LG D2342P-PN (Passive)

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
thereisnomouse
One Eyed Hopeful

LG D2342P-PN (Passive)

Post by thereisnomouse »

According to Akihabara, LG's first passive 3D gaming monitor will be available next week in Japan and priced at 29,800Yen (360$).

Some lucky french journalists from lesnumeriques.com looked at the device during IT Partners Exhibition. They found the 3D effect well rendered and asked the European price which was 279€ !

Could this monitor be the best have for Gaming solutions ? Did somebody ever tried it ? :polarized

Specifications :
3DS Friend Code : 1504-5739-1756
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: LG D2342P-PN (Passive)

Post by cybereality »

Well $360 is certainly a nice price. I imagine it works similar to the Zalman, maybe its even better. This could be really nice.
thereisnomouse
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thereisnomouse »

cybereality wrote:Well $360 is certainly a nice price. I imagine it works similar to the Zalman, maybe its even better. This could be really nice.
That's the point... I was looking for a good passive monitor and about to buy a Zalman when this one was announced. Waiting for a review... Next week maybe :woot
Zetsumei
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zetsumei »

No real change in viewing angles over the Zalman sadly, 12 deg 3d vertical is just too bad for me.
thereisnomouse
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thereisnomouse »

Zetsumei wrote:No real change in viewing angles over the Zalman sadly, 12 deg 3d vertical is just too bad for me.
Did you tried it ? Would be great to have a feedback :).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

As much as I love my Zalman, the scant viewing angles can be annoying at times. Still better than the 3DS, so I guess its within reason, but still. It would be nice to not have to worry about it.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I just noticed the big difference with the Zalman screen :

Screen surface treatment is anti-glare instead of the usual anti-reflect (that means it's a matte screen)
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
thereisnomouse
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thereisnomouse »

Which means a less-crisp image... you're right. Long live Zalman :polarized
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

My Zalman is gorgeous in the dark but it's a real mirror when there is any kind of light in the room.
I'll exchange it for a matte display any day. I may be tempted by this LG display, i'll see in June once i'll have moved to my new home.
Passive 3D forever !
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

...and this monitor does half vertical resolution 1920×540 pixels in 3D... pathetic :(

http://3dvision-blog.com/lgs-new-cinema ... 2p-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

has any other companies claimed or in the process of providing full resolution in Passive 3D ?

& monitor is available on ebay for $499 by one seller.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Iz3d-monitor (now discontinued) has full resolution in 3d while using passive glasses. The ghosting is a real killer though...
Some new displays has a similar construction as a parallax barrier screen but combined with alternating directed light they have full resolution even in 3d. I don't remember what specific brands that uses this tech though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Who the hell would like 2 frame @ 60hz input lag, and 1/2 res for gaming?? ( my bet is 2+ )
LG was bragging about alternating lines at 120hz ( with 60hz input) , but I don't beleive it , Samsung measured resolution , and they don't beleive it either. ( Sounds BS too)

Plus that flickerfree talk is some straight misleading marketing BS. That company should be ignored.

Next thing they'll sell is a white OLED backlit LCD TV , and they going to call it OLED and brag about how close it is to real RGB OLED , which of course it won't be.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I've already commented this several times but, the resolution is not really halved. Those pixels aren't gone, they are still there. Half of them go to one eye and the other half to the other.
It's true that it's worse than full resolution, it can't be other way, but I can tell you that it's nowhere as bad as halving the resolution.

I bother commenting because I think that those displays with passive glasses are so comfortable to use that I really prefer them over shutter-glasses with all that extra hardware, connections and issues. But they keep being smashed by that "half resolution" fallacy from people who hasn't ever tested one.

People should develop the habit of testing things before labeling so negatively.

