMZ-T1 well and truly shits all over the Z800, it's like comparing an F1 car and a Go Kart.
may be u have been lucky that u got the 'good' headset...OR

1) you reached the conclusion abt sony too early without using it for sometime
2)from what i have read in reviews - Sony has issues with focusing , internal reflection around the lens and comfort....

if you value your eyes and can compromise a little with image quality then there is nothing in comparison with z800......the optics are 'miracle' to say the least.....at least saves u from the 'eye-rape' big time.....

trust me pal - if they had quality oled panels like that of Sony OLED-CF panels then z800 'd have been the best '2d' Monitor on earth.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

fraherd wrote:Got my HMZ-T1 today sent from the US to Australia, simple step down converter does the trick with the Voltage difference (well it hasn't set fire on my head yet). There has been allot of negative points made about this product and I have to say it does have 'some' slight issues but on the other hand this is one wicked device, I have only played with it for about two or so hours and it's safe to say I am in love with the HMZ-T1 good on you Sony. I payed $1300 US for this in the end most of you will say I'm crazy but even at that price I am confident to say it's worth it.
You are not crazy. I paid around USD 1200 including shipping from US to Malaysia. Hopefully I can get it before 20th December. Still in transit to Borderlinx US and another 3 days international shipment to Malaysia.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

pierreye wrote:
You are not crazy. I paid around USD 1200 including shipping from US to Malaysia. Hopefully I can get it before 20th December. Still in transit to Borderlinx US and another 3 days international shipment to Malaysia.

those selling this on ebay asking for such ridiculous price are thieves and punters....and the headset are usually defective one way or the other - i'd rather wait for the cinemizer OLED to show up and also for reviews of st1080 - unless st1080 is using some 'miracle' optics i do not think that focus will be effortless...given the fov of 45 without IPD & Focus adjustments.

like i said not every HMD is eMagin z800....

BTW - those who have received the HMZ already and played with it for sometime have NOT yet posted detailed review here@mtbs3D......why ?

is the product so crappy , so flawed that excitement fizzled out in a matter of time...? nobody is flaunting the product with a detailed review why ?

that makes me suspect if Sony HMD is really good at all or usd$799 down the drain.....

in that case i'd order the custom mod for headplay and enjoy headplay !..
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

SDM wrote:Cushioned straps won't do it for me unfortunately (have tried that and various other things). Only way I can see to fix the fit and focus issues properly would require opening the unit (IPD decoupling just for starters), and a new piece (rubber/foam) added to fit/position/distribute the weight of the thing comfortably across more of the brow/face
An avsforum member removed the forehead cushion, which he said can be easily pulled off and also replaced with some adhesive, and placed a sock there instead. He said it's significantly more comfortable because the wider space distributes the pressure more evenly, and he can wear the unit for hours now.

ancjob, my HMZ from eBay comes in next week. I'll post a review as soon as possible :)
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

"
BTW - those who have received the HMZ already and played with it for sometime have NOT yet posted detailed review here@mtbs3D......why ?

is the product so crappy , so flawed that excitement fizzled out in a matter of time...? nobody is flaunting the product with a detailed review why ?"

--
Because the HMZ-T! is sooo good that they can't stop playing GT5 and Blackops?... no time to write a review?
3D Visualisation Artist
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Because almost nobody on MTBS3D has gotten their unit yet, and the ones that have might not be up to writing a full review. Or, like me, they have been using it, but not used it long enough to write a fair review. There are lots of reviews on AVS, though.

