the Begining

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

the Begining

Post by HARE »

Hi,
New to forums and VR in general. My actual introduction to VR was/is the oculus CV1, about 1 mth ago. I did put a new pc together for the purposes of VR, its by no means a poor pc. i7 6850 @ 4.5GHz, GTX1070G1 goosed

So I am quite disappointed in the CV1. The SDE ruins all other gains made.
I want to fly Aces High 3 in VR but there is no clarity, its useless. And yes I went thru the routine of Tray tool yada yada....

In my life, such disappointments have generally tweaked me to try and do something about my issue rather than just whine. So I began googling! I am pretty sure I can do this, its physical nature of a build is rather straight forward. Its about finding those components I can customize to my head, I am not interested in making mass product, just mine. Hardware selection is my perview, I just need to understand the parameters. Software is a whole different thing, I am illiterate here, period, I can drag and drop, copy and edit files and registry, but that's it. I understand my limitations but wtf.......

lets start with questions,

1-I'm not so sure a dual display is worth it. So larger single display split or dual display? I have looked at laptop repair displays, smartphone repair displays, phablets still looking. I like the idea of 2 SONY Xperia Z5 displays but a pc controller board seems unlikely. Same issue for a note or phablet. laptop repair parts are all 60Hz refresh rates, same as previous mentioned. Then should I just use a complete new smartphone with appropriate stereo software and run with things that way, gear VR....I like the display in my LG G4, sticking a magnifier shows no pixels like my LED or LCD TV's. I understand the manufacturing difference but the G4 is a phone setup not pc. I even looked at 13" size displays to get 4K.

2- Whats the true state of software support for DIY HMD projects? free, paid, whatever
I mean no point me going with basic parts entirely if there is no software for me to use, free or purchased. I am aware of Trinus, Reshade, tridef, VorpX, Viereo.........

3- I am trying to stay away from Fresnel and aspheric single lens. I wish to use lens that are slightly bigger than 60mm dia, and I intend on a lens train. Since I intend more than a hanging off the front of face solution, weight will be slightly less an issue. I also do not need to move around, this can be a tethered, single seat rig. I am hoping to get a slightly larger FOV arrange, so I feel bigger dia lens and bigger display area is obviously key. Plus NO! SDE I started to rip into my CV1 to add projection films to displays but I stopped myself why bother. I want a rig that I can upgrade as the newer QHD, 4K displays come on line.........
Any updated or newer thoughts would be appreciated.?

4- I will want head tracking but I have investigated this, none, yet.

I have already used this site extensively to get caught up on subject matter, I hope to learn more by being proactive.

TY
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: the Begining

Post by HARE »

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 69977.html

the manufacturer sqwauks VR use. Could not find the refresh rate. Only 2K..................

whats possibly wrong with it for HMD gaming purposes?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Did you see the pimax 4k headset? They also have the pimax 8k coming soon on kickstarter.

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/comparsion-s ... s-cv1/1989

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OPCZ4tBvAw

For software if you build your own hmd, you might be able to use OSVR tracking software
http://osvr.github.io/

Or you could use freetrack or some kind of Ir tracking software for 6dof tracking.
http://www.free-track.net/english/

For splitting the display into sbs 2 images you may need to use tridef or OSVR

Hope this helps,

Dom
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

To be honest, it's unlikely (at this point in time) you will DIY something better than what's available on the consumer market today.

In some aspects you could improve things. For example, 4K displays are available, you could get clearer optics, etc. but as a whole package it probably wouldn't be great.

The main issue is the software support. Consumer headsets, like Rift, have a wealth of software carefully tuned to work on the devices. If you DIY something, you will have zero software support. The options at that point would be to try to write a wrapper/emulator to make current VR games work, or go the injection driver route to support normal 2D games. Both options are extremely complex if you are not an expert programmer and, even then, certain things can be off making the whole experience sub-par (for example, if the distortion correction isn't perfect things will look warped). It's not an impossible task, but it would be really hard.

But if you want to have a go at it, I wish you the best of luck.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

OK ty Dom

CR,
I'm not so sure even a 4K display will be better, afterall, current technique is to just magnify a screen to the point that the eye is filled. 4K panel substrates will still be there. There needs to be a passive photon mixing medium, where the display is focused onto that medium and then lensed into eye.

