GeForce OpenGL stereo working in 3D Vision 314.07?!

ctrlaltdavid
One Eyed Hopeful

GeForce OpenGL stereo working in 3D Vision 314.07?!

Post by ctrlaltdavid »

Here's an interesting development: quad-buffered OpenGL stereoscopic 3D is working with 3D Vision on my GeForce 680M laptop!

Laptop configuration:
  • - GeForce 680M with 4GB video RAM.
  • - 3D Vision IR emitter built in.
  • - Windows 8 64-bit.
  • - NVIDIA GeForce 314.07 drivers, 18 Feb 2013.
I was going to investigate doing OpenGL to Direct3D to 3D Vision per OpenGL to Direct3D to 3D Vision: yes, it works great!, but I wanted to start with a simple example so I adapted the "HWFlipping" version of the "IperS” sample from an old Stereoscopic OpenGL Tutorial. ... I was stunned when the "3D" light on my notebook came on and found that it was indeed displaying in stereo 3D!

Note: My display had to be set to 120Hz before starting the program in order for stereo to work.

To investigate further, I created four test versions of the IperS program:
  • - Mono, windowed: 3D Vision Automatic does not work.
  • - Mono, full-screen: Ditto.
  • - Stereo, windowed: 3D Vision does not work.
  • - Stereo, full-screen: 3D Vision works!
So it looks like the GeForce stereo only works for OpenGL programs explicitly written for stereo and only if full screen.

I then tested previous driver versions: neither 310.70 17 Dec 2013 nor 310.90 5 Jan 2013 worked in stereo. So it looks like this stereo support was introduced in 314.07 18 Feb 2013.

There's no mention of quad-buffered OpenGL stereo support having been added in the 314.07 GeForce driver's release notes, http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3 ... -notes.pdf. However, there is a cryptic line in the 314.07 "Quadro and NVS Notebook Drivers" release notes, http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/Q ... -notes.pdf:
"Added Quad-buffered OpenGL Stereo support for Windows 8."

This is the only clue I could find. Hopefully this new stereo support isn't an unintentional release by NVIDIA; hopefully they won't yank it in the next driver version! (I also tried the beta 314.14 and 314.21 drivers and my test program still works in stereo for both, though still only in full-screen.)

So, is this stereo support universal for GeForce cards or does it depend on system configuration? For example:
  • - Graphics chip (my 680M is a recent chip)?
  • - Windows version (the cryptic line mentions Windows 8)?
  • - Notebook versus desktop (the title of the release notes with the cryptic line has "notebook")?
  • - Something else?
emblemparade
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: GeForce OpenGL stereo working in 3D Vision 314.07?!

Post by emblemparade »

This is promising but scary... if NVIDIA is not directly supporting, let alone declaring this support, it might disappear in the next version. I would be wary about building an application based on this.

It could be that it's a "bug," a QUADRO feture that somehow wasn't disabled for the GeForce driver build.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Interesting news, but I agree with emblemparade's concerns. If it's an unofficial feature it could disappear at any moment.
ctrlaltdavid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ctrlaltdavid »

I agree, it's definitely a concern that this might not be an intentional act by NVIDIA and that they may disable this functionality again (i.e., limit it to just a select few nominated OpenGL programs like Doom 3 BFG which are "allowed" to work with 3D Vision).

A new WHQL driver version, 314.22, was released today. Still nothing about this functionality in the release notes. I updated to it and retested: OpenGL stereoscopic 3D on GeForce still works as above.

It would be very interesting to discover what range of system configurations this GeForce OpenGL stereo 3D runs on. I can post a Zip file of my simple test program and/or source here if wanted and doing so is compatible with the etiquette of this forum.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, posting demos on the forum is fine. I have 3D Vision, I can test for you.
ctrlaltdavid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ctrlaltdavid »

Thanks very much.

The attached file, StereoTest.zip, contains a simple full-screen OpenGL quad-buffered stereo program. To use, enable and set up stereoscopic 3D in your NVIDIA Control Panel, set your monitor to 120Hz, then run the .exe.