(My own statement could be knocked down with this: "Do you like poo?", "No, I don't", "How do you know? Have you tasted it?") :D
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

From an engineering standpoint , this is so bad, no wonder it appears only lately.
While higher resolution benefits both 2D and 3D video, higher resolution in the 3D mode is most noticeable in the depth component of the 3D image. The higher resolution projector will produce a image depth that is consistent or smooth across the entire depth range. A lower resolution display will recreate depth at distinct levels, resulting in a cardboard cut-out or View-Master type effect.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Infocus ... Conclusion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's true that it's worse than full resolution, it can't be other way, but I can tell you that it's nowhere as bad as halving the resolution.
so don't you think you re missing out on some resolution then, and I do think I don't want to miss out on any extra spatial resolution.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

tritosine2k wrote:so don't you think you re missing out on some resolution then, and I do think I don't want to miss out on any extra spatial resolution.
As my own quotation that you have used (but not read (?) ) states, it's worse than full resolution. Necessarily.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

You know , & I love it how Blackshark labels FullHD vs 720p = supersampling vs . (...) , and also labels the lack of spatial resolution "gorgeous" ...makes no sense whatsover. :lol:
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

It's always better to have it all. That's right. I also prefer to have it all.

It's that I find sad that wonderful displays like the Zalman displays, which is a delight to use, have all that bad opinions. Think about that: those who own a Zalman love it, those who has never had a glance at it express their hate for it.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

its not zalman, everyone could make it ,even Apple could make it with their sales numbers, putting a foil on a display is not some superzalman fpd übertech.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

But almost none dares to make it because they fear people's reaction to the "half resolution" tag.

We could have "cheap" and easy to use 3D monitors all around already, coexisting with 120Hz displays for shutter-glasses. Then people could choose depending on preferences, budget, main purpose or whatever.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

We could have "cheap" and easy to use 3D monitors all around already
right , & LCD rebadging never gets old...

I think I couldn't stand anything worse than CRT or DLP input lag anymore.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

tritosine2k wrote:You know , & I love it how Blackshark labels FullHD vs 720p = supersampling vs . (...) , and also labels the lack of spatial resolution "gorgeous" ...makes no sense whatsover. :lol:
What ?
You're quote mining me here.

I don't label the lack of spatial resolution anything.
I've always said the half resolution was visible on this screen, but that it was not as horrible as many were suggesting and that the 3D effect looked great, especially with optimized interlacing.

The Zalman screen surface has a different texture from most LCD panels but it still does look gorgeous... until someone opens a window in the room and then it becomes a shiny mirror (still gorgeous, i do look good) with a few finger prints all over it (also gorgeous because they're mine, mouahahaha)

I bought my 22" Zalman display 3 years ago for about 300euro and was an amazing value for money.
Passive 3D forever !
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

wow this thread turned into a flame war. Seriously is this monitor that bad ? (I was thinking of buying it though :roll: )
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

crim3 wrote:those who own a Zalman love it
Or SELL it, like me...

I dont liked the lines, unreadable small texts, the small vertical viewing angle,
the lack of 50Hz, the glossiness, etc...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

What people fail to realize is that if you take an FPR passive display and an active display (running at the same refresh rate) and display a 3D video on both: for any given period of time you are getting the same amount of data transmitted to your eyes. With passive each eye gets half-resolution, constantly ALL THE TIME. With active shutter glasses you get a full resolution image but ONLY HALF THE TIME. The other half the time you see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Its the same amount of pixels. Perceptually, an active display is going to look better from a straight picture quality standpoint. But that doesn't mean the passive displays look bad, and they have their own advantages. Not sure one is really "better" than the other. Its more of a personal preference. I think passive are a lot more practical, and have the potential to be much cheaper (if you factor in buying multiple glasses). The glasses are also easier on the eyes. However you get a loss of resolution and (more importantly) narrow viewing angles. But the quality of the 3D is different, since your eyes are seeing a simultaneous persistent image.

What most people don't understand, is that the mind is able to mend the 2 images together in the mind and replace some of the resolution that is lost. I have noticed this on the VR920 headset (and even more the Wrap 310) where a 640x480 resolution will actually appear to be in higher resolution. Not HD by any means, but much better than people think when they hear 640x480. Same thing with the Zalman "half-resolution" display. Still not full HD, but its a lot better than people give it credit. Its funny because a lot of people come asking about 3D monitors, especially for use with AMD cards, but then are immediately not interested in the Zalman. I think its just because people have been trained to look at specs sheets and make judgments based on that, but the specs alone don't tell the full story. Especially with something like 3D, you just have to see it with your own eyes.
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

cybereality wrote:for any given period of time you are getting the same amount of data
How?
With Zalman one eye sees 60 HALF frames in one second.
With shutterglasses one eye sees 60 WHOLE frames per sec. Isn't?
OK, half the time is black, but in this case the other eye sees the WHOLE frame.
If it would be the same amount of data, why don't need the Zalman dual link dvi
like shutterglasses technology? Because its half the data in the cable.
Correct, if i'm wrong.