What I am unsure about is how the 3D software works. In using the CV1 you can see how pixel intensity is used to create distance. Weaker pixel intensity will have a dramatic fall off rate as compared to brighter ones, this also contributes to SDE.....................anyways if I want to play the flight sim with VR, DIY is only option. The CV1, VIVE, whatever, is NOT! a consumer ready product, with the displays as they are.

The consuming public/the manufacturers seem bent on ignoring the most basic of design hardware flaws, an HMD deice where you cannot see into distance and an SDE effect that seems bent on ruining eyes. 90Hz reflresh flicker, SS, and the left/right eye switching refresh, the low intensity pixels, really cause the eyes to constantly try for focus they cannot have, it hurts.

man I am disappointed!

the real key is to rip open the CV1 and apply a technique to it, I only really need to muck with the lens setup. if my experimentation proves something to me that is maybe I will..........or maybe I will disassemble it and reassemble onto what I intend to use as a head support. Which will not be hanging off the front of my face.

I was looking at displays for outdoor purposes, the pixels have more pop.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

If Oculus CV1 disappoints you Try PIMAX 4K, For all your DIY as cyber said there will be issues on Software side, if you could build best DIY HMD are
you also going to build software from scratch for it?

There is one more contender here, as per their page they offer combined 5K display.
http://www.starvr.com/
They are supplying to IMAX VR so you can expect their product to be little more pleasant, don't know if they sell to end user?

I have doubts in ability of GTX1070G1 to drive 4k/5k VR at 60FPS 90Hz+ though (minimum requirement for dizzy free VR),
Consider upgrading Titan Xp or may be 3 way or 4 way SLI them. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... /titan-xp/
or wait for NVIDIA VOLTA Consumer Edition Flagship Card.

Resolution is not everything in VR comfort,lucidness of content and FoV and even vergence -accommodation conflict matters a lot to immerse you in CGI.
have look at new technology Oculus is developing... https://youtu.be/gwO-3AgNIao
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

So here is review of PIMAX, Think before you commit..

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... r-headset/

Mostly grim than glad...

Moral all things have their setbacks and downfalls, perfection is always few steps away
in new technology like VR most early hmd iteration are "Work In Progress".

Oculus and HTC both tried really hard to give you best they could as whole package.. as DIY its tough and expensive
yet not sure to reach point where all work in harmony for best experience VR is a truth, allow it to dwell upon you for now.

Some time in future when better parts will be available sure this things will improve too, till then enjoy them.

Invest in to best (*I absolutely loved tracking of HTC VIVE), then make peace with the rest. ;)
( like wedding ...you always knew its going to be steep learning curve ahead :) No matter to anyone you say I DO. )
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

http://tep.manufacturer.globalsources.c ... -di....htm

http://tep.manufacturer.globalsources.c ... isplay.htm

Work been busy but I have been googleing. Getting 2K displays seems pretty common now. the shenzen is pushing the TFT IPS substrate quite a bit. I believe that this is same as my lg g4 screen, or similar manufacturer type. I put together two lens trains using paired plano convex lens. The lg g4 seems pretty clear with the lens trains. Same lens on HDTV show SDE, G4 no SDE,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hz rates are too low, and specs seem hard to find.
I have yet to try any 3D software with phone to see a split screen effect with the lens I put togather. I will be going with reshade when it comes time. I am familiar with SweetFx and its great software. SBS 3D just released 1.97 for reshade.

I feel like I should use 2 screens of the 6" 16:9 variety. turn them vertical and use a lesser res. set up a 2880x 1440 between the 2.
If I used a single display, 2560x1440, split screen value would be 1274x1440. Problem is that all 3D software is for split screen application.
Dual monitor gaming was really not useful, but here, dual monitors could be very useful. use 1 as main monitor and the extend to a second, now apply software and ....

still much to learn about.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

I came to the subject after the fact, and with the release of all the 2016 VR offerings the DIY sites are slowing way down.
I bought a RIFT, and I am so disappointed in it and the overall industry hype that I figure to put up or shut up.
My continuing saga.
Finding a lot of 2K 1440P LCD panels. They are single panels with controller 6" +/-, dual panels with a single controller 6"+/-, single panels with controller 8" sizes. Many phone display panels as well.

I am discovering how long peeps have been at this HMD subject as well. ultimately its issues have not really changed in its whole inception.
just now display panel tech is approaching usefulness but.....

somehow I think that the current snorkle face device is of very limited use and is just beating a dead horse. I wonder about the super near eye tack and how the software is being employed with the panels and stereoscopic 3D.
I do know that periphial vision being filled is important, and the ability to tight focus specific objects for depth perception, and an amount of overall picture clarity so the eyes are not straining constantly.