It successfully displays in stereo 3D on my laptop configuration:
- Windows 8 64-bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M
- 4GB dedicated video RAM
- Built-in 3D Vision IR transmitter
- NVIDIA driver versions 314.07 or 314.22

What other GeForce system configurations does it work on?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I tried it, but it doesn't work at all. It says "pixel format with the necessary capabilities not found".

Win7 64-bit, GTX 470 SLI, Nvidia 306.97.
ctrlaltdavid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ctrlaltdavid »

cybereality wrote:I tried it, but it doesn't work at all. It says "pixel format with the necessary capabilities not found".
Win7 64-bit, GTX 470 SLI, Nvidia 306.97.
Thanks. I believe that the stereo OpenGL support only got added in driver 314.07 onwards. When I tried in older drivers 310.70 and 310.90, I got that same error message.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

OK. I updated to 314.22 and now the app runs. The first time it was working good, in 3D. Every other time I ran it, it started, but never properly went into 3D mode. The glasses would flicker for a split second, and the app itself would look like it was page-flipping, but the glasses wouldn't turn on. Not sure what happened.
jojo85
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jojo85 »

Hi there,
my first post, yay.
I just read your post. Have you tried to install the quadro drivers with a modded inf, and see what happens?
ctrlaltdavid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ctrlaltdavid »

@cybereality: That’s very odd. I can successfully view the test program multiple runs (both double-clicking on the .exe in Explorer and running it from a command prompt). Thanks very much for trying it out.

@jojo85: No, I for one have not tried using a Quadro driver with modified inf.
AlexV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlexV »

I have also been able to get most recent driver working with the demo code posted.

@Cyberreality
OK. I updated to 314.22 and now the app runs. The first time it was working good, in 3D. Every other time I ran it, it started, but never properly went into 3D mode. The glasses would flicker for a split second, and the app itself would look like it was page-flipping, but the glasses wouldn't turn on. Not sure what happened.

Did you make sure you monitor was set to 120hz? For some reason reinstalling the driver made my monitor go back to 60hz and I had you same problem you describe. Once I switched to 120hz the stereo works fine.

The monitor stays dimmer even after the program exits. Is this just me and my monitor or does this happen for everyone?

Also this driver seems to have broken my DirectX code which used the NV_STEREO_IMAGE_SIGNATURE hack. Does anyone else have some code using the hack to verify if its just me or not?

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel Xeon E5 @ 2.60Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 680
Dual ASUS VG278H (with built in IR)
m0nkeyb0i
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by m0nkeyb0i »

cybereality wrote:OK. I updated to 314.22 and now the app runs. The first time it was working good, in 3D. Every other time I ran it, it started, but never properly went into 3D mode. The glasses would flicker for a split second, and the app itself would look like it was page-flipping, but the glasses wouldn't turn on. Not sure what happened.
I get this too, the emitter icon goes green and the app goes into stereoscopic, but the glasses won't pick it up.

Win 8 64bit pro
i7 3770k
Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
2GB VRAM
16GB RAM
Wired emitter
v1 glasses
Samsung 2233RZ monitor in 120Hz mode
Driver 314.22
AlexV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlexV »

hmm? Are you sure your monitor is still in 120hz after installing the driver?

@cybereality Are you using Version 1 or 2 of 3D Vision?
m0nkeyb0i
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by m0nkeyb0i »

AlexV wrote:hmm? Are you sure your monitor is still in 120hz after installing the driver?
Still set to 120hz in the preferences, but switching off it and back then running the program displays in 3D, but after restarting it, reverts back to 3d display with no response from the glasses.
AlexV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlexV »

Interesting, I wonder if its not exiting properly at the end of the program. I noticed that my screen remains dim after I quit the program but it still starts fine for me. I might try and write or find another Quad Buffered OpenGL app and try it out.

EDIT: Great news guys, it seems that this was an intentional update to the driver. Here is email exchange between my self and Nvidia.