Really, though, it is so much better than the Z800 that you cannot even compare them. The Z800 optics are really not all that great, they are very sensitive to position, too. If you get them off center, they go slightly blurry. Fine for watching videos or movies, but if you try to use a Z800 with head tracking for gaming, you will see the text go blurry if they shift even the slightest bit.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I did want to have a review up for the HMZ-T1, but I had spent all my money on the 1200VR and a new laptop. Cause I figured all the big sites would be covering the Sony product (which they have) and no one was going to have a review for the Vuzix. Even now, months later, I think my review of the 1200VR is the only one out there. There is tons of feedback for the Sony already. But, at some point, I would like to do a review of the HMZ-T1.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I actually have to agree with ancjob partly on this, in that if eMagin brought out a 1280x1024 version of the Z800 (they have the OLED screens to do it) they could provide some serious competition to Sony. eMagins optics are top notch, and the design is really good... comfy to wear for hours, can see the edges of the screens clearly, adjustable IPD is good, etc.

However, they would have to upgrade their support, I doubt anyone would bother buying a new HMD from eMagin unless they supported either 3D Vision or HDMI 1.4 directly.

Re the Sony, i'm liking the look of many of the helmet mods I've seen. Looks like it should be possible to make the HMZ comfy etc. God knows why Sony didn't put some more effort into this area...

@ PalmerTech: I can use my Z800 without any blurry text! In fact, the sharpness is the thing I love about the Z800. The secret is, IMHO, to 'squish' the screens as close into your eyes as you can using the in/out adjustment. The closer you put them, the less sensitive they are to slight movements of your head relative to the lenses. I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that they mirror your faces movements better, or if there is a bigger sweet spot closer in. You need this sharpness when learning Blackshark etc as you need to be able to read the mouseover text at first.
I have noted that many people on the AVS forum say the exact same thing you said about the Z800 about the HMZ - that its really best at watching movies, because once you start moving it around, it loses the alignment of your eye and the lenses and gets blurry edges. I wonder if this can also be solved by moving the eyes closer to the lenses (dont know how much room you have to do this with on the HMZ) or by using a helmet to allow it to better follow head movements without slight misalignments.

Also, squishing the lenses close to my eyes increases the FOV... so its a win win for me ;)
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Yes, moving the optics closer does make it less sensitive to movement. The Z800 is great, don't get me wrong (I have two of them, one of which I plan on selling soon), my point was that the optics are not really all THAT great. They are good, but no miracle worker.

My current plan is mounting an HMZ-T1 into a pair of ski goggles, with an added top strap. That should keep it from shifting at all, remove any weight on the nose, and block out light really well.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

@Palmer - There are some photo on avsforum that someone rip out the whole optics with the controller board still working at around 120g. I think the hardware is ready for some serious mod into something more comfortable.

All the review point out that HMZ-T1 should be at least 1 or 2 generation better than Z800 except comfort which is pretty much required some mod.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

pierreye wrote:@Palmer - There are some photo on avsforum that someone rip out the whole optics with the controller board still working at around 120g. I think the hardware is ready for some serious mod into something more comfortable.

All the review point out that HMZ-T1 should be at least 1 or 2 generation better than Z800 except comfort which is pretty much required some mod.
Pagelink?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st21330045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SDM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SDM »

Aphradonis wrote:
SDM wrote:Cushioned straps won't do it for me unfortunately (have tried that and various other things). Only way I can see to fix the fit and focus issues properly would require opening the unit (IPD decoupling just for starters), and a new piece (rubber/foam) added to fit/position/distribute the weight of the thing comfortably across more of the brow/face
An avsforum member removed the forehead cushion, which he said can be easily pulled off and also replaced with some adhesive, and placed a sock there instead. He said it's significantly more comfortable because the wider space distributes the pressure more evenly, and he can wear the unit for hours now.

ancjob, my HMZ from eBay comes in next week. I'll post a review as soon as possible :)
Tried that, though just removed the entire pad piece, used a scrap piece of plastic/thin foam in its stead. Tried without the forehead pad entirely too, and that was actually better yet (for both comfort and focus), though still not actually comfortable by any means.