VR is for
manufacturing design of complex systems, need quality and clarity.
Gaming, need semi-quality and clarity
social networking, anything will do

For a reasonably priced consumer version HMD, only social networking is covered. If you wanna drop thousands, manufacturing design is covered. But we want reasonable for gaming don't we!

I want to buy 2 separate panels, each with own control board. one would be primary monitor 1, the other secondary monitor 2. From here I can use NVidia CP to either clone or extend the 2. I believe I get also use nView to get stereoscopic views. From a monitor control stand point, for basic pc control of dual monitors, whats wrong with this basic concept concerning an HMD?

The snorkel aspect of these devices is less than desirable IMO. I am really interested in a device where I sit and control a VR machine, plane, tank or race car. I do not want a room scale device, seriously.....what I am saying is this device needs to be specific for airplanes and race cars, that's ALL!

I bought a $20 scooter helmet that's got drop down visors. Gonna fit it out with the hardware, gonna cut it up and install the displays, some kind of motion set up and some earphone for coms. Gonna put a fan on it to keep head cool. Using a aircraft like helmet will serve 2 purposes, its a cockpit helmet so there is a psychological feeling, I want the displays to flip up and down for real world access ease, and I want to push the display farther from the eye. Increasing the FOV and using larger dia lens. The current trend seems to be smaller display closer to eye, I want to have a slightly larger display, slightly farther away. The helmet should provide a lot of stability as a mount and allow me to play with hardware to eye placement if I configure mount right then adjustment would be ez.

I am still chasing down panels tho. Need LCD TFT, LTPS or IZGO, 36xx X 1440P @60Hz.
Anyone know of HDMI controller board for the SONY Xperia Z5 4K display?
Anyone using Thunderbolt3 with VR?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

You are relentless, best of luck for successful outcome.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

Dilip wrote:You are relentless, best of luck for successful outcome.
I really likes this panel, whats wrong with it?
https://www.amazon.com/Driver-Board-256 ... B072C53C5B

Yuppers,
especially something like this. Hard to get latest info. Peeps think the VR revolution is over. VR sites seem dead. Open source carried pc's, it carried phones, now its VR. If peeps let corp world control, ie:facebook, get set for mediocrity for VR in our lifetime, mine any way lol.

LOOK, the RIFT is terrible as a Consumer Version release. We whine or we fix it ourselves.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

HARE wrote: I really likes this panel, whats wrong with it?
https://www.amazon.com/Driver-Board-256 ... B072C53C5B
Seemingly good are you going to use two of these? How are you going to feed them video and what card you are planning to use?
HARE wrote:Peeps think the VR revolution is over. VR sites seem dead. Open source carried pc's, it carried phones, now its VR. If peeps let corp world control, ie:facebook, get set for mediocrity for VR in our lifetime, mine any way lol.
Misconception, actually VR Revolution is in its core infancy, there is still issue of powerful GPU install base so VR HMD makers are holding up till large number of people do have required processing power
once its there, Already 4K per eye 3.5" panels are in existence http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57677/sam ... index.html which will replace current Rift and Vive panels.
HARE wrote:LOOK, the RIFT is terrible as a Consumer Version release.
You are still only considering resolution and not admiring tracking, wireless VR controllers or good software support and experiences available for current gen VR hmds, are you?
*Have you ever played RAW DATA on HTC VIVE ...Please go play it you will know what i am talking about*
*Even Robo-Recall on Oculus Rift with Touch controllers is the best experience*

Lets assume you made one supper cool and pixel packed HMD, From where will you bring amazing experiences to run on it? Are you going to make your own software
lets assume you made apps for your hmd, do you think you can enjoy BATMAN ARKHAM ASYLUM if you know every twist and turn all details about plot all tight corners ... you probably won't.
We more like game because of uncertainty and surprise element ...

So better wait ...
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

Misconception, actually VR Revolution is in its core infancy, there is still issue of powerful GPU install base so VR HMD makers are holding up till large number of people do have required processing power
once its there, Already 4K per eye 3.5" panels are in existence http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57677/sam ... index.html which will replace current Rift and Vive panels.

Not really, HMD's have been around for 30 years, people could not afford them. Its just gotten into reach of dopes like me. Plus all such panels are not available. KOPIN has a micro panel reputed to have 1000+ ppl, so what, try and buy one now. 2 more years....................