Me:
I am a software developer writing some software to test human vision. One of my tests use 3D Vision to test human stereo depth perception. My code uses the NV_STEREO_IMAGE_SIGNATURE technique to render stereo pairs when I upgraded to 314.22 form 306.23 my code was broken and the program does not work. I am using a ASUS VG278H monitor and 3d vision 2. The IR emitter gets triggered fine but the L and R eye images get rendered side by side? Was support for the technique dropped?

Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1
Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60gz
16 GB RAM
Dual ASUS VG278H

HP Workstation z820

Also did you guys mean to enable Quad Buffered OpenGL Stereo support for the recent Geforce Drivers. It seems that QB Open GL is working for drivers the 314 drivers. Please see this thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=16849

I do hope that this was an intentional release but considering there was nothing in the Change Notes I doubt it was.

NVIDIA:
Hello,

Thank you for your submission. This was intentional actually, unfortunately we didn't get our documentation updated online. I confirmed that they're still working on the documentation so that should come soon. As for the NV_STEREO_IMAGE_SIGNATURE issue, I'll be happy to submit a bug to our development team to investigate if you can provide a sample app that demonstrate the failure. The first step will be to have our quality lab try to replicate the failure, once we are able to replicate the failure then we can escalate to development team to take a look.

Best regards,
Ray
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I was in 120Hz mode. I could run other 3D content (like the Nvidia test). Also, I had the same issue where my monitor remained dim after closing the app (changing the refresh rate in Nvidia settings and the changing it back will fix this).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well now it seems to work consistently. Not sure what has changed (aside from having a Rift plugged in and mirrored).

The screen still stays dim on exit, though.
hackish
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hackish »

ctrlaltdavid wrote:I agree, it's definitely a concern that this might not be an intentional act by NVIDIA and that they may disable this functionality again (i.e., limit it to just a select few nominated OpenGL programs like Doom 3 BFG which are "allowed" to work with 3D Vision).

A new WHQL driver version, 314.22, was released today. Still nothing about this functionality in the release notes. I updated to it and retested: OpenGL stereoscopic 3D on GeForce still works as above.

It would be very interesting to discover what range of system configurations this GeForce OpenGL stereo 3D runs on. I can post a Zip file of my simple test program and/or source here if wanted and doing so is compatible with the etiquette of this forum.
Not sure if this is what you were looking for:
"Supports OpenGL 4.3 for GeForce 400-series and later GPUs."

Unfortunately I see they dropped Vista for the 3d support so I'll have to upgrade to enjoy it.
AlexV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlexV »

Not sure if this is what you were looking for:
"Supports OpenGL 4.3 for GeForce 400-series and later GPUs."
I think this simple refers to adding support for new calls/methods in OpenGL 4.3 not QB Stereo.
ctrlaltdavid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ctrlaltdavid »

AlexV wrote:EDIT: Great news guys, it seems that this was an intentional update to the driver. Here is email exchange between my self and Nvidia.
That's great news! Thanks very much Alex for finding it out.

Regarding the display being dim after exiting: this doesn't happen on my PC configuration - neither for that test program nor for a more substantial program I did a quick proof-of-concept conversion to stereo to see whether it works (and it does).
ctrlaltdavid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ctrlaltdavid »

In case it fixes the "display left dim on exit" problem and anyone's interested, I modified the test program to do a glutLeaveGameMode() call upon exit (to match the glutEnterGameMode() call used at program start).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m0nkeyb0i
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by m0nkeyb0i »

ctrlaltdavid wrote:In case it fixes the "display left dim on exit" problem and anyone's interested, I modified the test program to do a glutLeaveGameMode() call upon exit (to match the glutEnterGameMode() call used at program start).
Doesn't look dim on exit, but still won't run in 3D on second launch without resetting the refresh rate manually.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Amazing.

Can confirm working on my Win7 x64 system, specs below.