"Especially with something like 3D, you just have to see it with your own eyes."

I saw it for a few weeks, and sell it :(
Still wait for a miracle: fullhd monitor with passive technology.
That's why i like my dual projector polarized setup :P
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

relaxman wrote:
cybereality wrote:for any given period of time you are getting the same amount of data
How?
With Zalman one eye sees 60 HALF frames in one second.
With shutterglasses one eye sees 60 WHOLE frames per sec. Isn't?
OK, half the time is black, but in this case the other eye sees the WHOLE frame.
If it would be the same amount of data, why don't need the Zalman dual link dvi
like shutterglasses technology? Because its half the data in the cable.
Correct, if i'm wrong.
Well yes and no. If you are comparing a 120Hz display to a 60Hz display, then yeah. But that is not really a fair comparison. Its like comparing a 1080P HDTV to a 720P HDTV. Its apples to oranges. So if you assume you have a 120Hz FPR display (that can use both active or passive glasses) then my example would stand.
relaxman wrote: I saw it for a few weeks, and sell it :(
Still wait for a miracle: fullhd monitor with passive technology.
That's why i like my dual projector polarized setup :P
Some people don't seem to like it. Its not for everyone. There are also people that can't stand the flicker of shutter glasses. So it goes both ways.
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

I have a question here,

in layman terms,
in 1920x1080 3D resolution on passive 3D, only 1920x540 is perceived by one eye and the other horizaltal lines in 1920x540 is processes by other eye ? If the horizontal lines in 540 resolution is different for each eye(eg. like one has even lines and other I receives odd lines ) doesn't that mean its full 1080p resoluton together. eventually giving full 1080p 3D resolution. ???

this is how it works or it has a different way entirely ?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

1080p (or FullHD) is a video standard : it refers to the lines of the content and display, not the lines your eyes can see.

A full reoslution 120Hz shutter based display with 1080 lines is 1080p
A half resolution 60Hz FPR based display with 540 lines per eye (1080 total) is 1080p
A 1/8 resolution auto-stereoscopic 8x multi-view display with 480x540 resolution per eye is 1080p
etc...
1080p 3D means 1080p for each eye (it's twice the resolution of 1080p)

In layman's term : Zalman and LG 1080p FPR displays are half vertical resolution, it's not as good as true 1080p 3D displays but it still look gorgeous.
Passive 3D forever !
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

what about Passive 3d TV http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/tel ... LW6500.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here also the 3D resolution is half 1920x540 ? or Full ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, those LG passive sets and also some of the the Vizio line (which use the same panels) are interlaced just like Zalman.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

neol wrote:what about Passive 3d TV http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/tel ... LW6500.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here also the 3D resolution is half 1920x540 ? or Full ?
Yeah, those TVs will only get 1920x540 per eye. I haven't seen them, they may still look OK. I know with the Zalman it doesn't look as bad a you'd think "half-resolution" would look. However its not as crisp as a full HD set, so the image will be a little softer or less detailed.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

While higher resolution benefits both 2D and 3D video, higher resolution in the 3D mode is most noticeable in the depth component of the 3D image. The higher resolution projector will produce a image depth that is consistent or smooth across the entire depth range. A lower resolution display will recreate depth at distinct levels, resulting in a cardboard cut-out or View-Master type effect.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Infocus ... Conclusion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

This quote is hilarious, it does not make any sense. Resolution has an impact on the depth of the 3D? Really? :lol:
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

It may sound stupid but I don't think it is that much, the more pixels you have the more levels of depth you obtain. Depth is completely related to the parallax between images, and the number of discrete parallax values depend on the resolution of the display.