You are still only considering resolution and not admiring tracking, wireless VR controllers or good software support and experiences available for current gen VR hmds, are you?
*Have you ever played RAW DATA on HTC VIVE ...Please go play it you will know what i am talking about*
*Even Robo-Recall on Oculus Rift with Touch controllers is the best experience*

The best games for this are cars and planes. yes many things are done well but the SDE negates all! period peeps keep trying to convince me that clarity is not as important. BS! Its everything! I am also convinced that how the 3D software works, adds to the SDE. I value my eyes, the rift causes eyestrain, the eye cannot focus on anything.

Lets assume you made one supper cool and pixel packed HMD, From where will you bring amazing experiences to run on it? Are you going to make your own software
lets assume you made apps for your hmd, do you think you can enjoy BATMAN ARKHAM ASYLUM if you know every twist and turn all details about plot all tight corners ... you probably won't.
We more like game because of uncertainty and surprise element ...

FPS's have a tendency to be close in, cars and planes use distance way more. Its the distance, panoramas that gets fuzzy.

I will prolly get beat on the software, Corp world is snapping up little guys everywhere. Corp world is making stuff so proprietary that open source of past seems non existant. I gonna build 1 anyway. The scooter helmet showed up, I got my dremel tool, now need to settle on LCD panel, panels and a quality driver board. Maybe If I build and show proof of concept someone with code skills will jump in....part of my decision process is setting up the HMD for panel upgrades with helmet rig.....

aquired parts so far,
Helmet
1 set of lens train

ps: Facebook is dropping the RIFT price again! If I had only waited 4 months, my rage would be 200 dollars less! FACEBOOK I want a refund!
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

Hey,
has anyone used SONY's 806 ppi xperia displays?

They are fairly cheap and easy to aquire, its the displayport to mipi boards that are tuff. Seems no retail for peeps. Analogix got a board but how to aquire a sample or retail product?????????????????????

The subject matter is quite proprietary in implementation. No one will even respond to an email inquiry.

There is a ppi tipping point where the eye cannot reg pixels. 806 is not it but its 3/4 of way there. I do not understand why all lower ppi offerings considering how long the 806 has been around................................
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Don't try DIY too hard

http://pimaxvr.com/8k-2/?lang=en

Pimax 8K may satisfy your thirst of flaw less vr

https://www.gearbest.com/pc-headset/pp_606555.html

Being sold here... Currently out of stock.. but keep an eye over it.

Mean while you can put your hands on PIMAX M0 seemingly good at $69 use it with
Nice 2k/2.5k/4k phone.

https://www.gearbest.com/vr-headset/pp_655926.html

Review here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuoqQ7e3cU
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

ja,

looking at the pi 8K. it appears to be sharp 806 ppi displays. they still following the hang off the face design. Which I hate.

The Chinese scooter helmet I bought is a bit better than I thought as well. Since I want a rig for sitting cockpits, an all head rig is a must. Change the weight balance, and add to immersion way more I feel.

Pimax reviews are all over the boards as well. Minimal corp support, piplay bad.....considered perfect for chair play gaming.....

I never liked console gaming units, always went pc for games. I think this is part of my issue. All these current manufacturers are making console style VR units, but the market calls for HMD's that cross borders. I want to play the game I choose, with the VR HMD I choose, just like any other display device can and does.

I mean chit, I built a new pc, bought a rift and dam, a couple a grand disappointment. I can build my own disappointment/failure, I did not expect to pay for the priviledge.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

HARE wrote:I can build my own disappointment/failure, I did not expect to pay for the privilege.
Wowee you are very right.. ok share your build pics and what is that you achieved through this project.. once its done.

Pimax 4k has few of limitation i my self pointed out in previous posts... but still there is no other viable alternative, as no other commercial product (Read Purchasable)
available at 4K or 8K. Even the 8k one too now just a kick-starter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pi ... n=cc143a74

I think they will improve on their shortcomings... ( See KS video they are coming with PSVR like lift up visor design, also lighthouse like tracking and controllers too)

but you cant predict as long as there is no final product trusted review you see or product you try your self..
So i be eager to see your future adventure.. Best of luck buddy..
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

right now the hold up for moi is the displayport to mipi control board.

pimax 8K appears to be doing what I am attempting, same hardware choices.

The software is 50% of the SDE issue as well. I find it amazing how its all blamed on display tech, when the software applications are bad as well. Main reason I am not rushing in. My limited googling shows to much software manipulation to create the false sense of depth. Which has led to flickering, poor colors and contrast, poor picture clarity. Someone needs to write an OS which is native for VR, not an added overlay.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

https://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/20494 ... China.html

Only 30Hz refresh for 806ppi.