Keyshot still throws up an error when starting in StereoScopic mode though.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
hackish
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hackish »

W7 X64 GTX 570 3.14.22 works!
quadrophoeniX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by quadrophoeniX »

WUUUT? Juszt to get it right: does this really mean native support for any QBS3D app on standard geforces? :woot
If that's true I got to rip the Quadro 4000 out of my system, because the test app crashes with that "pixel format with necessary capabilities not found". (314.22 for Geforce AND Quadro) or could it be that it's due to having hooked up a secondary screen?
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

I get the same error as above:
C:\Users\Helifax\Desktop\StereoTest>ipers_stereo.exe
IperS V1.0
Written by David Bucciarelli (tech.hmw@plus.it)
GLUT: Fatal Error in ipers_stereo.exe: pixel format with necessary capabilities
not found.

I am on Win7 X64, GTX 590 but Surround enabled (3 monitors and SLI)
Disabling both Surround and SLI didnt do anything for me... I am using the official WHQL drivers...

Any idea?
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov
quadrophoeniX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by quadrophoeniX »

Yeah, pleaaaseee. I ripped out my Quadro, reinstalled 314.21 updated to 320.14, all with no avail. (Oh Yeah running a Sammy S27A750D in EDID OR but I cannot believe that shoul be the prob...)

You lucky sods, has someone a copy of descent 2 to check out whether d2x-XL would work? (need to add "-quad_buffering" to the d2x.ini in %gamedir%\config and then be able to select S3D and Shutter in render options) NEEEEED to have that ....
ctrlaltdavid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ctrlaltdavid »

Re GLUT: Fatal Error in ipers_stereo.exe: pixel format with necessary capabilities not found.

You'll encounter this error if you haven't enabled Stereoscopic 3D in your NVIDIA Control Panel. Or if Stereoscopic 3D is enabled but the Stereoscopic 3D Display Type is set to 3D Vision Discover (quad-buffered stereo doesn't work with Discover). You also need to set your display to 120Hz.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Hmm weird.. I will try again..
Maybe it doesnt like SLI and Surround all in 3D...as for the refresh rate yes is 120hz on all 3 screens and 3D Vision is set as default rendering method (not discover) ...

I will let you know:)

Edit:

OK, I managed to make it work;))
- 3D Vision was wroking in SLI mode
- 3D Vision was working on one monitor
- 3D Vision was NOT working in 3D Surround (3 monitors)
- 3D Vision works only in FULLSCREEN in windows 7, even if the app doesn't give a pixel format error 3D Vision doesn't kick in. However it might be possible to work under windows 8 since the way resolutions and monitors are handled is different.

So apparently that was the problem. Their support is partial;)) but very good thing indeed so far!
Thx for the help!
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov
ctrlaltdavid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ctrlaltdavid »

Windows 8 is the same in that the application needs to be full-screen in order for 3D Vision to kick in.
Rrzis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rrzis »

I can't confirm that I was using the 314.07 driver because I'm not feeling too keen on installing 314.07 right this very moment... But - Earlier this year I played The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena in 3D using stock nvidia 3D Vision + 3D TV Play drivers. I fired the game up just a couple days ago and... no 3D. I was actually surprised since the last time I played it (which happened to be the first time), I got 3D and so I thought it was normal. There might be more goodies in this driver or another than what has been uncovered thus far.

I'm running 550 ti + 3D TV Play on Windows 7 Pro x64.
2013 :: AMD FX-8350 8 Cores @4GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident X | ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | EVGA GTX 550 TI 2GB | 46" Passive 3D LED + 15" LCD | 5TB Internal Storage + 32GB Internal SSD Cache | 2x CS Liquid Cooling | LG 3DBDRW MDISC | DVDRW (LabelTag) w/CF | G19 LCD | G700 | OCZZ850M (80+ Gold) | Samsung Digital 5.1 + RT DVD Video RW | AverMedia HD Tuner | M-Audio Delta 1010LT | Win 7 Pro x64 + XP Pro + Fedora x64 | 3D Vision / 3DTV Play | iZ3D | No OC
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Well I just tried the 314.07 and the 314.22 drivers neither worked on my system Win 7 64bit... I did get the Stereo test to work tho.. I tried Q3, Dragons Lair Return
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

The_Nephilim wrote:Well I just tried the 314.07 and the 314.22 drivers neither worked on my system Win 7 64bit... I did get the Stereo test to work tho.. I tried Q3, Dragons Lair Return

Hey Has this thread died?? I am trying to getOpenGL support in S3D working on my system but only the test application is working none of the OpenGL games I tried like Q3 worked in S3D??

