Interesting somewhat new Nvidia SLI mode

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Interesting somewhat new Nvidia SLI mode

Post by 3DNovice »

Hmmm, just came across this, had no idea it existed. I did know that Checkerboard rendering is being widely used to achieve higher resolutions in games with less impact on performance.

Anyhow, perhaps some of you might still be using SLI and might want to check it out, if you are unaware of it. I've no idea if it works with 3D though. Since Nvidia no longer suppoerts
SLI officially, it only works with a few games.

NVIDIA Quietly Adds Experimental Multi-GPU Rendering Mode To Its GeForce Drivers

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-dri ... -rendering

As far as checkerboard rendering goes, Intel has a good article on it. It's nothing new, in fact Sony used this to get the performance needed to add 3D games to the PS3.
https://software.intel.com/content/www/ ... phics.html

Another good article
https://beebom.com/what-is-checkerboard-rendering/
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Re: Interesting somewhat new Nvidia SLI mode

Post by russellk »

This is the best resource I ever found for SLI info:

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulleti ... p?t=509912

There is talk within here of this mode, but I beleive it was removed from later drivers at one point. I don't really keep up with it any more.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

Very interesting, motivation enough to replace that old motherboard just to have SLI back, I'm thinking. I notice in the fix manager it says EA's SW Battlefront "SLI working perfectly" reason enough to justify. That and a 1070 and hb bridge just sitting there aging.... That's it I'm doing it. Old drivers aren't an issue on that one, it's Win 7 and still using last officially supported on that one.
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

Grant S wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:26 am Very interesting, motivation enough to replace that old motherboard just to have SLI back, I'm thinking. I notice in the fix manager it says EA's SW Battlefront "SLI working perfectly" reason enough to justify. That and a 1070 and hb bridge just sitting there aging.... That's it I'm doing it. Old drivers aren't an issue on that one, it's Win 7 and still using last officially supported on that one.
I'm not sure what card you have now, but having come from 1070 SLI myself, I'd be very wary.
It's fun to play with and the results can be very good, but I would argue that it's not really viable any more, unless you have a very specific use case.
Make sure you have your eyes open. If you already have most of the kit, then why not, but be prepared for a lot of fiddling.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

Thanks, yeah had them both running before, but the lower pcie slot on that older mobo got damaged. I stepped away from Nvidia when IZ3D and Tridef were around. SLI existed then but NV3D and SLI did not work together back then. I remember trying to get 3D working on an old 7950GX2 sandwich card and getting the warning about disable SLI for 3D.
Always prepared for fiddling when it comes to 3D or VR.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

If you have one of the old SLI bridges that used to be included with some GPUs, it will not work on the GTX 1070 AFAIK.

You need the HB (high bandwidth) SLI bridge.
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

I found that out the hard way at first when I first installed them, then I ordered the wrong one, first one was too long. You gave me an idea though. I'm assuming the lower slot has expanded, in that board, and not making contact toward the back of the card. When both GPU's are installed, with the HB bridge. The lower card isn't even detected. If I remove the lower card with nothing else in that slot, I get no picture on start-up. I must populate that socket with something after the card was removed the first time I start up after having the card in. A shorter pcie card in that slot and I can start up. Both cards work and test fine in the top slot to rule out card issue. Not much to go wrong with an HB bridge but that is something I hadn't considered or ruled out.
I've seen replacement mobo's for under $100 on many occasions but right now the cheapest I'm finding is closer to $300. I still want to go with exact replacement for a few different reasons. Going to wait until a more reasonable replacement can be sourced. In meantime I'm going to order another HB bridge to rule out a bridge problem.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”