Dang it, need the displayport version.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

pringles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

fitted lens train
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

Yea! I'm still lurk'in and learn'in.

I got lucky choosing the helmet I chose, I have been able to re-purpose, reuse, alter, adapt, just plain force my will on. What I have posted is just the helmet with lens train. Gonna place some slides in it to show lenseing.

It still needs some luv fit wise for comfort and ease of use but I am now ready to fit the displays into the face plate.
I still am researching this. Really want a minimum of 806 ppi. 5.5" 4K displays are available now, but they are hdmi, only 60Hz refresh, 30ms response time. Really need a display port, multi res, multi refresh.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Wow, that's impressive.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

TY
I added some adjustment options. Its now quite easy to put and take off. The floating display visor, as I have dubbed it, does just that. Right now it floats right in front of my eyes, there is no downward pressure or front face loading. The forces are all pick upped by the total head support,
altho my visor is approximate in weight to my rift, you do not notice it. I plan on adding a cpu cooler fan on top to pull air thru the helmet.

Of course things will change when I add the displays and head tracking but I have hopefully made the correct allowances for the additions with current format. I am still aiming for a dual display HMD. It appears that I can buy the aou 4K panel with an HDMI to mipi board now.

As you see, I'm serious about this. Facebook pissed me off, so facebook is about to see a dummy out do them. It might not be any record breaking device, but it will beat the CV1, this is my goal.
HMD's should be just another display device that can get bought and whored around. The industries attempt to force a type of consul gaming is gonna kill it, dopes..................
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

The relentless....... ;)
Urnsheme
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Urnsheme »

I'm curious to see how this goes. are you going to worry about positional tracking or just keep it 3DOF for simplicity? since you say it's for cockpit games anyway.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

I might be buying a 806 ppi display with hdmi 1.4 control board x2, today.
not the best response time, not the best refresh rate, but it moves me forward with build and I am establishing a working relationship with the seller. Thing about planes and cars, you are not jumping around, in fact some things are linear in draw calls. the path is predictable to a point.

Unfortunately this build will not have a wide FOV, the displays narrowest is 69mm, I'm using 60mm dia lens, maximum lens dia would be 65mm for 1st build, with displays mounted portrait mode. I intend a landscape mount try but that's different lensing. At 60mm dia I get a little more FOV than the RIFT, but the lens abberations appear way less. I have mounted an old style slide and taken a bad pic thru the lens train, its not bad, in fact its pretty dam good..

Yes head tracking a must, near eye with head tracking is the whole point. The HMD only needs to accomplish this, nothing else.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

a. Model LS055DSX05(G), Sharp brand

b. Model LS055D1SX04, Sharp brand

c. Model H546uan01.0, AUO brand

5.5 806 ppi displays, I have read the specs on the AUO and the Sharp ...X04, but the Sharp ...X05(G) has been elusive. Whats different with the unknown one?

Which is best considered choice for a HDMI 1.4 pc display, opinions please?
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

visor fine adjustment options in place.

Since adding the panels will alter something, a little adjustment always welcome.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

Old style slide of an actor acting. Hard to get phone past eye piece for good shot but you get the jist. the lens train is adjustable so once I have panels, well.....

I found a link, led me to a site, today I began the order process for 2 SONY Xperia 4K displays with HDMI driver board, a complete display to HDMI input port. If it pans out for real. I will post it.

Just leaped, $208/ sample set. sample set includes, soup to nuts, from SONY Z5P Display, to HDMI 1.4 signal port. maybe we see if 806 ppi is worth it....
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

here we go..................

just unwrapped. there so delicate, like potato chips, 806 ppi chips................
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

indeed appearing too delicate.. handle with care. Can't wait to find read reviews.
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

I submit to you the FRANKEN 806

I can get 1920x1080, 1080p @60hZ/DISPLAY, with 806ppi.
I can get 2560x1440 native @60Hz/ display, with 806ppi
I can clone them together, only draw back is they will not do surround in wide format, only 2060x1920. I cannot clone to my identical res HDTV, it roles into profile aspect.
It will use TrackIMU for headtracking, on order.
Possibly the best pixel density available. Now I step into the abyss, software.