Basically what I found (regarding just focus now) was that with the screens/lenses further away (say using the medium forehead pad), there are two issues: First, neither (or maybe only one if you shift the unit) eye can even see its full screen entirely. Second , can only adjust focus for a particular spot/s on the screen, headset cannot move a mm or that (partial) focus is lost. With screens/lenses closer, close as I could get them, you can see both screens fully and squarely in each eye, but still a very small window to use for focus (i.e. still can't let it move at all), still could not get focus with both eyes at once. Felt like I could possibly get there if the IPD sliders were independently adjustable (instead of locked in steps and linked to each other), but don't want to risk the warranty so soon to open it up and disable the mechanism.

A new case/mounting system that lets the lenses sit very close to the eyes, allows separate IPD adjustments, (and a little trial and error to perfect) should do the job to make the HMZ focus properly and fit comfortably. At the moment though, I've just got too many other more important things to take care of. Again, don't want to void the warranty either, but I know some of you guys won't mind that bit as much. Strongly feel these are are issues Sony should have/could have taken care of before release too, which is another major deciding factor (for me) to just opt to return the unit.

Any way, all the above applies to myself and my experiences with it, wish the best of luck to any current or future HMZ owners, hope you fare better than I with it.
-Steve
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

If you are going to return your unit, any chance you would sell it to me? I know you don't want to disappoint anyone, but I have nearly 20 HMDs of my own, so I know what the limitations of these things are. :lol: It would be going to a good home, one where it gets modded right off the bat into a comfortable case. :D
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Have you been looking at the eBay auctions? I got mine on eBay.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Oh, I have. They tend to go at a premium, though, and since I have one at work I can use, there is no particular rush for me to get one of my own right away. But if he is willing to sell it to me for what he got it, I would be thrilled to void the warranty! :lol:
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

well - all said abt sony - makes me jittery as clearly sony has serious issues with
1)comfort[people trying to mod with helmet/straps etc ]
2)focusing [optics]
3)portability[not-portable]...

it's so sad that a brand like Sony failed to address the above concerns before releasing the device to public...i think this product is a failure...

but again if i compare it with no-names like emagin,headplay......i wanna give it a try ....
at least i am getting a bigger fov[51] ,HDMI input non-reflective OLED-HDs....so i get tempted to pre-order.....i need this for movies only.....[cinema like effect!]...i do not know whether i am right or wrong abt my decision regd. HMZ....but at least i am aware of issues well in advance so that i d NOT be having very high expectations to start with.....

i guess it 'd be good for watching movies.....
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Check out this mod. Only 150g and not touching your forehead. Palmer should be able to do some custom mould to mount the device and keep it below 250g.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st21332122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

pierreye wrote:Check out this mod. Only 150g and not touching your forehead. Palmer should be able to do some custom mould to mount the device and keep it below 250g.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st21332122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wow! this is definitely some modding kinda goin' on....woohhh!

i wonder to what lengths people are willing to go to achieve the comfort and make HMZ a success using their custom mods.... :lol:
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

pierreye wrote:Check out this mod. Only 150g and not touching your forehead. Palmer should be able to do some custom mould to mount the device and keep it below 250g.

I plan on modding it into a pair of ski goggles called the "Oakley Splice":

I have read about a lot of different goggles, and these are unique in that they were designed to put absolutely no pressure or weight on the nose, lots of reviews from people who are really happy with the comfort. They spread weight really evenly across your face, should work great! Seen them on Amazon for under $70, which is not too bad for a well built, well engineered mount. Might have to add a top head strap, we will see.

More interesting, though, is the fact that tons of HMZ-T1 owners seem to be doing mods that make the helmet bigger/heavier. Maybe this will show Sony that we don't care about looks, we just want comfortable, high performance HMDs. Bring back the helmets! :D
Corex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Corex »

Agreed, no clue why Sony made the design weight more than 3x the hardware weight, the hardware is supperb and it could be million times better, i'm still ordering one (though i didn't hear about this product until it was to late, so probably februari for me) and i'm gonna mod it. The ski goggles looks great, then one can use the Tiamat 7.1 over the HMD. Problem though, would it be stable when moving the head? I imagine with only a rubber band around the head and the weight in front will make it very sensitive to movement. But the ski frame is a great idea!
Corex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Corex »

