Active-I Monocular HMD and camera combo

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Active-I Monocular HMD and camera combo

Post by PalmerTech »

Looks kinda cool, but almost exactly the opposite of what I would want. In a perfect world, the camera would have video out, and the screen would have independent video input, so that I could run video into a wearable computer for capture/live streaming, then out of that back to the HMD for either computer use, or live preview of the video along with some sort of information overlay.

Looks like these just record and play back, though. Would not be surprised even if they are only 320x240. :( So simple to make what we want, but nobody does!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/acti ... on-integr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Active-I Monocular HMD and camera combo

Post by cybereality »

Are those supposed to be spy glasses?!?!? Kinda obvious don't you think?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Oh wow! Looks like I may have been wrong!

http://interactive-group.com/activei/ac ... xe4e5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See that plug on the HMD module? Willing to bet that it is just power and composite video, looks like the right number of plugs!

If this is 640x480, then all of a sudden, I am very excited.

EDIT: Found the specs page. Only 320x240. :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

This device makes no sense to me. Why would you need an LCD display at all? The camera is mounted in-between your eyes, what you are seeing with your eyes is whats being recorded. Its totally useless.
jasonM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jasonM »

Hello Guys,

I would like to correct some mistakes about this Active-i camcorder.

I purchased those glasses last christmas, and I read lots of wrong comments.

1. The LCD viewer is totally removable. You can put in on as you can take it off. For example, if you want to be 100% sure you shoot the right thing, you can put it on. If you want to wear "normal" sunglasses or spy, you can take it off, that takes half a sec, its just a Jack plug. Actually, the LCD viewer is much more to replay your videos, than to be used while shooting. For example, I shoot a video while skiing, then once arrived, I put on my LCD viewer to replay this video, or check some pics I shot earlier.

2. The resolution is QVGA, hence 640*480. The video quality is actually pretty amazing (not HD for sure) because the auto-focus assure that, even in movement, it won't get blurry. The pictures quality is much lower however.

You can find all information on the [EDITED BY MODERATOR], all is explained.

To make it short: if you are searching for HD camera, you don't want it.
If you are searching for cool sunglasses to record POV and do spy shooting, that's the best you could find.

All depends on your expectations.

:shutter
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

QVGA is actually 320 x 240, not 640 x 480.
But I'm pretty sure that video looks Ok on that rez.

Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
jasonM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jasonM »

Sorry, my bad, I wrote too fast!

The video quality is VGA (640*480), the LCD screen is QVGA (320*240).
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Hi Jason! I am interested in buying an Active-I, I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

1. Do you know what the FOV (Field of view) of the image is? As in, how large the screen appears to be through the optics?
2. Where did you buy yours? I cannot find any mainstream stores selling it, and I do not want to get ripped off.

Thanks!
jasonM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jasonM »

Hello PalmerTech! I'll try to reply as precisely as I can :lol:

1. Do you know what the FOV (Field of view) of the image is?
I was asking myself the same, but no info at all on the website... So I sent them an email, and it seems that the FOV of the Active-i is about 62°. Actually, the final result is pretty good, especially for video.

As in, how large the screen appears to be through the optics?
The screen is pretty smartly made I would say! It works with mirrors, and the angle can be adapted to your eye, which makes it look much bigger than it really is. You actually can see clearly with quite much details. That's not a 32" screen though :mrgreen:

2. Where did you buy yours? I cannot find any mainstream stores selling it, and I do not want to get ripped off.

I couldn't say! :? My uncle offered me that for Christmas as he knows I'm an electronics addict :lol: He got a pre-sales version, god knows how. I also tried to search "Active-i buy" on the internet as my best friend wanted one as well, but coudnt find anything... I know it is not officially on the market yet, but I've seen a bunch of videos on the net already, from users, so I guess it must be available in some shop, just coudnt tell where :?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Could you post the reply they gave you in your email? 62 degrees is amazing, it seems more likely it would be a claim like "same size as a 62" TV at 9 feet" or something. It goes without saying that if it really were 62 degrees, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I found it on the QVC website, but I do not really want to deal with them, reputable as they are.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I'm a bit skeptical on the 62 degree FOV, but I would like to find out.
jasonM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jasonM »

Mmmmm, I am afraid we do not talk about the same thing...

My understanding, based on my question (sorry, don't have it anymore, that was a month ago and I clean my box every week); was that the FOV (the angle of view of the camera) was 62°... but maybe I didn't ask the question well, and got wrong answer...?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well the camera does have an FOV. But what we were talking about was the FOV of the optics in the eye-piece. For example, an FOV of 32 degrees appears as a 17" monitor from 1 foot.
jasonM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jasonM »

Oooooh.

Sorry, didn't get this!

For this detail, I need to say I have no clue... you may send an email to ask : [EDITED BY MODERATOR]

Sorry I couldn't help more, my knowledge is limited :lol:

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”