OSVR at Immersed 2016

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

OSVR at Immersed 2016

Post by Neil »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTWwNl56FBQ

OSVR recently announced a collaboration with Valve's SteamVR platform.  We thought it fitting to share Justin Cooney's presentation about OSVR and what their open source platform is about.

Read full article...
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: OSVR at Immersed 2016

Post by cadcoke5 »

I am afraid the barely understandable audio, and the washed-out image of the projection made the video un-watchable for me.

I am sure you are already aware of these issues. I know it can often be a challenge to get usable results in this sort of situation. And you may not even realize the problems is that bad until you get to watch the recording in a quiet room with a larger screen.

The room needed to be made darker, to provide for better images of the screen (and probably for the audience as well). Also, if it were zoomed-in more, the images on the screen would be larger. Though, the person speaking would have to be cautioned about where he goes out of camera range. The recording needs a direct-feed from the microphone. But, of course, there would be potential issues since it is a hand-held microphone, and if the person speaking does not have good microphone technique.

Hopefully, the host will be more aware of these issues in the future.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Thanks for the heads-up. Next time we'll arrange a hand mic for the people asking questions. Maybe I can re-encode with better audio filtering. I'll try.

Regards,
Neil
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cadcoke5 »

I wasn't actually commenting about any issues with hearing the people asking questions. I didn't get that far. Rather, It was the reverb of the room itself that was being picked up by the mike.

I suspect a headset microphone would do better, since it would be so close to the mouth of the speaker, that you wouldn't need to turn the gain up much. So, this way, you pick up less of the room reverb.

In regards to questions from the audience, I think the easiest solution, is to convince your speaker that they need to repeat the question asked by the audience member. This way, you can get it clearly on the recording, and the other audience members on the other side of the room can hear what it was. Audience members are, in general, not used to using a microphone. So, you are never going to get them trained. If the speaker is not experienced in this, then you need someone there, who will say, "Repeat the question", every time it is necessary.

I know that sometimes they just use a general mike that is aimed towards the audience and fed to one tract of the recording. It is not amplified, so there is no feedback risk, and it can be kept relatively "hot". Perhaps with an automatic gain setting. This set-up allows for when there is more dialogue between the speaker and the audience member. You also get to catch laughter, and other audience group responses.

-Joe

Return to “MTBS News”