Holy ****, the splice are EXPENSIVE hehe, maybe sounds weird for one who will rip apart an $800 HMD, the splice is around $170 in my country ;P I need some pics on this before i try that ;P I'm more leaning towards Scott Cure ACS (Black) also has a removable lense, around $40 and broad straps on the sides, just a strap on top and i think it'll do the job good, i think the nose on the Cure can fit right between the lenses alil for light blocking between the lenses.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Stability is one of the reasons I selected the splice, too. It has plastic outriggers that extend off the sides, and the strap is treated with some kind of non-slip silicone gel. Even a regular pair of ski goggles should be a lot more stable than the original frame, though.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Will the deshelled HMZ fit in the ski goggles, and will the ribbon cables and other components be covered somehow, so they are safe from dust and wear and tear?

I just realized the AVS thread has as many pages as the MTBS thread.
Corex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Corex »

My ideas keep flowing all the time and i have about a moth to keep analysing til i get a my hands on that unit :P

At the moment my thoughts are to encase the hardware in something, i've actually been reading all day on molding heh, though haven't found a hard enough material to work with. fluXa posted this image on AVS http://i40.tinypic.com/2iw506x.jpg, which looks i want the save the plastic part that holds the lenses/oleds in place and the PCB board. At the same time i'm thinking instead of adjusting the lenses with thumbs make 2 mechanisms (in plastic of course) to use screws from the sides to adjust them independently in towards the nose and outwards, also 1 mechanism (done in the molding part) to be able to adjust the space from the eye inwards/outwards, mostly because i don't want the unit to be custom made to me, i wan't others to enjoy it also. It will be based of skiing goggles but i think i will make my own if i find how one can make hard enough material to use by molding. I don't wan't those headphones since i wan't to be able to chose my own, some people use Mixamp and the headphones of choice, i wan't to use Tiamat 7.1 when they are available. It's gonna have like skiing goggles base, and a band around the head, and then one band from the unit to back on the head on top, this is also where i will position the cable, 2 layers of foam (that will hold the unit around the eyes, hence the adjustable screws depending hos the face is formed and how much an individual wan't to tighten the straps on the head one can move the hardware more from the eyes or inwards towards the eyes) and some venting (that doesn't let external light inside the unit), i think that's important for longer uses. Then i'm currently thinking of (since i haven't tried the product yet i don't know how sensitive it is to leak light from one lens into the opposite side, still thinking about that and think i need to do some testing with that to figure out a good solution. =) Since the cable goes center up the head and follows the straps (can be sewn in my wife's good at that) it can act as a counterweight, loosen it will make the unit heavier, fasten it will make the unit lighter this is just some serious theory though =) When i get it and start working with it i'll setup a blog take pictures and share my experience. I keep these things in mind: Lightweight as much as possible, stability, usability between different individuals, block external light, and most importantly being innovative. Probably forgot something there but just sharing thoughts/ideas, i take these oled panels and optics very seriously, they are amazing specs and what Sony did to the encasing/design was really sad to see =/ I mean there's veins dammit where the damn forehead pad is and the pressure moves inwards towards the forehead and not vertically so it's not much one can do with the current design (adding in all the other cons).

Hope it makes some sense, will be more fun to share the final mod of this thing =)
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Aphradonis wrote:I just realized the AVS thread has as many pages as the MTBS thread.
Oddly enough, this forum has an exactly 48 page thread, too: http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?p=33295428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It should fit inside the ski goggles handily, might need to cut a small bit out of front. Ideally, it will all fit flush inside. Covering the electronics is easy, just cut a really thin sheet of plastic to be the right size to cover everything inside but the lenses.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Not sure if anyone cares, but Vuzix built the 1200VR so it could be easily modded. The display module is a separate piece from the glasses, and can be easily snapped out of place. You can also remove the ear-phones, and has independent IPD and diopter. Even though I've said the product was low quality in the past, I do respect that Vuzix included a lot of good features in there that competitors, namely Sony, have neglected.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”