What I am trying to do is get an old Game working in Dos that uses OpenGL, would this even be possible since I use modified version of DosBox to convert 3DFX Game into an OpenGL game..??
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
quadrophoeniX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by quadrophoeniX »

Belated return to the party, but I've been offline for a perceived eternity due to moving places. Anyway, I still need to get this working. Next stop'll be Win 8.
But in the meantime, Nephilim: you shouldn't expect applications/games to work that do not natively support quad buffered stereo. This unfortunately includes all old (DOS based) preciouses and - Alas - OGL wrappers. If you dig old school classics you may still give the Descent resurrectng (was it ever dead?) project D2X-XL a go, which, btw. does have native quad buffered 3D output. It plays wonderful on my Quadro 4000 and Samsung S27A750D...
kyewong
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kyewong »

Hi @ctrlaltdavid

I tried your program, but it does not function at all. I have enabled the stereoscopic option in the control panel, and set the refresh freq. to 120 HZ.
However when I run the ipers_stereo.exe, the green light on the jitter does not turn on at all, so no ss effect can be seen through the 3D glasses.

My setup is:
nvidia 3D vision
Quadro 2000
Win7

Could anyone give me some suggestions on this problem please?
Rrzis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rrzis »

Apologies for going off-topic here.

The_Nephilim, there are a couple OGL to D3D wrappers that will let you get S3D on a very limited number of old games. You can also look for any possible source ports for your game. Q1, 2, and 3 have source ports that allow S3D (I use Darkplaces, and I played in S3D just last week). I have had little success with the wrappers, but some have worked in different situations. Hopefully I am not breaking any rules here, but here are some names: dgVoodoo2_2, GLDirect (the original version), gldirect5_opensource, Glidos. Out of the 12 wrappers that I continue to test, those are the only 4 that have ever worked for enabling S3D on a game. I assume you are using Glidos, and IIRC, you can enable S3D through some configuration of its wrapper -- IF the game is supported at all.
2013 :: AMD FX-8350 8 Cores @4GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident X | ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | EVGA GTX 550 TI 2GB | 46" Passive 3D LED + 15" LCD | 5TB Internal Storage + 32GB Internal SSD Cache | 2x CS Liquid Cooling | LG 3DBDRW MDISC | DVDRW (LabelTag) w/CF | G19 LCD | G700 | OCZZ850M (80+ Gold) | Samsung Digital 5.1 + RT DVD Video RW | AverMedia HD Tuner | M-Audio Delta 1010LT | Win 7 Pro x64 + XP Pro + Fedora x64 | 3D Vision / 3DTV Play | iZ3D | No OC
CarAbr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CarAbr »

Hi,

I have tested your program and it runs properly in 3D (stereo3D with NVIDIA 3d vision2 glasses and BenQ XL2420TX monitor @120Hz)
I have a Geforce 780GTX with 331.58 drivers.

Thank you.
ceashure
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ceashure »

I don't know how I missed this news. This is great!!!
It's exactly what I've been waiting for :)
₪ 3D Solution⁞ LG OLED 65" E6P, PSVR, HTC Vive Pro
Reaversword
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Reaversword »

If finally this is as appears, would be possible to use active shutter glasses for see the viewport in Autodesk Maya?.

I tested it, but still is impossible to get it working.

In this case, is Maya itself who is finding a non quadro card on the system and directly blocking the option?.

If this is in this way I want a Maya hack...

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”