If you remember the Crysis 2 screenshots we talked about some weeks ago, the parallax of most of the scene was within 3 pixels, hence exhibiting some sort of cardboard effect. With an higher resolution this cardboard effect would have been less noticeable because of the wider range of parallax. Sure it's a bad example taken in an extreme situation, but it's still a good illustration of the relationship between resolution and perceived depth.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thats true to a certain extent. The only problem is that FPR displays still retain the full horizontal resolution, and the horizontal parallax mostly accounts of the 3D effect. This would be more true if you were comparing 720P to 1080P (however this becomes less of a choice when dealing with HDMI 1.4). But I am not too sure about this "cardboard cut-out" effect. I hear this mentioned a lot, and its just not the case. Well, maybe with some movies that were budget conversions, but with most games that is just not true (discounting the fail that is Crysis 2). And I used to game at 640x480 on the VR920, it looked pretty friggin' 3D to me.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

-self evident truth to some , hilarious & funny to others

not only spatial resolution is lacking with these displays,

but since it s supposed to be "flickerfree", temporal resolution is lacking too.

how on earth *ANYTHING* remains unaffected?

Ah I know, FPR über-sm(e)artech @ 360hz with improved motion resolution of flickerfreeness. That must be it. Teh answer against gimmick active glasses , now, with added (bieb)ergonomics in 3D. Pretty cool, & unique approach. ;)
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

tritosine2k wrote:-self evident truth to some , hilarious & funny to others

not only spatial resolution is lacking with these displays,

but since it s supposed to be "flickerfree", temporal resolution is lacking too.

how on earth *ANYTHING* remains unaffected?

Ah I know, FPR über-sm(e)artech @ 360hz with improved motion resolution of flickerfreeness. That must be it. Teh answer against gimmick active glasses , now, with added (bieb)ergonomics in 3D. Pretty cool, & unique approach. ;)
that didn't make much sense to me, come again... english plz :P
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

tritosine2k wrote:-self evident truth to some , hilarious & funny to others
No, it is just wrong. Resolution has very little, if anything, to do with objects seeming to have "cardboard cutout effect". Those people are probably very inexperienced with 3D, and it shows from their article, so I do not think it makes sense to take their word.

Tons of people here play in 3D on the old Zalman, which is 1680x1050 cut in half, and others play on the VR920, which is only 640x480, and nobody complains about the 3D effect. Heck, the 3DS is even lower res, 400x240 per eye, and some games look fantastic!

Content is what decides cardboard effect, not resolution.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I have an idea ! Let's Test it with CRT!
CRT is still superior compared to most displays, especially cheap digital displays, those have soooooo many issues I lost count.
So , that megabuck pricing for military-grade CRT HMD's is very well justified. LCD, could not became better overnight & thats about it.

Neol , please google spatial vs temporal resolution , most displays make a tradeoff there especially digital ones, LG's FPR tries to get away trading away both, and they are compensating with their schizophrenic PR.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/11/lg-w ... d-is-best/
The Wall Street Journal points out LG's print ads currently running in Korea (they could be running here already, but we'd have to read physical magazines or newspapers to know for sure) claim that unlike the competition, it will work even when viewers lay down on their sides, though the effect may be slightly weakened. Samsung responded by citing experts recommending keeping your head horizontal to watch 3D since the cameras used to film it are aligned horizontally, and an executive apparently called LG's engineers "stupid" at a press conference, although reports of a "yo mama so fat" diss could not be confirmed.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Flat panel display technology, mainly LCD, has come a long way in recent years. The latest 120Hz displays, like the Acer HN274H, are competitive with what I remember CRT looking like. Maybe even better, I'm not sure. But its significantly better than older LCD displays. Or go to the store and check out the Sony Bravia 3D HDTVs. They really do look great, it doesn't get much better. Things are improving, gotta stop living in the past.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

tritosine2k wrote:how on earth *ANYTHING* remains unaffected?
Maybe all the problem is that you are not realizing that nobody is saying that. What we are trying to explain here is that it's not that bad as it may sound, simply that.

Return to “3D Monitors”