I do need help, please.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Looks promising from outside.. Must be pixel packed inside. Can you take a pic through optics one you are done with software?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hey i'll try and help a bit with software, heres some links. I'm not sure if OSVR can do that resolution you got.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIYRift/commen ... h=7e1dcea8

https://github.com/OSVR/SteamVR-OSVR

I think using OSVR might be the best software to use with Steam VR because it is open source unless Kronos gets its work on.

https://www.google.ca/search?ei=XOJEWu_ ... DXIDPSdadQ Basic google search

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Pimax Software may be useful.. try if you can get from somewhere.. Since your prototype more like Pimax, i see more viable there..
HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

TY folks, ty for links.

I have been looking into OSVR and the HDK software. This prolly best route but I am code illiterate. I could prolly cut and paste existing stuff but still no clue, yet, where to even start.

I'm not so sure its that hard to drive, It will do 1080P, 1920x1080, but at the 806 ppi. I am just making a cockpit, HMD,/ headtracking and that's it. It should be just another type of display device, not a console style game device. The simpler it is, the more you can do with existing software, the easier it is to make new software for its use. yes. Its about the software, making things for software use. Y'all consider yourself lucky I cannot code. My knack is to use off the shelf, over the counter approaches to make stuff better. I imagine I would code similarly. Just to old now.

Right now what I want to do is use the two displays in clone mode. Then get a sxs converter going and then use cross eye stereoscopic. The current lens arrangement I use will not allow for 2, 1920x1080 displays placed in wide screen format. The IPD is just to large for near eye. Cloneing, sxs will allow me to focus on the inside half of each screen, satisfying the IPD for moi, helping the binocular effect. I thought this would be pretty straight forward with something like tridef as a test. I could setup the displays vertically, but in future I want to expand FOV, so I want to start with displays in landscape mode. The displays also have some config anomalies for surround mode.

I am waiting on a TrackIMU unit for headtracking. I think I will get an HDMI splitter with EDID options as well for the narrow fov, cloned displays attempt.

You should see these displays, near eye. The SDE is still there, HOWEVER, it is a double digit % better than the RIFT. It is the minimum of where the CV1 should have started, IMO, considering the overall cost layout of several thousand dollars to use a rift. I still have not seen what the sxs conversion does with the layering. The displays are beautiful tho.

I had started this in a put up or shut up mind frame because I was so disappointed in the rift, but I realized that once I have established the different relationships, I can then take precise measurements and use a 3D printer too................it would be a visor to use with other...................
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hey I found this link, its a diy rift using OSVR : https://www.reddit.com/r/DIYRift/commen ... h=616191bd

Maybe try this tutorial and see what happens. I have an HDK2 headset and you need to have your diy hmd in extended mode. So monitor 1 left and extended diy hmd on monitor 2 right flipped i think. Theres a way to use direct mode in OSVR too which is best. Can you clone your diy hmd and have it extended?

Right now you have two hdmi ports coming from your video card to your hmd right? How many monitors do you have in display properties 2 or 3? This might be an none issue but just making sure.

Software may not be all that involved.

Cyberia on Youtube

HARE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HARE »

Extended mode, this is now defined as surround mode in NVidia, correct?

Unfortunately, I cannot place these 2 displays in surround mode, landscape wide screen, 1920x1080 + 1920x1080.
They will only do surround mode in there portrait mode, giving a 2160x1920. I can set up the physical part for this but later when I go for wider FOV I would just have to start over. Plus by cloning the displays, I can use side by side and set up for reverse eye left/right. This helps me to more forward with the software part.

Much of the stereoscopic effect appears to come from the physical relationships between eye, lens train, displays. I hold the visor in right spot and my target panels due merge in front of my face. Once I get sxs I will be able to tweak display placement for maximum stereo effect.

I need for tridef to recognize my device and use it for apps of my choice. Major headache is that all the 3d apps have gotten associated with the current crop of devices, and will recognize nothing else.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

HARE wrote:Extended mode, this is now defined as surround mode in NVidia, correct?
No extended is like having two separate screens (two viewports) surround is making all the displays one desktop screen (one viewport)
You may need to get a hdmi splitter and then extend you hmd.

If your going to use OSVR you can contact a guy named Kevin Godby. Hes a developer for OSVR software and hes very helpful if he has time. Look here : https://github.com/godbyk

If you can get one screen to show the left side and right screen show the right side of a sidebyside tridef game then it would be simple to create stereo3d. So all you would need to use in tridef is their sidebyside format. Thats the only one that would work.

Cyberia on Youtube

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”